• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So is this going to be better or worse than Rico's Roughnecks?

Also, is that really the best reading of "You wanna live forever?" that they could get out of that actor? Wow.
Was that what the CG cartoon was called in Europe? I remember liking quite a bit back when it came out (I own the whole thing on DVD, I believe), but I have no idea if it holds up or not.

And I'm assuming that's Capser van Dien as Rico in the movie... and I'm sure he doesn't give a single fuck.

I still prefer Perfect Averything.
Pretty Amazing.
Presumptuous Allegory.
Pie Always.

Jex

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 01:

I'm no big fan of the fairies and the moral on natural vs. synthetic is pretty well telegraphed in advance, but neither of these appear to be truly important elements of the show at present.

For a start you should refer to them as 'post-humans'. I believe they'll be fairly important going forward and, well, basically the main crux of this episode was about what they get up to and who they are so I'd argue that they're already an important element of the show. Also, they feature pretty heavily in the amazing OP:

Post-Humans.jpg

Soma

Y'know the Jinrui OP was probably the first thing from nano.RIPE that didn't make me want to rip out my ears in disgust. :D

Jex

I'm in total agreement with Asuka. The subtitles I saw had her saying, "How disgusting." Though in retrospect, I think "I feel sick," would have been just a tiny, tiny bit more fitting for the sole benefit of just sticking it to Shinji because I hate him.

I prefer "I feel sick", personally. Even if that does lead to fan-theories
suggesting that Asuka is now pregnant. The best part about those theories is how stupid they are. Good times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Roughnecks holds up really well in the storytelling department and really, really badly in the animation department.

The opening is still god-tier though.
The OP is taken from that... Beethoven symphony, I believe.

It's funny, in terms of animation, the cartoon went through production hell and was basically passed along the two major North American CG studios... and in the process, killing one of them (Foundation Imaging, I believe?). I remember, after learning about the production and why they resorted to clip shows - they had to fill a 40 episode order but could only product 35 - it's a miracle that it came out at all... so I'm not at all surprised that it looks like crap. The fact that it's also 10 year old CG probably doesn't help either. lol

I do remember enjoying the story and being disappointed that they basically didn't have a chance to wrap it all up.

Jintor

Yeah, rewatching the first few episodes I noticed that they actually reuse footage of entire scenes (like, a firefight plays out the exact same way). Still, if you kind of treat it like a radio play it works out really well.

Jex

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS SEASON?

If i grew up spending my summer vacation watching craps like this, I would never get into anime.

May be I am just getting old, can someone young and innocent verify that this season suck?

Every season is like this, to a greater or lesser extent. Seasons like Spring 2012 are far rarer.

I'm in total agreement with Asuka. The subtitles I saw had her saying, "How disgusting." Though in retrospect, I think "I feel sick," would have been just a tiny, tiny bit more fitting for the sole benefit of just sticking it to Shinji because I hate him.
I still have absolutely no idea why he chokes her like that... it's one of the most confusing things about EoE, which I liked less than the TV season regardless.

Is there actually an explanation for what in the world was going on there?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, rewatching the first few episodes I noticed that they actually reuse footage of entire scenes (like, a firefight plays out the exact same way). Still, if you kind of treat it like a radio play it works out really well.
That's probably how they should have finished it. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
For a start you should refer to them as 'post-humans'. I believe they'll be fairly important going forward and, well, basically the main crux of this episode was about what they get up to and who they are so I'd argue that they're already an important element of the show. Also, they feature pretty heavily in the amazing OP:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Post-Humans.jpg

I don't think that I intended to imply that the post-humans/fairies would never be important. They're certainly already the major driving force behind the events of the first episode, albeit largely from the background while Watashi receives her initial introduction/characterization. My denial of the fairies'/post-humans' current importance is just an extension of my personal dislike for their design and demeanor, not any attempt to deny their role in the series.

Jex

[Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita] - 1

This seems to have all the makings of my favourite show of the season. The shows satirical and somewhat dark tone struck the right cord with me at least and I found myself laughing on numerous occasions.

There's already been quite a bit of discussion on this show. it's humour and it's world building so I will try not to cover any ground that's already been discussed.

Anyway, in terms of humour the show employs a number of different tactics and I won't go into all of them here. One extremely noticeable move the show uses is 'subverting expectations'. So for example this shot of a girl walking through an idyllic rural village:

Jinrui1.jpg

Leading to her delivering this line:

Jinrui2.jpg

It's not what you were expecting.

There's also some 'hanging' humour where something is set up earlier and then resolved much later. For example:

Jinrui3.jpg

Jinrui4.jpg

It's not strictly a joke, per say, but it's built up on something set up earlier.

One of the most interesting aspects of the show is the character of the Mediator herself. On the surface she appears to a fairly carefree girl but in reality she's quick to use scheme and manipulate others. Those aren't the things that interest me most about her though - what I really enjoy is the way she approaches her work.

In anime the majority of people are either really good at their job or they strive to be really good at their job. Mediator-chan strives to escape responsibility and actual work whenever possible, she only acts so that she gives the appearance of working but really she can't be bothered to do anything. She exerts more energy covering up for her own incompetence than actually working. That's a pretty interesting character trait.

Jinrui5.jpg

Makoto

I still have absolutely no idea why he chokes her like that... it's one of the most confusing things about EoE, which I liked less than the TV season regardless.

In respect to the hedgehog's dilemma, I interpreted it as the two hedgehogs saying, "Screw it." And finally getting closer for warmth even if it meant poking each other with their quills (i.e. Shinji choking Asuka and Asuka lamenting the situation). Shinji has accepted his needs for other people as well as the fact that life is not without pain and he establishes it by clutching Asuka's neck only to release it as soon as she touches his face. There's a desire both of them have for each other no matter how much friction there is between them.

I like to think of the phrase, "Women, you can't live with them and you can't live without them." Though replace "women," with "people," and that's what I think Shinji has essentially accepted by rejecting Instrumentality. That's one of the general messages of the ending, to me at least.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
SHINING HEARTS 1-12

So many things wrong with this anime..

The elves ? Uncessary .
The girl who wants to make ice cream ? unnecessary ..

i understand that fillers exist in many animes but when you see how badly done the overall execution is ..i'm puzzled ..

Rick bread is delicious , so delicious it giveeveryone hapiness even royalty..
When rick is confused then the bread isn't as good as before and most of the cast isn't as happy as before too ...

I'm seriously confused as if this is like i think a badly done adaptation of the game or if indeed the gameis as insipid and bland.. i mean i did witness the most stupid thief in a castle in a long time. As for the prince , his decision don't make any sense..I loved how he did promise to give back the content of the box once this affair is done yet never does ..

i think the storm in ep2 had the cast more concerned than the fleet in the ending ...

1/10 ..i can't even recommand this anime ..it's not funny , no fights , cast is uneven especially since they all tend toward the bottom of the barrel, music is average , and the plot is a mess ..

It sounds like not even the euphemism method of watching could save it in the end. Truly irredeemable.

I'm going to catch up on it some time this week

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

After he refused Instrumentality, Shinji wanted to make sure that he was back in a world where "others" existed. So his first impulse was to strangle Asuka, who, representing all the "others", rejected him - something that wouldn't be possible in the sea of LCL.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuru Yuri S2 1

Well I managed to finish season 1 in time and liked it well enough. Now I expect more of the same silly nonsense from season 2, so I'll just sit down and start it and enjoy myse--

Wait...

Who the hell is this?!?!
iobNWfTFyfG0D.gif

A year on and people still can't get the Akari joke right.

This is how it works.

To the people posting GIFs of shows: Are you making those yourselves or are you grabbing them from somewhere? Just curious.
I'd say 90%+ of gifs I've posted in this thread I've made myself. This includes some jokes gifs as well. I discovered a really easy way to make them on OS X (since most guides are Windows based) after a lot of experimenting. Also hardly anyone makes Mitsudomoe gifs anymore.

So yuru yuri s2 must be watched tonight for me eh?

And from those gifs, did they get a budget boost this season??
Literally from the get go you feel the budget has increase. The OP and ED seem to support this theory as well.

Best character gets best animation?
China?

So about Yuru Yuri. Do males simply not exist in their world? Akari has two Mothers, and I don't recal seeing a male in season 1.
1. They do exist. Watch the New Years episode.
2. That was her mother and older sister. Hopefully the latter will be making more appearances this series.

You need to learn to understand British English.
If we follow English standards set out by the Brits, teletext subtitles presents sarcasm as an exclamation mark between to brackets, like so (!).

Jinrui has a good ED. I actually watched it.
A real man watches all OPs and EDs every week.
Or has been running in the background while you browse GAF

Dresden

yuri yuri two - 01

I have dim memories of watching the first episode back in season one, and being quite unimpressed. Enjoyed this one more. Also feeling an urge to end myself.
  • These must be one of the worst school uniforms ever. The frocks look like something they give to pregnant women with the hems chopped short.
  • I would've watched the OP if the song wasn't so annoying. Ditto for ED. Saw Toshino Kyouko's dance via gifs so I didn't lose out on much, most likely.
  • The first half--Akarin's delusion--was pretty amusing. Some nice visual gags, which holds true for the whole episode, actually. It's pretty good stuff.
  • I enjoyed the second half more. It reminds me somewhat of Working if that show had no shame and Poplar and Yamada got naked all the time and there was steam everywhere. The show-within-a-show was fun; I think I enjoyed it a little too much thanks to Midorikawa and Aoi Yuuki. The dissonance of the former's sexy voice coming out of whatever the fuck that thing was, well, amusing, I guess.
  • I have no idea if I want to watch anymore of this, but I did enjoy this episode. Time to go lash myself a few times as penance.

Campione! 1

It's like someone combined Shadow of the Colossus and Neil Gaiman's American Gods then passed it through an ANIME! filter. Very awesome, but also very likely to end up being a horrific disappointment.

Bonus points for giving harem bullshit and MC nancypantsery the middle finger by having the lead characters have an extended makeout session in the first episode.

Point penalty for having the most aesthetically bland protagonist possible and giving him a sissy voice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hate my Kuroko's Basketball related OCD:

eUvgSl.jpg

I don't know anything about sports, but I don't think it works like that. But hey, maybe they have jump counts in the same way they have pitch counts.

Also, this was the first time that I noticed the dub step in the OST... and I think it's the first time I've heard it in anime at all. Does this mean that the world is now doomed?

Brazil

Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan 12 -END-

FOQUr.jpg

I'm such a noble.

The future of the world is in your hands, Rick. But its fate is not on your shoulders. It came into form because of the convergence of everyone's feelings. If everyone's feelings are intertwined, the world may live on. So pick up your legendary sword of blandness, spread your wings and fight the random lizard boss to save the girl who in fact isn't even from this world we're talking so much about and has no influence upon it whatsoever.

We'll aid you with random runic barriers and the shot from an immobile cannon that's under the dwarf's house which was apparently built only for this moment. Oh, and the girl with no memories of her past? She'll start giving her mechanical guardian doll orders through telepathy. And the pirates are just showing off - they have no purpose.

CpuXv.jpg

The barriers protecting the sky are the most useful ones.

Hey, there was an explosion and something blue flew! Let's all celebrate!

"I'm basically dead, Kaguya." "Hmm, something smells good!" "Must be the bread I was keeping in my pants this whole time!"

TFzVE.jpg

I hid it between my balls.

"It's delicious!" "Of course! It's the bread of happiness, after all." "Did you make it?" "No." "It isn't yours?" "Yup." "But did someone else other than you make it?" "That's right." "So that means you didn't bake it?" "Yes." "Why won't you bake anymore?" "Because I'm freaking dying." "You're just like me, then. I don't want to hurt others! I wonder why. I'm happy I was born. The sun and wind feels great! That's alright with me. I'm tired now. I don't want to look at anything anymore. Rick, you're tired, right? You can sleep here, until you want to wake up." "Might as well."

The guy in the harp will now write a new song in homage to your actions, Rick. Because whilst bearing the desires of every soul, this world continues to spin, like an endless dream, brimming with color. And so we are waiting to wake up. But it'll hurt when we do!

"Rick accomplished something I can't even begin to comprehend," says the prince. But it's actually pretty simple. He almost died in a sword fight against a huge lizard, then his stone started shining, and finally something blue flew. What's not to understand? I guess it doesn't matter, though, since this is just the beginning. "Will Rick forgive me for giving him all this castle's treasures, though?"

"Rick, please come back soon!" "Erm, I'm right here. Baking."

Wy40D.jpg

What? Nothing happened.

"The temperature of the oven is different today, huh? There are hot days, and there are cold days." "That's true, but getting the right temperature isn't hard. And the quality of the flame is what matters!" "Are there good and bad flames?!" "Yeah! You need a good flame to make delicious bread!" "You blow my mind." "Wanna know more?" "I want to, but... Will I understand it?" "A skill is a map based on the failures of the people who tried doing something before. A map can guide people. If you follow a certain route, you'll fail. But if you follow another route, you'll succeed. Just follow the map, and it'll take form. It must be very hard to walk the way others have told you to! But it can be easy too. But if you follow their path, one day you'll have to stop. Will you create your own path then? Or will you wait until someone creates it for you? Either is ok. Stopping or moving forward, who cares."

LLpF5.jpg

And so we learned everything there is to know about the difference between good and bad flames.

Truly a wonderful, fruitful journey, this one was. I mean, the pirate left the old chick alone with their kid to search for One Piece; the cat girl fixed a doll and a bell; the dwarf wandered aimlessly among rubble; the elves ate bread - all their compelling arcs ended in really satisfying ways. What happened to Kaguya? Who cares! I sure as hell don't.

Have some bread.

nDXpu.jpg

Choke on it.

Dresden

*7,834 *1 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*7,510 *1 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*7,309 *1 AKB0048 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*5,579 *1 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,698 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,138 *1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,499 *1 Jormungand [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25

*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*2,180 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*2,156 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*1,206 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27

**,882 *1 Kimi to Boku. 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,612 *1 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,*** *0 Sankarea [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29

---

firehawk12

Subete no aware

*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*2,180 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*2,156 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*1,206 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27

**,882 *1 Kimi to Boku. 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,612 *1 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,*** *0 Sankarea [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29

---

Man, Tsuritama dying is sad. Kimi to Boku dying is expected though. A mostly all boy's show is death in anime but probably would have killed if it was live action.

Also, you took out your tiers? :p

Brazil