• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
they will sell enough BD/DVDs of the next K-On! movie.

so KyoAni can make more K-On! stuff... yay!

Not that I wouldn't be okay with more K-On! stuff, but I'd love to see another new hit from KyoAni. I hate to say it, but they probably would have had more success with that Little Busters whatever 'cause, you know, Key.

Outside of Fate/Zero and AO, Hyouka was far and away my favorite show of last season and continues to be at the top of my list each week heading into this season.

Nakama! :D

wonzo

Banned
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 5.5

tamayura5.5.jpg
tamayura5.5a.jpg
tamayura5.5b.jpg
tamayura5.5c.jpg

;________;

Usually these BD/DVD only eps are just an afterthought or where they dump a boatload of trashy fanservice but fortunately this wasn't the case for this episode as it was easily one of the strongest episodes yet of Tamayura ~hitotose~. The way in which everything came together for the final scene where
Fuu looked at her fathers blurry, undeveloped photo's only to be immediately with a cut to the ED but with a mix of Fuu and her father's blurry photos replacing what was usually displayed before
was masterfully done and I'd be lying if I said it didn't bring a tear to my eye.

Now the painful wait for season 2 begins anew. :(

Firemind

What's wrong with Natsui iro Kiseki? Genuine question since I haven't bothered to watch it and it's done by Sunrise, so you'd expect fireworks. Or train wrecks. Or both.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What's wrong with Natsui iro Kiseki? Genuine question since I haven't bothered to watch it and it's done by Sunrise, so you'd expect fireworks. Or train wrecks. Or both.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't do anything special either. It's a neat slice of life show about friendship with a couple of bad episodes and some enjoyable ones.

duckroll

Spring 2012 Review

What I watched
Fate/Zero [Complete]
Saint Seiya Omega [Ongoing]
Hyouka [Halfway]
AKB0048 [Almost over]
Lupin the Third - Fujiko is a Boring Woman [Complete]
Kids on the Slope [Complete]
Tsuritama [Complete]
Eureka Seven AO [Halfway]

----

Best shows of the season
Fate/Zero - Great production values, strong writing, solid characters, and an exciting premise which keeps entertaining to the very end. Great range of emotions throughout the series with some really powerful high points and amazing consistency all round.

Tsuritama - Upbeat, quirky, and filled with heart. The best thing about the series is how it remains true to the core theme to the end, raising the stakes with each episode while developing the story and characters as it builds momentum all the way to the climax.

Other good shows in the season
Kids on the Slope - Overall it was a good show with some really strong high points. Unfortunately the attempt to adapt the entire 9 volume manga series into a mere 12 episodes meant that a lot of character development and pacing was left on the cutting room floor, resulting in a weak supporting cast and a disjointed sense of pacing and time.

Eureka Seven AO - As a follow up to the original series this sequel takes a less traditional route while going for something more unorthodox and riskier. While much of the art, flow, and music feels true to the original series, the narrative format and overall direction is drastically different. Yet this all seems to play into the grand scheme of things, as the central mystery in the show begins to revolve around how the sequel is truly connected to the original, and why things are so different... and sometimes so wrong.

Decent stuff from the season I kinda enjoyed
AKB0048 - While I initially started watching it mostly to see how bad it could possibly be, it turned out to be actually enjoyable in many ways. That's not to say the production values are particularly good, nor is the story really well written. It's mostly stupid, and often ugly. But there's still some sort of charm there which makes it entertaining in a crazy messed up sort of way.

Hyouka - A lavishly produced show with incredible art and animation, and some insane attention to detail. Unfortunately it is also an adaptation of a set of novels which if this series is any indication, is really boring and mundane. How good an episode is tends to depend heavily on how interesting the events of that episode are. Unfortunately more often than not, it fails to deliver, but when it does those episode are really, really special.

I'm not even really watching this...
Saint Seiya Omega - I can't really say I'm still watching this regularly, since other than the first 6 episodes or so, I've only watched it once every few weeks. I don't really like following long series to begin with, and the lackluster Toei production values on most of the episodes aren't really inviting.

Fucking garbage
Lupin the Turd - Fujiko the Boring Slutwhore - Watching this show is like getting shit shoved down your throat forcefully while someone pees into your eyes being held open by rusty staplers. I wish I never bothered.

Jex

I didn't realise that an AWO bonus podcast has gone up at the end of last month. There are no reviews this time around because it's just Daryl talking on his own. He discusses Sakura-Con and, more importantly responds to a number of emails.

One of them appears to be from a member of AnimeGAF. I know this because Daryl notes that:

Daryl said:
NeoGAF is a terrible forum and a frequent 'Shit Otaku Say' contributor.

It looks like our online reputation is growing by the day! Keep up the good work, everyone.

duckroll

Disclaimer: This is all based on my experience watching episode 1. It was pretty bad so I never continued.

It's boring and uninteresting. There's nothing wrong with the premise or the setting, but the actual direction of the show falls flat and the performances (both the voice acting and the animation/storyboarding) of the characters simply don't engage in any way. Slice of life shows live and die by how interesting the characters are and how willing the audience is to relate with the characters and follow their daily lives. There's nothing here but an empty void filled with a sense of cheap hollow marketing for an idol unit trying to be popular in more than one industry.

faridmon

Damn, I feel I am out of the loop of Anime since I have no idea of any of the shows that are on the OP.

and once upon a time, Anime was all I ever had.

Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan 12 -END-

The future of the world is in your hands, Rick. But its fate is not on your shoulders.
----
Have some bread.
what a great way to summarise this trainwreck ..

It looks like our online reputation is growing by the day! Keep up the good work, everyone.
What did we do so that everyone else has some snarky remark to say about whatever aspect of our discussions.
I guess it's the new "cool" thing to hate ...

Jex

What did we do so that everyone else has some snarky remark to say about whatever aspect of our discussions.

Well, I think it has something to do with the fact that someone keeps submitting posts from this form to the 'Shit Otaku Say' blog. It doesn't paint us in the best light!

Brazil

Think of it this way: while they clearly are concerned about what we say and discuss, we don't even know them.

We're on top.

Well, I think it has something to do with the fact that someone keeps submitting posts from this form to the 'Shit Otaku Say' blog. It doesn't paint us in the best light!

Dammit, Branduil.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One of them appears to be from a member of AnimeGAF. I know this because Daryl notes that:

Daryl said:
NeoGAF is a terrible forum and a frequent 'Shit Otaku Say' contributor.

Well lucky for this Daryl chap, I'll be in Hyde park this Saturday. If he would like to say that to my face offline rather than via his microphone then he is welcome to.

Brazil

Well lucky for this Daryl chap, I'll be in Hyde park this Saturday. If he would like to say that to my face offline rather than via his microphone then he is welcome to.

BGBW will defend our honor with his fists.

Jex

Anyway, it's not really indicative of anything. Daryl just happens to know the Colony Drop guys and read their Shit Otaku Say blog so it's a pretty small network.
Disclaimer: This is all based on my experience watching episode 1. It was pretty bad so I never continued.

It's boring and uninteresting. There's nothing wrong with the premise or the setting, but the actual direction of the show falls flat and the performances (both the voice acting and the animation/storyboarding) of the characters simply don't engage in any way. Slice of life shows live and die by how interesting the characters are and how willing the audience is to relate with the characters and follow their daily lives. There's nothing here but an empty void filled with a sense of cheap hollow marketing for an idol unit trying to be popular in more than one industry.

All things considered, this is less brutal than my review.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Anyway, it's not really indicative of anything. Daryl just happens to know the Colony Drop guys and read their Shit Otaku Say blog so it's a pretty small network.
It's indicative of something -- you should stop listening to bad podcasts and reading bad blogs that insult you!

Jex

It's indicative of something -- you should stop listening to bad podcasts and reading bad blogs that insult you!

If I avoided all the blogs and podcasts that, at some time or another had made fun of NeoGAF I wouldn't have much to listen to or read! At least, in the gaming space.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've never seen the fourth channel insult us and they hate everyone so I guess that counts for something.

Also technically Daryl said we are worse than Gaia Online and MAL COMBINED!

If you're going to fight him, at least have the courtesy of having your friend film it so you can post the sight of a fistfight between animu fans to Youtube so the entire Internet can watch!

Knowing the Colony Drop people and reading their blog should be a crime to begin with. BGBW threatening to cave Daryl's cranium in shouldn't even be necessary!

You're saying duckroll is a criminal?

Wait, we all know ducky and this is even a question?! :< Every time he hypes a Bones show, he is committing a crime!
Poor ducky. Huhuhu~

The fact that you claim ducky reads Colony Drop even further damages the credibility of his list of people who you can listen to that was posted a few pages back!

*7,834 *1 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*7,510 *1 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*7,309 *1 AKB0048 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*5,579 *1 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,698 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,138 *1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,499 *1 Jormungand [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25

*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*2,180 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*2,156 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*1,206 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27

**,882 *1 Kimi to Boku. 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,612 *1 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,*** *0 Sankarea [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29

---

Sometimes, Japan really disappoints me.

fertygo

Tsuritama bombing and shows like Natsui iro Kiseki and Sengoku collection selling is a fucking travesty.

its not like both show selling good anyway, Sengoku coll v1 sell 3000k (its not good number anyway) copy because its bundled with some kind of ticket, V2 sold less than half of that. Natsu-iro v1 is on discount.

In general no one striking home run on sales this season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you're going to fight him, at least have the courtesy of having your friend film it so you can post the sight of a fistfight between animu fans to Youtube so the entire Internet can watch!

[thread=478079]Well I am going to Hyde Park to meet people.[/thread] This sudden reputation of being a fighter is rather interesting seeing as I am a rather non violent person.

Defuser

Yuru yuri S2
Dat Akarin delusion dream. Still the same but good ol show which is fun to watch.

JaHWn.jpg

Chitanda what are you doing in my Yuru Yuri.

what a great way to summarise this trainwreck ..

Trainwreck? I still need to catch the last two episodes but based on the screens and at least comments, it seemed like Shining Hearts Bread of Happiness took an actually surprising and fun turn, not that it wasn't before, but wow, at Rick, definitely up there for best protagonist of the season.

Well if I did a list of the best five protagonists of the spring it would probably be

1. Amata / Rick (Aquarion Evol / Shining Hearts)
2. Ao (E7 AO)
3. Kouga (Saint Seiya Omega)
4. Yuki (Tsuritama)
5. Oreki (Hyouka)

duckroll

You're saying duckroll is a criminal?

Well while watching AKB0048 Ep10 earlier, I certainly felt like a criminal... :(

The fact that you claim ducky reads Colony Drop even further damages the credibility of his list of people who you can listen to that was posted a few pages back!

I don't just read Colony Drop. I know the people who run the site, they're good friends of mine. I've also contributed to the site before! There's no shame in telling the world harsh truths about anime.

I don't just read Colony Drop. I know the people who run the site, they're good friends of mine. I've also contributed to the site before! There's no shame in telling the world harsh truths about anime.

I've reserved the bulk of my comments for the PM. I really have little more to say here. Nevertheless, even though I know you aren't being serious, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that opinions are subjective and contain no substantive objective basis on which any concept of truth can be based.

duckroll

I've reserved the bulk of my comments for the PM. I really have little more to say here. Nevertheless, even though I know you aren't being serious, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that opinions are subjective and contain no substantive objective basis on which any concept of truth can be based.

It might help if you knew wtf you were talking about once in a while before talking about it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom