• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, KnK5 is one of the best anime movies ever. But yeah, KnK2 is pretty bad!

3 is nearly as good as 5!

In terms of how good they are:
5 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 7 > 2 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Epilogue

You have to watch them all to see the entire story though. Except the Epilogue, it's a waste of time.

duckroll

3 is nearly as good as 5!

In terms of how good they are:
5 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 7 > 2 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Epilogue

You have to watch them all to see the entire story though. Except the Epilogue, it's a waste of time.

I like 1 a lot. In general, I really can't stand the way Cocktoe and Shiki are written as a couple, and I don't like all the pseudo-spiritual babble stuff. The writing on the a whole is pretty awful. I would say 5 > 3 >>>>>> 1 >= 6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *.

I think 1, 3 , 5 make a pretty great trilogy. The characters are compelling, it's tight, and there's a good mix of thriller tension as well as action. 6 is just extremely cute, and it basically a prototype of Fate/Zero Ep10. The rest can suck it though. >_<

Nafe

I'm starting to think anything related to Horizon is your bat signal for posting in this thread.

You're not a viral marketer are you? Are you trying to sell me something?

I'm watching you.

Haha, there's a whole list of shows I like better than Horizon. I've just been trying to help people out is all really. If no one mentioned any confusion over Nate's chains then I would probably never have commented about the picture. cosmicblizzard and DTL just posted their impressions of the latest episode as well and I didn't respond to those either.

I won't try to sell you anything but maybe sometime in the future I might recommended a show or episode I watched perhaps.

I like 1 a lot. In general, I really can't stand the way Cocktoe and Shiki are written as a couple, and I don't like all the pseudo-spiritual babble stuff. The writing on the a whole is pretty awful. I would say 5 > 3 >>>>>> 1 >= 6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *.

I think 1, 3 , 5 make a pretty great trilogy. The characters are compelling, it's tight, and there's a good mix of thriller tension as well as action. 6 is just extremely cute, and it basically a prototype of Fate/Zero Ep10. The rest can suck it though. >_<

I think 1 would have been better if it wasn't the first film. I never understood what the reason was for having the story be out of chronological order like that, it doesn't add anything to the narrative and only confuses people. As it is, 1 has too much boring fake-philosophy, doesn't explain anything about what is going on, and then at the end randomly introduces Azaka who you only see for 15 seconds in 3 and then not again until 6. The fight at the end was pretty cool though.

The pseudo-metaphysical fake-philosophical stuff doesn't actually make any sense, and is actually kind of annoying because I really can't tell if Nasu was just really bored or if he was trying to be serious with it. I would have liked Shiki and Kokutou as a couple more if there wasn't a movie 7, because ugh. They could have stopped at 5 or 6 and I would have been happy, supposedly 5 was originally supposed to be the end but then Nasu wrote 6 and 7 anyways, and they felt fillerish, but 6 was lots of fun while 7 was just unnecessary and the ending sucked.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think 1 would have been better if it wasn't the first film. I never understood what the reason was for having the story be out of chronological order like that, it doesn't add anything to the narrative and only confuses people. As it is, 1 has too much boring fake-philosophy, doesn't explain anything about what is going on, and then at the end randomly introduces Azaka who you only see for 15 seconds in 3 and then not again until 6. The fight at the end was pretty cool though.

The pseudo-metaphysical fake-philosophical stuff doesn't actually make any sense, and is actually kind of annoying because I really can't tell if Nasu was just really bored or if he was trying to be serious with it. I would have liked Shiki and Kokutou as a couple more if there wasn't a movie 7, because ugh. They could have stopped at 5 or 6 and I would have been happy, supposedly 5 was originally supposed to be the end but then Nasu wrote 6 and 7 anyways, and they felt fillerish, but 6 was lots of fun while 7 was just unnecessary and the ending sucked.

Don't you know? Achronological is all the rage!

Soma

I guess I'll get it over with and go through the rest of the KnK movies this weekend. I've been putting it off for months now anyways.

I just had no motivation after the fifth movie. It was like "welp, i can't see how things are gonna live up to that now".

duckroll

I guess I'll get it over with and go through the rest of the KnK movies this weekend. I've been putting it off for months now anyways.

I just had no motivation after the fifth movie. It was like "welp, i can't see how things are gonna live up to that now".

They don't. It's all downhill from there. The final movie is a fucking crater in the ground. :(

kayos90

I still haven't seen the last episode yet. I should do that.

They don't. It's all downhill from there. The final movie is a fucking crater in the ground. :(

What if I'm a meteorologist?

Emitan

vlcsnap-2012-08-28-23dcl2u.png
No. I'm watching for the writing...

>_>

Branduil

I've never seen Ideon, but wrt anime movies, Sanrio hasn't let me down yet (4/4).

Plus this description makes it sound kinda wicked sweet. If it weren't a Tomino series I wouldn't even be wary.

What'a wrong with Tomino? From my experience he's one of the best comedy directors in anime.

Persona 4 True End

Whoa, now this is something to set the anime apart from the game.
They actually gave Yu a shadow self (kind of) and made his own insecurities something actually believable and in line with everyone else's.
I gotta say, the extent they went to make Yu into his own character and not just a silent protagonist is really impressive, and it finally reached its logical conclusion here. Great stuff.

My only real complaint about this whole thing is they didn't play Genesis during the final battle.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ultimadrago... I feel like a huge dick for doing this right after talking to you. But you made me think of Nichijou again, so I had to take a second and sketch something before bed. I'll probably do a finished version later when I find the time to do so <3 Yuuko

1178396-8KKTTB9.jpg

I'm thinking those are probably Mio's saucy yaoi drawings. Mio is really my bro, I could just hang out with her and draw smut all day long. What a girl.

Ultimadrago

Ultimadrago... I feel like a huge dick for doing this right after talking to you. But you made me think of Nichijou again, so I had to take a second and sketch something before bed. I'll probably do a finished version later when I find the time to do so <3 Yuuko

1178396-8KKTTB9.jpg

I'm thinking those are probably Mio's saucy yaoi drawings. Mio is really my bro, I could just hang out with her and draw smut all day long. What a girl.

Wow. That looks good, Extollere. Thanks for taking the time to make a sketch!

And yeah, Mio is great.

The Garden of Sinners Part 1 - Overlooking View

Not bad, if not great either. The narrative construction of the film is deliberately alienating; you're thrown into events without being given their context, and encounter characters without understanding who they are or their relationships with each other. Explanations occur after the fact, piece by piece over the course of the movie, and by the end you do have a pretty good idea of what you watched - mostly. What the concept of "overlooking view" meant alluded me at first, but conversations with duckroll made me realize that I haven't had the life experience to relate to the feeling of disassociation from the surrounding world that happens when you're on top of a high-rise looking out at a dense city far beneath you. Although it makes sense in retrospect, I do feel it could have been explained in a clearer manner. But that's Nasu for you.

The visual style is proto-Fate/Zero, while obviously a lot rougher, particularly in its lighting. Take this shot, for example:

While I like the griminess of the buildings, which fits with how the film wants to portray the urban environment thematically, the mixture of greens and reds rising from the streets and particularly the simply shaded red sky are rather unattractive. There's many other examples I could point to where the lighting is oversaturated or has a garish color scheme or is otherwise poorly created.

I did like how the contrast between emptiness and liveliness was portrayed. Shiki's apartment is bare, with the kind of generic background art that Jexhius recently railed against in his points on Eureka Seven AO:

Contrast this with Toko's office:

The background here is much more detailed and careful: paint flaking, clutter stuffed about every which way. Looking at the environments in which they live tells us pivotal information about these characters, even before we're told their names. Likewise, the contrast between the bustling city streets full of people and the deserted streets through which Shiki walks sets up a duality between the external and internal world better than the dialogue does.

Ei Aoki's directing here is pretty solid, with some good editing. There was a transition of the sort I love, melting between two like but unlike objects, in this case a coffee cup and the moon. Shiki's fight with her hand was well shot, bringing home the horror of not being in control of your own body.
(This is one point where the disjointedness of the structure succeeded, as not knowing ahead of time that her left arm was artificial made its rebellion that much more shocking.)
Not all of Aoki's decisions were successful, though. The climactic fight scene was an example of someone trying to use dramatic, sweeping camera movements to make the action exciting, but ending up flailing about wildly and creating incoherence.

Watching this immediately after Ghost in the Shell provides an unexpected point of comparison, as the two films have some vague similarities in the mood they seek to create and how they go about trying to create it. It makes the shortcomings of The Garden of Sinners stand out in greater relief. Two things stood out to me in particular: the writing and the music. Both scripts have a lot of vaguely philosophical rambling, but while in Ghost in the Shell clear themes of the mind-body dichotomy and personal identity emerge that engage with the thinking on those subjects present in both science fiction and philosophy, the ruminations of The Garden of Sinners are considerably more vague and airy, using metaphors with no substance behind them, bringing up life and death while asking no discernible questions about their nature. It made me appreciate the moments where Ghost in the Shell doesn't talk much more; The Garden of Sinners rarely stays quiet even when the visuals seem to demand it. A similar problem can be seen in Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack - while I am somewhat fond of the music itself, it is almost always over-orchestrated and bombastic, at odds with the contemplative nature of the rest of the film. On the other hand, Kenji Kawai's soundtrack for Ghost in the Shell is always understated, leaning towards ambient, tribal sounds, and fits into a cohesive whole.

To conclude, while this had its flaws I do not regret watching it and I look forward to what the next four films in the series have in store.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I would totally love to see Extollere do a
lewd
Nichijou Mio drawing. :>

She's a naughty girl~ Unfortunately Nichijou is one of the rare shows where I just can't seem to sexualize the girls. It's strange, because I don't normally have this problem... besides Kenro Koubo already made the best Nichijou doujin ever produced, so I don't feel the need to try and top that effort. :p

To Love-ru Darkness OVA 1
They just pick up right where they left off as if the show never stopped. Well, almost the same. It sure got a lot more erotic, and a lot more exposed nipples. All of which I'm ok with.
I know someone earlier mentioned that Haruna had more personality in this episode
when she was a cat
than she had ever before, but I don't see it. She seemed like normal Haruna to me. Well, whatever...
Structured like how Motto was, it was split into 3 parts
I can't wait for the show to start airing. Looks like it will be great! More to love, ru...
AWHUm.png

Something something q-tip...

kayos90

Persona 4 END

IZANAGI! On a more serious note. That was confusing as hell at first but it was good. I expect Persona 3 to be better than this pile of crap.

N.B. Damn Naoto is short.

The next six films. You want to watch 6 because Azaka is awesome. 7, well, it does conclude the story.

Until Gospel in the Future comes out.

Narag

Tora-chan to Hanayome

More Tora-chan from 1948, this time some older sibling of Tora-chan is getting married but grandfather is coming to put a stop to it as he won't allow the marriage so long as he's alive. Members of the ceremony take off to the church complete it before he arrives and it's up to Tora-chan and Miike to buy some time in order to save the wedding.

This was another pleasant watch like the first one although I was a little disappointed they got away from the musical bits from the first movie. The physical comedy with the kids & the grandfather nearly made up for it though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Posting to subscribe mostly, but I also wanted to tell you guys that Wien sucks and so does Tari Tari. Also most of you should be ashamed for forgetting about Humanity Has Declined when you were talking about best EDs.

duckroll

Tari Tari - Episode 9

Hey, this was pretty good! I like how they're starting to bring the various personal themes in the show together. It looks like the next episode is going to be pretty good too, since they have good momentum now. I'm rather concerned about how the overall story will end though. They've done some foreshadowing so far which concerns me in terms of where I don't want to see the story go. Speculation:
It looks like there's going to be some bullshit about the principal trying to sell the school out or something, and then at the end because of the determination and passion of the new choir club, the principal and vice-principal are overcome with emotions and decide to reverse the decision or something. I hope that doesn't happen because it would be corny and generic. But it would also be the sort of high drama feel good pandering that PA Works seems to like these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom