• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoric

Banned
Hyouka 17

Houtarou is a genius.

This episode was a good conclusion to the best Hyouka arc. The only lackluster plotline was Chitanda's because, well, she is a lackluster character. But even Mayaka's was fun - and now I want to read A Corpse by Evening, haha.

My only real doubt is: can 期待 really be translated as "expectation" in this context? It feels like the word means something else by the way they use it.

"Something which one looks forward to"//"the act of looking forward to something" in general. I'm not poluting myself with
non-Nichijou
KyoAni to find context though!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Where are the Hells Angels impressions where are theyyyy.

Also can this be the title of the next anime thread please.

Yeah 08th ms team has some of the best gundam characters.

Amazingly how badass the guys (and girls!) are even with mechas that cant do shit (relatively speaking) compared to the wussies of some certain modern day Gundam shows.

I can't wait till they actually make another Gundam series. It's been a while since 00.

Agree! They need to make a Gundam like 08th MS Team with a mature cast, not be afraid of showing female breasts and led the protagonists have machines that are not overpowered. The only time I liked that was in 00.

From this to Gundam Age lol.

Caesnd

Agree! They need to make a Gundam like 08th MS Team with a mature cast, not be afraid of showing female breasts and led the protagonists have machines that are not overpowered. The only time I liked that was in 00.

From this to Gundam Age lol.

I'm personally looking forward to G-Reko and that Heinlein inspired series Shinkai had in mind.

Edit: Alas, it is true that the anime industry seem to lack animators with a lot of expertise in mechatronic/technical drawing and the budget issue is a major factor as well, so I'm keeping my expectations tempered.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
"Something which one looks forward to"//"the act of looking forward to something" in general. I'm not poluting myself with
non-Nichijou
KyoAni to find context though!

Hm, yeah, then in the context it's
"looking up to someone".
That sounds right.

After "氷菓" I can deal with everything in Hyouka, even it makes no fucking sense.

I guess you're right, haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sengoku Collection 23
Oh my god. This entire episode was pretty much the Romance of the Three Kingdoms meets a pre-school sandbox. This was hands down one of the best episodes of this series I've seen, if not the best.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/sengokuc23d.jpg
Better than the Michael Moore episode?!

Moyashimon Returns 10

What a great episode. The way in which this series has been building up to that moment where
Hasegawa and Ryuuta finally confront each other over this charade
was masterfully built up not only in this episode but the entire series.
I really do hope that Marie joins them on their trip back to Japan as she
would be another great addition to this incredibly colourful cast of characters. Of course, unless someone starts translating the manga again we'd have to wait a couple of years for that anyway. :(
She's already an expy though. I think the world would implode if she went back to Japan with them. lol

duckroll

There's an interesting rumor on 2ch today that someone say Urobuchi credited on a poster for Psycho-Pass, but what's more interesting is that he said the Supervising Director is Katsuyuki Motohiro.

Motohiro is a Japanese TV and film director who works in live action. He works in Robot, a film production company which is also one of the bigger CG production houses in Japan. I think game fans will be familiar with their work on the Onimusha games for example.

Digging up to find if there are connections between Motohiro and the other staff linked to Psycho-Pass so far led me to Shiotani's Google+ profile. He indeed had Motohiro in his small circle of connections, along with Urobuchi. The plot thickens...

Edit: Shiotani is also following Motohiro on Twitter lol.

Yeah 08th ms team has some of the best gundam characters.

Amazingly how badass the guys (and girls!) are even with mechas that cant do shit (relatively speaking) compared to the wussies of some certain modern day Gundam shows.

I can't wait till they actually make another Gundam series. It's been a while since 00.

I could certainly understand someone choosing not to acknowledge AGE's existence :p.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Muramasa

Eight minute 1987 short movie written & directed by Osamu Tezuka, it's about a samurai who finds a sword buried in a straw dummy. He takes the sword, uses it on every straw dummy he comes across, but learns its cursed and that he's begun to see people as straw dummies as well, not realizing who they are until he's cut them down.
The curse eventually overtakes him, he becomes a straw man himself, and the cycle repeats.
It's also an allegory about the dangers of peace maintained through nuclear deterrence so it has that going for it as well.
It was pretty cool. The animation is very limited and the only audio is the music that backs the whole thing but it was an intense experience nonetheless.
I wonder if "straw man" is an idiomatic expression in Japanese or if that's just a coincidence.

When are you making the thread on Sengoku Collection and its commentary on modern society? lol
I've only seen one episode. lol

Ultimadrago

щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ)
There's still not enough whys in the world for this.

Why ∞ Anime

Well the characters on the board are from 2ch, but seeing as it is an image it could be from Futaba.

I was going to make a Mitsudomoe joke, but it'd be too vague.

I've only seen one episode. lol

I was kidding!
Gao! But seriously, don't watch all the rest.

3Kaze

Interesting. There's a Madoka event in France on October 19th, where the two compilation movies will air, a week after the japanese premiere date.

duckroll

Sword Art Online upcoming episode credits:

Ep11 -
Morning Mist Girl
Script: Yukie Sugawara
Episode Director: Pyoungkang Heo
Storyboard: Yoshiyuki Fujiwara
Animation Director: Keisuke Watanabe

Ep12 -
Yui's Heart
Episode Director: Tamaki Nakatsu
Storyboard: Tamaki Nakatsu
Animation Director: Natsuko Kondou, Kento Toya, Tomoya Nishiguchi

Ep13-
The Depths of Hell
Script: Yoshikazu Mukai
Episode Director: Takahiro Shikama
Storyboard: Takahiro Shikama
Animation Director: Yousuke Okuda

Ep14 -
End of the World
Script: Yukito Kizawa
Episode Director: Tomohiko Ito
Storyboard: Tomohiko Ito
Animation Director: Yuu Yonezawa

Ep13 should be just as hype as ep9 was, considering it's the directorial debut for Takahiro Shikama. He's one of the action animation directors on the show, and he storyboarded ep2 as well. It should have lots of great action, just like ep9 did. :D

Dresden

Ep11 -
Morning Mist Girl

Ep12 -
Yui's Heart

Ep13-
The Depths of Hell

Ep14 -
End of the World

Ep13 should be just as hype as ep9 was, considering it's the directorial debut for Takahiro Shikama. He's one of the action animation directors on the show, and he storyboarded ep2 as well. It should have lots of great action, just like ep9 did. :D

Two
episodes devoted to the
loli daughter

I think I'll hop back at 13 so I can get ready for

DiGiKerot

Where are the Hells Angels impressions where are theyyyy.

It's OK. It's interesting, if somewhat scatter-shot, visually. It's a little too much of a sensory overload, though - there's no moderation to it, to the point where it becomes exhausting to watch, and ultimately the somewhat constant barrage becomes strangely tedious and overplayed. At almost two hours in length, it's really far too long for what it's doing, and would likely have faired better having lost 30-50 minutes off it's running time.

It's still worth seeing the once just because it's so strange compared to most of the stuff that gets made these days, and honestly, if you're the kind of person who is actually thinking about watching it, you're also the kind of person who'll get at least something out of the experience.

Mandoric

Banned
Hidamari staff is looking nice. Madoka 10 director/animation director (with Denpa Onna OP animation director too), storyboards by Tatsuwa (most SZS op/eds and most of Zan).

Ep 1 covers
the day before the senior trip
, apparently.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Ep11 -
Morning Mist Girl

Ep12 -
Yui's Heart

Ep13-
The Depths of Hell

Ep14 -
End of the World

Episode 14 is going to blowwwwwwwww

Go_Ly_Dow

Wow this thing look scary.

Wonzo gonna watch this.

Aren't we all?

I marathoned a decent chunck of Hyouka yesterday, and will probably look to put another dent in it shortly. I'm enjoying it, and I assume the generally disliked episodes are the standalone ones? Of what I've watched, I'm guessing that is episodes 6 & 7?

The best is yet to come.

From the New World PV3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg4p78KjWJg

New key visual:

Looks very promising :)

Well it's always a good listen.

On the subject of anime music:

Thanks for reminding me how beautiful Another's ED theme is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNjpqmnSE8I
Anyone else completely forget about this?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
They even gave away a copy of the certificate with the manga:
s06b5.jpg

I want it! So adorable!

Shin Sekai Yori will be such a weird show... I'm hyped:

SPOILERS FOR SEX

Interest falling.

kayos90

I don't get what that diagram is for since I can't read japanese. I thought this was not from an eroge.

kayos90

セックス = sex
恋愛感情 = in love with

It's not an eroge, it's a sci-fi novel.

But they're not going to show the sex scenes in the show right? RIGHT?!

/XX/

Motohiro is a Japanese TV and film director who works in live action. He works in Robot, a film production company which is also one of the bigger CG production houses in Japan. I think game fans will be familiar with their work on the Onimusha games for example.
I'm starting to think you really have succumbed to the influence of the "CGI invasion", duckroll... for this thread you could have mentioned more aptly that they produced something like the Academy Award winner animated short La Maison en Petits Cubes, for example.

At least I would like to remember them for unconventional support on works like that.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I posted mine in the last OT. The movie owns!!!

It's OK. It's interesting, if somewhat scatter-shot, visually. It's a little too much of a sensory overload, though - there's no moderation to it, to the point where it becomes exhausting to watch, and ultimately the somewhat constant barrage becomes strangely tedious and overplayed. At almost two hours in length, it's really far too long for what it's doing, and would likely have faired better having lost 30-50 minutes off it's running time.

It's still worth seeing the once just because it's so strange compared to most of the stuff that gets made these days, and honestly, if you're the kind of person who is actually thinking about watching it, you're also the kind of person who'll get at least something out of the experience.

Will watch (`_´)ゞ

duckroll

I'm starting to think you really have succumbed to the influence of the "CGI invasion", duckroll... for this thread you could have mentioned more aptly that they produced something like the Academy Award winner animated short La Maison en Petits Cubes, for example.

At least I would like to remember them for unconventional support on works like that.

I'm sorry but I think most people will recognize this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tki5y2Llyp8

You just have to accept reality.

7Th

What. The. Fuck. Not watching.

LOL. Jk. I'll read the premise and judge it for myself. anyone have a summary?

Synopsis of the first novel:

About one thousand years into the future, civilization has been retrograded and humans are living dispersed within small communities. People in this era have a psychic power called "Juryoku" which materializes everything they imagine. In the absence of advanced scientific technology, people are using this power as a major source of energy.

After a certain incident, a young girl named Saki comes to realize the true nature of her world, including the bloody history that brought humanity to this state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom