• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Mazinger-Z vs General of Darkness

Hey, a real movie this time from 1974. Opening was neat as it looked like it used colored drawing submissions from child fans. At least that's the assumption I'm going to operate under.

Story goes Boss and his friends encounter a prophet who predicts the end fo the world. They pass this along to Kouji and friends who are in turn relaxing after final victory over Dr. Hell and they don't really believe Boss. Cue the Mycene Empire arriving to simultaneously lay waste to multiple cities simultaneously around the globe. Duke Gorgon's task is to take on Tokyo and when Mazinger arrives, he's basically helpless as Tokyo is left in ruin while he's fighting the Mycene Empire's Warrior Beasts. The Photon Power Labs are destroyed directly thereafter and Shiro suffers a grave injury duing this fight that also claimed Sayaka's Diana S robot. The Mycene Empire presses their advantage and launches an attack against Mazinger Z in an effort to destroy the one obstacle in their way. Kouji's weak from giving blood to save Shiro's life but heads out to meet them in a damaged Mazinger Z anyway, fully expecting to die as he's hopelessly outmatched.

He's promptly worked over good and then I was treated to one of the coolest things I've ever seen in anime.
The prophet decides he can't simply stand by and watch Mazinger Z be destroyed. He pulls off his mask to reveal he's Kenzo Kabuto, Kouji's missing father, in disguise. He calls out to a nearby volcano that's erupting and out shoots the Brain Condor while familiar theme music kicks up. From the depths of the very ocean itself rises Great Mazinger to combine with it and off they go to trash the Mycene Empire monsters attacking Kouji. So fucking satisfying.

This movie was damn cool, surprisingly grim, and the sorrow and fear Kouji carried towards the end was great.

ASSZCl.png

70s Duke Gorgon

7UcX5l.png

Mysterious prophet looking very... prophetic.

ePPI8l.png
Wm4xNl.png

Is this the end of Mazinger Z?!

Mazinkaiser: Deathmatch! General Dark

lbTui.gif

This is a remake of 1974's Mazinger-Z vs General of Darkness and follows the same sort of structure where the Mycene Empire and starts attacking Earth. The difference here is rather than Kouji being on his own against them, he's caught unawares across the globe as he races home to reunite with Mazinkaiser as the rest of the Mazinger Army fall. He's also really pissed about all of this rather than bearing the melancholy present in the 1974 film. Once they reunite in a very, very awesome manner, shit gets so real.

Any complaint about sterility I may have had in the first Mazinkaiser OVAs is wiped away here. Holy shit, this is the dark brave take I thought it'd be, it's unafraid in it's execution of events, and most importantly it comes across as its own product rather than just tossing Kouji an upgrade and then back to business as normal as in that first OVA. Very nearly more awesome than I could handle and a very worthy remake of the film it's based on.

CDIbBl.png
GbT6gl.png

00's Duke Gorgon

VbIt7l.png
RA5Mhl.png

CS0FSl.png
Rxv46l.png

OVA makes it a point to show no one is safe. So much so there's just enough reason to be concerned about the main characters.

bVYtZl.png

Just liked this shot.

QMkCql.png
h6gAol.png

Mazinkaiser itself.

RjdCMl.png
KsVurl.png

Also of note, hey it's this guy in both as he's the titular General of Darkness or whatever. After watching these and reading up a bit, Shin Mazinger Z's ending finally makes perfect sense.

Novid

Banned
Mazinger-Z vs General of Darkness

Hey, a real movie this time from 1974. Opening was neat as it looked like it used colored drawing submissions from child fans. At least that's the assumption I'm going to operate under.

Story goes Boss and his friends encounter a prophet who predicts the end fo the world. They pass this along to Kouji and friends who are in turn relaxing after final victory over Dr. Hell and they don't really believe Boss. Cue the Mycene Empire arriving to simultaneously lay waste to multiple cities simultaneously around the globe. Duke Gorgon's task is to take on Tokyo and when Mazinger arrives, he's basically helpless as Tokyo is left in ruin while he's fighting the Mycene Empire's Warrior Beasts. The Photon Power Labs are destroyed directly thereafter and Shiro suffers a grave injury duing this fight that also claimed Sayaka's Diana S robot. The Mycene Empire presses their advantage and launches an attack against Mazinger Z in an effort to destroy the one obstacle in their way. Kouji's weak from giving blood to save Shiro's life but heads out to meet them in a damaged Mazinger Z anyway, fully expecting to die as he's hopelessly outmatched.

He's promptly worked over good and then I was treated to one of the coolest things I've ever seen in anime.
The prophet decides he can't simply stand by and watch Mazinger Z be destroyed. He pulls off his mask to reveal he's Kenzo Kabuto, Kouji's missing father, in disguise. He calls out to a nearby volcano that's erupting and out shoots the Brain Condor while familiar theme music kicks up. From the depths of the very ocean itself rises Great Mazinger to combine with it and off they go to trash the Mycene Empire monsters attacking Kouji. So fucking satisfying.

This movie was damn cool, surprisingly grim, and the sorrow and fear Kouji carried towards the end was great.

Mazinkaiser: Deathmatch! General Dark

lbTui.gif

This is a remake of 1974's Mazinger-Z vs General of Darkness and follows the same sort of structure where the Mycene Empire and starts attacking Earth. The difference here is rather than Kouji being on his own against them, he's caught unawares across the globe as he races home to reunite with Mazinkaiser as the rest of the Mazinger Army fall. He's also really pissed about all of this rather than bearing the melancholy present in the 1974 film. Once they reunite in a very, very awesome manner, shit gets so real.

Any complaint about sterility I may have had in the first Mazinkaiser OVAs is wiped away here. Holy shit, this is the dark brave take I thought it'd be, it's unafraid in it's execution of events, and most importantly it comes across as its own product rather than just tossing Kouji an upgrade and then back to business as normal as in that first OVA. Very nearly more awesome than I could handle and a very worthy remake of the film it's based on.

I have never understood why nobody in the states has done anything with the Tranzor-Z franchise. Its so goddam hillarious the excuses they come up with.

Narag

I have never understood why nobody in the states has done anything with the Tranzor-Z franchise. Its so goddam hillarious the excuses they come up with.

I'm more irritated that the actual Mazinger Z English dub was never finished. That would have been great.

Narag

Speaking of the Z franchise people remember it for the show - and a spread...in a certain magazine... IO9 showed it some years ago. war does things to a country.

Googled "i09 mazinger magazine spread" out of curiosity. Not even 3 minutes had passed before your reply was the #1 hit on google. :(

Novid

Banned
Googled "i09 mazinger magazine spread" out of curiosity. Not even 3 minutes had passed before your reply was the #1 hit on google. :(

damn google works fast and not to anybodies benfit...look for IO9 Gallery Magazine Photo Spread and oh its NSFW.

trejo

Binbougami ga! 7

Probably the funniest episode yet!

gUkmo.jpg

Fucking LOL

I think the new character they introduced is exactly the shot in the arm this show desperately needed given that the usual interactions between Momiji and Ichiko were getting pretty stale by now.

One thing I've noticed is that while I really enjoy the ED song to the point where I sit through it every time, it's not really something I would ever listen to on its own.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 7

While I'm still enjoying this show overall, I think it's getting to the point where I just kinda want Shimao to get over it already. I'm also not a fan of having Hazuki
stuck inside the storybook for such a prolonged period of time
. I guess there's really only so much you can do with a premise like this one, in the end.

MOIQT.jpg

Also, Rokka is so freakin' adorable.

Chocolate 05

There's my weekly yaoi fixing.

So first half was focused on some of the non important? harem members. More focus on the maybe not she's not an ojousama with random pop in of the yaoi option, the loli scientist and the teacher.

The second half was I guess their version of a cultural festival with the doujin selling, cosplays, figures and all other wacky stuff. It was high energy and was pretty enjoyable to watch.

That's not a cliffhanger, show.

Divergence Eve: Misaki Chronicles 6
What the hell happened this episode? It's like the animation budget ran out at times. I swear one girls head was moving less than a frame per second. But what was animated was done nicely. Well, anything that's not CG.
Looks like it's about to get really crazy from here on out.

Binbougami ga! 7

Probably the funniest episode yet!

I think the new character they introduced is exactly the shot in the arm this show desperately needed given that the usual interactions between Momiji and Ichiko were getting pretty stale by now.

I was actually talking about this with Articalys earlier today and how the intro episodes with Momiji and Ichiko essentially being a Tom and Jerry pair are pretty non-indicative of the series and its quality. I was really looking forward to Ranmaru's introduction for that reason since she adds a whole new dynamic to the series which only grows as more characters are introduced.

In fact, I would say anyone that has dropped/put this on hold should at least watch this episode. Jexhius (and I think Dresden), that means you.

Defuser

Accel World ep 19
Hot super robot sakuga action! AWWWW YEAHHH!!! These red burst linkers sure know how to liven up the party. First Niko, now Crikin.

Narag

I was actually talking about this with Articalys earlier today and how the intro episodes with Momiji and Ichiko essentially being a Tom and Jerry pair are pretty non-indicative of the series and its quality. I was really looking forward to Ranmaru's introduction for that reason since she adds a whole new dynamic to the series which only grows as more characters are introduced.

The show has a nice cast. There's a bit of drudgery at introducing so many in 13 episodes but hey, it looks like it'll finish strong.

The show has a nice cast. There's a bit of drudgery at introducing so many in 13 episodes but hey, it looks like it'll finish strong.

It's a crime that this is only 13 episodes. Hopefully we can get a season 2. This will probably only cover 4 volumes, leaving 9 more to be animated.

Chocolate 06

pvfKS.gif

Looking at real-time election updates have never been so exciting.

At least protag managed to get through that confession and lost script pretty easily.

Branduil

I still love The Last Unicorn, though, as far as strange animated movies from my childhood go. I do have a heart, buried in a locked box in a basement somewhere right next to antique nudes worth millions of dollars.

Well, The Last Unicorn was animated by Topcraft, which eventually turned into Studio Ghibli. And Christopher Lee's performance is truly great, especially the scene where King Haggard reveals his motives.

Any Mami cosplay? Because, if not, I'll feel cheated and I'm not even watching this show.

Based off who actually went on stage during the show, good chances it would have been the male protag that would have dressed up as Mami and fed yaoi sticks by the yaoi option dressed as Homerun-chan as fangirls took picture.

Yes, that whole sentence mostly happened in the show.

Battle Girls: Time Paradox 4-END
Well that was.......
I actually kind of enjoyed it but it needed way more time and character development.
Entire series felt rushed.

Sad about no second season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom