• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

... said the Gintama fan
If the punchline of your joke is "this is a reference to something else" then I don't care for it,
regardless of the show in question.
and there were maybe 3 references in the first episode, so not really a "reference show"

How would I know that? I am reacting to someone else's comment about the episode, not speaking from first hand experience.

Jex

Yeah. I was talking about the possibilities in general that they had with the character, because it would have been a fairly reductionist stance to blame only the concept from which she was born, and not the overall execution of it. But I have to say that I'm with you on this example and didn't like for the most part what they did with that Mari on Evangelion: 2.0.
Or the movie as a whole.

Well... there I said it!

So, in fact, we actually agree on everything, but you just wanted to highlight the dangers of flawed methodology?

Negator

Look what came in the mail today, animegaf!

AxDgyf4CIAAbIda.jpg:large

/XX/

Well it probably won't look nearly as good as the OVAs.

Of course it doesn't help that Araki's character designs must be hell to animate.
A.P.P.P. seemed to be a pretty relevant studio on those days... what exactly happened to them? I suppose they are working on this new adaptation, right?

Anyone here has seen impressions on their latest movie?

Eureka Seven 1-3

This is just what I'm looking for. A good old fashioned adventure, likable Main, Side, & Support characters, good visuals, little bit of romance, toss in some mechs, let's do this.

Jex

So France is getting a DVD collection of Legend of the Galactic Heroes released. Why can't we in America get good things like this?

Well, France has a history of respecting stuff like animation/comic books so it's a more generally accepted part of their culture as a whole and something that isn't as overly frowned upon as it might be elsewhere.

Binbougami ga 1

This was everything I hoped it would be and more. A fantastic adaptation that even added a few things like the Medaka reference. Momiji and Sakura are both awesome in animated form. When the ED played, I was a bit disappointed they didn't show
Suwano's post card
but then they did after it! Awesome!

And yeah, both the OP and the ED are friggin addicting.

She loves her sake. And I created a cute drinking game, everytime she drinks some sake I will do the same. 6 more episodes to go!

Another human being watching Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran?
I remember marathoning the last few eps in 320x240 on my mp3 player in the car waiting to pick up my sister at the airport

survivor

Banned
Seitokai Yakuindomo 13

Eh, I didn't like them resorting to flashbacks in the second half of the episode. Well the fake ones were pretty funny but I felt like they should have used their time on other type of jokes.

Time to watch the OVAs now

Sengoku Collection 14
You know, 14 episodes in and this is actually probably the first episode of girls doing girly things. Yeah, no conflict, no drama, it was a slice of life with all the boring and mindless talking to go with it. I also wasn't aware that the Shinsengumi were apart of the Sengoku period but whatever works I guess.
Also, new OP which sounds boring. New ED too but way too much noise to like the song. At least they both show the hint of something going to happen that will probably last 10 minutes.
Also, this episode has like a minute of breast poking.

Sengoku Collection 14

You know, 14 episodes in and this is actually probably the first episode of girls doing girly things. Also, new OP which sounds boring. New ED too but way too much noise to like the song.

Well theres goes my incentive for even giving 23 minutes of my time every week to this anime. ABCHO "Me wo Tojite Guyusshiyo" was litrally the main reason to keep tuning in each week, but now this...no.

In order to set myself up for Saki, I watched the first few eps of Akagi.

...and that seemed a bit meaningless haha, but it was a cool distinction.

Anyhow, I can see why Saki got a fanbase.

lolis, zettai ryouiki, short skirts, yuri, balloon boobs.... and some high speed mahjong with yugioh style score counter.

that dead cat thing on that loli is fucking freaky shit. why must it emote and shit o_O.
There are a bunch of characters who look like lolis in Saki, but apart from the occasional flashback, they're all actually in high school, so they're really pseudo-lolis. The "loli" characters are all at least 15-16.

But yeah, I'm sure those things, and the nopan also, perhaps, helped make the series more popular.

Saki 2

Those skirts are really short. Not much moe antics outside of everyone blushing during their idle face, which is cute, and fucking weird.

2 eps, 2 bath/shower scenes. I can get behind this.
There's more mahjong and yuri antics in Saki than moe antics, probably, unless you say that the whole thing is moe antics because of the characters involved...

I thought Saki was a :firehawk show? Why is it full of shameless fanservice?
No, it's a mahjong/yuri series with fanservice, mostly. And the anime is like that because the manga's similar.

Saki was never a :firehawk show; firehawk just happens to like Mahjong.
There are bits of :firehawk here and there, actually, in the story. Some characters are not happy about their need to part because of graduation, for instance. Of course given the yuri it might keep some of them together in the future, who knows, but there is at least a bit of it. It's not the central theme of the series, certainly, but there are bits of it present. But yeah, "firehawk happens to like mahjong" is probably the primary reason.

And shameless yuri pandering.
Who doesn't like that, though? :)

DiGiKerot

How do you play said card game?

It's not a card game in itself, they're protective sleeves to put the cards for whatever card game it is you play in (that's why they come in packs of 60-65 - you can put all your cards in matching sleeves so you can't be accused of cheating, or conversely have obvious tells for your opponent). I gather these ones are made by Movic, so presumably they expect you to be playing Precious Memories or Prism Connect or some such (as opposed to Bushiroad, who also release such sleeves and also make Cardfight Vanguard and WiesSchwarz).

Suppose they'd fit other popular card game cards, but the iM@S sleeves I've ordered haven't arrived yet, so I wouldn't know.

Soma

Binbougami 01

Momiji <3

Yeah really happy with this adaption from the first episode. Some of the jokes lost a bit of their impact on me since I just recently started reading the manga, but they definitely picked a good studio to work on the show. The references were pretty well done. Didn't feel as blatant and in your face like Nyaruko, thankfully. Really catchy OP and I love the ED as well.

Good stuff. Favorite from the season so far... despite really only watching two new shows so far.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Another human being watching Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran?
I remember marathoning the last few eps in 320x240 on my mp3 player in the car waiting to pick up my sister at the airport

Yeah, uhh, I don't think that I've ever even heard this anime's name mentioned in the greater part of a decade. I bought all of the DVD volumes at a dollar store circa 2005 which is the only reason I even know about its existence, hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom