• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 10

748kR.jpg
UZSRB.jpg

This episode was emotionally beautiful and a slight improvement over the last few, but the flaws still exist, while some are even illuminated further due to the knowledge that only one episode remains and the growing possibility that the Hazuki and Rokka relationship will have neither a satisfying or convincing conclusion. Despite that, the ending of this episode, particularly the last line by Rokka, was amazing.

The opening scenes in which Hazuki fears he might be lost to that world forever were some of the best storybook moments, since the emotional weight concerning Hazuki's situation was no longer relegated to seeming insignificance. The music accompanied these early moments wonderfully. The temporary concern that Hazuki would remain as a ghost certainly disappears by the end of the episode, and thankfully, Rokka doesn't seem at all satisfied with leaving Hazuki to that fate. Shimao's first conversation with ghost-Hazuki was ridiculously cruel and selfish, displaying yet again why I can't seem to like Shimao that much at all. It was a pretty satisfying moment then when Hazuki persuaded him into finally understanding the situation, and the realistic notion that he needs to let Rokka go, once and for all, since his childishly selfish refusal to understand and come to terms with these indisputable facts had become exceedingly tiring.

Several significant flaws within the story remain though, unfortunately. The most obvious of which is the inability to see the gradual development of a relationship that I initially thought was the primary focus, due to
the continued separation of Hazuki's spirit from his own body
. It's a shame that all that potential excellence will be relegated to the very last episode, thus leaving far too much room for an unsatisfying conclusion. The main problems I've had with the latter half of the series are the unnecessarily dragging nature and the distinct clumsiness with which the story has handled Hazuki's development. Rather than isolating him for a sizable portion of the story, I feel as though it would have benefited greatly had it coincided with Rokka and Shimao's painful struggles in a more balanced manner. I would have certainly preferred his relationship with Rokka to receive far more real-world development prior to the last episode's arrival, and the majority of said development being left until the very end seems to me a distinctly flawed and short-sighted approach.

It's pretty understandable as to why there has been an increased focus on Shimao and his part of the story, but it doesn't really feel as emotionally powerful as one might think, due largely to his unsympathetic nature and his temporarily vague and wavering sense of purpose and resolve. The selfishness which has driven many of his unfortunate actions has really detached his character from deriving any considerable amount of sympathy from me.

The direction continues to be one of the most exceptional, and certainly the most consistent, elements of the show. The manner in which it constantly carries the subtle nuances of a wide array of emotions without completely falling apart is quite impressive. The usually slow pacing within each episode has been, for the most part, understandable and rather necessary in order to properly convey all the specific, subtle emotions in a manner that will strongly resonate and satisfy. However, looking at the broader picture, the pacing as a whole has been quite mediocre and long-winded in reaching certain moments.

Even though Natsuyuki Rendezvous deftly does a lot of things incredibly well, the story has noticeably struggled to get to this point, thus resulting in an odd dichotomy between it's many positive qualities and it's few, yet significant, negative ones. The dragging nature of the events that have filled the latter half of the story has disappointingly diminished it's once extremely high quality into something a bit less. Despite my numerous, repetitive complaints however, it is still one of the better shows of the season. I'm very cautiously awaiting the last episode though, because, at this point, it could bring thoroughly fantastic and satisfying closure, but it might just as well suffer due to the potential for a plethora of developments to receive rushed and unsatisfying resolutions.

jman2050

My only experience with Sakura Wars is an awesome LP on SA that's ostensibly about playing through all five games of the series.

Except that he started it in mid-2007 and is still only approaching the end to the first game.

I look forward to seeing what SW3 is like in 2021!

wonzo

Banned
Chitose Get You! 10 (THE REAL ONE)

chitose10a.jpg

So it turns out Crunchyroll actually streamed ep 11 instead of this. Surprisingly, this episode was actually kinda entertaining... but, we must not forget this one simple fact:

chitose.jpg

Never forget.

Narag

Gintama 14

I think one reason this doesn't feel like such a daunting prospect so far is the strength of the cast. Gin, Shinpachi, and Kagura are great but I'm no less excited when the Shinsengumi are doing their thing. That loyalty displayed towards Kondo is pretty infectious too.

Ouran High School Host Club 18

Apparently Bones retroactively got my memo, because they've added clouds in the sky at the Academy. Yay!

In other news, I'm surprised Honey has any teeth left at all.

I find anime merchandise to never be worth what they charge for it. That's just for me though, YMMV of course.

My Nendoroid was worth every penny I spent.
I got it as a gift.
But really, I think they are rather pricey, but I like to have a few figures of things that I like.

cajunator

Banned
My Nendoroid was worth every penny I spent.
I got it as a gift.
But really, I think they are rather pricey, but I like to have a few figures of things that I like.

I agree.
If you enjoy something a lot, then it wasn't a waste of money.
Besides, nendoroids are cheap.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-On Movie

omg it was awesome!
Indeed!

We can just pretend Reika has a thin layer of ice covering her shoes and it makes it look like they're made entirely of ice.
Well, we all know its an excuse to make Beauty Ice Skates to sell to girls either way. lol
Yeah, I think that might be true for Candy, like in the summer festival episode a couple of weeks ago. I guess they figure kids won't care too much.

Hmm, I went back and skimmed episode one and Miyuki/Cure Happy just mentions about being tired and Candy says Happy Shower uses up a lot of power. In skimming through episode two Miyuki misses the Akanbe and Candy says to use her powers again. They don't work to which Candy is surprised and said something like "You can only use your powers once per transformation?!" and Miyuki responds something like "I didn't know about that!". There could have been something in the mean time I've forgotten about though as far as powering up though.

After all this time with the girls referring to each other by their first names it was kind of weird hearing Miyuki and Akane address each other as "Hoshizora-san" and "Hino-san".

As far as the movies and the franchise on the whole goes, I'll have to defer to your knowledge as I only watched some of the first Precure and then didn't watch it again until recently with Smile Precure!
Yeah, that limitation Happy has is just so Sunny can come in and save her with her own power. I think the same happens to each of the Precures up until Beauty.

And I've only seen the third movie, since it actually includes characters that I "know" well enough to get anything out of the fanservice. It's going to be weird seeing the Smile Precures being turned into deus ex machina in the next movie though. lol

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 10
Even though Natsuyuki Rendezvous deftly does a lot of things incredibly well, the story has noticeably struggled to get to this point, thus resulting in an odd dichotomy between it's many positive qualities and it's few, yet significant, negative ones. The dragging nature of the events that have filled the latter half of the story has disappointingly diminished it's once extremely high quality into something a bit less. Despite my numerous, repetitive complaints however, it is still one of the better shows of the season. I'm very cautiously awaiting the last episode though, because, at this point, it could bring thoroughly fantastic and satisfying closure, but it might just as well suffer due to the potential for a plethora of developments to receive rushed and unsatisfying resolutions.
As much as I appreciate the fact that this anime even exists, I think it would have been better served as a movie. Either the adapters are struggling to put a lot of material into an 11 episode series (like Kids on the Slope) or they are being slavish to the material... which probably means that they failed either way and should have thought of another way to adapt the story.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
And I've only seen the third movie, since it actually includes characters that I "know" well enough to get anything out of the fanservice. It's going to be weird seeing the Smile Precures being turned into deus ex machina in the next movie though. lol

I can guarantee that it won't feel nearly as strange as the Suite lamers being the competent veterans who have to bail the newbies out in All-Stars New Stage.

I wonder if there's any chance of a Precure x Sailor Moon crossover movie next year, hahah.

omg. guise. you guise.

I just watched the first episode of Ga-Rei Zero.

This is already the greatest anime ever conceived by man. How have I never heard of this???

Jarmel

Banned
omg. guise. you guise.

This is already the greatest anime ever conceived by man. How have I never heard of this???

I remember people raving about it when it aired and I never really liked it. I thought it was ok and well done but never clicked with me. I think it was the annoying female leads in the show that irked me.

Sket Dance 74
tumblr_m9yajlYvjN1qiob3oo2_500.gif

That was one awesome episode. Both skits had me laugh so much from start to finish, and to top it off so much animation or visual style variety, the actions scenes, and just the emphasis of certain moments, someone was having too much fun.

1st skit was also amazing with the
credits playing part and the whole mansion size aspect
. 2nd skit with Captain and vanishing cap'n'munch was great
and the whole showdown when she gets unleashed

Oddest moment was the awkward bouncing boobs in the first skit, super bouncy and they went in like alternate directions, what even? and they were huge than normal :/

----
MLP: FiM 1

Friend finally got me to watch it, no male ponies, ultimately said to just genderbend them mentally anyway, which works. Anyway Rainbow Dash is truly the best one, so hilarious and funny, Night Mare Moon is so edgy that its ultra cool, both need way more screentime throughout.

omg. guise. you guise.

Ga-Rei Zero gets no loves. Enjoy :D

Narcolepsy-chan is trying so hard. I give her an A for effort.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can guarantee that it won't feel nearly as strange as the Suite lamers being the competent veterans who have to bail the newbies out in All-Stars New Stage.

I wonder if there's any chance of a Precure x Sailor Moon crossover movie next year, hahah.
Hey, I'm sure the Suite girls did just fine!

And you know, if you wanted to get fans of all ages to check out the SM reboot, there's no better way than to just throw in the Precures for no good reason.

Articalys

It's also worth noting that the logo had a significant makeover -- or maybe they just have two logos, one for the normal side and one for the chuunibyou side:

vEDzU.jpg

SoTIa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom