• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Gunslinger Girl ] - 9

What an amazing episode. Why is this show so good?

I should really do a longer break down of the shot construction and character dynamics at some later point. This show keeps getting better and better!

Old and busted Eva: completely submissive moeblob girl who constantly needs to be protected and saved.
Neo Eva: strong-willed action girl who does what she wants and is proud of her body.

In other words, people who don't like Rebuild are sexist pigs who long for the golden days of yore. How disgusting.Oh, I'm aware. That was lazy quoting on my part -- I should have quoted Mad Pierrot.
KO Traveling Hobo, delivering the cold, hard truth. :(

The Sacred Blacksmith 8

A very nice conclusion to the arc. The best part is is that Luke didn't even have to bail out Cecily at all. She basically gets in a rematch with the girls with their demon swords again and easily beats them all after learning how to deal with their quirks. It's kinda sad to see them go. I hope they come back later in the show at some point...
Yeah, seeing her actually fight like that and win was one of the best things in the series up to this point.

I agree, Nichijou regularly had be laughing at least once each episode, and that counts for a lot in my book. Especially because it wasn't reliant on say, otaku in-jokes, to be funny. ^_^
Yeah, that it's not all otaku humor really is the best thing about it. I mean, I like some otaku-humor shows -- I loved Lucky Star, for instance -- but that this actually isn't all pandering stuff definitely makes it even better.

Unfortunately, that's probably the same reason that it didn't sell too well... but hey, at least they made it, and made it great.

I love my Nichijou brethren.

Also on Sakamoto
yeah, Nano and Professor is his best bet. Nakamura is a being that needs..."space" from other living beings. She's definitely not suitable to be a pet owner! She's far too determined on self-fulfilling goals to properly maintain an animal...than again Hakase might be too (but she has Nano!)
Hah... yeah.
I agree, Nakamura's just not good around other living creatures... or unliving ones for that matter. Poor cat... poor Nakamura... poor Nano, if she knew what Nakamura wants to do to her... :lol

Interestingly, she appears in episode 3 briefly which is well before she is introduced. This would be of course her returning home to find Sakamoto gone. This is also the spot Sakamoto was before he was taken in so she just missed him.
Woah, that's impressive. Nichijou has plot progression after all, who'd have thought it? :)

*adds Saki to list*
Wait, one of GAF's top yuri-fans hasn't watched Saki? Really? Get on it, now! You'll like it.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find any of those reasons in any of the posts anyone has made about it.
Envelope, always living up to his tag.

Envelope
Return to sender
(Today, 05:32 AM)
Can't say it better.

thanks for all the smut abf *thumbsup*
Hey, it was about a third, a third, and a third, between shots from ep. 11, fanservice stuff, and nice art...

Ahhh, they're doing Bakemonogatari then? That makes more sense. :p
Are they going to be delayed for months though? lol
I don't know, but I sure hope not.

He needs to see episode 9 and by then he might as well watch the last episode.
I don't know, it might be better quitting with ep. 9 of Upotte and leaving with the false impression that it might have a well-done ending, instead of watching it and being disappointed.

But if she had a personality that would mean she might have opinions and desires that are different than mine.
But by not having a personality and by being so servile, she has opinions and desires that are different than mine.

Branduil

[Gunslinger Girl ] - 9

I should really do a longer break down of the shot construction and character dynamics at some later point. This show keeps getting better and better!

That'd be neat. That arc is pretty good.

NEW JOJO ANIME! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Seitokai Yakuindomo 13
a1YK7.jpg
Yeah, I'm not watching that.
Normally I would complain that the show was basically killing time, with the credits 9 minutes into the episode and shamelessly using flashbacks. But, the flashbacks were funny since they weren't true and then they broke the 4th wall so laughs all around.

No one said Nichijou isn't cute, just that it isn't funny.
Nichijou is definitely funnier than it is cute, though. No question.

[Gunslinger Girl ] - 9

Yeah, and the first season's amazing quality gets all the more impressive if you ever look at the source material (or don't)... it's certainly an outstanding show, fantastic beginning to end.

tumblr_m6jw3q3xWI1qzqnxxo1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_m6jw3q3xWI1qzqnxxo2_r1_500.jpg

It's true, shorten that gap and then I will marry you.
What was this from, again?

I would enjoy a revival of long normal skirts. It's pretty ridiculous sometimes ...
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with normal-length skirts, I agree. Yuuko would not look better with a miniskirt.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 6

I see

I thought that when I come across this well known scene from the anime, the context would somehow make it sound reasonable, but nope, it's still crazy.
You thought it would be reasonable? Was this before you watched the series? :)

I wouldn't mind a second season. It's not the funniest comedy anime I have watched, but it's very entertaining.
The anime is quite thorough, but the OVAs skip around a bit more, and the series goes on well past the most recent OVA, too. There's definitely more than enough material for a second season, and I hope it gets one eventually. SYD definitely has repeating-jokes syndrome pretty bad, but fortunately its jokes that it repeats are funny, so it works well enough.

In respect to the hedgehog's dilemma, I interpreted it as the two hedgehogs saying, "Screw it." And finally getting closer for warmth even if it meant poking each other with their quills (i.e. Shinji choking Asuka and Asuka lamenting the situation). Shinji has accepted his needs for other people as well as the fact that life is not without pain and he establishes it by clutching Asuka's neck only to release it as soon as she touches his face. There's a desire both of them have for each other no matter how much friction there is between them.

I like to think of the phrase, "Women, you can't live with them and you can't live without them." Though replace "women," with "people," and that's what I think Shinji has essentially accepted by rejecting Instrumentality. That's one of the general messages of the ending, to me at least.
Hedgehog's dilemma? I don't remember what that is, was that something in the movie?

After he refused Instrumentality, Shinji wanted to make sure that he was back in a world where "others" existed. So his first impulse was to strangle Asuka, who, representing all the "others", rejected him - something that wouldn't be possible in the sea of LCL.
Oh, okay, this one's a bit easier to understand.

In answer to both of these, though, my biggest problem with it is that
that it seemed really out of character for him to do something violently cruel to an ally like that. I know he'd fought enemies, and killed that one guy he liked when the guy forced him to, but nothing like that to a friend without cause... it was something that hurts his character, and for no good reason, and right at the end of the series, too. What were they thinking...

I am certain there would be far better ways to represent what you say here (his frustration but embracing of the world, if that's really what that's supposed to be) than that is.

Yeah, I think I'll just keep watching what I like.
I always finished somewhere in the middle of the "monocle vs. mustache" lists, but yeah, that's a much better attitude than the one in the quote.

yuri yuri two - 01

I have dim memories of watching the first episode back in season one, and being quite unimpressed. Enjoyed this one more. Also feeling an urge to end myself.
  • These must be one of the worst school uniforms ever. The frocks look like something they give to pregnant women with the hems chopped short.
  • I would've watched the OP if the song wasn't so annoying. Ditto for ED. Saw Toshino Kyouko's dance via gifs so I didn't lose out on much, most likely.
  • The first half--Akarin's delusion--was pretty amusing. Some nice visual gags, which holds true for the whole episode, actually. It's pretty good stuff.
  • I enjoyed the second half more. It reminds me somewhat of Working if that show had no shame and Poplar and Yamada got naked all the time and there was steam everywhere. The show-within-a-show was fun; I think I enjoyed it a little too much thanks to Midorikawa and Aoi Yuuki. The dissonance of the former's sexy voice coming out of whatever the fuck that thing was, well, amusing, I guess.
  • I have no idea if I want to watch anymore of this, but I did enjoy this episode. Time to go lash myself a few times as penance.
And hey, here's one of the people on that list proving the truth of what I just said, in the very next post! How convenient.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 13

Yeah, I'm not watching that.
Normally I would complain that the show was basically killing time, with the credits 9 minutes into the episode and shamelessly using flashbacks. But, the flashbacks were funny since they weren't true and then they broke the 4th wall so laughs all around.
Yeah, that's got to be one of the best uses of "flashbacks" I've seen. That and the first episode of Miami Guns... :lol

That was like the worst part, she goes from zero to hero overnight just to fit the damn narrative.
It makes a lot more sense in the manga (and probably also LN) where she doesn't start out anywhere near as useless as she is in the anime. But even in the anime, she had done a pretty good amount of training to get up to that point, it's not like it just happened with no effort.

Tsuritama bombing and shows like Natsui iro Kiseki and Sengoku collection selling is a fucking travesty.
It's good to see Saki and AKB near the top, and Natsuiro Kiseki's a decent show, it really is. It's not great, but it's decent.

What's wrong with Natsui iro Kiseki? Genuine question since I haven't bothered to watch it and it's done by Sunrise, so you'd expect fireworks. Or train wrecks. Or both.
Nothing's wrong with it, really. Though if it was a flaming trainwreck with fireworks, it probably wouldn't get that kind of comments... but it's not that kind of show, and it is better for it.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't do anything special either. It's a neat slice of life show about friendship with a couple of bad episodes and some enjoyable ones.
Yeah.

So it's like Iroha? I'm not sure what the injustice is.
Personal opinions, of course.

Disclaimer: This is all based on my experience watching episode 1. It was pretty bad so I never continued.

It's boring and uninteresting. There's nothing wrong with the premise or the setting, but the actual direction of the show falls flat and the performances (both the voice acting and the animation/storyboarding) of the characters simply don't engage in any way. Slice of life shows live and die by how interesting the characters are and how willing the audience is to relate with the characters and follow their daily lives. There's nothing here but an empty void filled with a sense of cheap hollow marketing for an idol unit trying to be popular in more than one industry.
The characters in Natsuiro Kiseki are as good as the characters in almost any anime series, so what you say at the end of that there is only as true here as it is for almost anything in the genre. Heck, they have more depth than plenty of anime characters, I think... so no, I think you're off base.

Its redeeming features are in the same vein as last year's Inu x Boku SS. The extra sales are probably from those other fans however.
Inu x Boku SS? What does that have to do with Natsuiro Kiseki? I can't think of too much they have in common...

most of those kind of anime would make me a criminal for watching in my country
of course im just guessing that its that kind
It's not quite as bad as that, really. Ep. 10 is a beach episode, but overall it's not nearly as creepy as you might expect.

If you had to spend any amount of time with Asuka you'd probably feel like choking her too.
I don't know, if you consider that the alternative is Rei, Asuka looks pretty good, I think...

speaking of Hyouge Mono... I think the translations are on indefinite hiatus. or something.

It'll never be translated.
Don't say that, it can't be true... :(

duckroll

NEW JOJO ANIME! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The teaser trailer they showed for the anime has Jonathan Joestar going "SUNLIGHT YELLOW OVERDRIVE!!" so it's going to be starting from the beginning it seems. PHANTOM BLOOD TV SERIES HERE WE COME!

Ladies VS Butlers! 5
XG6vQ.png

They're eating her, and then they're going to eat me!
Ah, finally we learn why Tomomi and Selnia have such a bitter rivalry. And the first half of this episode's animation seemed rather poor, but it looked like they saved their budget on the glorious second half. Since most of the scene is inappropriate according to google, you'll just have to take my word for it. Oh and I'm not at all surprised at the twist about Daichi. They could not make it anymore obvious.
vWRh9.png

For a school for proper ladies, most sure don't act very ladylike.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
STOP

HAMMER TIME
ibvw1FrsmFXXCF.gif

I waited months to post this so as to not be a spoilsport.

− Fujiko's breasts get too much air time for no apparent reason, opening theme takes too much time to make sense. Takes seven episodes to really see that there is an overall plan.
Is this a review by the guy in charge of the censorship torch? He sounds sour that he wasn't hired for the job.

No one said Nichijou isn't cute, just that it isn't funny.
It's funnier than their current effort.

Shut down in 3.... 2... 1....

What was this from, again?
YuruYuri♪♪ 1.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Jormungand

Loved it. I was wary at first because it gave me a major Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon vibe in the beginning (and for good reason), but it's execution seemed week (The show can be pretty cheesy at times). The show grew on me pretty quickly and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

It is very similar to Black Lagoon and in some ways similar to Cowboy Bebop, but the characters, Koko especially, give the show a life of its own. To anyone who may be turned off by the similarity to Black Lagoon I will say this: It is a lot more tame in comparison, and Jormungand isn't all about "Fuck lets shoot everyone because we can."

Also the soundtrack is pretty darn good.

Definitely looking forward to the second season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
... I can't be the only one slightly concerned by the few seconds of animation in that teaser, right?

Because it had worse animation than Double J? Wait... Double J... JoJo. Oh God, it's going to be a five minute flash based sketch show.

Branduil

... I can't be the only one slightly concerned by the few seconds of animation in that teaser, right?

Well it probably won't look nearly as good as the OVAs.

Of course it doesn't help that Araki's character designs must be hell to animate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only reason I watched this show was because someone linked the ED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMAKuJIkmc

Then I decided to watch the show
Because of Geneijin, I feel the need to watch the "prequel" to the show, even though it's not a real prequel.

You might want to watch the live action movie version of ParaKiss for kicks though. lol

It's all firehawk's fault! To be more accurate, it's the fault of The Knight in the Area.
I still wonder if it's a cultural thing or if Japanese people think it's equally batshit insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom