• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

It's the greatest bromance never told. With Kirito's skill and Klein's leadership, SAO would have been cleared in a month.

And then Klein would die in Kirito's arms at the end--they'll lean in for a final kiss, but Klein will disappear before their lips lock.

Best anime.

cajunator

Banned
Don't watch GC. It's bad.

Honestly, if they really wanted to, I think they would've done so already. Why create original material when they could've easily made these SS two episodes each? Doesn't make much sense to me.

But it has a girl with a cat ear suit.

Defuser

It's been months since GC ended but I'm still listening to the Everlasting Guilty Crown. Supercell is the only thing good about GC.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's been months since GC ended but I'm still listening to the Everlasting Guilty Crown. Supercell is the only thing good about GC.

Not true. The OST is good too. And the animation. And Gai. Well... part of him. Lol. Though, him being Rey Za Burrel didn't help.

Kanokon: The Girl Who Cried Fox 7
coA23.png

What beautiful mountains.
A snow ninja arrives to test loser boy. It's a cute episode about the kids of the school trying to survive during a blizzard. Still don't understand the red-haired twins, but I'm not sure you are supposed to at all...

kayos90

Kanokon: The Girl Who Cried Fox 7

A snow ninja arrives to test loser boy. It's a cute episode about the kids of the school trying to survive during a blizzard. Still don't understand the red-haired twins, but I'm not sure you are supposed to at all...

I'm so glad I dropped this show. This looks soooo stupid.

Supercell is a good band so thats not surprising.
The show has to have some redeeming qualities.

Oh yeah. It does. Too bad it can't carry the show to stardom. Or even avarageness.

EDIT: Okay, that last sentence was a bit too harsh.

Branduil

Now and Then, Here and There - 03

h6a8J.jpg

I dunno... it's good, but sometimes i feel it's being grimdark for the sake of being grimdark. Like the
implied rape scene
, i'm not sure what was its purpose.

I think the general theme of the show is "war sucks."

Jex

It tries too hard to create a negative oppressive shithole atmosphere. We get it already!

I don't particularly think that it's 'trying too hard', rather, I think the particular location that the series is set in is extremely oppressive and unpleasant. Nothing that happens there feels exceedingly exaggerated, based on my knowledge of child soldiers.

kayos90

It would make way more sense if someone dropped it prior to episode 12...

The main story started way too late in AO imo. I mean, if almost half of your show is dedicated to solely characterizing, I feel a bit sour. Granted E7 did the same thing but you got hints of the plot and such moving in the first 25 episodes. Here.... it's just... pure character development.

Eh, Tari Tari essentially has awful faces in every single episode. It's a little distracting.

I don't think it's that bad.... What's so bad about it?

Narag

I don't particularly think that it's 'trying too hard', rather, I think the particular location that the series is set in is extremely oppressive and unpleasant. Nothing that happens there feels exceedingly exaggerated, based on my knowledge of child soldiers.

It's more the extra step taken to show how terrible things are. I get that the leader was crazy so there wasn't a need to strangle the cat on top of that. I get it sucks to be a female in this situation but there wasn't a need to throw rape on top of that. Thinking back, the indoctrinated child soldiers wasn't what aggravated me all that much.

Jex

Ghost in the Shell

Then there are the clunkers where people over explain both the themes and the plot to each other (and more specifically to the audience), but I suppose I can forgive that given how relatively tight the film is when it comes to everything else.

Clunky speeches are just one of Oshii's many tropes. Interestingly, even with those in his movies people still manage to completely miss the point of his films quite often.
And as much as I like the world and the ideas, I can't imagine how they could drag this out to a 52 episode anime series. I'm not even sure that I'd want to check out the sequel because where else can you go after that ending?
Well, the series tells many other stories which aren't the puppet master storyline. After all, both the series and the films are based on a manga which contains multiple volumes of stories.

Sword Art Online 4

You guys weren't kidding about the pandering. I love how casually anime zig-zags along the line between
lust and familial love.

Kirito is really going full Hei here.
Using the loli as bait
was great.

The show just keeps getting better and better.
Gross.... I hope yall aren't being serious.
wut

kayos90

You have to post twice for each post I make!

Is that physically... possible?

Sword Art Online 4

You guys weren't kidding about the pandering. I love how casually anime zig-zags along the line between
lust and familial love.

Kirito is really going full Hei here.
Using the loli as bait
was great.

The show just keeps getting better and better.

I can't tell if you're legitimately enjoying this or not. lol.

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 41
yyyyeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

FINALLY

Summary of any worthwhile thing Maruyama said at his Otakon panel:

- He wants to make Pluto, but it needs to be 8 hour long episodes. Someone give him money to do it, and he'll do it. Open your wallets now.

- He wants to complete Kon's Dream Machine within the next 5 years. Open your wallets now.

- Before making Kids on the Slope with Watanabe, he was actually trying to get several projects off the ground at Madhouse with the director. None of them ever got into production. They actually completed a script for a movie once, but that got canned too.

- He would like to work with Kawajiri again, but the bastard is still at Madhouse so it would be hard. If they do work together again he would want Kawajiri to make something a little different.

tl;dr: If you want more cool stuff from MAPPA, please Paypal Maruyama lots of money!
If they need money then I'm sure there's a couple of unadapted genderbent historical figure card games out there just waiting for their time to shine!

If we've learnt anything over the course of the last few years, with the slow death of US anime companies and everything, is that they really love to waste money on licensing shit.
Heat Guy J killed anime

cajunator

Banned
Well, the girls always want to have sex with the protagonist. They're always making sex jokes. ALL THE TIME. Just not my cup of tea.

Thats like Maburaho.
Lots of sex jokes and such.
That anime turned out excellent and I bought all seven Dvds and the artbox, so I definitely felt it was worth it.
If Kanokon is similar to that at all it might be entertaining enough to watch.

Jex

It's more the extra step taken to show how terrible things are. I get that the leader was crazy so there wasn't a need to strangle the cat on top of that. I get it sucks to be a female in this situation but there wasn't a need to throw rape on top of that. Thinking back, the indoctrinated child soldiers wasn't what aggravated me all that much.

Leaving aside questions of dead cats, for the moment, rape is obviously a very sensitive subject. You argue that 'there wasn't a need to throw rape on top of that' but I disagree. Rape and war have been tied together for thousands of years, even if it's rare to see a story cover that subject. It's not some grimdark trope, it's an extremely prevalent problem. I don't see why they would want to shy away from that aspect of being in a group of soldiers when it's an extremely common occurrence.

Branduil

Rape is an actual thing that happens in war, though. You can't really have a show about the horrors of war and not acknowledge that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom