• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka is like a hot chick with a vapid personality
nice to look at but not intellectually stimulating
But it had that one arc. And it seemed so promising on being capable of having content that was actually meaningful. It just wound up slipping back into its old ways though, it sounds like.

So many conflicting messages about Brotherhood. :x The original series needs a Blu-ray release.

Edit: Then again, Bones' track record with upscales is pretty bad.

dimb

So many conflicting messages about Brotherhood. :x The original series needs a Blu-ray release.
Why? You know it's streaming on Netflix at the very least.

I found Brotherhood's ending to be conceptually interesting, but protracted and otherwise a mess as it wasn't particularly well written or filled with any particularly menacing opposition. The original is much better about that stuff even if I'm not a fan of where it goes.

Dresden

The gate leads to the REAL WORLD
was dumb and only got dumber in the movie.

Never bothered me much--it's about as ridiculous as the concept of a world where alchemy as magic exists, anyways. At least, before the movie.

Besides it could've been worse with aikawa.

Gintama 81

kPKrk.jpg

Aw, what a nice ending to this arc. Really nice final fight, about time for Shinpachi to show his stuff.

And throw away any tender feelings you have left now.

But still a nice end to the arc. While silly, this was a good conclusion than having a sappy one.

And, with the end of arcs, they usually do a really nice ED extended version so that was awesome.

dimb

But it was produced after Brotherhood. :( /OCD
When The Hobbit comes out later this year are you expecting it to chronologically come before The Lord of the Rings?

You would probably get more out of watching some of Brotherhood than Milos anyways.

Jarmel

Banned
The only thing I was thinking of during the ending of FMA Brotherhood was "Can this be over already?" That last arc was dragged out way too long.

That last arc is by far the best thing in the franchise as a whole. By far. I can't imagine anyone who even remotely likes the franchise to say otherwise.
Bradley wrecking everybody, Mustang letting loose and showing why he's so damn deadly, the Armstrong family going toe to toe with sloth, Ed outsmarting Truth, and Al sacrificing himself.
That is far and away the epitome of the franchise on every single level; emotionally, intellectually, scale, threat, and fight sequences.

ogFMA's ending was great, and better, than what we got in the manga/brohood.

Yea I can't believe anyone would seriously say that.

Jex

[Eureka Seven AO CG/Background Art]

In my earlier post I did, briefly, touch upon my annoyance with CG stuff appearing in small pieces all over the episode. Most of it was not in a quantity that bothered me but it still looked bad. The worst feature of all these CG objects is they all have some generic lighting set-up where part of them is illuminated by some light, even if that doesn't match the rest of the background art. Here's some of the CG found in episode 17:

E7AO17CG1.jpg

E7AO17CG2.jpg

E7AO17CG3.jpg

E7AO17CG6.jpg

E7AO17CG7.jpg

I thought BONES were trying to keep mechanical animation a live by drawing mechanical stuff? Or can truly no one draw a car anymore?

Branduil

Never bothered me much--it's about as ridiculous as the concept of a world where alchemy as magic exists, anyways. At least, before the movie.

Besides it could've been worse with aikawa.

Alchemy is the premise of the show, though. It's one thing when you establish a magical plot device from the start, it's another to pull it out of your alchemy hole.

That last arc is by far the best thing in the franchise as a whole. By far. I can't imagine anyone who even remotely likes the franchise to say otherwise.
Bradley wrecking everybody, Mustang letting loose and showing why he's so damn deadly, the Armstrong family going toe to toe with sloth, Ed outsmarting Truth, and Al sacrificing himself.
That is far and away the epitome of the franchise on every single level; emotionally, intellectually, scale, threat, and fight sequences.

Yea I can't believe anyone would seriously say that.

Believe it. There were way too many episodes covering
a single day in Central
, with way too many people standing around watching other people fight. It tried to escalate the scale of the encounters like a typical shounen, but in doing so became too remote from the reason I enjoy FMA so much - the characters. To Brotherhood's credit, its final episode did wrap everything up in a tidy manner, unlike the original, but by the time I got there I didn't really care much.

Branduil

Conceptually the end of Gurren Lagann is pretty fucking great I think. It would be even better if I felt even a single shit for the Nia character though.

Probably why I feel like I should rewatch it. Been enough time that I can go in fresh again.

Nia is a Mary Sue.

Jarmel

Banned
Believe it. There were way too many episodes covering
a single day in Central
, with way too many people standing around watching other people fight. It tried to escalate the scale of the encounters like a typical shounen, but in doing so became too remote from the reason I enjoy FMA so much - the characters. To Brotherhood's credit, its final episode did wrap everything up in a tidy manner, unlike the original, but by the time I got there I didn't really care much.

That's because it was a military coup. Those soldiers were watching people who outranked them duel it out. Even then they did participate in certain battles.

The final arc was all about the characters and their development. Did you just enjoy watching the characters goof off?

Branduil

Let's add more fuel to the Shaft-changes-things-for-the-sake-of-changing debate!

From screenshots in the promotion material for the upcoming movies, fans have already discovered a bunch of scenes they're changing from the BD releases:

Lol Shaft lol. :(

Slowroll.

Branduil

Not to brush aside entirely valid criticism, but player housing tends to be lifeless and cookie-cutter.

And if I wanted to be super pretentious, I could argue that the contrast between the characters and the background art was done intentionally to reflect the character's conversation about how SAO isn't real -- much like how the cooking is done in a blatantly videogamey fashion. But I am not yet tired enough to go down that rabbit hole.

Being a virtual world isn't an excuse. If you want to communicate artificiality and repetitive design, there are still ways to do that without drawing a boring kitchen.

Jex

[Eureka Seven AO]: I Still Have More to Whine About

Background art is a very important part of the art of a show. It creates the world that the show exists in and that the characters live in - it has to do this job purely through the strength of the visuals alone (usually). It makes up a good deal of the mise-en-scene in any given frame and, you'd think that a good deal of attention would be paid to it.

Alas, as we've seen time and time again there are many studios who just don't seem to grasp this incredibly basic concept and fundamental concept. SHAFT are some of the worst offenders in this area not simply because their background art is bad (read: ugly) but because they clearly don't understand it's purpose, as repeatedly demonstrated by the fact that they keep swapping it around when they re-release stuff. A classic example of this is Mami's room: in the original series it's sparseness seemed to represent something about the character who lived there, as your own room may contain hints about the kind of person you are. However, for the BD release they changed this entirely. I get the feeling that they treat their shows as plays, with characters reciting their lines against some backdrop that doesn't really matter.

On the flipside we've got studios, and creators, that do care about background art such as Production I.G., Ufotable, KyoAni. Brain's Base, and others, have recently been working with Studio Pablo to great effect. Then you've got stuff like this:

E7AO17CG4.jpg

Not very inspiring, is it? What does that stop sign say about the people who live in that apartment? What's with the random bench? Why does everything look super clean and shiny? It just feels like some generic pieces were slapped in so that it wouldn't be a completely white room.

E7AO17CG5.jpg

There's no need to complain about the identical housing because that happens in many building developments, but the complete lack of cars and people makes this shot look extremely weird. The road and the houses and the pavement are all extremely clean and featureless, like some blank texture. None of it looks lived in or real because it lacks features such as cracks, dirt, debris, rubbish, wear & tear etc.

That's because it was a military coup. Those soldiers were watching people who outranked them duel it out. Even then they did participate in certain battles.

The final arc was all about the characters and their development. Did you just enjoy watching the characters goof off?

Well, yes, but that's beside the point. For me, FMA is about the journey of Ed and Al to find redemption, and the way Brotherhood attempted to resolve that journey felt half-hearted and overshadowed by the whole
"I'm going to become a god!"
plot. The stakes of the original finale felt very personal for the brothers; in this one it was more
"We've got to save the country, and I guess we'll go grab our bodies afterwards."
It wasn't the direction I was hoping for.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Brotherhood is bad and I'm certainly glad I watched it, but I did find it to be inferior to the original in several respects, including this one. Perhaps the manga executes this ending better.

Narag

i'm guessing Jexhius kinda didn't like epsode 17 of Eureka 7 AO

just a hunch

Actually "

[Eureka Seven AO] - 17

After watching the latest episode of Eureka Seven Ao I felt like I had just been trolled. Now, this isn't an unusual reaction to watching an episode of Eureka Seven Ao because there's usually two or three LOST-style twists that have my eyes rolling skyward. However, this time around I felt like I'd been manipulated because of how good the episode was. It honestly felt like it dropped out of some other, better show. It might be favourite episode yet.

Branduil

The only thing you need to know about Conqueror of Shamballa is that they revealed that the real-world double of
King Bradley
is Fritz Lang. I'm not even kidding.

Phi Brain s2 21

So that's
3 of the Phi Brain children out of the way now
. The puzzle itself was cool as was the conclusion, but this kind of feels underwhelming in the way it's structured to me. I guess I just thought it would be in quick succession during the endgame rather than days apart in the 11th hour.

At least we still got Melancholy left, who has the potential to be an absolute psycho. I'm also thinking she's Klondike's daughter or something.

Branduil

Hyouka - Episode 19

I don't think I can objectively tell whether an episode of Hyouka is good or bad anymore. This episode was certainly a complete waste of time in terms of actually having a plot or any actual narrative or character development. There was also no "mystery" to speak of aside from bored Oreki being bored. And bored Chitanda being even more bored. In fact, it isn't very different from episode 6 in terms of how vapid the purpose of the scenario is. But somehow, I think I might have enjoyed it. I don't know. I have a funny feeling inside me right now. :(

I don't think this is true.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama 81

Aw, what a nice ending to this arc. Really nice final fight, about time for Shinpachi to show his stuff.

And throw away any tender feelings you have left now.

But still a nice end to the arc. While silly, this was a good conclusion than having a sappy one.

And, with the end of arcs, they usually do a really nice ED extended version so that was awesome.

I will say, this arc makes up for all the future episodes where they play with gender for the sake of jokes.
Although, I suppose the transexual hostesses kind of make up for it too.

(Funny how Gintama is actually kind of progressive in that way anyhow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom