• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Phi Brain S2 13

So I guess this really closes out the first half of the plot. Lots of characters from last season showing up next week; should be interesting to see how they're all involved on the good guys' side this time.

Also, the preview wasn't entirely clear but was that
Kaito and Nonoha in a team puzzle duel
? If so, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Amusing seiyuu fact: Rook is voiced by Takahiro Sakurai, and Herbert Müller is voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa. Cloud and Sephiroth!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv96926331

Ixion Saga stream started. Behold the next amazing anime series from Brains Base! Lol.

OT5Ck.jpg

I think I would watch that. Something about makes it look like it would be fun, and the main character.

Meet the intrepid heroes of the upcoming sweeping fantasy epic Ixion Saga and the new faces of Brains Base:

Protagonist is all right but evrryone else is,lacking, reminds me of my feelings on the cast of say Star Ocean 4 where only Edge Maverick was phenomenal and the rest were simply decent to too loli.

Dont know about the pet...hopefully its like thing from tota.

wonzo

Banned
Baoh: The Visitor

"Oooh. My... my creation, my Baoh. My great work of art, YOU ARE THE PERFECT ULTIMATE WEAPON!" - Dr. Kasuminome

This not only had some of the finest face melting and head exploding animation I've ever seen, but also has one of the most racially sensitive depictions of Native American Indians you'll ever see in anime. Never before have I seen such care taken to show the well known ancient tradition of carving a bloodmark of respect and honour in your chest to send a message of death to ones opponents.

Ultimadrago

Baoh: The Visitor

This not only had some of the finest face melting and head exploding animation I've ever seen, but also has one of the most racially sensitive depictions of Native American Indians you'll ever see in anime. Never before have I seen such care taken to show the well known ancient tradition of carving a bloodmark of respect and honour in your chest to send a message of death to ones opponents.

So you finally got around to the memorable face-melting, loli saving, decapitating hands of Baoh.

wTJCj.jpg

Walken, Native American Ranger

An entertaining choice!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I suppose Hyouka having two fanservice episodes is still small change compared to Endless Eight.

Reknoc

My God... it looks like we might really be getting a full adaptation. This is crazy!

Oh god, this just knocked Magi down to #2 most hyped anime for me. The "zero" in the teaser reminded me of ChuChu Rocket which is also a plus, if not entirely related.

If you guys want a barrel of laughs, ANN posted their review of Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. If you just want to see the scores and pros/cons and laugh at those, see below.

Comming up late with this but ...i cannot agree with the final thoughts :

This part :
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is a mature, slightly dark take on the franchise, and it succeeds in bringing new life to it while still remaining faithful to Monkey Punch's original
i've watched the first series and i'm watching the second ATM and fujiko mine is just different..it's just using the old cast with an uneven set of technical effects for each episode ...
As for the mature part i haven't seen it.

Olli

Banned
Sket Dance 65

I really liked this Episode. It was fun to watch how Agata's mind goes blank when he thinks about his sister. Oh and the new intro was nice too.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Comming up late with this but ...i cannot agree with the final thoughts :

This part :

i've watched the first series and i'm watching the second ATM and fujiko mine is just different..it's just using the old cast with an uneven set of technical effects for each episode ...
As for the mature part i haven't seen it.

This is the best part of that review:

Simply put, this is a series that has been very well planned, right down to the last scene

/XX/

She originates from a desire from the creators to have a character in the movie with large breasts and glasses voiced by a popular current voice actress. No, really.
I think you were referring in part to the following interview with Mr. Sadamoto, right? Where he also says it was his intent in part to create this new character with certain characteristics he explained:

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto said:
I thought it was fitting that the new films should include a new character. I really strove to design a character who was distinct from Asuka and Rei, though I do worry that there are some small but telling similarities that remain. My idea was to create a character so distinct from the other Evangelion characters as to almost feel out of place in the Evangelion world. I suppose I could’ve designed her as a sort of “halfway point” between Asuka and Rei, but Asuka and Rei are both such strong characters, in their own separate ways. I wanted to bring something completely different to the table with Mary.

For Mary, I’d been asked to design a character who “goes about with a parasol, like the sort of heroine you see in an anime”. As I initially designed her, she was very adult-like, having attended a strict private Christian school in Britain. However, in the original script, there was a scene where she returns home to a room full of birds and dogs and begins talking to them, to indicate that she was also rather idiosyncratic. Mr. Anno had also requested that she be more adult-like in appearance and manner than either Asuka or Rei, to set her apart. And that she have a huge chest (laughter).
http://www.gwern.net/otaku#p-17

I think the key here is "earliest stage of planning". After Mr. Anno presents the general directions, it is obvious that, on those production meetings Studio Khara's (or χαρα) Ikki Todoroki mentioned, ideas expressed in a basic manner fly and are laid out to latter be accepted and developed properly as time goes by. It is also true that some people of the studio (and other Japanese animation creators) in interviews come as a little self-deprecating and witty bunch.

I don't think we should take seriously how they themselves define those primary concepts or who presented them but how they incorporate those into the project, and that is another story.

Brains Base can't truly be dead until he leaves. (Or directs something like Sengoku Collection, which hopefully will never happen.)
But... but Keiji Gotō is the new soul of the studio! With him in there, all is good.

Jex

I think you were referring in part to the following interview with Mr. Sadamoto, right? Where he also says it was his intent in part to create this new character with certain characteristics he explained:

I don't think we should take seriously how they themselves define those primary concepts or who presented them but how they incorporate those into the project, and that is another story.

On one level I was jokingly referring to her actual designs, but on a more general level I was talking about her place in the film series and how she came about as a character.

Jex

My God... it looks like we might really be getting a full adaptation. This is crazy!
!
... in 3D...
And that Jonathan looks like a CG model...

Don't do this to me, anime. You're breaking my heart.
Well it probably won't look nearly as good as the OVAs.

Considering that the OVA's even had stuff animated by Mitsuo Iso I think not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkltq7K0IwA

/XX/

On one level I was jokingly referring to her actual designs, but on a more general level I was talking about her place in the film series and how she came about as a character.
I assumed as much with your simple definition of her!

For the other part, I only was saying that even as a shoe-in a (imposed) character can be beneficial if the staff permits themselves to 'play' with it. Except for those uncommon people that have the whole image of what they want to express in their heads, all works come from many external concepts or sudden ideas; sometimes strange, sometimes forced by the market or things like that, because we are talking about an industry based on capital after all. In my opinion, the important thing is making something engaging for the end product, not thinking on why it was made on the first place.

I don't see a problem with how that character came to be as long as they work on it afterwards.

Jex

Isn't every Gundam series "character focused"? The robots are just extensions of the characters themselves.

You're really forgetting all the incompressible and totally crazy politics that make up the 'plot' of any given Gundam series.
You should watch Brain Powerd, it's written and directed by the creator of Gundam.

Don't offer weak substitutes. He should clearly watch Garzey's Wing instead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I assumed as much with your simple definition of her!

For the other part, I only was saying that even as a shoe-in a (imposed) character can be beneficial if the staff permits themselves to 'play' with it. Except for those strange people that have the whole image of what they want to express in their heads, all works come from many external concepts or sudden ideas; sometimes strange, sometimes forced by the market or things like that, because we are talking about an industry based on capital after all. In my opinion, the important thing is making something engaging for the end product, not thinking on why it was made on the first place.

I don't see a problem with how that character came to be as long as they work on it afterwards.

Well, you see I started from the perspective of having a problem with her character and then I went back to see how she was created. This simply reinforced the ideas that I had already had about her from watching the movies. Of course, this is pretty dangerously close to confirmation-bias and only looking at selected evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom