• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Kokoro Connect 6

I've got a real nasty feeling about this new premise since it looks like things are gonna get a hell of a lot more... wangsty. Hopefully the payoff is worth it.

Horizon s2 6

YLRXg.jpg

Another great episode of stuff happening. The fights have been straight up awesome, especially chain girl vs cyborg and wolf dude vs crazy arm chick. The banana peel sequence was amazing.

Looking forward to next week after that little twist at the end there and some other fights resuming.

Branduil

Himari had no shot regardless. Would you rather some RKB girl advance?

I didn't think so.

Maybe I just want to watch the world burn.

Actually it seems kind of surprising that a Persona 4 character would also fare so badly, but I guess it's a relatively mainstream franchise so the number of fans who would vote in an obscure otaku poll is rather small.

Branduil

He's a cakecon, can't be helped.

France > Germany > Sister > etc, btw.

Ooooh a waifu list war. I always love these.

so let's seeeeee

France > Sister > Eyepatch > Japan > the others are lame

Pikachu > France > Sister > Germany > China > Japan

This is like arguing who was the least evil Nazi.

IS talk is where I draw the line, bros. Never again.

Infinite Stratos. Not even once.

Nafe

Oh man I've missed seeing Arjuna in the thread. It's been too long since we've put someone through the grinder.

I haven't seen it yet either. Someday I'll get around to it.

Yeah, it's really just the bounce, but Nobuna's armor gets extra points for bucking the near-universal trend of female armor in anime having to be breast-shaped.

Ok, because personally I like her armor sans the bust bounce. If the armor has a bust line I don't really mind it too much as even some male armor might press outward along the breastplate compared to the mid-rift torso section. I haven't seen some shows like Queens Blade though which apparently is pretty sexualized so I don't know what I'll think of that armor.

Yeah. It was a pretty good
death
but after all the stuff that happened before, it just made it kind of a let down.
Probably sound crazy but sometimes (the series and especially the movie) felt like a group of people created characters while another did plot/story with absolutely no communication between them.

Been thinking about the overall series since I finished it and im starting to like it more, though just wish it had more closure.

I don't remember exactly how it happened but I agree that with all that happened before it felt really anti-climatic.
As far as the series as a whole I don't remember but I might have liked the first part more but I don't really remember not liking the second half to the degree as many people have mentioned they do. The movie though, I can agree that I felt really disappointed with that.

Loving the new avatar too. The colour palette and shading looks nice.

Well, there are just things that don't matter. Like, do people crap in Star Trek? If the replicator can make perfect food, then theoretically, there would be no waste to generate. Certainly no one ever has to relieve themselves at least. But the shows never go into it and really, it's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

It only gets derpy when people make it derpy. Like, in Star Trek, everyone is obsessed with popular culture from our past. From the years 2000 to 2200, no culture whatsoever was created or invented. Stuff like that is weird. But how do you even invent music that's supposed to sound like it's from the 23rd century? Hell, ask someone 20 years ago if dubstep would be a thing and they'd probably laugh at you.

Yeah, this reminds me that I got into watching Stargate SG-1 a few years ago and reading somewhere some fan had asked why does every planet they visit speak English? I think it was one of the lead writers answered that it was for time and practicality reasons. They didn't want to take up 20 min. of many shows having them trying to figure out each others language and that plot point in general would get old quick.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice accuracy and reality to try and just make the show a fun watch. The same goes for video games.

My impression is that
her dad read the pamphlet, saw that they had weight restrictions, knew that she was too "big", and rather than just tell her that she was fat, tried to convince her to stop by being a dick. She then reads it herself and realizes that she's too heavy, so she tries to lose weight as quickly as possible.

As for the actual thing that happened. Honestly, anime is and almost always has been afraid to treat its characters like people with real foibles. So everything has to be melodramatic, or the stakes are so big that it becomes impossible to see the actual characters.

I mean, this is an episode about a girl who thinks she is too fat. That's basically it. On normal TV, it's almost banal, because even a dumbass show like the old 90210 had an episode where a kid played with his father's loaded gun and shot himself to death. Hell, they're even called "Very Special" episodes as a joke now. But contemporary anime doesn't even try to tell those kinds of stories, really. The closest that I can remember is Wandering Son and Aoi Hana, but even I find those problematic because of Shimura's writing. And hell, Intersexuality had to be made into a Jdrama because no one would pay for an anime about a person dealing with having a gender imposed on them.

Most of the time, when you have "girls who feel fat" episodes, they turn into joke episodes like this week's episode of YuruYuri. Because dealing with a girl
who shoves fingers down her throat in order to induce vomiting is too much for most people to think about.

I actually think this episode of Tari Tari was a nice compromise. It's something that happens, but she doesn't end up
in a hospital or being lectured by crying parents or whatever. Or at least, I hope that doesn't happen next week. lol Presumably any tears will be tied to her actual accident and not her one day of anorexia.

That Reiko Yoshida OVA Otona Joshi no Anime Time dealt with it the same way. You see the main character binge and then purge, but there is no speech or consequences. Her mother thinks "animals ruined the kitchen" and that's that. It's a perfect compromise between showing a different psychological problem but not necessarily being preachy about it.

Okay, that makes sense. It just seemed that from the last episode her father had the same views so it didn't make sense like she was trying harder to convince him. It also seemed like she was doing well at practice before so I thought why would she be suddenly changing her routine?

I initially wondered if that pamphlet was something that said she had passed the preliminary sections for the competition or something and her father was coming across that even if she was doing well, being a jockey still isn't a real job. Also possibly that while she was maybe doing well now, would she always be? and focusing so much on horse riding she wouldn't have anything to fall back on. With that said though, her sudden actions didn't really fall in line with that. It's probably what you mentioned then.
In any case it will be interesting to see how the show handles this topic next episode.

I still have yet to watch Otona Joshi no Anime Time so I'll have to keep that in mind.

Narag

Key the Metal Idol 1

This is so reminiscent of something like Pinocchio or even Edward Scissorhands. The latter in particular actually as the upgrade for her birthday instantly reminded me of Vincent Price's scenes. Getting roped into the situation she did at the end was fucked up.
GeSQzl.png

Titular character.

Jt3u2l.png
sjo2dl.png
BSXI9l.png

While I'm sure this sort of thing won't be the norm, it's always a treat to stumble across something like it when I least expect it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Glass Fleet: Legend of the Wind of the Universe 01:

- QUALITY CG, even for Satelight
- fireworks...IN SPACE
- vaguely sexual asteroids
- the GOD of the BLACK CROSS
- guards dressing like Flava Flav
- ships with STAINED GLASS HULLS
- horses opening doors
- a girl in epaulettes (mmmmm)
- ...wait, he? Oh, Michel, not Michelle...
- punchcard typewriters as future tech
- sad harmonicas
- CLEO *swoon*

I'm in the presence of greatness. The galaxy in revolution. Renaissance.

Branduil

There is no ranking too long or too irrelevant to be worth doing.

*breathes in*

Sengoku Collection girls ranking:

Ashikaga Yoshiteru > Ageha > Yagyuu Sekishuusai > Houjou Soun > Uesugi Kenshin > Hiraga Gennai > Sen no Rikyuu > Katakura Kojuurou > Ootani Yoshitsugu > Takahashi Jun > Sugitani Zenjubou > Maeda Keiji > Date Masamune > Mogami Yoshiaki > Fuuma Kotarou > Oda Nobunaga > Miko Trio > Taigen Sessai > Toyotomi Hideyoshi > Tokugawa Ieyasu > Imagawa Yoshimoto > Matsunaga Hisahide > Liu Bei > Matsuou Bashou > Tsukahara Bokuden > Ai > Naoe Kanetsugu

Friend, I think it's time for an intervention.

Okay, intervention started.

wonzo

Banned

- fireworks...IN SPACE
- horses opening doors
- sad harmonicas
- CLEO *swoon*

It gets even better.

Branduil

If you're attracted to shyness, that's perfectly fine and understandable. It can be cute. Just for me personally, there's a rather large gulf between "shy" and "deathly terrified of anything with a penis". The latter is just kind of unrealistic and reprehensible.

Yeah, the problem is not the shyness, the problem is the misandry played off as moe.

Key the Metal Idol 1

This is so reminiscent of something like Pinocchio or even Edward Scissorhands. The latter in particular actually as the upgrade for her birthday instantly reminded me of Vincent Price's scenes. Getting roped into the situation she did at the end was fucked up.
Moe Edward Scissorhands? Not sure if want...

jman2050

- fireworks...IN SPACE
- horses opening doors
- sad harmonicas
- CLEO *swoon*

I told you. Glass Fleet is a must watch by everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, this reminds me that I got into watching Stargate SG-1 a few years ago and reading somewhere some fan had asked why does every planet they visit speak English? I think it was one of the lead writers answered that it was for time and practicality reasons. They didn't want to take up 20 min. of many shows having them trying to figure out each others language and that plot point in general would get old quick.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice accuracy and reality to try and just make the show a fun watch. The same goes for video games.
Yeah, although when they first started, Jackson would do his fake Egyptian thing over and over again. "Chuppai... we call it the "Stargate"". lol
Of course, SG-1 basically got put in a difficult position after they got bigger and started doing stories about trying to tell other worlds how to handle their affairs. In Star Trek land, I suppose it makes sense for humans to tell people what to do, but given that the SGC represented America and no other country, it was silly.

Okay, that makes sense. It just seemed that from the last episode her father had the same views so it didn't make sense like she was trying harder to convince him. It also seemed like she was doing well at practice before so I thought why would she be suddenly changing her routine?

I initially wondered if that pamphlet was something that said she had passed the preliminary sections for the competition or something and her father was coming across that even if she was doing well, being a jockey still isn't a real job. Also possibly that while she was maybe doing well now, would she always be? and focusing so much on horse riding she wouldn't have anything to fall back on. With that said though, her sudden actions didn't really fall in line with that. It's probably what you mentioned then.
In any case it will be interesting to see how the show handles this topic next episode.

I still have yet to watch Otona Joshi no Anime Time so I'll have to keep that in mind.

Well, it's just that there's no other real reason she's going on a diet. Unless she really does have a secret boyfriend anyway. lol

I'll say that Otona Joshi is nothing particularly special. It's about a woman deciding to divorce her husband and doesn't get more complicated than that, but again, you barely have adult characters in anime... let alone realistic ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom