• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Jojo TV starts in October and will air on MBS, CBC, Tokyo MX, and various other networks.

Staff:
Director: Naokatsu Tsuda
Series Director: Kenichi Suzuki
Visual Director: Yasufumi Soejima
Series Composition: Yasuko Kobayashi
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Takako Shimizu
Music: Hayato Matsuo
Animation Production: David Production

I see that I'm not the only who was surprised to see that Jo Jo's is going to be adapted by some no-name guy. Considering how hugely popular and successful the series has been I'd have expected some rather more recognisable talent to be working on it. That's rather disappointing.

I mean, David Production? Really?

Really?

Uchip

Banned
so which franchise has been revived with flying colours? any?
I mean kenshin, eureka 7, berserk, Saint Seiya are all disappointing and now jojo and magi are looking iffy

Hellsing Ultimate was an improvement for a while, but thats becoming a big mess too :S

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I mean kenshin, eureka 7, berserk, Saint Seiya are all disappointing and now jojo and magi are looking iffy

Hellsing Ultimate was an improvement for a while, but thats becoming a big mess too :S

We developed a handy list of anime reboots/remakes in a previous thread, although they weren't broken down by quality. Hopefully someone has quick access to it and can repost the list here. I'll try to find it, in the mean time.

edit: found it:

Reideen (Remake)
Rebuild of Evangelion Film Series (Remake and alteration)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Remake, alteration and extension)
Berserk Film Series (Remake and extension)
Appleseed XIII (lol)
Hunter x Hunter (Remake and extension presumably)
Lupin (Prequel, different style)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (Remake)
Cyborg 0009 (Film)
Jo Jo's (Covering material not covered before?)
Sailor Moon (new material ?)
Gundam Origin (remake of adaptation of original show - thanks 7th)
Saint Seyia Omega
Casshern Sins (Remake)
Terra e (Remake)
Hakaba Kitarou (Remake)
Yatterman (Remake)
Shin Mazinger (Reboot)
New Jeeg

Dragonball Kai (Rebroadcast/clean up)
Gundam SEED HD (Rebroadcast/clean up)

Out of the ones I've seen, I thought that FMA:B, Casshern Sins, and Hakaba Kitarou were successful takes on the original material on at least some level.

yes, yes, I know that Brotherhood is the original material, you know what I mean though

I see that I'm not the only who was surprised to see that Jo Jo's is going to be adapted by some no-name guy. Considering how hugely popular and successful the series has been I'd have expected some rather more recognisable talent to be working on it. That's rather disappointing.

I mean, David Production? Really?

Really?
Wikipedia said:
Works

• Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (Main production: Sunrise; production assistance in many episodes, 2008)
Aw yeah.

How is Magi a revival?

Jex

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about the new Jo Jo's production. After all it became clear that we'd entered a strange time with Studio 4oc making the Berserk movies.

I really have absolutely no idea who makes the decision about which studio's adapt which properties. Are they simply going with the low bidders? I don't know enough about the whole process of how a manga becomes an anime to make and judgement calls. Do studios pitch to companies? etc etc.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about the new Jo Jo's production. After all it became clear that we'd entered a strange time with Studio 4oc making the Berserk movies.

I really have absolutely no idea who makes the decision about which studio's adapt which properties. Are they simply going with the low bidders? I don't know enough about the whole process of how a manga becomes an anime to make and judgement calls. Do studios pitch to companies? etc etc.

You're just mad because you're not David motherfucking Production.

Uchip

Banned
the
assassination scene
in the first Berserk movie was perfect
if they could fire the cg staff and hire square enix we could have something great
they might as well considering how insignificant final fantasy has become

duckroll

Another possibility in this case is that David Production might have some sort of working relationship with Warner Brothers as it is, and got the gig as part of that relationship. They created the Baby Superman pilot, and went on the produce the show for Warner.

Jex

[Humanity Has Declined] - 7

Well, that was a lot than the last five episodes, although it wasn't without it's problems. I understand that the episode was meant to make the viewer feel confused about the events that were unfolding but that doesn't explain away some of the sloppy editing.

It's mainly just nice to see the show tackle a storyline that's actually suitable for the kind of world the show is set in as opposed to just exploring ideas that you could explore in any other show.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe they were the only studio to accept the condition that the Eternal Fairy has the power to halt the show if he doesn't like the first episode.

the
assassination scene
in the first Berserk movie was perfect
if they could fire the cg staff and hire square enix we could have something great
they might as well considering how insignificant final fantasy has become

I hope the newer manga arcs become a tv series rather than movies.

Jex

Another possibility in this case is that David Production might have some sort of working relationship with Warner Brothers as it is, and got the gig as part of that relationship. They created the Baby Superman pilot, and went on the produce the show for Warner.

Well, at the very least that would make some kind of sense.

BluWacky

I don't actually think Saint Seiya Omega is any worse than the original. I'm not saying it's particularly great, but if you were a 10 year old Spanish kid watching Omega I don't think you'd have much to complain about and if it was your first exposure to the world of Seiya it's not going to put you off the whole thing forever.

Kenshin and Berserk I'll give you. E7 doesn't seem to be disappointing everyone. And what can we know about Jojo yet? I will admit to never having watched the OVAs or the Phantom Blood film but were they even particularly good?

Thoraxes

Eureka Seven Ao - 17

Real men go down with the ship.

a7IzX.gif

Jex

[Eureka Seven Ao] - 16

This is one of the better episodes in the series. I really felt that everything came together kind of neatly for the climax and, more importantly, the episode was actually paced well as opposed to being paced frenatically.

Of course, because this is E7 A there's always a "but". In this case that comes in the
last couple of minutes of the episode where we discover that Team Goldilocks no longer exist as a result of the scrub cannon thing.

I really feel like BONES are trolling the audience at this point by slapping another ridiculous asspull into the storyline for no practical purpose. In terms of ridiculous story-devices we've already got:

- Secret Identities

- NTR

- Organisations with secret agendas

- Bad politics everywhere

-Truth - everything about him

-Time-Travel

-Alternate Worlds

- And now, retcon guns.

Good.

Taruranto

Revolutionary Girl Utena 34

Well. That explains everything. And nothing. And it keeps me from pretending that episode 33 never happened.

Like Penguindrum, the "Tale of the Rose" backstory puts the show in this weird place where I can't really accept everything there as literal. It's a dreamscape where symbols and characters take the place of ideals of love, eternity, life, and death. I just kind of think of the broad strokes as "real" and discard the specifics.

This is as close as I've gotten to knowing what Utena is actually fighting for, and why all of this is happening. And I suspect this will be the closest I get until the show ends. I'm still rather confused as to what the distinction is between
Akio as Dios "making all the girls into princesses" and Akio as End of the World doing... whatever he does
, but I'm sure the end will make it slightly clearer with some explosion of flowers and things happening in sparse, symbolic backgrounds.

One of my favorite episodes.

Imo Utena does the
maybe "it was literal, maybe it was a metaphor for something"
much better than Penguindrum because of the setting, Ohtori is this magical fairy land were you are given the impression everything can happen.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate 5
tumblr_m8wcfhMlOa1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Yume never fails to deliver awesome lines for Oojima. Oojima rolls looked tasty and just all of the various interactions with those that kept stopping by the election room and what not was interesting. I think everyone on the cast is just plain good and hilarious, and they all get good amounts of screentime. The Election Primary was awesome, even in uinverse doujins of Yume and Oojima, and whoever thought of the photo cosplay/pose idea was a genius on their team. I hope he wins the election, and the best moment.

tumblr_m8wczj4ROg1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Uchip

Banned
[Eureka Seven Ao] - 16

This is one of the better episodes in the series. I really felt that everything came together kind of neatly for the climax and, more importantly, the episode was actually paced well as opposed to being paced frenatically.

Of course, because this is E7 A there's always a "but". In this case that comes in the
last couple of minutes of the episode where we discover that Team Goldilocks no longer exist as a result of the scrub cannon thing.

I really feel like BONES are trolling the audience at this point by slapping another ridiculous asspull into the storyline for no practical purpose. In terms of ridiculous story-devices we've already got:

- Secret Identities

- NTR

- Organisations with secret agendas

- Bad politics everywhere

-Truth - everything about him

-Time-Travel

-Alternate Worlds

- And now, retcon guns.

Good.

you forgot
third engine!
which im pretty sure was never mentioned until now
AO is truly the saver of humens

Yeah, but the Shinbo-ites seem more indebted to Shinbo than the previous generation of directors with Dezaki in terms of their output. Although I suppose it comes down to what the Shinbo-ites' style will be like 20 years from now when they're actually out on their own.

Well, yes, that's how influences work. C is influenced by B who was influenced by A. The further removed in time you become from the original influence the more it becomes obscured, but you can trace the lineage back from person to person if you so desire.

And what can we know about Jojo yet? I will admit to never having watched the OVAs or the Phantom Blood film but were they even particularly good?

The 2000 Jojo OVAs are OK, while the 1993 OVAs are astounding; some of the best anime I've ever seen, especially the gambler episode.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate 6
tumblr_m8wegliK331qbxqfpo1_500.png

Oojima's speech was cool
even though he slipped and got a bloody nose, I loved when he stood on the podium and what not, best speech
The results was so suspenseful, good episode and glad they did them back to back like that.

Rinne no Lagrange 8

Lan (and I suppose Muginami) looked really cute in their protest mode. Even
her reaction being told by Asteria that the whole "wan" thing was just a joke was super cute.
Even with Asteria's introduction
and her Madoka body part grabbing shenanigans
Lan remains the best girl :).

Eureka Seven AO 16
tumblr_m8vy5tPw0e1r9sea8o2_500.png

Well that was an awesome episode, Ao ftw. Loved everything with the Polaris plan and what not, and it was so gorgeous.

Truth got mad :( Hopefully he's stilll around and knows the truth in this new dimension or what not too

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 07

I LOVE THIS SHOW. This show files brilliantly next to the other Josei greats such as Nodame Cantabile and Chihiyafuru. If anyone else knows good shows in this genre please point me to them.

The "dance" still continues, and while the picture book world stuff wasn't amazing it still allowed us to know how Hazuki is handling things. Everything else though was superb. Compared to other genre's Josei really seems to focus hard on relationships, and this is where this show's really pushes itself hard. The flashbacks to the good times are a phenomenal use of getting us to really empathise with Shimao, even though Hazuki's arc makes him look somewhat clingy and annoying. His pensiveness doesn't stop him from making big moves, his tears are not unreasonable to the audience. The subversion of the permanence of death allows a deep analysis of his love, which is fortified by the constant narration of his deathbed intertwined with nostalgic memories of the good days.

The music really kicks in on that final scene. Wow.

Defuser

Gintama 61

Nice ending to the whole arc. Action was there, everyone had their time to shine, we all learned the heart of swordsmithing, actual villains that may appear someday in the future. It had it all.

And I'll watch the movie tomorrow (or like in 10 hours) firehawk!

17 more episodes till the best episode ever!

duckroll

oh
well apparently I dont remember

It's a background subject so they haven't really made it a major part of the plot until now, but they've definitely talked about it and referred to it multiple times throughout the series. You should watch the series again at some point!

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 07

I LOVE THIS SHOW. This show files brilliantly next to the other Josei greats such as Nodame Cantabile and Chihiyafuru. If anyone else knows good shows in this genre please point me to them.

You should take a look at these other adaptations of josei manga or manga of interest to josei lovers:

Aoi Hana
Honey and Clover
Kids on the Slope
Nana
Paradise Kiss
Princess Jellyfish
Ristorante Paradiso
Usagi Drop
Wandering Son

duckroll

can't wait to see the remake of the elevator scene.

I don't think they ever planned on remaking anything from End of Eva. I could be wrong, or the plan could have changed, but based on what they originally said I expect that they will mostly "remake" the TV storyline, and then from then on create a brand new finale, unlike anything in ep25-26 or End of Eva.

duckroll

Aren't the rumors that Inoue and Okiura worked on it? And it seems that Kameda is involved. I'm quite curious to see how it turns out.

Yeah I'm pretty certain Inoue and Kameda are working on it at least. Of course we'll also have stuff from Honda and Hiramatsu as well. Should be really awesome. I'm even looking forward to the CG!!
It will all look better on 35mm on a cinema screen! Suck it pizzaroll!!!!!!

Easily. He's into BSDM and his ears bother the crap out of me.

What's the deal with To-Love-Ru? Typical harem stuff just with the guys sister wanting to do him too?
o1o1z.png

I'll give that a shot.
Also,

Digimon>Pokemon
Obviously
Y'all should try watching some Don Bluth movies without the nostalgia glasses. It might be an eye-opening experience. He's really not all that, and lacks a distinctive voice compared to many of the more peculiar JP directors.

Even besides the fact that half of them movies out-and-out suck. (Fuck you, Rock-a-Doodle!)
Holy shit. I loved that movie, but I'm pretty sure I had nightmares about the storm scene or something when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in a long, long time so I don't remember exactly.

Gundam Seed Destiny 37

Great show! I dont know who the good and bad guys are but I like what I'm seeing. Up till now, Kira in season 1 was worse than Shinn.

sonicmj1

Paranoia Agent 6

Well, with that recap out of the way, our detectives are back on the case, tracking down some loose ends.

Simultaneously, as a storm builds, we find ourselves following Taeko. Her story is largely told through flashbacks as she wanders around the city. The transitions from present to past are very clear, and unlike other episodes, this one takes its time letting us know what her problems are. Unfortunately for me, it's
that her father was secretly taking lewd pictures of her with a hidden camera. I thought I'd only have to go through this shit once today... The transformation of the mood when that is revealed is striking. Her clicks and the advancing images make a powerful crescendo, matching the arrival of the storm.

iWPqjA8w7DCCW.png

The storm's development over the course of the episode is really great, and I like how it's matched with both storylines.

At this point I'd also like to
withdraw everything charitable I said about that cop from earlier. Dude's a scumbag.

This episode is pretty hard on the police. The poster in the interrogation room puts them hard against crime, when they're both in the middle of a more nuanced investigation and blind to many of their own realities (as seen in episode 4). I wonder how that will develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom