• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Nichibros SP3

The first thing that most viewers will notice is the show's unusual opening theme. Called “New Wuthering Heights,” it is less a song and more an elderly woman (voiced by Ichiko Hashimoto) speaking over classical music while Fujiko frolics naked in a variety of abstract places, pausing to make out with herself and fondle her mirror image's breasts. While it is bizarre, and may be a turn off to viewers not fond of or uncomfortable with overt and fetished sexuality, rest assured that in the very last episode, it will suddenly make sense The same could be said of most of the series, and it deserves credit for having a clear goal and carrying it through. Simply put, this is a series that has been very well planned, right down to the last scene, which brings us to the start of the Geneon series.

This excerpt made me watch the OP again, and it reveals that the general idea here is true (you can read the whole thing differently based on the "revelations" in the ending, and given the imagery, I doubt it's an accident) which makes me want to hate the entire production, not just the last half.

The first half of Lupin (or at least, my idealized image of the first half of Lupin) reminded me of Cowboy Bebop if it starred Faye. They're not the same character, but the episodic storytelling with a familiar, semi-rotating cast and only tiny snatches of glimpsed backstory made me believe I'd be getting a show that was willing to reveal its characters by demonstrating through their actions, instead of by dramatic exposition and dictation. Even when Bebop is at its most expository (say, Faye's huge flashback showing her life after waking up from cryo), the characters are active, and the world always remains in motion. I feel like, to varying degrees, that was the case through episode 7 in Fujiko.

Then, not only does the show start throwing more and more of its subtlety away until it intentionally lays every aspect of the past completely bare, not only does it turn its protagonist into a useless, pathetic, unrelatable victim, it burns every bit of its plot's significance on a stupid narrative trick, by
transferring all the backstory they've been laboriously dumping on us to some character we've never met and have no reason to care for, thanks to SCIENCE! shenanigans.
So what was the point?

At first, the OP teases answers to Fujiko's story, the reason she became a thief, and the forces in her past that drove her to be who she was. In the end,
the OP isn't about stealing at all, but about that stupid girl in a bed watching Fujiko ("Who is the slave? Who is the master? Is God watching her? Has God abandoned her?". So she's envious of Fujiko having her own life and doing whatever she wants. No fucking way! And now we still know nothing about the character the show was supposedly about!
In the end, it just feels like my time was stolen.

And I used to like this show a lot. What a piece of shit.

Yuru Yuri S2 1 - It's back, and it's as great, or greater, than ever! Yes, this seasons tarts out great. I do question the wisdom of putting a hotsprings (half-)episode right at the start -- really, was it necessary? -- but otherwise, this is a very good, yuri-filled Yuru Yuri episode.

The hotsprings part is only the second half of the episode, though. The first half's great stuff, and is very funny, particularly for anyone who knows the series. People who don't would be confused, but if you do... :lol

And yes, I guessed that something was off from fairly early on, and figured out what it had to be long before the reveal. It was fairly obvious. However, even if it was obvious, it was still pretty funny
and sad, for Akarin. Everybody's in love with Akari, and cares about her the most of anyone? Poor invisible Akari, That's obviously a dream world. (And yes, that bit where they're all impressed at how she can turn invisible was great. :) ) ... And yes, it did indeed turn out to be a dream. Still, it's a great sequence.

The second half of the episode turns to that hotsprings part I referenced earlier. It's got some steam-censorship, of course, and some yuri, and some more normal "forgotten Akarin" stuff, and a short Mirukurun movie (
Um, skull-splitting moves, though? What is this, a magical girl show, or a parody? :p Oh, right, it's both.
), all four of the main characters being themselves and thus being great and quite amusing, and more. This episode had better production values than most of the first season did, too. Let's hope that continues. YuruYuri S2 should be quite good, it's very nice to see it return. :)

Campione! 1 - This show is very, very mediocre. This is one of those that I may or may not drop, and I really don't care either way... very bland stuff. You've got your generic Japanese guy lead, you've got your generic setting (European here, but of course everyone who matters speaks perfect Japanese... naturally!), you've got your first haremite, a generic warrior girl who's probably somewhat tsundere (and needs to be rescued repeatedly despite being a "good fighter"), a fairly average plot about a guy who's gotten the powers to kill gods thanks to a magical tablet his grandfather gave him, etc. Yeah, it's pretty much all cut and paste stuff. And sure, it's not completely terrible -- I won't drop it yet -- but it's very average.

I don't think I really need to get into the plot -- the summary above basically explains it -- but there are a few details that help explain things. First, the MC comments on how his grandfather didn't only have magical tablets, but also apparently was popular with women. Of course he isn't, but will be starting now. I'm sure this girl is just the first of several. Also, the villain this time underrates the MC's changes because he's just a human with some god-magic helping him, not a real god, and he's entirely untrained in how to use it too, but that guy forgot that he's got MC powers. You had no chance, poor god...

Anyway, I have one major complaint about this episode, beyond the general blandness. I really dislike how the girl has to be rescued multiple times in just this one first episode. And the explanation isn't that he has these awesome powers from the tablet, either; he's not actually using those powers either tme that he saves her. He's just saving her because he's male and the main character, while she's female and a haremite. Who cares if she's a highly trained, skilled mage-knight, while he's a nobody with no training, his gender and MC status rank higher. Ugh, I hate this stuff so much. Sure, the explanation that even a human as strong as her would struggle against a god without something like that tablet makes sense for that part, but that doesn't excuse the rest of it, that's for sure.

Kokoro Connect PV - This was great. I've read a little bit of the manga and it was good, amusing stuff, so I was hoping that this would be good too... and it is! I'm very much looking forward to the full first episode, I want to see the second half!

... And yes, that I like magical genderswap/bodyswap stuff definitely is one reason why I like it, but it's good even beyond that, I think. I'll have more to say about this once the full episode is out, but first impressions are very good! The characters are amusing, and it's sure to be great fun.

Bodacious Space Pirates 23 - Oh, good,
the Big Catch's crew are alive. I didn't think so after ep. 22, and that'd have been bad... this has been such a good, optimistic series, I didn't like the idea of a dark turn like that.
That was why I'd stopped watching for a few weeks. So with that, I think I'll finish the season soon. Space Pirates certainly is still the year's best anime series so far. I will say, though, I disagree with the people saying that they think the anime-original stuff is the best part; I don't agree, I think it's not quite as good as the prior parts. But of course, I liked most of the first arc quite a bit (disliked the first episode, liked the rest of the first arc), while most people here didn't.

Kuromajo-san Tooru! 11-12 (Here Comes the Black Witch!) - It's almost too bad taht the episodes are only seven minutes long, because this is one of the surprises of the season for sure. Here Comes the Black Witch is a cute, silly, and entertaining magical girl show, basically. I'd definitely recommend it. As for these episodes, in ep. 11 a long-expected event happened. I wasn't surprised at the general reveal, but... was a little surprised, at the exact details. Ep. 12 goes in a random other direction, as Choco has to become Cinderella. Great fun stuff (except for Choco, of course). The Chocoderella story will continue into ep. 13... nice, a multi-part story!

Ill bite
characters look deformed
nichijou-ep-6-1.jpg
FUCK THE WHAT I AM READING

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ill bite
characters look deformed

image.php

On a completely unrelated note, I have no idea why Jojo is popular.

Haly says I should watch the ova so.... I guess I know what I'm watching next.

Thanks, looks interesting.

Evangelion gave me a hankering for mech stuff for some reason even though its not something I was ever that into beyond Wing and Macross Zero.

Don't fall for Branduil's trolling! Brain Powerd is no good (except the Kanno soundtrack).

I haven't seen it myself, but everyone says Turn A Gundam is the best Gundam show, so you could try that.

I think it's still way too early for that, unfortunately.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Yeah, you're probably right. And I'm the kind of guy that likes full adaptations, something a monthly series would never get unless it's already finished or in the final stages, so Akame is definitely too early.

If it was going to be 1-2 cour though, they could get away with it like they did with Blue Exorcist.

duckroll

... in 3D...

... I can't be the only one slightly concerned by the few seconds of animation in that teaser, right?

And that Jonathan looks like a CG model...

I don't know, the art/animation look very odd to me... Like CG animation with a low frame rate.
Not sure how to put it... It feels unnaturally "blocky".

Yeah I think it looks like CG too, but honestly, who cares? If it animates well and it looks faithful to the manga, BRING IT ON! CG is the future of animation anyway.

Yeah I think it looks like CG too, but honestly, who cares? If it animates well and it looks faithful to the manga, BRING IT ON! CG is the future of animation anyway.

If it does turn out to be full CG, I think the chances of it animating well, especially as a TV anime, are close to nil.

Branduil

Need better than a low-quality off-screen youtube capture to judge it properly, but it doesn't look like CGI to me. The linework and shading almost always gives it away.

duckroll

You're never going to drop that, are you? -_-

Drop what? CG animation is very much the future of all modern animation industries. It's a fact. That doesn't mean it is naturally better or worst than traditional hand drawn animation, but it is what industries are moving towards instead. It is easier to hire talented graduates in digital arts compared to traditional animators. Since the pay grade is higher as well, it also makes it a more attractive prospects for students.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-the-anime-that-you-should-see-before-you-die

For the lulz poll, apparently.

1. Clannad

2. Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

3. Madoka Magica

4. Gintama

5. K-on!

6. Angel Beats!

7. Bakemonogatari

8. Natsume Yuujinchou

9. (tie) Neon Genesis Evangelion

9. (tie) Toradora!

11. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

12. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

13. Nichijou - My Ordinary Life

14. Fate/zero

15. Steins;gate

16. A Certain Scientific Railgun

17. Detective Conan

18. Higurashi When They Cry

19. (tie) Ginga e Kickoff!! (a recent soccer anime)

19. (tie) Mobile Suit Gundam SEED

21. Hanasaku Iroha

22. Eureka 7

23. Squid Girl

24. Gurren Lagann

25. (tie) Atchi Kotchi (a recent 4 panel gag manga adaptation)

25. (tie) Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny

27. Nadia Secret of Blue Water

28. Zoids Genesis

29. (tie) Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (first season)

29. (tie) Guilty Crown

31. (tie) Jewel Pet Twinkle

31. (tie) Kannagi

33. Ben-to

34. Blood-C

35. Bleach

36. Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere

37. Kill Me Baby

38. (tie) Kanon (the newer one)

38. (tie) Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (Rumble Hearts)

40. (tie) Darker Than Black

40. (tie) Galaxy Express 999 (the movie)

42. (tie) Baby and Me

42. (tie) Akazukin Chacha

44. From Up on Poppy Hill

45. The Familiar of Zero

46. Umineko: When They Cry

47. Ōkami Kakushi (a Ryukishi07 game adaptation)

48. (tie) Fractale

48. (tie) Betrayal Knows My Name

50. Togainu no Chi

fertygo

Hell yeah JoJo anime!

And the game looks dope too, at least we can get good JoJo game if the anime is full CG or something.

Branduil

I think something was lost in translation, because that list looks more like "anime to watch if you wish to induce death." At least for the KEY/wannabe-KEY titles.

Drop what? CG animation is very much the future of all modern animation industries. It's a fact. That doesn't mean it is naturally better or worst than traditional hand drawn animation, but it is what industries are moving towards instead. It is easier to hire talented graduates in digital arts compared to traditional animators. Since the pay grade is higher as well, it also makes it a more attractive prospects for students.
In Japan?

duckroll

In Japan?

Yes, the pay grade for CG animators are definitely higher than traditional animators. Don't kid yourself. Armed with digital arts skill sets you can also find employment across various industries, ranging from the video games, anime, advertising, or even find work overseas if you're talented enough. These options are non-existent for people who are only trained at traditional animation. This is another reason why anime directors are increasingly interested in getting more experience in working with CG, because they know that if they don't they'll be left behind eventually.

You know we can see it in motion, right?

Speak for yourself. That thing refuses to load for me. :(

Pretty much all of those are from the last ten years or so. Huh.
Yes, the pay grade for CG animators are definitely higher than traditional animators. Don't kid yourself. Armed with digital arts skill sets you can also find employment across various industries, ranging from the video games, anime, advertising, or even find work overseas if you're talented enough. These options are non-existent for people who are only trained at traditional animation. This is another reason why anime directors are increasingly interested in getting more experience in working with CG, because they know that if they don't they'll be left behind eventually.
Well, I meant in regards to the anime industry specifically. Won't the industry collapse if animators have to be paid more?

Branduil

The ranking is weird, but people should watch most of those.

34. Blood-C

35. Bleach

36. Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere

37. Kill Me Baby

38. (tie) Kanon (the newer one)

38. (tie) Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (Rumble Hearts)

40. (tie) Darker Than Black

40. (tie) Galaxy Express 999 (the movie)

42. (tie) Baby and Me

42. (tie) Akazukin Chacha

44. From Up on Poppy Hill

45. The Familiar of Zero

46. Umineko: When They Cry

47. Ōkami Kakushi (a Ryukishi07 game adaptation)

48. (tie) Fractale

48. (tie) Betrayal Knows My Name

50. Togainu no Chi

The list is terrible. Heavily weighted towards recent anime, and the end of the list is full of joke choices. Who the heck voted for the abominable Umineko anime?

Need better than a low-quality off-screen youtube capture to judge it properly, but it doesn't look like CGI to me. The linework and shading almost always gives it away.

It honestly doesn't look like CG to me either, even if the animation is rather choppy. At any rate, the few seconds of animation in the trailer doesn't appear to be drawn from the actual show, so we'll see.

Don't give shitty Internet polls they attention they don't deserve. It always annoys me that anime "news" sites give Biglobe/et al stories - what would we think if gaming news sites gave every GameFAQs poll a story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom