• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Symphogear 12

Where'd all this budget come from? Art, animation, music direction, and hell, the direction in general was a step above the shit leading up to this. Nice to see all sorts of thematic stuff running throughout the series come together in a respectable fashion too. Admittedly, it's really kinda cliche stuff but executed well enough in this episode for it to not be hampered by such.

You crazy. That scene is the culmination of the characters constantly skirting the border of despair and optimism until they finally got the spark to be pushed far into hot-blooded territory. Though I imagine it isn't as effective if you haven't actually watched the show.

And the designs are great!

Going back to these older posts, cosmic's mostly right as that's effectively the dramatic payoff leading into the finale. I wouldn't say it's truly badass and it's actually sort of expected but satisfying nontheless when it finally occurs.
Nehushtan design still sucks.

Jex

[Eureka Seven AO] - 15

I think this is the first competent of episode of Eureka Seven AO that I have ever seen. It's come rather too late in the lifecycle of the series, but I suppose the adage 'better late than never' applies here.

Why, exactly, do I think that this episode is competent? It's actually focused on telling one particular story, which is directly tied into the main plot of the show. It doesn't mess around cutting to a thousand different sub-plots, it doesn't involve really bizarre plot-twists that come out of nowhere, stupid Truth and stupid Naru don't get involved either.

As it's actually focused, for a change, the editing and pacing is far, far better because it's not doing all those cuts to placed and people that we don't know or care about. More like this please.

wonzo

Banned
Gunsmith Cats 3 END
gunsmith3.jpg
gunsmith3a.jpg
gunsmith3b.jpg
gunsmith3c.jpg

This was a pretty strong ending to a fantastic OVA series. While it unfortunately didn't have any awesome mechanical animation like part 2, it certainly had some really well done action scenes which managed to have a real sense of tension to them. I must say that the direction the plot went in was fairly predictable but I didn't care about any of that stuff in the first place as everything else more than easily made up for it!

gunsmith3d.jpg

Kagami

Ro Kyu Bu 8

So now flashbacks to when a high school girl was a loli and more swimsuits and even a maid. Where'd the basketball go?!?? Oh there it is but its in swimsuits. fml

icvvY98tozhlL.gif
Pool episodes leading directly into basketball, resulting in swimsuit basketball.
Brilliant!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
[Eureka Seven AO] - 15

I think this is the first competent of episode of Eureka Seven AO that I have ever seen. It's come rather too late in the lifecycle of the series, but I suppose the adage 'better late than never' applies here.

Why, exactly, do I think that this episode is competent? It's actually focused on telling one particular story, which is directly tied into the main plot of the show. It doesn't mess around cutting to a thousand different sub-plots, it doesn't involve really bizarre plot-twists that come out of nowhere, stupid Truth and stupid Naru don't get involved either.

As it's actually focused, for a change, the editing and pacing is far, far better because it's not doing all those cuts to placed and people that we don't know or care about. More like this please.

It also hints at FleurxAo pairing which is always good. Yeah?

Branduil

Gunsmith Cats 3 END

This was a pretty strong ending to a fantastic OVA series. While it unfortunately didn't have any awesome mechanical animation like part 2, it certainly had some really well done action scenes which managed to have a real sense of tension to them. I must say that the direction the plot went in was fairly predictable but I didn't care about any of that stuff in the first place as everything else more than easily made up for it!

gunsmith3d.jpg

Symphogear 12

Where'd all this budget come from? Art, animation, music direction, and hell, the direction in general was a step above the shit leading up to this. Nice to see all sorts of thematic stuff running throughout the series come together in a respectable fashion too. Admittedly, it's really kinda cliche stuff but executed well enough in this episode for it to not be hampered by such.

Going back to these older posts, cosmic's mostly right as that's effectively the dramatic payoff leading into the finale. I wouldn't say it's truly badass and it's actually sort of expected but satisfying nontheless when it finally occurs.
Nehushtan design still sucks.

Yeah, I may have overhyped it a bit, but it's the kind of scene I'm a total sucker for. That does kind of make it apparent it's cliche, but like you said, I thought it was executed very well. The direction, the music, Phine's dialogue questioning where the power is coming from, the
"SYMPHOGEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR"
; it's everything I love about "get up and fight!" scenes.

Narag

Symphogear 13

First half sucked and the only notable part was the pretty explosions. Second half was surprisingly badass in how
Hibiki won over Ryoko right after Ryoko said fuck it, threw a chain into the moon, and dragged a piece out to end human civilization.
:lol

It's as I expected in the end. Average show with some problems. If production values had been higher and, well, everything more consistent this would have been great. I did like it though despite all the warts.

Narag

Yeah, I may have overhyped it a bit, but it's the kind of scene I'm a total sucker for. That does kind of make it apparent it's cliche, but like you said, I thought it was executed very well. The direction, the music, Phine's dialogue questioning where the power is coming from, the
"SYMPHOGEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR"
; it's everything I love about "get up and fight!" scenes.

I hear you. I've my own soft spots for stuff that I can't help but eat up every time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
iby2VLZs1aI1Rd.png

HEY

HEY NARUTO

YOU LOOK KIND OF COOL

Jex

Macross was never a classic franchise. The original series was dredge, 7 was complete garbage. Frontier with all of its flaws still had Sheryl Fucking Nome in it so for that I enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed the original for Misa.

The OVAs and Movies in the franchise were and still are great though.

For once I am really going to have to agree with darkside. I probably wouldn't call the original series 'dredge', but it is extremely uneven.

wonzo

Banned
Macross was never a classic franchise. The original series was dredge, 7 was complete garbage. Frontier with all of its flaws still had Sheryl Fucking Nome in it so for that I enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed the original for Misa.

The OVAs and Movies in the franchise were and still are great though.
So what you're saying is I should just check out Macross Plus and DYRL and forget about the rest?

Your posts about RKB are making this thread unsafe for everyone. You monster.
Yeah, at least I have the decency to pixelate such sick filth!

Thoraxes

They used that scene on Tomoka's "Good night!" card in Wife Collection.

http://i.imgur.com/t6CFh.jpg
I actually have that too. Had no clue they used that on there. I'll check it out later.
Your posts about RKB are making this thread unsafe for everyone. You monster.
Yeah, at least I have the decency to pixelate such sick filth!

It's a wholesome family show though.

The Olympics drove me to watch it, guys. They drove my life down the path of destruction.

Jex

[Binbougami] - 4

I literally feel asleep watching this one. I am sorry, cosmicblizzard-chan, but I am done with this show for now.

duckroll

Binbougami - Episode 4

This episode could have given me brain damage. I don't think I'm a fan of this new character, at least not in "human" form anyway. I'm a sucker of cute-animal-is-really-evil gags though. So conflicted. I think I'm starting to get a tad sick of the one-directional plot though. Something needs to happen soon to introduce new ideas, because watching Binbougami fail week after week is starting to wear thin.

wonzo

Banned
It's a wholesome family show though.

The Olympics drove me to watch it, guys. They drove my life down the path of destruction.
damn olympics, delaying anime and now making people watch terrible shows. i blame london

this is the future man, she
has prosthetic legs irl
this is a huge blow to the great moe™ scale and wheelchair moe in general but i'm sure she can gain some points back depending on
what the prosthetics look like

Everyone should watch Macross Plus.

Just avoid the bad movie version.
Duly noted.

Kagami

I love the original Macross, and also liked DYRL, Zero, and Frontier.
Haven't seen 2, 7, or Plus, but I'm planning on picking up the 7 BDs coming out later this year.

Plus has always looked like the least appealing Macross to me.
I guess if they do a BD release I'll get it for completion's sake and see what I think.

Branduil

Hey, I kinda like the movie! It's easier to rewatch anyway. Either way Macross Plus is a dated, convoluted, sexist show about terrible characters doing stupid things. But it sure is pretty.

The movie rearranges things so that the characters look even worse. It also makes no sense and has terrible pacing and re-editing.

Plus it has the worst CGI shot ever.

[Binbougami] - 4

I literally feel asleep watching this one. I am sorry, cosmicblizzard-chan, but I am done with this show for now.

Ah well, you tried.

Binbougami - Episode 4

This episode could have given me brain damage. I don't think I'm a fan of this new character, at least not in "human" form anyway. I'm a sucker of cute-animal-is-really-evil gags though. So conflicted. I think I'm starting to get a tad sick of the one-directional plot though. Something needs to happen soon to introduce new ideas, because watching Binbougami fail week after week is starting to wear thin.

At least next week starts an actual arc. No idea what you'll think of it if you didn't care for episode 3, though. The next "new" thing is Ranmaru's introduction, which could be more episodes off than you're willing to watch, so I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom