• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
On e7: Most of the things you are mentioning arent even about the ending, but rather describing a set of events that ought to have, which were done well, led up to some satisfying ending themself. Just finishing the anime yesterday, these things that built up for the ending were just largely forgotten and washed aside as we got an ending to the anime that was just unsatisfying and really left just about every character you mentioned with no conclusive resolution. It seems you are really just writing more about how to develop character well.
Well not really. In that show, most of that stuff was pretty much all tied up and done with by episode 49. Episode 50 was more about a send off to the series feel, and core theme. Knowing what so and so ends up doing after the ending isn't as important as the fact that the entire climax is a love-in set to 10+ minutes of blissful electro-pop climaxing in bright colors everywhere. In the end, its a show made by clubbers at heart, they stuck to their guns.

There are very few endings I find more satisfying than that one, but obviously YMMV.

wonzo

Banned
Oda Nobuna 8
nobuna8.jpg
nobuna8a.jpg

who knew fried foods with mayonnaise could be so lewd

I wish Chitose Get You was longer so I could stop watching it. It's so short though, it's hard not to watch it, in spite of it's lack of any redeeming features. :( At least Poyopoyo and Yurumates are still awesome though.
Yep, ~3 minute shorts are my Achilles Heel when it comes to watching stuff with little to no redeemable value. :(

Hyouka 19
tumblr_m9e1ug1UUK1qct8j3o1_500.gif

Ultimately, I guess I watched a different ep 19 than Dakku and Arti...as it was just rather boring and the least good of the 19 episodes thus far. It was basically, at all points, litrally like an Oreki x Eru fanfiction being animated, all it needed was more fluff and such
that near kiss scene and the blush even and awkward moment

Didnt like it much and I guess neither did Houtarou as he was definitely not giving it all, and no Satoshi was disappointing. Hope 20 and 21 are better as this anime was way at the top for this year but is starting to falter.

Oda NObuna 8
Good episode where every clan is preparing his deck for the next battles ( including trap cards ).

SO far so good .

Well this was a lot longer of a post than I expected. I’ll just sum it up briefly and say that endings are very hard to do and the ones that actually try don’t always succeed. It’s always a crapshoot when it comes to anime and something I don’t look forward to in any anime, as chances are the ending is going to suck.
I remember being satisfied with chrono crusade ending , mainly because the characters reached the end of their journey .. Sure the main bad guy is still at large but this doesn't matter when you end an anime like that.

Nina at the end of guran laggaan was indeed a stupid decision ..I expected a movie or an oav for simon to DO THE IMPOSSIBLE yet nothing happenned.. but i'm not surprised while the last episode was heavy on action..it fall into the gainax ending syndrome. i can't recall a gainax show where i enjoyed the ending . i seriously think something is wrong within that company

Dead

well not really...yet
Conceptually the end of Gurren Lagann is pretty fucking great I think. It would be even better if I felt even a single shit for the Nia character though.

Probably why I feel like I should rewatch it. Been enough time that I can go in fresh again.

Jarmel

Banned
I remember being satisfied with chrono crusade ending , mainly because the characters reached the end of their journey .. Sure the main bad guy is still at large but this doesn't matter when you end an anime like that.

Nina at the end of guran laggaan was indeed a stupid decision ..I expected a movie or an oav for simon to DO THE IMPOSSIBLE yet nothing happenned.. but i'm not surprised while the last episode was heavy on action..it fall into the gainax ending syndrome. i can't recall a gainax show where i enjoyed the ending . i seriously think something is wrong within that company

The problem with the CC ending is
that bit with the pope. It serves to undermine the accomplishments of the protagonists and also doesn't resolve the conflict. Sometimes an ending can make the whole show/book/whatever feel like a prologue because the conflict isn't over and in fact might get worse.
The part with Rosetta and Chrono was fine and in fact a good thing, it's the quick snippet afterwards that then proceeds to dump on the show.

Conceptually the end of Gurren Lagann is pretty fucking great I think. It would be even better if I felt even a single shit for the Nia character though.

Probably why I feel like I should rewatch it. Been enough time that I can go in fresh again.

TTGL really is a masterpiece for the most part. The idea of escalation is executed beautifully.

Instro

AO 17

I'm pretty happy with how this episode turned out. There was some pretty interesting animation during the action sequences, although they did sneak in some off model character art as usual, but I really enjoyed the fact that they finally stepped back a little bit and laid out a number of things in the story in a relatively straightforward manner that answered a good deal of the questions that had been raised over the last few episodes or so.
Between getting info on what happened to Eureka, what the Quartz Gun did, and a little more insight into the world itself as well as what Renton might be up to,
I feel like quite a bit of material was covered and they have given the viewers a much more defined picture of where the story is and where it is headed.

I saw duckroll mention in the Eureka thread that the show would be short two episodes if it continues at its current pace, due to Zetsuen taking over the time slot, so it'll be cool if we get some double features in the coming weeks.

Hyouka 19

Really great episode, due mostly to it being filled with an exceptional amount of excellent character and relationship development.

Despite the more subdued mysteries and the slower nature of these last two episodes, they manage to be thoroughly interesting and enjoyable due to the heightened focus on specific characters and their interactions with one another. The subtle nuances of continual character growth, particularly in regards to Houtarou, is fascinating to watch unfold, as he's noticeably becoming more energetic and willing to participate. The steady development of the relationship between Oreki and Chitanda is fantastic as well, as they have an amazing amount of chemistry together. The visual mastery on display here perfectly embellishes their interactions with one another, capturing a variety of quick emotions very well, particularly through specific eye movements and subtle facial expressions.

The music wonderfully sets the tone in a plethora of scenes, effectively illuminating and energizing minor interactions and detailed explanations. The strong writing consistently elevates these simple mysteries into rather compelling material, due mostly to the impressively meticulous manner in which the deductions are eventually revealed. I felt the pacing flowed quite nicely throughout, never slowing too much or becoming monotonous.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode, since the preview hints at even more Oreki x Chitanda romance. It's really unfortunate that only two episodes remain, as this has become one of my favorite shows of the year. Hopefully the last two episodes impress just as well as the majority of the rest have.

Also,
is brilliant.

Jinrui 9

Terrific episode; definitely the best one since the first two. The abundance of fairy antics was especially great. This was certainly a welcome return to the high quality of the first arc's cynical humor and social commentary.

Bleach 268

Forgot that I watched this last night. Blah, blah, sword clashing, girls picking on Orihime cause she's so pretty and so popular with the boys. Or something.

Pokemon B/W Rival Destinies 28

Look at that ride.

Competent Team Rocket is pretty boring Team Rocket. Doesn't help if they make wisecracks while trying to be evil. Oh and the whole time traveling plot gets resolved. Good riddance, Twist Mountain!

duckroll

Let's add more fuel to the Shaft-changes-things-for-the-sake-of-changing debate!

From screenshots in the promotion material for the upcoming movies, fans have already discovered a bunch of scenes they're changing from the BD releases:

Lol Shaft lol. :(

Jarmel

Banned
Let's add more fuel to the Shaft-changes-things-for-the-sake-of-changing debate!

From screenshots in the promotion material for the upcoming movies, fans have already discovered a bunch of scenes they're changing from the BD releases:

Actually looks like there is a color filter.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Wait, the BD isn't the "after" picture here? The grainy pictures look bad, the BD looks good.

Space Brothers 17:
Man, Mutta is just so awesome. I love how he can go from one extreme to another in the same episode.
The way he managed to deduce what was up with the green cards was great. That whole scene with him flashing back was excellent, and then we had that one wonderful scene with him shaking Fukuda's hands where the music was just perfect. But then we end with him having a hilarious misunderstanding where he thinks Serika has a green card. I couldn't stop cracking up at that. I loved how they underscored Mutta's hilarious reaction with the scene of Hoshika and Nasuda seeing his heart rate.

This current arc also continues to really mount up the tension amongst the cast. The JAXA folks are doing a great job of putting the applicants through some really great and psychological tests. I look forward to seeing what they go through next.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hyouka 19:

Pretty amazing how engaging this episode is, despite taking place
in just the one room.
The power of great direction and pacing, ladies and gents. Also, some really nice character interaction between Oreki and Chitanda, some nice character development to compliment last week's episode. So good. ^_^

For some reason, the movie version of Kyouko's alley feels more familiar than the BD version.

Jexhius said:
Speaking of people who aren't impressed with Stanley, I like the expressions here as well, even if it's all in their eyes. I also hadn't noticed how bland and flat all the background art inside the main base is until I started examining this episode closely.
I think I've seen those backgrounds in Muv-Luv.

wonzo

Banned
Smile PreCure! 28

smileprecure28.jpg

Man, this episode was low budget as fuck. Still didn't really stop me from enjoying this weeks episode, especially Yayoi being absolutely delighted by all the scary things.

Hyouka 19

So much amazing chitanda faces. Do people flip out about fake bills that much? I had a fake $10 before and i got bummed, but i just gave the cashier another $10 and framed the fake for some reason lol.

wonzo

Banned
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 8

Ugly CG and terrible action be damned, the show is at its best when it's doing the political/mecha stuff. Next ep preview shows some promise too.
but the 2d scenes are not better

what a terrible looking show.
Umm, is DEEN producing this or is there some other kind of notably terrible studio I'm not aware of that's behind this monstrosity?

lmao

Cwarrior

long post

Not to be a prick I read your long posts I felt your post had little do with endings but mostly discussed character growth like changes in characters in the later parts of the anime, outside of few exceptions(fmas &deathnote) you barely mentioned story.

I can tell your a lot more interested in character developments then story quality & consistency in the narrative from the examples of animes you picked and what you choice to talk about

/Psychoanalysis smuggery

Tari Tari 09

TSZxM.gif

We keep the Earth turning!

Yay, Wien focused episode. Since it was focused on a good character, this was really enjoyable. While there is something going on behind the scenes where the GLEE club will somehow resolved, forget about that now.

Gotta say, I did enjoy how quick Wien's drama was resolved for this episode. Sure, it could easily get worst if he finds out the kid died or something, but overcoming the thought of that and going all superhero was great as well.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 19
il49saczovygP.jpg
ibqD6eZrjyvul8.jpg

OH MY GOD JUST KISS AND HOLD HANDS ALREADY

Chitanda was quite expressive this episode. Although I wasn't as engaged as I was in the previous episode, I quite liked the ongoing dialogue between the two. The show definitely does benefit from a change of scenery I have to admit. In any case while it wasn't a favorite, the character interaction shines once again. I like Houtarou's character a lot and I like the subtle development that's been growing within through out the entire show. It's good to see him slowly coming to terms with his "skill". Chitanda, while not the most complex character, proves to be a very nice catalyst for him to break out of his shell. Their chemistry together works very well and their relationship has grown into something that feels both realistic and interesting.

I feel like one's enjoyment of this and the previous episode may depend a lot on how much investment is in these characters and their developments.

These past few episodes and the next one seem very Chitanda X Houtarou-centric and with all the little subtle things happening I'm curious to see if KyoAni will actually let something manifest between them or not. I know all the shippers are going crazy after this episode at least.

Jarmel

Banned
Not to be a prick I read your long posts I felt your post had little do with endings but mostly discussed character growth like changes in characters in the later parts of the anime, outside of few exceptions(fmas &deathnote) you barely mentioned story.

I can tell your a lot more interested in character developments then story quality & consistency in the narrative from the examples of animes you picked and what you choice to talk about

/Psychoanalysis smuggery

Um, I did talk about story extensively. The whole point of the escalation paragraph is pretty much dedicated to that. I also talked about BONES-type narration issues where you introduce a completely new concept at the last possible minute.

As for consistency, that ties into the thematic component.

As for the complaint about my focus on character development, can you cite a couple of what you would define as well-written endings that don't have some sort of focus on the development of the characters? Every one that sticks in my mind does exhibit how the characters have changed.

Narag

Goku: Midnight Eye II

More of the same from the first although Goku is accustomed to his eye now and there's like twice the craziness. Sexy mechanical animation and backgrounds in this too at least. Goku pimpin' his ride wasn't bad either.

Still feels like a step down from the first though as the crazy there had purpose. That said, it's a shame we didn't get more of this. The detective thing lends itself well to episodic content.

kpMys.png

What a boss.

lTm8Rl.png
rCWOU.png
gQIZH.png

So much weird shit going on.

duckroll

Hyouka - Episode 19

I don't think I can objectively tell whether an episode of Hyouka is good or bad anymore. This episode was certainly a complete waste of time in terms of actually having a plot or any actual narrative or character development. There was also no "mystery" to speak of aside from bored Oreki being bored. And bored Chitanda being even more bored. In fact, it isn't very different from episode 6 in terms of how vapid the purpose of the scenario is. But somehow, I think I might have enjoyed it. I don't know. I have a funny feeling inside me right now. :(

Branduil

Saimoe Round 1, Group C, Day 2 Results:

C04
1st 260 Maon Sakurada @ Tamayura
2nd 195 Maria @ Hayate The Combat Butler
3rd 76 Laura Bodewig @ Infinite Stratos

C08
1st 197 Sherlock Shellingford @ Detective Opera Milky Holmes
2nd 190 Asuha Tohara @ Astarotte's Toy!
3rd 148 Mayuri Shiina @ Steins;Gate

C12
1st 303 Yayoi Kise @ Smile Pretty Cure!
2nd 115 Ai Haibara @ Detective Conan
3rd 96 Gruier Serenity @ Bodacious Space Pirates

-----------------------------------------------

Hayate's popularity must really be fading for Maria to lose to a Tamayura character.

jman2050

Hyouka - Episode 19

I don't think I can objectively tell whether an episode of Hyouka is good or bad anymore. This episode was certainly a complete waste of time in terms of actually having a plot or any actual narrative or character development. There was also no "mystery" to speak of aside from bored Oreki being bored. And bored Chitanda being even more bored. In fact, it isn't very different from episode 6 in terms of how vapid the purpose of the scenario is. But somehow, I think I might have enjoyed it. I don't know. I have a funny feeling inside me right now. :(

This is what stuff like K-On does to people.

Branduil

Look at that ugly, shiny, cheap looking background art. That's the kind of bad background art that plagues far too many shows today.

Not only is it mediocre, it's entirely perfunctory; the background is just there because they feel like they have to do it. A good piece of background art tells its own story, and has a distinct style. It's certainly possible to do that with digital art- just look at any Makoto Shinkai film- but in the hands of bad artists you just get an utterly lifeless cookie-cutter backdrop.

Uchip

Banned
Hyouka - Episode 19

Hyouka is like a hot chick with a vapid personality
nice to look at but not intellectually stimulating

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Near the end we have the country in play and everybody’s lives at stake. They are trying to stop a person who became a god. Adding into this we then have all the protagonists, in this ensemble cast, coming together to stop Father. The scene when everybody is firing on Father and going all out is memorable because we’ve seen how they’ve gotten to this point and the sacrifices everybody has made. It’s a great climax point that has been building throughout the work. This works both on an intellectual and emotional component. How Arakawa even tied into the conclusion of Truth was another masterstroke in the ending. [/spoiler]

The fact that the ending of Brotherhood is so god damned good is the primary reason why I don't want to watch the original FMA.

Everything comes together so damn great and it's so tight that in one episode, I would cry my eyes out (
FUUUUUUUUU
) and in another I would cheer (There are so many fucking BIG DAMN HEROES moments that it's not worth counting). You have a cast of characters finally coming together and meeting up with each other to save the world and I just fucking loved every moment of it.

What happens to Mustang and Ed are just icing in the cake, because it fits perfectly with what the show asks of its characters internally and is trying to tell the audience externally. Beyond being exciting on a purely emotional level, the ending is actually also intellectually satisfying.

And just because I like comparing things, the ending of FMA:B should have been what the Four Divas arc was like in Gintama. Everyone should have come together and stood up for the gang, paying off hundreds of episodes of Odd Jobs episodes where they help someone out A-Team style. I still feel like that was a big wasted opportunity and I hope that whatever end game Gintama has, it can at least approach the excellence of the FMA:B ending.

Not only is it mediocre, it's entirely perfunctory; the background is just there because they feel like they have to do it. A good piece of background art tells its own story, and has a distinct style. It's certainly possible to do that with digital art- just look at any Makoto Shinkai film- but in the hands of bad artists you just get an utterly lifeless cookie-cutter backdrop.
Not to brush aside entirely valid criticism, but player housing tends to be lifeless and cookie-cutter.

And if I wanted to be super pretentious, I could argue that the contrast between the characters and the background art was done intentionally to reflect the character's conversation about how SAO isn't real -- much like how the cooking is done in a blatantly videogamey fashion. But I am not yet tired enough to go down that rabbit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom