• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
remember that anime about the console war between Sega and Nintendo?

S5YpG.jpg

I think I can recognize a few.
Even here Sonic proves he has the best character design, Gia already a favorite.

Gundam 08th MS Team episode 7

Shit this show is amazing! I love the little details like the sound of engines when they're in the mobile suit cockpits.

Oh btw, in this show stupid idealisms get laughed at. I hate idealism in anime. Cmon now don't turn Shiro in an idealist. :)

/XX/

I'm away for a bit and I see /XX/ is back! Bienvenido de nuevo! (Hopefully I got that right as I don't speak Spanish...)
That is pretty much right, Nafe! Certainly there is what
our nitpickish good friend
Regulus Tera said:

Just needs a "¡" before "Bienvenido", but good effort.

But as even native Spanish speakers are sadly kind of dropping the use of inverted exclamation marks (also in favor of other 'anglicismos y modismos') this is not an important mistake now.

You know, I could have answered with a '¡bienhallado!' but nowadays not many people I know use this expression, and a simple '¡gracias!' is enough, so... '¡muchas gracias!' (that is more than 'gracias' alone!).

Correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't this only happen when there was a problem with the console reading the disc or something like that? If I remember correctly you wouldn't be seeing more than couple of seconds of the loading screen on normal conditions.

Why is the Genesis of Aquarion OP theme so goddamn good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdyQvYSPUqo
I wish we got a REAL English version instead of this musical nonsense (though I did like that to some extent as well).
Then I think you will probably like this version as well, by Rasmus Faber:

Platina Jazz - Happy Material & Genesis of Aquarion, live at jazz club Fasching - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uuf4a8vUNGg#t=118s

Erigu

[Aoi Sekai no Chûshin de]
Gia = Sonic / Game Gear
Opul = Fantasy Zone
Neru = Phantasy Star
Tejilof = Tetris
Ramses = Columns
Marcse = Mario
Greege = Luigi
Zerig = The Legend of Zelda
Carvai = Kirby
Fare = Fire Emblem
Masa = Mother
Saroid = Metroid
Pirika = Pocket Monsters
Fosta = Star Fox

Kazzy

I marathoned a decent chunck of Hyouka yesterday, and will probably look to put another dent in it shortly. I'm enjoying it, and I assume the generally disliked episodes are the standalone ones? Of what I've watched, I'm guessing that is episodes 6 & 7?

wonzo

Banned
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 10

My hatred of Shimao continues to burn even greater for each and every episode this shit drags out for. *flips table*

BluWacky

Starts in 1-2 minutes. They'll be announcing additional cast and showing a new PV too.

Hmmm. The PV they just showed at the start of the stream didn't really seem to have any new footage at all (maybe a bit at the end?). I can't remember the other PVs well enough to say for certain.

Looks like there's a new key visual though on the posters - not as striking as the two previous ones but it looks like it's designed to attract a different audience with its focus on the characters rather than the foreboding atmosphere and the bakenezumi.

I can't watch with sound and I wouldn't really understand enough of it anyway but hopefully the special is interesting.

duckroll

Hmmm. The PV they just showed at the start of the stream didn't really seem to have any new footage at all (maybe a bit at the end?). I can't remember the other PVs well enough to say for certain.

Looks like there's a new key visual though on the posters - not as striking as the two previous ones but it looks like it's designed to attract a different audience with its focus on the characters rather than the foreboding atmosphere and the bakenezumi.

I can't watch with sound and I wouldn't really understand enough of it anyway but hopefully the special is interesting.

The PV at the start is the old PV. They'll probably show the new one at the end.

Gia = Sonic / Game Gear
Opul = Fantasy Zone
Neru = Phantasy Star
Tejilof = Tetris
Ramses = Columns
Marcse = Mario
Greege = Luigi
Carvai = Kirby
Fare = Fire Emblem
Masa = Mother
Saroid = Metroid
Pirika = Pocket Monsters
Fosta = Star Fox
Awesome! Thank you.

I figured that girl was Columns, but I couldn't remember the name. At first I was going to boggle over Tetris having a pole weapon, and then it hit me. Clever bastards.

Mandoric

Banned
Awesome! Thank you.

I figured that girl was Columns, but I couldn't remember the name. At first I was going to boggle over Tetris having a pole weapon, and then it hit me. Clever bastards.

No, no, it gets better.

You seriously think they're not riffing off FFIV, where the guy with the spear is the one who betrays you?

Kazzy

No, no, it gets better.

You seriously think they're not riffing off FFIV, where the guy with the spear is the one who betrays you?

Ah, nice.

If this was/is as overblown as that games story is, with everyone making noble sacrifices at the drop of hat, I'm down.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate 9
tumblr_m9z8r5swiy1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Saveijima-kun was so cool this episode, while Chisato was just aggravating.
Why would anyone be against adding stopping harassment against financial aid students?

I like the new developments and wonder how Oojima can win
With the new antagonist back on the public safety commission and the current president seeming to be at odds with her

cajunator

Banned
I marathoned a decent chunck of Hyouka yesterday, and will probably look to put another dent in it shortly. I'm enjoying it, and I assume the generally disliked episodes are the standalone ones? Of what I've watched, I'm guessing that is episodes 6 & 7?

Episode 6 is pretty much the worst. After that it gets significantly better.

Narag

Muramasa

Eight minute 1987 short movie written & directed by Osamu Tezuka, it's about a samurai who finds a sword buried in a straw dummy. He takes the sword, uses it on every straw dummy he comes across, but learns its cursed and that he's begun to see people as straw dummies as well, not realizing who they are until he's cut them down.
The curse eventually overtakes him, he becomes a straw man himself, and the cycle repeats.
It's also an allegory about the dangers of peace maintained through nuclear deterrence so it has that going for it as well.
It was pretty cool. The animation is very limited and the only audio is the music that backs the whole thing but it was an intense experience nonetheless.

Sengoku Collection 23
tumblr_m9za8gScay1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Definitely one of the more interesting episode even if Misawa had odd character design. Applying war history tactics to conquering the sand box was strange at first but pretty intriguing, especially with the narrator.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh. I was hoping for an anime on billiards :C. Well at least it's something, hope these guys do well on this program.
You could have an anime about billiards if you are willing to write a manga about it, hoping it does well in Japan and thus gets an anime adaption.

I just signed up for the 30 day trial on Crunchyroll on PS3 and started watching Sword Art Online. Enjoying it so far through 3 episodes.

How should I spend my free 30 days (what should I watch)?
See none of these crazy cats mentioned it: Mitsudomoe.

They even gave away a copy of the certificate with the manga:
s06b5.jpg

Season 3 when
They're working on it.

Ruined my day that did. What a way to ruin it. At least I've got my other iDOLM@STER video.

If I may HUELEN for a second:

http://i.imgur.com/iuKkZ.jpg

Some people see colors slightly differently and it's a very subtle purple, granted.
It is only truly Huelen if you zoom in on one pixel and then release a whole pack of screenshoots where you've done the exact same thing. You need to step yo game up.

wonzo

Banned
Moyashimon Returns 10

What a great episode. The way in which this series has been building up to that moment where
Hasegawa and Ryuuta finally confront each other over this charade
was masterfully built up not only in this episode but the entire series.
I really do hope that Marie joins them on their trip back to Japan as she
would be another great addition to this incredibly colourful cast of characters. Of course, unless someone starts translating the manga again we'd have to wait a couple of years for that anyway. :(

S-cry-ed 24-26 (end)
tumblr_m9ymsjLE7o1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Overall a glorious ending and 26 was litrally like a dream come true even
Just basically Ryuho and Kazu-kun fighting and it was great
. I love these type of anime where characters get self enhancing external superpowers and abilities to do cool things, strike cool poses, say cool lines (especially when two characters are saying the same line or completing one another, which they did a lot), and just plain, at the end of the day be super cool. There was never a dull moment, the plot was intense with a nice mix of emotion and drama. Kazuma was great, Tachibana and his balls, Ryuho and Zetsway, and even Kimishima. (sp). Lots of the minor cast were fun and a pleasure to see continually. I wish there were more or something as it was good. Drastic my Soul indeed, 10/10.
Scryed rules ...i enjoyed almost everything in this show mainly the battles and the music.There was also a scene with a dog dying that seemed important but ..

Isn't scryed going for a HD treatment just like gundam seed ? or was i dreaming when i got this news ?
There are people out there who will try and argue that Scryed has a shit ending.

Fucking lunatics
Delusional people they are ..scryed ended on a glorious all out battle between both main characters at full power ..It was perfect

Yeah... no thanks.

Just gimme my Neptunia anime.

WITH THE CONQUEST ENDING.
You can have both .. I'm still wondering why nobody tried to do a neptunia anime yet

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I found one of my old signatures from who knows when.

I dunno why yall get so upset. The MC always gets the one girl, but all the losers become mai waifus.
Everybody is happy!
I thought you were better than that. Stop cheating on everyone.

Where is that from?
Well the characters on the board are from 2ch, but seeing as it is an image it could be from Futaba.

remember that anime about the console war between Sega and Nintendo?

S5YpG.jpg

I think I can recognize a few.
щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ) щ(゚Д゚щ)
There's still not enough whys in the world for this.

Wait, Sega are the protagonists? Why do they expect us to root for the villains?
Well I'm always a fan when a show doesn't take the usual heros win in the end root. Though it does ruin the surprise when you know what the final outcome will be.

Gia = Sonic / Game Gear
Opul = Fantasy Zone
Neru = Phantasy Star
Tejilof = Tetris
Ramses = Columns
Marcse = Mario
Greege = Luigi
Carvai = Kirby
Fare = Fire Emblem
Masa = Mother
Saroid = Metroid
Pirika = Pocket Monsters
Fosta = Star Fox
Are you sure that's Tetris. They seem to be on Team Sega but Tetris would usually be associated with Nintendo.

Defuser

Natsuyuki Rendezvous ep 10
Finally, it's back to interaction between Hazuki and douchebag ghost after a few shitty episodes of nothing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I love every character in Gundam 08 MS team, even the kid, he manned the fuck up!

Yeah 08th ms team has some of the best gundam characters.

Amazingly how badass the guys (and girls!) are even with mechas that cant do shit (relatively speaking) compared to the wussies of some certain modern day Gundam shows.

I can't wait till they actually make another Gundam series. It's been a while since 00.

sonicmj1

I love every character in Gundam 08 MS team, even the kid, he manned the fuck up!

I think I forgot to mention in my reaction how much I loved the part right before the eyecatch. Totally caught me off guard.

Gunslinger Girl 9

The common charisma and extroverted nature of Lauro definitely helped his character's indifference towards the cyborgs not feel that of ill-will. However, that is simply "not the way he does things." I was more than happy to see his character walk off with that mindset with no silent grudges against him. He's not painted with a pitch black brush even though he is moreso on the "side" which views Elsa, Henrietta, etc as tools more than people.

Agreed. It definitely helped set him apart from other characters that have seemed rather cold and uncaring. But it's not an unrealistic trait for people who are prejudiced in various ways to be totally awesome outside of that specific context.

How long before you guys check out the next episode?

I'd hope people would catch on to our schedule after 9 weeks.

Paranoia Agent 9

I feel like this show is starting to spin off the rails a bit. I remember reading somewhere that Satoshi Kon wanted to do a TV show so he could play with a lot of different ideas instead of totally committing himself to a single story for a year like he does with movies. That produced some great stuff in episodic size earlier (like the last episode), but here, this "omnibus" of an episode is too scattershot.

iZmwhoCu1Rfc2.png

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight, rising up to the challenge of our rivals...

This episode consists of a collection of Shonen Bat "stories" told through the framing device of a bunch of gossiping housewives. What's real? What's a lie? There's no way to tell. There are a lot of clever concepts at play, but I think the rapid-fire pacing makes it harder to invest in any of them. It's like a joke book, almost, where the other bits were like standup pieces.

For me, I'd say the two strongest were the cram student story and the fated romance story. I found the former's imagery effectively unsettling on a psychological level without it being graphic.
When he was in the toilet trying to "cram" his knowledge back in his mouth, it made me wonder if he was being delusional and devouring his own vomit, which grossed me out.
The latter was just a nice reversal of expectations.

It allows Kon to hit at a bunch of different social issues (education, family, gossip, senpai-kouhai, social expectations), but the speed at which it happens prevents any kind of nuance, except in the framing device example.

I also didn't really get what was going on with this part towards the end.
Was it a metaphor for the outsider housewife losing her shit with the three other women who constantly belittled her? Was it a story they told? Did it actually happen?

The next episode preview looks like stuff I don't care about.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hyouka 17

Houtarou is a genius.

This episode was a good conclusion to the best Hyouka arc. The only lackluster plotline was Chitanda's because, well, she is a lackluster character. But even Mayaka's was fun - and now I want to read A Corpse by Evening, haha.

My only real doubt is: can 期待 really be translated as "expectation" in this context? It feels like the word means something else by the way they use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom