• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Campione - 1

This was better than Muv-Luv and Arcana Famiglia, although that's not saying much. At least ti doesn't look that bad, there's some cute animation, although I don't think that will last long. I'll probably watch this, hopefully it's 12 episodes.

jman2050

Boo, Hyouka is neither a Nichibomba nor a runaway hit. Just a boring solid seller in a sea of solid sellers.

What will KyoAni trolls and fanboys do now? :(

Instro

Boo, Hyouka is neither a Nichibomba nor a runaway hit. Just a boring solid seller in a sea of solid sellers.

What will KyoAni trolls and fanboys do now? :(

It's ok, we can try again the next time they have a show. I'll just continue watching superior awesome Hyouka. :)

Also, poor Bones and Tsuritama.

Soma

Man its been like 2 hours since I completely finished Evangelion, and I already ordered an Asuka and Rei figure...
They got me.
-_-'

e265B.jpg

Uta Koi 1

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from this, but it turns out to be an anthology of short stories, each one focusing on some couple whose romance inspired one of the 100 Poems used in karuta. This episode featured two stories: the first is about a man's illicit affair with a woman betrothed to the emperor (leaving no doubt about what this is trying to piggyback off of, this opening tale is about the "Chihayafuru" poem); the second is about his older brother who must leave his wife after being assigned a distant government post.

The low budget of this show is obvious; the animation is rather minimal. While the general aesthetic is not ugly, the designs do lack character. My least favorite part of the episode were the comedic moments - although one or two of them worked, more often they felt out-of-place and a jarring contrast with the overall tone. However, the traditional Japanese atmosphere was satisfactorily conveyed, thanks to good music, appropriate voice acting, and from time to time some attractive art:

I feel the appeal of this show is kind of limited; the formal elegance of high society in feudal Japan isn't for everyone, and the length of the stories doesn't give much opportunity to extensively flesh out the characters. But as a hopeless romantic with an interest in the culture of feudal Japan, I like it. It's not spectacular but it's enjoyable. If you find the following poses attractive, you will probably enjoy it too:

Sadly, the OP and ED songs are bad. Well, the OP isn't too bad, but who thought rap would be appropriate for a historical romance?

An anime adaptation of shoujo manga Kami-sama Hajimemashita (Kamisama Kiss) has been announced.

The story follows a girl named Nanami who finds herself homeless after her father leaves. She comes to the home of a boy who offers to let her stay over — only to discover it is a Shinto shrine. The boy happens to be a deity.

Director: Akitaro Daichi (Fruits Basket; Now and Then, Here and There; Poyopoyo)
Character Designer: Junko Yamanaka (Detective Conan, Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple)
Studio: TMS Entertainment

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm sure there's some cute flaw that he has. Perhaps he likes to eat cake all the time.
Maybe he's always grouchy and inconsiderate...

... but beneath his visage is tortured and compassionate soul.

</YAfic>

According to the official Twitter, it appears to be a solo effort by ryochimo. I hope that means we'll get to see him work on the actual show as well.

(Wow, I came out of my lurking.)

Oh hey, are you the same Katapan who posts at animesuki? I got the news from your post there, so thanks. Wouldn't have guessed Ryo-chimo from the OP, but that's interesting. Hopefully it leads to some good animation.

fertygo

Who woulda thought, Kuroko no Basket will became the best seller of the season (beside Fate/Zero, the number still not came out, but the sign is there)

such a bizzare season lol

Katapan

Neo Member
Oh hey, are you the same Katapan who posts at animesuki?

Yup.

On the subject of Kamisama Hajimemashita: the French editor releasing the manga here has pointed out that it'd be airing this fall. With this, Sukitte Iinayo and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, we're probably heading towards some kind of record for the most shoujo series adapted in the same season. And they're probably all going to bomb together! :(

Yup.

On the subject of Kamisama Hajimemashita: the French editor releasing the manga here has pointed out that it'd be airing this fall. With this, Sukitte Iinayo and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, we're probably heading towards some kind of record for the most shoujo series adapted in the same season. And they're probably all going to bomb together! :(

As long as sales of the manga increase, I suppose that's what really matters.

wonzo

Banned
I prefer "I feel sick", personally. Even if that does lead to fan-theories
suggesting that Asuka is now pregnant. The best part about those theories is how stupid they are. Good times.
i guess that would expalin what shinji did with his hand after that scene

*7,834 *1 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*7,510 *1 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*7,309 *1 AKB0048 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*5,579 *1 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,698 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,138 *1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,499 *1 Jormungand [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25

*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*2,180 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*2,156 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*1,206 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27

**,882 *1 Kimi to Boku. 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,612 *1 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,*** *0 Sankarea [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29

---
goddamnit

The Natsuyuki Rendevous OP is now available on the official website.
that was some nice animated hair

Firemind

Is it supposed to be comedy or drama. I can't tell.

YES. My hatred of anime comedy is great, but weirdly I tend to like funny things that Daichi directs. Furuba was an excellent adaptation, so fingers crossed for this one too!

What is wrong with you!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Slash film? I should sue for false advertising. I thought this was going to be a site about slash films.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 14

Once upon a time, gods slacked of when they became newly-weds, wearing old women's skin and journeying to the west brought good fortune and manners played second fiddle to rollin' the shit outta those mothafuckin' boiled potatoes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That Akari is a lie.

Guess I should be thankful I took a break from animegaf when the first season aired.

To be fair, that other place people go for anime discussion is far worse for that joke and the true source of why I'm a bit tired of the joke.

[post=30655510]I'm not going to pretend I've made Akari jokes before[/post].

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You mean über cute, right?

Yes, indeed. Sorry, don't know how to type that "u" right. >>;

Yeah, she's her too, isn't she? lol
At least she's the best character in that god awful show!

I think I'm gonna sulk in a corner and cry as I'm the only one who likes Hyouka... ;_;

*7,834 *1 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29---

Okay, me and a mere 7,800 people-ish. Considering the budget it's still pretty bomba though... I fear for KyoAni's future. ;_;

Defuser

*7,834 *1 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*7,510 *1 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*7,309 *1 AKB0048 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*5,579 *1 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,698 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,138 *1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,499 *1 Jormungand [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25

*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*2,180 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*2,156 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*1,206 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27

**,882 *1 Kimi to Boku. 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,612 *1 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,*** *0 Sankarea [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29

---
Tsuritama bombing and shows like Natsui iro Kiseki and Sengoku collection selling is a fucking travesty.

sonicmj1

Tsuritama 9-12/END

That was pretty awesome. The conclusion is a worthy payoff for the development of all the characters, as well as the plot. I'm a sucker for a great story about maturity, and this delivered well beyond my expectations.

I was very worried about the show when I started it, because all the characters begin in a pretty rough place. They're anti-social, inconsiderate, and often abrasive. But it doesn't take long for them to start to bond and grow, and the show blossoms as we watch them progress. By the end, it's incredibly satisfying to see how far they've come. It's a great show about friendship, and the joy of sharing something you love with people that you care for.

I definitely wouldn't have expected this a few weeks into the season, but it's probably my second-favorite show of the season, behind the obvious candidate. Even when the characters start as outrageous, farcical caricatures, they grow into complex individuals. And I like the art a lot, though I can't really explain why. There's some pretty cool sakuga in the last few episodes, too.

I'm very satisfied.
Though those sales are criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom