• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagami

This is the inside of Animate. Spoilers, it's always stupidly humid and smelly in here.
Animate is providing a summer Comic Market training environment as a free service to its customers.

Omg.... dude, is there any cool F/Z or SAO swag? Maybe you can buy it and send it to me and I pay you back? ^_^
There's pretty much an unlimited supply of F/Z stuff.
http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=110&scope=0&scope2=0&itkey=Fate/Zero

SAO not quite to that level, heh.
http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=110&scope=0&scope2=0&itkey=Sword+Art+Online

Thoraxes

I like how Li(s/z)beth's skills are all practical and immensely useful, not to mention nearing the 1000/1000 cap for many of those.

Meanwhile, Asuna caps out cooking.

And her one-handed skill. On paper she should be the best waifu, but this simply isn't true.

duckroll

Sengoku Collection - Episode 18

I never asked for this... I don't even feel like posting impressions about this episode. In fact, I don't think I have the mood for anime for the rest of the day. What is this Brain's Base? Whyyyyyyyyy? :(

Also, now that I look at that photo again, that store is kind of depressing-looking. With all those exposed pipes and fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling and the claustrophobic narrowness it looks like it was set up in a bomb shelter or something.

Hilariously, I'd never noticed that until I uploaded the picture. Hahaha.

The place is impossible to move in when it's crowded. The Tokyo Animate stores are way worse though, despite being much bigger.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I never asked for this... I don't even feel like posting impressions about this episode. In fact, I don't think I have the mood for anime for the rest of the day. What is this Brain's Base? Whyyyyyyyyy? :(

Dude. SAO comes out though. Come on!

Gundam 08th MS Team episode 10,11 and 12

Okay, the end battle was nice, but I felt that the second half of the show was substandard compared with the first half. Episode 12 "Last Resort" wasn't particularly good either.

This was set to become my favourite Gundam show and dethrone Gundam 00 season 1, well its still my 2nd favourite, giving it an 8/10.

Some more random pics from Animate/Tsutaya.

I had no idea the new Full Metal Panic novel series was already on vol. 4. Time flies.

IMG_0588.jpg

For the iDOLM@STER fans. New albums this week.

The latest Oreimo that came out. There were tons of these all over.

And finally the new DVD/BD releases.

Jarmel

Banned
I couldn't disagree more. Getting stronger is the means to an end. On layer of this motivations is to survive. Kirito doesn't want to lose to this fate forced on him. Another layer is attonement. He was deeply scared when he lt his first guild was wiped out and you see the affects of that truma with him into episode 9. He wants to save lives and actually at ep 9 we see the first time two of his motivations at odds with one another. Another layer of motivation are his friends who he wants to be around but feels he needs to be away from to keep them safe... the reasons for this are another universe of thought of its own. I can write a short story on what makes him complex but I hope the above was enough.

He hasn't shown any survival instincts so far other than the first episode. We don't see him worrying about PKs or pretty much anything. Even at the end he rushes headfirst into a boss in a suicidal berserker rush. As for the guild, yes we got the flash in episode 9 but what else was there in between? For the friends bit, that's more him being antisocial than anything else. He still relies on the black guy and interacts with everyone else in a normal manner.

Come on now! Him wanting to leave and him being a famous front-liner are all the surface reasons to see he wants nothing more then to leave! It's obvious without even diving deeper into is personality.

50% of the story reinforces why he's a loner. God is in the details... you almost make it sound like the story said in a single dialog line at the begining "Kirito is a loner"
and left it at that. You know he's a loner because that's the manifestation of his pain.

When has he really expressed any urge to get out? Has he worried about his family at all? School/whatever he was doing in the real world? How much he hates this world?

The only episode that reinforced why he's a loner is the one with 'Beater' and the guild one. That's it. The rest actually counters it for the most part as he interacts with everyone on a pretty normal basis. Tell me how does the Lizbeth, the murder mystery arc, or Silica add to the loner complex? Five of the 9 don't address it all and it only comes into play at the very end of the 9th episode.

kayos90

Kind of spoilery, broski.

It would have been a nice surprise
to find out how OP Heathcliff is.

How so? they're just stats. The dude just happens to have way too much time and just loves to master every skill. lol.

EDIT: You bring up a point. I did it. lol.

cajunator

Banned
So I went window shopping today out of boredom and figured I'd take some pics of shit for the thread.

Sword Art Online has tons of little displays all over the major stores. There were two different ones at Animate.

This one is for Fate/Zero fans...

This is the inside of Animate. Spoilers, it's always stupidly humid and smelly in here.

That looks like a store I would spend most of the day in.
It is a perfect habitat for cajunators.

kayos90

Some more random pics from Animate/Tsutaya.

I had no idea the new Full Metal Panic novel series was already on vol. 4. Time flies.

For the iDOLM@STER fans. New albums this week.

The latest Oreimo that came out. There were tons of these all over.

And finally the new DVD/BD releases.

I spy KYH and AW. YAY!

Jarmel

Banned
Oh. So here's Heathcliff, who Kirito is fighting off against tomorrow. Compare this dude and Kirito for the lulz.

So does this guy actually go to the frontlines and fight? I would have assumed he's more managerial.

How so? they're just stats. The dude just happens to have way too much time and just loves to master every skill. lol.

EDIT: You bring up a point. I did it. lol.

How do you level up skills? Most games I've seen requires usage or overall leveling up so unless he practices against a wall, it seems he would have some practical experience.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah. The guild is a frontline guild. Everyone in KoB fights on the front line.

Just because they're a frontline guild doesn't mean everyone has to fight(unless they mention something in the novels). If it's an especially large guild, just running those can be very time consuming.

kayos90

Just because they're a frontline guild doesn't mean everyone has to fight(unless they mention something in the novels). If it's an especially large guild, just running those can be very time consuming.

No. Everyone in the guild fights. EVERYONE.

So I went window shopping today out of boredom and figured I'd take some pics of shit for the thread.

Sword Art Online has tons of little displays all over the major stores. There were two different ones at Animate.

This one is for Fate/Zero fans...

Why do they leave Ryuunosuke of the cover?

And I cant help but feel that ive been spoiled on so much stuff on sao with all this ln info people post :/

duckroll

So does this guy actually go to the frontlines and fight? I would have assumed he's more managerial.

If the guild leader refuses to take part in raids, no one else would take part in a raid! That's how it usually goes! There really isn't much to manage in a MMO other than getting everyone to actually do shit. The best way to do that is to be there yourself to do it. :p

It's mentioned in the novels and also just makes sense that in a death game like this, nobody is going to follow your orders if you refuse to put yourself on the line too.

Theonik

wonzo
Ascending the eternal
spiritual elevator

Mad Pierrot
The Light of El Cantare

Awesome tags. When did this happen?

sonicmj1

I went on a field trip today, and found a pretty good movie theater. They'll be showing the new Happy Science movie in October!

But that's not important right now.

Blood-C: The Last Dark

It wasn't exactly the movie I wanted, but it was probably the movie I deserved.

Before I get deeper, I want to qualify this by saying that this was definitely a step beyond my comprehension level. Wolf Children was easy to watch because everything important (character motivations and stuff) was fully expressed without words. The Last Dark involves underground hacker organizations and shadowy megacorporations and plotting and betrayal, so my relatively low listening comprehension caused me to miss a lot of important details.

With that out of the way, let's get to the meat of things. Six months after the end of Blood-C, Saya's in Tokyo searching for the villain from the TV series. After a visually arresting action sequence and a less-exciting CG car chase, she teams up with a group of young hackers called Third Partner (I think?) with common aims in order to find the man she's looking for and kill him filthy. Shit happens, swords cut things and they bleed a lot, people speak vaguely about power and stuff, and characters have incredibly long arms. It's Blood-C.

It's a very visually arresting movie in a lot of ways. I really like the way it uses light and dark, both in terms of setting mood and highlighting important moments that happen. The action, when it avoids crazy CG-camera-panning, is forceful and exciting. There's a brief sequence where Saya knocks out a trio of overmatched cops, and her blows feel appropriately powerful despite her size and speed. There's a lot of CG in the movie, and it's generally well-used. It's not extremely noticeable unless you're looking for it, with the probable exceptions of the car chase and a particular giant monster towards the end of the movie. There are also a bunch of first-person camera shots that basically always look either strange or disorienting. Still, it does much more right than wrong, and it makes me hopeful for Psycho-Pass, which has the same director. Any director of dystopian futuristic sci-fi should understand moody lighting.

Saya's the obvious protagonist of the movie, but most of her supporting cast goes undeveloped, with the exception of Mana, a young female member of the group supporting our heroine. Still grieving the disappearance of her father, connected to the Seventh Heaven organization run by the man Saya seeks, she looks to the monster hunter for companionship. Mana grows more capable during the movie, and she also helps break down some of Saya's initial cold, anti-social mood that she earned through the events of the TV series. But everyone else in Third Partner feels like anime decoration. They do amusing things, but they don't develop or add much to the story.

I felt like the ending wasn't as cathartic as I was hoping, but I might have felt differently if it weren't buried in a mound of words I couldn't really understand. Some pretty explosive events occurred, but I didn't grasp what the point of it all was. It seemed like an overly elaborate plot to achieve a simple aim disguised with lots of sugary, high-sounding words. I guess that's probably what I should have expected.

Ultimately, it delivered on quality action (the opening sequence, the fight in the auditorium, and a sequence near the end against a group of armed guards all do a great job of building tension before providing some sweet bloodshed), and it conclusively ended the arc of the TV series, which is all I really needed.

Nitpick: Saya wears nothing but school uniforms or pajamas during the movie. I feel like she only wears school uniforms at this point because it's an iconic part of her design, and I think it's a missed opportunity for the character designers to be creative.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a very visually arresting movie in a lot of ways. I really like the way it uses light and dark, both in terms of setting mood and highlighting important moments that happen. The action, when it avoids crazy CG-camera-panning, is forceful and exciting. There's a brief sequence where Saya knocks out a trio of overmatched cops, and her blows feel appropriately powerful despite her size and speed. There's a lot of CG in the movie, and it's generally well-used. It's not extremely noticeable unless you're looking for it, with the probable exceptions of the car chase and a particular giant monster towards the end of the movie. There are also a bunch of first-person camera shots that basically always look either strange or disorienting. Still, it does much more right than wrong, and it makes me hopeful for Psycho-Pass, which has the same director. Any director of dystopian futuristic sci-fi should understand moody lighting.

Thanks for the writeup. I was mainly interested in seeing how good the director was, as I'm curious how he'll do on Psycho-Pass. It seems duckroll's comment on how the director was very good at doing visual shots is true. Hopefully that can be brought to PP and we can get some moody atmosphere.

He hasn't shown any survival instincts so far other than the first episode. We don't see him worrying about PKs or pretty much anything. Even at the end he rushes headfirst into a boss in a suicidal berserker rush. As for the guild, yes we got the flash in episode 9 but what else was there in between? For the friends bit, that's more him being antisocial than anything else. He still relies on the black guy and interacts with everyone else in a normal manner.

Kirito has always been extremely strong in SAO since he was in the beta and because of this, he leveled fast as was able to gain far more strength than the general population hence why other players never bothered him; he's only really concerned with PvE unless he has to check some fool. As for him rushing in, like I said... God is in the detail. That hesitation showed he knew what he was risking before he went in. His friend (Asuna) was far more important to him than anything else at that point. He couldn't stop his special attack once he started it... it wasn't like he wanted to work his health bar down to that level. If you can accept that he's a loner, then you can understand the significence of his repor with the other players I infer are his friends otherwise he would keep it business.

When has he really expressed any urge to get out? Has he worried about his family at all? School/whatever he was doing in the real world? How much he hates this world?

He's clearly gone through a change from the first few minutes of the character that was established before he logged into SAO. When shit got real, he had to deal with reality in the game. So he wanted to play the game... me wanting to get my hands on Torchlight 2 so badly doesn't mean the dozens of hours I will spend in that world is my rejection of the concept of reality just because I had a bad day at work. Kirito is a stark contrast to people who have accepted the world and are simply hooking up, amassing wealth and putting down their roots. He has little material attachment to that world and is constantly fighting to get to the next floor. Everything he does suggests he wants out.

The only episode that reinforced why he's a loner is the one with 'Beater' and the guild one. That's it. The rest actually counters it for the most part as he interacts with everyone on a pretty normal basis. Tell me how does the Lizbeth, the murder mystery arc, or Silica add to the loner complex? Five of the 9 don't address it all and it only comes into play at the very end of the 9th episode.

You are ignoring the layers of him as a realized character and thinking of him in that reductive fashion of just a loner. Him being a loner is the manifestation of his pain/conflict. He has a very strong sense of justice. Remember how he objected to a plan that would even harm NPCs. One of the conflicts is he wants to protect so he needs to maintain contact with others to do so but soon after his quests, he goes back to being alone because he know he needs to do dangerous things to advance. It sounds like a cntradiction but its a conflict between to aspects of himself. The Lizbeth thing for example again were multiple aspects competing with each other. As with anyone who acompany's him, Kirito goes through great lengths to keep them safe. They accompany him because there's some task at hand critical to him finishing the game, him upholding his sense of justice or him spending time with his friends.

As time progresses, his truma heals and which is making less and less of a loner because a loner isn't his sole personality trait but rather a manifestation of a particular subset of marks left by his experiences in life.

sonicmj1

Thanks for the writeup. I was mainly interested in seeing how good the director was, as I'm curious how he'll do on Psycho-Pass. It seems duckroll's comment on how the director was very good at doing visual shots is true. Hopefully that can be brought to PP and we can get some moody atmosphere.

If you want to see some for yourself, the first 8 minutes of the movie are up online. It's not translated, but there isn't that much talking during this part anyways.

Jex

Blood-C: The Last Dark

It wasn't exactly the movie I wanted, but it was probably the movie I deserved.

After a visually arresting action sequence and a less-exciting CG car chase, she teams up with a group of young hackers called Third Partner (I think?)...

The action, when it avoids crazy CG-camera-panning, is forceful and exciting. There's a brief sequence where Saya knocks out a trio of overmatched cops, and her blows feel appropriately powerful despite her size and speed. There's a lot of CG in the movie, and it's generally well-used. It's not extremely noticeable unless you're looking for it, with the probable exceptions of the car chase and a particular giant monster towards the end of the movie[...]
Well, I don't even know what I expected from a Blood-C movie but that all sounds about right, apart from all the CG. God dammit Production I.G.

don't know if it good but it has hopes and dreams... hopes and dreams.

Lol... I'm a rare breed of anime lovers these days... it takes a lot to put me off an anime. I can enjoy the lowest of lows with a huge grin on my face :D

Case in point: I love me some Akane Maniax (not sure why either... I'm typically good about knowing what aspects of an amime I like)

Defuser

Accel World ep 22
Poor Taku, he's smart and handsome yet he fell in love with a girl who strip, bare it all, and uses a short cable to a pork who happens to be his best friend but not to him. That is some NTR.

wonzo

Banned
Blood-C: The Last Dark sounds like a movie worthy of the great TV series. Get hype!

owned by Brain's Base... :(

Accel World ep 22
Poor Taku, he's smart and handsome yet he fell in love with a girl who strip, bare it all, and uses a short cable to a pork who happens to be his best friend but not to him. That is some NTR.

This isn't the first time either... She really wants to jump porky's bones bad for some reason and is with Taku only because porky wants ot that way. I sometimes get the feeling she's going to go full Kaede on Black Lotus someday :(

I don't know what it is, but I'm really hooked on SAO right now. I'm not a huge anime fan, but that show is just clicking for me. Are the English translations of the novel series any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom