• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Finally back in the land of decent internet connections and I've missed out on most of the last season. So what shows turned to shit in the end and what shows turned out good?

These shows were strong throughout and ended well:

Fate/Zero S2
Tsuritama
Dusk Maiden of Amensia

Shows with less than ideal endings:

Kids on the Slope

Average Shows

Mysterious Girlfriend X

Shows that haven't ended yet

Space Brothers
Eureka Seven Ao
AKB0048

Show's that turned out to be rubbish (or painfully boring)

Hyouka
Fujiko Lupin Za Third
Upotte
Sankarea

Seitokai Yakuindomo 03
M55Rx.jpg
Lesbian Voyeur with a much higher success rate it seems.
They are pretty right, it's not as great without the straight man responding to every joke. Average episode, humping deer notwithstanding.

I watched the first ep of this back at the beginning of the season and it was dreadful, surely it couldn't have been strong throughout?
sure was. Last few episodes were even better though.

NGE I am liking Asuka so far. before I started watching I thought Id like Rei more but she has been almost useless to this point.
The EVAs color schemes are so 90's.

Instro

There is no episode 1. Plus, it's right at the bottom of my list.

You're thinking of that duckroll guy.

That sounds like cheating to me!

Lafiel was the one who hyped Lupin, can we really take the chance of letting him hype something else?

Jex

At first glance it might look similar due to all the colours, but the artstyles of Tsuritama and Jinrui are really quite different.

You mean they drew those buildings in the background, rather than simply painted over a photo?

Yozakura Quartet - Hoshi no Umi

That... kind of made some sense but not really. There were too many characters and even the most focused on, Rin, wasn't fleshed out enough to give the emotional scenes revolving around her any impact. The whole setting and situation is poorly explained. What's the deal with this city? Why is this girl the mayor? How do these people know each other? How are the dual human and youkai worlds supposed to be set up? I'm sure this makes more sense in the manga, the readers of which are the primary audience for this, but as a stand-alone piece it's half-baked.

What isn't half-baked is the visuals. Attractive character designs and stunning action setpieces. A real showcase for the talent of gif animators. Ryo-chimo has his priorities.

Phi Brain 2 - 13
tumblr_m6ii689LnK1qb9i9c.png

I like this puzzle, S.J, Slide Junction
nice play on the initials later on when it was just revealed to be Jikukawa Souji senpai's name, nice.
. It was fun and carried the charm I expected from him and Kaito's silly face.

It brought up an interesting question of what would happen if Kaito had it as well as who would be able to save him. Thus far in the series only perhaps Rook or Nonoha could fit that roles.
Excelent episode as for the question it's obvious we'll get a mix of
nonoha cookies + rook speech + power of friendship ..
Bad Character Design Contest? Look no further than Melody of Oblivion.

VIVA MONSTER UNION!

evCZv.jpg

GHRko.jpg

I ...had forgotten .. why did you remind me of this show ?? so many things wrong in this anime i can't list them all

Jex

Kids on the slope 12:

Damn the ending was rushed as was whole series. Shame. Could have used extra 12 episodes. Still solid series though.

This seems to be one of the few things that (nearly) everyone agrees with. I agree that the way that they adapted the manga really required more episodes to flesh out certain elements of the show. However, if they had taken a different approach and adapted the source material less strictly, like with Wandering Son.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tari Tari 1

I really enjoyed the episode. For what it's worth, I think the musical theme and focal point is going to be much more interesting than what I'm normally exposed to from an anime. The cast is by far the most interesting and not because they follow stereotypes or because they have mysterious backgrounds that we have yet to uncover but because they are legitimately diverse. They don't seem to fit tropes that constantly permeate through every episode but that they evolve dynamically. I see the potential for these characters to change all the while not losing their identity.

Specifically I enjoy Miyamoto because she's optimistic, spirited, but understands her place while trying to get out of it. Sakai seems the most polarizing to me because of her facade in public and at home. The moment she steps into school her personality changed and I noticed it instantly.

The voicework is pretty good and I have no complaints so far. I thought the art style and the way the visuals looked was very similar to Hanasaku Iroha from the trailers but after seeing the episode it mixes the ambiance and color saturation of HI with the backgrounds and technical designs from True Tears and Angel Beats. I'm really interested in this show so far!

P.S. I also enjoyed the callback to True Tears with the choir singing. Reflectia choir version is needed now!

jinrui wa suitai shimashita - 01

I don't like the shading they layered onto everything. It's not Mine Fujiko-bad, but it's still distracting. Otherwise the art is good, if a bit bland; nice use of colors, but they at times look a bit washed out, lacking the kind of vibrancy I saw earlier in something like, say, tsuritama. A part of me wonders if this is some redemptive effort from the P4 dudes.

The color scheme is washed-out and pastel in nature all the time - I think that fits the understated, laid-back tone of the show better than Tsuritama's bright, energetic, happy colors would. The art is lacking in detail, but some of the shots, like the house I posted in my impressions, I really like. Nice world design.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Craziest OT i've seen was the AC Revelations OT.

With the recent spate of licenses from the new season, has anyone considered the possibility that cosmic is secretly a viral marketer for Sentai Filmworks?

this isn't a serious accusation, I'm only joking!

Narag

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 1

Unremarkable characters, annoying fanservice, ugly art, and I don't know what the fuck is going on. There's nothing redeeming about this but there's robots so I'll watch.

The past!

Mecha and a girls school. I guess that works out.

Standard issue uniforms. Thankfully they're issued jackets to hide their shame while on stand-by.

Sadly, the CG looks better than the hand drawn stuff in this!

Yozakura Quartet - Hoshi no Umi

That... kind of made some sense but not really. There were too many characters and even the most focused on, Rin, wasn't fleshed out enough to give the emotional scenes revolving around her any impact. The whole setting and situation is poorly explained. What's the deal with this city? Why is this girl the mayor? How do these people know each other? How are the dual human and youkai worlds supposed to be set up? I'm sure this makes more sense in the manga, the readers of which are the primary audience for this, but as a stand-alone piece it's half-baked.

What isn't half-baked is the visuals. Attractive character designs and stunning action setpieces. A real showcase for the talent of gif animators. Ryo-chimo has his priorities.

You do realize this is a sequel to the TV series, right?

Soma

I've been meaning to check out the Yozakura Quartet anime. I remember digging the few volumes of the manga I read... years ago.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 1

I'm... not sure what to make of this. At first it seems like a relatively cheerful post-apocalyptic world setting, but then it gets a bit surreal. But not TOO surreal to the point where it's simultaneously entertaining and "wut". For now, it's too damn subdued for me to make any kind of guesses on where it's going. I kind of felt that way about Madoka too in the first 2 episodes, so I'll at least stick with this for a few more, but I seriously have no clue what to expect...

I've been meaning to check out the Yozakura Quartet anime. I remember digging the few volumes of the manga I read... years ago.

Apparently the anime is bad outside the OVAs, cutting out important stuff and changing other stuff, making it even more confusing.

I would say just continue the manga and then watch the OVAs when you're caught up.

I thought it was supposed to be its own thing, a remake/reboot after manga fans were dissatisfied with the TV show.

Was it? I mean, it adapts chapters in the 40s, so kind of a weird place for a reboot. I guess they expected the audience to be fans of the manga (which makes sense if they were the ones that complained).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom