• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
You mean, you're determined to ignore it.
Every single past event in Jexhius life has determined him to ignore the implications of determinism; even though he knows deep in his heart that it's true.
Well, that's built on the assumption that we have free will.
It's always better to assume we have free will then we don't.
First animu I got to watch in 2+ months was Windy Tales (ep. 1), and while it immediately won me over with -flying cats- (omg), I was impressed overall by the craftsmanship of it - the sketchy, flexible watercolor aesthetic works perfectly for the quiet, mysterious atmosphere (a slice of life show with mood and tone! Whoda thunk it?) and never goes overboard with distorted character art, crazy color schemes, &c in the way that style tends to be abused. (See Yuasa, M.) Can't really judge the writing yet (
actually, I don't remember WHAT happened - what sleep deprivation will do to you!
), but the direction is so far so good and it seems compelling.
Windy tales <3 <3 <3 it's probably the most perfect slice-of-life series imo, and it's very good at being a ghibli series even though it's not by ghibli.
So like, what the hell happened with Fujiko Mine? I wanted to watch it, but now I'm not so sure with the way y'all talk about it like it's the plague.
You could always watch the first two episodes and episode 6 if you are that curious to watch it, because those were some of the best episodes of last season imo, shame the rest of the series was so eh.

Welcome to the NHK 13 - end
tumblr_m6a2ybHpkP1qg8y8yo2_500.png

Overall NHK just never took off for me. It had the pieces in place to be compelling but then quickly failed to ever capitalize and stimulate successes off of these deep investments made into the diversification of its portfolio. The anime remained too depressing at times with comedy that made me chuckle but then the next moment quickly made me regret that as characters consistently had to remind themselves that they are essentially losers in this world. When I look to anime I like to see and experience the green pastures of life, calm happy moments, that embrace and immortalize the ideas of friendship, fun, and just a good time. Many times this made me feel really uncomfortable and awkward and angry.

3 / 10. The only good things were awesome Sato and Yamazaki moments
Actually did cry a bit when he and Sato had to part ways and we had that montage of all the times they had together. They really knew how to get to me, I can never take friends parting that well :(, miss them both
, the Ultimate Fantasy episodes
the battles were great and then the reveal of Yamazaki as his party was like one of the best moments
, and the OP. Criticisms were just the annoying and needy Misaki who always ruined so many scenes, actually ruined the entire anime to me, and well most of the plot that was based around her, and just the tone of the anime.

Me whenever Misaki appeared.
tumblr_m5vu44lgO41r94e9jo1_500.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm surprise that it doesn't happen every time.

Fortunately, we, generally being a reasonable group of people, are aware of just how vapid and meaningless the religious "symbolism" in Evangelion is so the debate never happens!

Sadly, in other corners of the internet, I imagine that there are still people working themselves into a tizzy over the cross-shaped explosions and the apocryphal references while, somewhere in Japan, Anno suddenly erupts in laughter without knowing the reason why.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Philoanimegaf up in this.

My stance: The universe is deterministic, but that does not absolve people from responsibility for their actions. It's just the responsibility is predetermined as well.
The illusion that we have responsibility is as real as the pleasure we feel when we have sex. (even if both are technically illusions).
I don't particularly like the arguments for Determinism, they're just generally more impressive than the arguments for Metaphysical Libertarianism. (Of course I shouldn't pretend that there are only two positions).
A compatibilist view along the lines of daniel dennett has always made the most sense to me within the context of my own personal experience and scientific views, by comparison hard determinism and metaphysical libertarianism make me go "wut" although the former is very fun to think about it!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I suppose that I should clarify and say that I technically don't consider Mari to be a legitimate Evangelion character because she originates from a certain nameless adaptation of the series that I now and forever regard as 100% non-canonical, but if I were to momentarily entertain the opposing viewpoint, she would rank a very, very distant last among the other females.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Asuka >> All.

Hey remember the time when we all had Asuka avatars? good times

Ryuukan

I suppose that I should clarify and say that I technically don't consider Mari to be a legitimate Evangelion character because she originates from a certain nameless adaptation of the series that I now and forever regard as 100% non-canonical, but if I were to momentarily entertain the opposing viewpoint, she would rank a very, very distant last among the other females.

By "nameless adaption", you mean some of the most successful Japanese films ever made?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Now that I'm done with Fujiko, back to good anime!

Acchi Kocchi 11

Aww, they skipped the Christmas party? So much wasted potential there.

Perfect. Bwahahaha.

Dat final scene. Oh boy.

Instro

Something about this made me laugh. I mean, it's such a niche topic that if you're already a Karuta/poets nerd you've probably already Uta Koi out because what other anime will ever be about this.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of Chihayafuru fans who might be interested. It's not quite at Hyouge Mono niche levels yet lol.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
By "nameless adaption", you mean some of the most successful Japanese films ever made?

Argumentum ad populum! If my favorite video game was rebooted as a brown-gray visceral cinematic FPS with a three-hour campaign and it sold more than every Call of Duty game combined, I'd still be just as justified in questioning its legitimacy if I believed that the changes harmed a significant aspect of the franchise.

speaking of Hyouge Mono... I think the translations are on indefinite hiatus. or something.

It'll never be subbed.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP DE GOZARU

Ryuukan

Argumentum ad populum! If my favorite video game was rebooted as a brown-gray visceral cinematic FPS with a three-hour campaign and it sold more than every Call of Duty game combined, I'd still be just as justified in questioning its legitimacy if I believed that the changes harmed a significant aspect of the franchise

Dear LegatoB:
See above.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Acchi Kocchi 12 -END-

Nice finale. They even managed to fit a vale tudo reference in there.

I'll miss this show. The characters were all funny, and the kawaii-ness was basically overkill.
It sucks that Tsumiki and Io didn't actually get together in the end, though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom