• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Yes, the pay grade for CG animators are definitely higher than traditional animators. Don't kid yourself. Armed with digital arts skill sets you can also find employment across various industries, ranging from the video games, anime, advertising, or even find work overseas if you're talented enough. These options are non-existent for people who are only trained at traditional animation. This is another reason why anime directors are increasingly interested in getting more experience in working with CG, because they know that if they don't they'll be left behind eventually.

Sometimes it's better to be left behind.

Of course there's nothing wrong with CGI in certain cases.

duckroll

It might or might not be CG, but it definitely has the "good CG" look in the aesthetic. The thick outlines, the extra depth, and overall shape of the body parts, and the lighting, all seem to indicate something that looks more like a high quality game cutscene, rather than hand drawn art.

xszkH.png

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The list is terrible. Heavily weighted towards recent anime, and the end of the list is full of joke choices. Who the heck voted for the abominable Umineko anime?

Yeah, you have a point. It's basically "people who started watching anime 5 years ago vote on their favorite animes ever."

Still...

2. Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

3. Madoka Magica

4. Gintama

5. K-on!

7. Bakemonogatari

8. Natsume Yuujinchou

9. (tie) Neon Genesis Evangelion

11. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

12. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

13. Nichijou - My Ordinary Life

14. Fate/zero

15. Steins;gate

17. Detective Conan

19. (tie) Ginga e Kickoff!! (a recent soccer anime)

19. (tie) Mobile Suit Gundam SEED

21. Hanasaku Iroha

22. Eureka 7

23. Squid Girl

24. Gurren Lagann

25. (tie) Atchi Kotchi (a recent 4 panel gag manga adaptation)

33. Ben-to

Branduil

Just looking at the hair, that definitely looks hand-drawn.

Also, the shading isn't mathematically accurate, which is another point towards it being hand-drawn.

fertygo

They should just give full adaptation of SBR at Nichigo n we all already can happy forever ;__;

I think its long airing anime to replace stuff like Bleach, and pushing another multi million for JoJo manga. Shueisha smell Phantom Blood money.

The list is terrible. Heavily weighted towards recent anime, and the end of the list is full of joke choices. Who the heck voted for the abominable Umineko anime?
Umineko wasn't that bad but the problem was the stuff right where it ended got good then quickly worse and worse till the point that now I don't even know why I cared.
OP & ED are absolutely awesome though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuru Yuri S2 1-
The second half of the episode turns to that hotsprings part I referenced earlier. It's got some steam-censorship,
Technically the steam isn't really censorship here. They've got soapsud covered bodies underneath so you don't see anything anywho.

Even a shitty "my first anime" poll consisting of new shows doesn't include Mitsudomoe.
ibfvVQUTNjtSWv.png

I'm not saying Mitsudomoe is an anime you have to watch before you die... or perhaps I am

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So you may or may not recall that, late last year, KyoAni greenlit an anime project based on one of the novels entered in their light novel contests that they never actually formally declared anyone winners for, only honorable mentions.

A bit of background about the term "chunibyo":And the actual novel plot:
Anyway, a new teaser site seems to have been just launched for that project: http://www.anime-chu-2.com/

Huh, a while ago I was wondering how someone would write a spec script in Japan for animu, and maybe the studios really do just accept scripts (or light novels) blindly and then just make shows based on good ideas.

Really, it's gotta be the cheapest way to get free ideas, especially if you just make all contest entrants give up any rights to their work after it is submitted. lol

My apologies, I left out the explaination of what "chunibyo" is. I'll copy this into the post as well:
The comedian Hikaru Ijūin coined the term "chūnibyō" (literally, "middle-school second-grade disease") for adolescent thoughts that teenagers commonly have — especially delusions of grandeur or the belief that one is special compared to everyone else.
Also, I thought that was only American kids. :p

sonicmj1

Reading that synopsis hurts my brain. Can I get one in real English?

"Chūnibyō" means "8th grader's disease" and refers to kids who try to act all cool and mature and grownup when they have no idea what that means. So they come across like emotionally stunted idiots. Severe cases (like this show, apparently) might pretend they have magical powers and shit. Kuroneko is a chunibyo. I've seen one definition refer to it as "pretentious hipster bullshit."

So basically, school romance with some wacky otaku-types thrown in. Definitely squarely in KyoAni's moneymaking wheelhouse.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"Chūnibyō" means "8th grader's disease" and refers to kids who try to act all cool and mature and grownup when they have no idea what that means. So they come across like emotionally stunted idiots. Severe cases (like this show, apparently) might pretend they have magical powers and shit. Kuroneko is a chunibyo. I've seen one definition refer to it as "pretentious hipster bullshit."

So basically, school romance with some wacky otaku-types thrown in. Definitely squarely in KyoAni's moneymaking wheelhouse.
Ah, that doesn't sound as American then. lol

Brazil

Ginga e Kickoff!! 9

Two out of the three Furuyas are pricks. Ouzou is awesome, though. But still, in the end, they
did massacre the lesser team, as expected.

I think it was a big mistake for them to tease Reika 2.0 during the OP and the ED. It seems like it'll take so long for the change to happen...

duckroll

Huh, a while ago I was wondering how someone would write a spec script in Japan for animu, and maybe the studios really do just accept scripts (or light novels) blindly and then just make shows based on good ideas.

Really, it's gotta be the cheapest way to get free ideas, especially if you just make all contest entrants give up any rights to their work after it is submitted. lol

They're not accepting scripts though. They were accepting novels.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ginga e Kickoff!! 9

Two out of the three Furuyas are pricks. Ouzou is awesome, though. But still, in the end, they
did massacre the lesser team, as expected.

I think it was a big mistake for them to tease Reika 2.0 during the OP and the ED. It seems like it'll take so long for the change to happen...
Well, there's another tease in the OP that they're not even close to resolving yet, so it seems like this show is going for the long game and they made one OP just because it's cheaper. lol

They're not accepting scripts though. They were accepting novels.
Yeah, I included that in parenthesis. I suppose if you're some writer desperate to get noticed and you have a script, it shouldn't be all that difficult to turn it into a light novel. Heck, some English scripts almost read like light novels anyway, depending on the writer.

sonicmj1

It's extremely pedestrian and typical. I guess they lost more money on Nichijou than we thought if they're pumping out crap like that now.

Given the title and stuff, I doubt she'll be treated sympathetically for running around with an umbrella and an eyepatch for no reason.

Brazil

Well, there's another tease in the OP that they're not even close to resolving yet, so it seems like this show is going for the long game and they made one OP just because it's cheaper. lol

I take it you're talking about
the blonde kid
, haha. Yeah, that seems to be the case.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"Chūnibyō" means "8th grader's disease" and refers to kids who try to act all cool and mature and grownup when they have no idea what that means. So they come across like emotionally stunted idiots.

New term for the XBox Live crowd then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom