• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Moyashimon 7

NVdec.png

Finally, a great moment in this anime.

Discussion of
which girl would you give an aphrodisiac
and all.

This episode was surprisingly entertaining.

I will watch the next episode just for this occasion.

Jex

Ok so I just watched Evangelion 2.0 and enjoyed it alot more than the tv series.
Shinji is less annoying and Rei isn't just there.

I am sorry to hear that.

Let me rephrase that, I am glad you enjoyed yourself, but now I am going to have to put you on a list of people who enjoy Rebuild more than the original show. It's not a good list.

I am sorry to hear that.

Let me rephrase that, I am glad you enjoyed yourself, but now I am going to have to put you on a list of people who enjoy Rebuild more than the original show. It's not a good list.
I didn't watch the first yet(because Asuka is my favorite character by far) so not a sure thing yet.

Ah, but you see while I am "posting here" I can also do about five other things at the same time. When I sit down to watch something (or play something) I like to focus solely on that activity.
Hopefully driving isn't one of them! Oh wait, I forgot about your butler.

Jex

Is this how you're going to justify not watching stuff?

I don't particularly like the arguments for Determinism, they're just generally more impressive than the arguments for Metaphysical Libertarianism. (Of course I shouldn't pretend that there are only two positions).

Well, that's built on the assumption that we have free will.

Whether we have free will in actuality or not, practically speaking we have to live under the assumption that we do. If you do not act as if you can make choices, you will soon be dead.

You're talking to a Christian.

While my religious beliefs do impact my philosophical beliefs, Christians are divided on the subject of free will, and so my being one alone is not enough to determine which side of the matter I'm on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Philoanimegaf up in this.

My stance: The universe is deterministic, but that does not absolve people from responsibility for their actions. It's just the responsibility is predetermined as well.

Jex

Whether we have free will in actuality or not, practically speaking we have to live under the assumption that we do. If you do not act as if you can make choices, you will soon be dead.

There's a different between living one's life as a hard fatalist (I can't think of many people like that) and living as a determinist. Namely, hard fatalists wouldn't live very long.

Practically, however, I chose to ignore Determinism because I don't like the implications that it raises.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tari Tari 01:

Yeah, this ain't Hanasaku Iroha by any stretch of the imagination. Even on its own merits, nothing about this first episode managed to particularly capture my interest. There's a school club and a pretty nondescript circle of friends from which there are two girls appear to be positioned as the "real" main characters. They have established aspirations, and the first episode is heavy on interaction between them, but the episode's attempts to make me identify with them fell flat. I don't expect any series to fully flesh out a character in a single episode, but there could have been much better character chemistry between the two friends from the get-go to compensate for the slow drip of actual development.

I blame everything on the incredibly creepy eyes.

Jex

I'll add to what RurouniZel said: welcome to the club of sad human beings who will never be able to experience the wonders of Steins;Gate for the first time ever again!

I am pretty sure that a combination of toxins and physical abuse could permentantly damage your ability to store memories and allow you to enjoy Steins;Gate as if it were new series every time.

I really do not recommend going down that path though.

Jex

Tiger & Bunny 1-6
Holy cow, that thing is GOOD. Funny, fast-paced action. That "Over and Out" attack in ep.5...
More animes like this ?

If you're looking for any recent, modern shows in the vein of Tiger and Bunny...well there aren't any. I am sorry, that's just not something that the industry is really interested in producing.

While my religious beliefs do impact my philosophical beliefs, Christians are divided on the subject of free will, and so my being one alone is not enough to determine which side of the matter I'm on.
How can you be a Christian and not believe in free will? To clarify, I see most Christians as just monotheists who believe in a god that very much resembles the Christian god.

Jex

Uta Koi 1

iy7w3yJxwCQKU.jpg

[...] If you have any interest in 100 poets of Karuta then I think this is worth checking out.

Something about this made me laugh. I mean, it's such a niche topic that if you're already a Karuta/poets nerd you've probably already Uta Koi out because what other anime will ever be about this.

So like, what the hell happened with Fujiko Mine? I wanted to watch it, but now I'm not so sure with the way y'all talk about it like it's the plague.

The first two episodes were promising, but in the end it devolved into a big, dull mess with mediocre production values, uninteresting characters, and an idiotic plot. I ended up dropping it midway through, so other people can fill you in on the full horrors.

I am pretty sure that a combination of toxins and physical abuse could permentantly damage your ability to store memories and allow you to enjoy Steins;Gate as if it were new series every time.

I suspect such a path would also permanently damage your ability to enjoy Steins;Gate.

If you're looking for any recent, modern shows in the vein of Tiger and Bunny...well there aren't any. I am sorry, that's just not something that the industry is really interested in producing.

Zetman kind of tried to piggyback on the Tiger and Bunny craze; unfortunately it was a very poor adaptation.

How can you be a Christian and not believe in free will? To clarify, I see most Christians as just monotheists who believe in a god that very much resembles the Christian god.

What Jexhius said; the Calvinist/Armenian debate has been going on for centuries and you'll find a wide range of positions on determinism and free will between the two extremes.

Jex

I suspect such a path would also permanently damage your ability to enjoy Steins;Gate.

As my rather lengthy-debates with Erigu demonstrated I did have a number of serious problems with Steins;Gate. I don't know if they were as permanently damaging to my enjoyment of the show as the production values/direction but it didn't help.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lupin the Third - Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna 12-13 -END-

So basically this entire series didn't mean anything. It wasn't the story of Mine Fujiko.
It was the story of some random girl.
How cute. And this final episode was a treat, huh? Ridiculous amounts of exposition and random twists with no real purpose being thrown at the viewers while someone screamed "Shut up! Stop talking!"

Oh, well. Overall, this show was pure nonsense. I can list a couple of good things that came out of it, though:

- Episode 1;
- Episode 2;
- NIKIIE's "Duty Friend";
- The cool wall-letter thingies in the last episode.

And that's it.

Ultimadrago

Moyashimon 8

The things people do for lust love!

As for the
final boss
, I had to chuckle. Any festival similar to this in reality would demand hours of fond memories
and a killer budget in fans, costumes and headwear.

A moderately neat couple of episodes.

And of course, the "result" was quite amusing.

As my rather lengthy-debates with Erigu demonstrated I did have a number of serious problems with Steins;Gate. I don't know if they were as permanently damaging to my enjoyment of the show as the production values/direction but it didn't help.

You certainly did a good job of convincing me not to watch the show.

Jex

Lupin the Third - Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna 12-13 -END-

Ridiculous amounts of exposition and random twists with no real purpose being thrown at the viewers while someone screamed "Shut up! Stop talking!"

Could you please stop bashing Eureka Seven Ao?

Jex

Moyashimon 8

A moderately neat couple of episodes.

I still don't think you should have just jumped into the show by skipping to episode 7 but whatever. I suppose you can always go back and revisit the rest of the show if you like where it goes.

Jex

Game is almost done being competently translated so they'd probably be better off served with that version of it. Having played it the VN >>>>>> Anime biiiig time.

I am certainly interested in checking out the game. I have to imagine that with a better presentation I would enjoy the material more.

Ultimadrago

I still don't think you should have just jumped into the show by skipping to episode 7 but whatever. I suppose you can always go back and revisit the rest of the show if you like where it goes.

I'd like to clarify that I watched three whole episodes before 7.

7Th

Including Tiger & Bunny's staff itself!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

So, basically, go back and watch Chaos;Head. Gotcha!

When did this place become a theology thread?

You're lucky that it doesn't happen every time someone mentions Evangelion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom