• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to watch and write my thoughts of the second (final) volume today, but we'll see how that goes.

Does the manga branch off more into character interactions or any additional stuff? I know I only briefly covered episodes 2, 3, and 4, but it felt like the focus was pretty strongly placed on telling the central plot.

It's both, but it's also over 400 chapters, and as you would expect, the anime covers VERY little of that.

I don't remember a ton of the early chapters, but I think the focus was mostly on setting up the overarching plot, with heavy character interactions happening during downtime in between arcs and stuff. After the main objective is set in place, it kind of gets integrated into the main plot.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hey, I'm not the one implying that low-budget animation = bad! If you're flipping tables, you're the one subconsciously making that association and maybe you need to reevaluate what you truly think about M+H deep in your heart!

Hmph!

Don't read this, SDBurton! It's better not knowing in advance.

I did already haha. Will I be fine just watching that episode or should I watch all of it?

I power up during boring training arcs while watching boring slice-of-life shows.

You are a great Yamucha!

yamchavsheroumf4f.png

I always finish what I start.

I'm a freaking shounen character.
Careful, DTL might swoop you up.
I just don't want to be in one of his avatars.
Good thing he doesn't draw them.
But FLCL wouldn't have been possible without digital.
True.
Well, FLCL wasn't just Gainax, remember! Even before FLCL, Production IG was pushing technology in anime. Most people aren't aware of this, but the entirety of Ghost in the Shell is digital. All of the animation and backgrounds were done on paper, scanned, and then composited digitally -- much like today's workflow. I guess the reason most people don't know it's digital is because it was printed to film for storage and has all the look of film with the gate weave and grain -- perhaps large scale digital storage wasn't viable back then. Ghost in the Shell also does a lot of camerawork and such that wouldn't be possible without digital, like that reverse zoom with the city in the background at the beginning with Motoko was apparently not possible with traditional cel camerawork. That's a pretty clever and important shot too, but it wouldn't have happened without digital!

Jin-Roh and Blood TLV were also produced this way -- not sure of any others though. Blood even has a thing on the Blu-ray where you can choose to watch the direct digital transfer or a telecine transfer from the printed film master.
I'm so ignorant, I didn't even know that Disney's productions starting in the 90's were all digital. Ghost in the Shell definitely looks better than Disney's output at the time.

JCG

In reality, Rahxephon is okay but it's no Evangelion.

Well, they're actually trying to tell two very different types of stories, despite all the ridiculously obvious parallels and similarities. Rahxephon doesn't focus as much on untreated psychological trauma, which makes Evangelion more draining to watch regardless of its superior direction and execution.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lupin the Third - Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna 10

Yeah, like they need hallucinogen-infused plotlines to not make any sense.

Lupin the Third - Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna 11

Well, the initial scene with Oscar's backstory was good, so that's something.

So Oscar pretended to be Fujiko... So he could be arrested and subsequently nailed by Zenigata like she did. I would be perplexed by the question "Who comes up with this stuff?" if I didn't already know the answer. The owls then got involved in his efforts for reasons that I doubt will be explained. Meanwhile, Fujiko's a complete mess. What hurts the most is that there was no mindfuck - she just fell from grace on her own. Truly depressing.

The only reason I watched this show was because someone linked the ED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMAKuJIkmc

Then I decided to watch the show

The animation is high quality, with medium fluidity, an understandable compromise to avoid nice looking characters in a powerpoint slideshow. Don't remember any major QUALITY scenes. The ep intro's are kinda bizarre, sometimes there's too many screen jumps in a short period of time.

The story is about a girl studying for college exams, going to cram school, not having any goals in life, only going with her pushy mothers wishes since she has none of her own. She's scouted by students at a fashion high school who need a model for their dress making competition, and eventually she decides to do it while falling for the project lead on the design team, George.

On the team roster we have:
arashi_nagase.jpg
Arashi, a punk rocker/designer in a relationship with-
Sakurada-Miwako.jpg
Miwako, a short cutie who's older sister has her own design company,
Paradise.Kiss.434380.jpg
Isabella, the elegant motherly figure of the team,
f14c60f9b7c7d0_full.jpg
Jouji (George), the classy Fucker who always has a change of clothes in the car from bitches gushing all over him every day (that stuff doesn't come out easy),
yukari.jpg
Yukari (Caroline(Carrie)) Aimlessy wandering through life until she meets George and decides to model for-
Paradise Kiss (ParaKiss), the name of the brand they start for the project.

*****I'll be going a bit into the plot here, no SPOILERS like x dies, y is actually z, etc... , but I will speak on some things that occur past the first couple of episodes, such as characters thoughts on others, some minor events that happen in the middle of the series, etc.... I'll spoiler tag it anyway just in case.*****

Now George is a good character. He cares for Yukari, but doesn't want her to continue to be someone who always blames external circumstances and others for her problems, like his mother. At one point the two are apart from each other for a week and Yukari says "Why didn't you call? I waited all week for you to call me..."
And George replies "The same can be said for you. If you wanted to talk you can always call me, this was the first time I've ever left my phone on for an entire week straight."
When she runs away from home due to an argument with her mom and everyone is brainstorming what to do he doesn't tell her to move out or to go back and patch things up, he says she needs to make a decision.

Yukari starts out over her head. She's finally found something in life she enjoys, but since she's never learned the skills of balancing different aspects of life before, as she's always just done school and studying, she doesn't know what to do with herself now that there are two different things pulling her different ways. She doesn't handle it well in the beginning, just up and abandoning school right when she's going to graduate soon since she's used to only doing one thing.
She also learns to become more initiative and stop waiting for things to happen, and actually starts making big decisions on her own, and a huge one at the end.

The show also goes into ArashixMiwako relationship and their various problems.

I like how they handled the ending, it's not predictable at all, and it's handled realistically.
Overall I'd rate it
WELL DO YA, DO YA, DO YA WANNA/10

Well, they're actually trying to tell two very different types of stories, despite all the ridiculously obvious parallels and similarities. Rahxephon doesn't focus as much on untreated psychological trauma, which makes Evangelion more draining to watch regardless of its superior direction and execution.
True, at it's core RahXephon is a love story.
Sadly, it's not so much a choice-thing as a "I literally don't have the time" thing. Such is life.
You certainly have plenty of time to post here, though.

Jex

You certainly have plenty of time to post here, though.

Ah, but you see while I am "posting here" I can also do about five other things at the same time. When I sit down to watch something (or play something) I like to focus solely on that activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom