• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joshiraku 7
wepKI.jpg

The four girls look great as delinquents.
Well, um...
Stuff happened. I'd just suggest you watch the episode yourself.
Show of the season is still awesome!
aCijc.png

Such admirable dreams you have there.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Otome wa Boku ni Koishteru: Futari no Elder 01
This is a three episode OVA about some guy with a mysterious dark past at his school, so he winds up going to his Mother's old school for his senior year. The catch is that it's an all girls school so he must play the part. What plays out is a very by the books and perfunctory story with no real surprises. The boy plays the part of the perfect girl, so perfect in fact that the school lesbian picks out that he isn't a girl at all.

The only scene particularly of note, is the confrontation between the boy and a friend of his at the school who admires him. She overhears that he is a boy, and attempts to pull the truth herself if she is able to take victory in a duel. Like the rest of the production even this scene is short, constrained, and not particularly out of the ordinary, but it brings a necessary kinetic energy to the episode.

Horizon II 08

cPLz1.gif

Gotta make a cool exit.

Not bad. The finish of the debate was unexpected at least coming from last episode. It was mostly more talking and talking about stuff but at least our ninja has found love. Backstories everywhere too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Otome wa Boku ni Koishteru: Futari no Elder 02
Another very dry episode of solemn drama, quiet thank yous, subtle romance, and high school girl tension. This episode introduces new hitches rather than resolving the old ones strangely enough for the limited time the OVA has. An antagonist of sorts is introduced who stands at odds with the main group of girls. Unfortunately her foul temper is further incensed by misfortune as another dark secret past slowly unravels once more for the series. It's hard to feel particularly invested in the episode at any point as the story fails to really establish themes upfront, but it hits its dramatic scenes well enough to create a certain atmosphere of sadness across the whole episode.
In the episode's foreground is a competition for music ensembles is being held, and most of that stuff is again handled in a fairly plain manner regarding music choices, and lazy blocking in frames often obscures sections of instruments to limit animation (this is Silver Link after all). There is an incredibly effective and evocative scene where the use of instruments helps add something to the production, and some good white noise laying shows up to assist in effectively creating an uncomfortable sensation to one scene.
This episode was a better self contained story than the first, but with only one episode remaining it is difficult to imagine things appropriately coming to a close in any meaningful manner. As an outlet for fairly tactful drama you could do worse I suppose.

fertygo

Eureka AO 17

Dat Yuuko-sensei (Muv-Luv Alternative) parody. Hell even the story itself is Muv-Luv copy now, LOL the staff must've realize it with that Elena's parody.

What you've done BONES... Bwahahahaha

Persona 4 END

IZANAGI! On a more serious note. That was confusing as hell at first but it was good. I expect Persona 3 to be better than this pile of crap.

What didnt you like about the p4 anime? Persona 3 re:make should easily be better, it has Akihiko-senpai (isnt this incorrect?) and Shinjiro, and Ken, and Minato, and Stupei, and Kenji...and story thats just better, I dont think rpgs should have these super happy go lucky stories like Persona 4, I hope P5 is like P3.

oh speaking of p4, the art book seems to have been moved up to sept 5

The more I watch Horizon the more I like it. Aside from the strange character designs (which I've gotten used to at this point) and the confusing stuff in the first few episodes I'm not really seeing what is so bad about it.

As long as you make it past the first three episodes then it pretty much remains pretty interesting. It may just take a bit of asking questions, reading impressions, and secondary sources to understand the details in the story though, especially second season since they in like the most recent episodes, just drop tons of character names and places...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
No. I'm watching for the writing...

>_>

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you are. ^_~

Ultimadrago... I feel like a huge dick for doing this right after talking to you. But you made me think of Nichijou again, so I had to take a second and sketch something before bed. I'll probably do a finished version later when I find the time to do so <3 Yuuko

1178396-8KKTTB9.jpg

I'm thinking those are probably Mio's saucy yaoi drawings. Mio is really my bro, I could just hang out with her and draw smut all day long. What a girl.

Great sketch! So much motion and fluidity!

Kazzy

oh speaking of p4, the art book seems to have been moved up to sept 5

That's still not out? I shouldn't be suprised, the Valkyria Chronicles one was forever being delayed. Makes me glad that I just imported the Persona books.

And Persona 4 is always beaten with the "its too light and fluffy" stick, which seems ridiculous to me. Its not like its far removed from P3 in terms of its tone, which itself was hardly that macarbe.

Hakuouki Reimeiroku 8
tumblr_m9hl1rPXSN1qic25lo1_500.gif

So glad Ryunosuke Ibuki is actually training, though am not surprised by the things happening because of the Roshigumi's reputation. Backstory provides the best fights Souji and Saito.

Oh Heisuke continues to be a favorite, he;s possibly tied with Ibuki for me.
tumblr_m9elapuhXR1qfv2xro4_250.gif

Phi Brain 2 ep 21
tumblr_m9f6q8D9mD1qjx55ro1_500.gif

Puzzle time start! That was actually really fun puzzle and everything even Mizerka and Doubt had fun. I actually did enjoy all the drama with her and then in puzzle
Doubt dropping down to save her, suspenseful and wonderful
. I hope Rook shows up next episode though.

I hope we get 25 more episodes and Sentai at least dates the first set and that it gets a dub!

cajunator

Banned
I don't know how much longer I will have power. The hurricane is definitely going to impact here too.
Will try to watch some more shows in the meantime. SAO is pretty addictive.

sonicmj1

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 8

In which we learn that war is bad. Thanks, Gundam.

Seriously, this was a great episode. The courtroom scene is really well directed. I love all the cross-cutting in it, and there are some fantastic reactions.

iblREAH7c7gE9x.png

I mean, Guineas gets so pissed that his collar and hair rise on their own through the sheer force of his rage.

Shiro's in a bit of a mental bind after what happened last episode. The events here serve to
tear down his hero complex a bit, showing that nobody wants or expects mercy in the middle of a war. I honestly didn't expect him to have such a naive attitude after last episode, even if he has good reasons for it. Did he forget about that space colony in his dream/flashback? I guess he had to remember that even if he understands that the enemy is made of up of real people, he forgot how they feel when they're fighting. Either way, this episode is a good reminder that the only way to get people to stop killing each other is to end the war.

This show is a great ride. After what happened at the Zeon base in this episode, I'm really curious how events are going to develop.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't know how much longer I will have power. The hurricane is definitely going to impact here too.

Keep safe and keep us informed as much as possible.

Theonik

Revolutionary Girl Utena 02
*carefully secures yuri goggles to face*
ibzR2XwJjhKUkU.png

Yes I switched to MPC now, yes it likes to take screens like this deal with it.
So
Anthy is now basically Utena's wifu/maid-slave-thing
fine with me! Chu-chu is cute. Wakaba is pretty sweet too. Best non-main cast character!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Revolutionary Girl Utena 02
*carefully secures yuri goggles to face*

So
fine with me! Chu-chu is cute. Wakaba is pretty sweet too. Best non-main cast character!

dude

dude

stop it

:(

BluWacky

Yes I switched to MPC now, yes it likes to take screens like this deal with it.

Interesting - I just use the "save screenshot" function or whatever it is and it outputs pictures at the right aspect ratio and everything. It's what I used for my Utena screenshots from the last thread.

So

I know you're being flippant because it's the anime thread, but you're kind of missing the whole point of the first two episodes there... that
Utena has absolutely no interest in Anthy being her "slave", unlike Saionji.

Theonik

Interesting - I just use the "save screenshot" function or whatever it is and it outputs pictures at the right aspect ratio and everything. It's what I used for my Utena screenshots from the last thread.
I use fraps to take screens so that's partially the cause for this. The other being that MadVR renders blends its output with a black background and the subtitle renderer is separate and is overlayed as if it were a 1080p video. Which breaks screens with fraps. (and using MPC's screen function is annoying and I can't get it to work anyway.)

I know you're being flippant because it's the anime thread, but you're kind of missing the whole point of the first two episodes there... that
Utena has absolutely no interest in Anthy being her "slave", unlike Saionji.
Oh I know, in fact Utena's intention is to save her from that fate like the true prince that she is aspiring to be. Or so it seems so far. I was commenting on Anthy's present attitude and mostly trying to be humorous.

Take care and stay safe. SAO's good stuff...especially for Asuna. No other girl on that show matters.

Hey guys, I started Sword Art Online and that's pretty much the only anime I've started from this season.

Any recommendations? I don't have any specific genre in mind at the moment, so I'm pretty much open to anything that you guys consider decent this season.

cajunator

Banned
Hey guys, I started Sword Art Online and that's pretty much the only anime I've started from this season.

Any recommendations? I don't have any specific genre in mind at the moment, so I'm pretty much open to anything that you guys consider decent this season.

Jinrui, Joshiraku, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Tari Tari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom