• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knight in the Area 34
tumblr_ma13zoHtF01qbxqfpo1_500.png

The first game was awesome (and our favorite announcer dude!) Akimoto was a decent addition
At least they gave him this scene even though he was shot down immediately
. I actually do enjoy seeing Phi Trick but really it can only work against low level teams, the anime makes it seem as if its Kakeru's signature skill, which hopefully he can actually level up.

Nadeshiko match was alright, they just didnt let the other team speak Finland language :(

Gundam 08th MS Team: Miller's Report

"I'll fight this war the way I want!"

No just no Shiro. 5/10

Here's a piece from animeboards I agree:

Is it just me, or does every other Gundam Series have a character or two that just makes stupid decisions part way through the series? I'm talking little mistakes that everyone is entitled to make, but big ones that have a dramatic effect on the whole series.

Lets take 08th MS team, a series that was great up until the point where
Shiro took on that super pacifist attitude. Now, I'm not going to talk bad about Pacifist attitudes in general, but Shiro had already become a Soldier; he was in the middle of war and surrounded by enemy soldiers who truly believed in what they were fighting for (or at least what they thought they were fighting for). His lack of action nearly got his own men killed in battle, and to think that he could change the fate of the whole war through his resistance was rather careless.

Grzi

Caught up on Horizon - I'm definitely enjoying the development Tenzou has been getting, can't wait to see how his arc gets concluded. There's a lot more duels this season, so that's definitely a plus. Besides that, it's pretty much the same as the first season.

I've also been doing some catching up on other shows, but I'll post stuff on those later.

Kingdom
is possibly the ugliest show I've ever seen but I'll be damned if it doesn't keep me entertained.
Help me? ;___;

I've also been doing some catching up on other shows, but I'll post stuff on those later.

Kingdom
is possibly the ugliest show I've ever seen but I'll be damned if it doesn't keep me entertained.
Help me? ;___;

All antagonist designs (except for Cheng Jiao) are ugly, like Lan Kai, Muta...the armor on the grunts looks awful even in motion, and the anime could have given the different faces etc...but its a fun anime. Xin reminds me of Ichigo alot, Bi is funny too, as well as the mountain tribe folks and Sei.

wonzo

Banned
Here's some Hell's Angels GIFs for cosmic:

icAhmAjnEOUWU.gif

iFYlFpiEyLE0x.gif

iCqRTxh9ApPGh.gif

ibfFPhxuWwo42D.gif

izdJQhrU1gAJd.gif

... and that's only the first 10 minutes before it gets really good!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yuru Yuri S2 10:

Being Himawari is frustrating.

Being Akarin is suffering. Chinatsu is so bad that even Akarin is fucking terrified of her.

Not enough Ayano. ;_;

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Re watching Legend of Galactic Heroes.

So who is the strongest!?! Yang Wendi or Siegfried Kircheis? :O

End of the 3rd arc is still brutal. Just because of how it happened.

duckroll

Sengoku Collection - Episode 19

Okay, this was much better than the previous episode written and directed by JERKS. This time we have a surrealist crime drama featuring Akechi Mitsuhide as the wise female detective. It was very odd, but pretty entertaining. It is also not what it seems, as by the end of the episode it reveals layer after layer of implied psychological drama.

The amount of effort put into pulling off the concept in this episode is a clear sign that the staff working on the show have slipped into insanity. The contrast between the art direction and the vapid character designs is really striking, and the most effective part of the strange allure this show has, at least the good episodes anyway.

This episode is also much more entertaining for people actually familiar with the historical references of the characters in the show. Lolz.

Re watching Legend of Galactic Heroes.

So who is the strongest!?! Yang Wendi or Siegfried Kircheis? :O

End of the 3rd arc is still brutal. Just because of how it happened.

Yang Wenli no doubt. He never had decent fleets or numerical advantages yet always came up with crazy strategies to win or get a draw.

Yeah end of arc 3 was sad, never thought something like that would happen. And that is why I love it, crazy plot twists and never became boring or predictable.

If I had to rate the strongest admirals it would be:

1. Yang Wenli
2. Kircheis
3. Reinhard
4. Reuental (the man that could become the emperor, if only if he was born in a different era)
5. Mittermeyer

Jex

Gundam 08th MS Team: Miller's Report

"I'll fight this war the way I want!"

No just no Shiro. 5/10

Here's a piece from animeboards I agree:

Characters in Sunrise shows, not just mecha shows, like to make fairly unthinkable decisions from time to for no real reason than to simply keep the series moving forward. Sometimes it just comes out of nowhere and completely demolishes the plot lines that had been developed up to that point. However I don't really think that's what happened in 08th MS Team, I imagine it's probably do with the change of director, which led to a different vision.

duckroll

Accel World - Episode 22

About 10 minutes of virtual world stuff which is pretty fun, followed a lot of bad real world stuff which varies between unbearably annoying to decent shounen scheming. Either way, we're all set for the big action finale... if Sunrise actually gets off their ass and gives us what we want. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Jex

Some more random pics from Animate/Tsutaya.

IMG_0570-1.jpg

And finally the new DVD/BD releases.

I didn't look particularly closely at this earlier, but I find it funny how the vast majority of the covers for these releases is just some tasteless fanservice to lure you over. For Upotte they have girls holding guns (or rather a gun holding herself), for MGX they've gone with some beach-service and for Hyouka they've gone for a tender moment between Oreki and Satoshi, with Satoshi gazing longingly at Oreki.

sleepykyo

Accel World ep 22
Poor Taku, he's smart and handsome yet he fell in love with a girl who strip, bare it all, and uses a short cable to a pork who happens to be his best friend but not to him. That is some NTR.

Obvious joke about Taku having more access to Chiyu's backdoor as a villain than as a hero.

Articalys

Saimoe Round 1 Group F, Day 4 Results

F04
1st 306 Kirame Hanada @ Saki
2nd 198 Ranko Saouji @ Sankarea
3rd 46 Kasumi Iwato @ Saki

F08
1st 317 Nyaruko @ Haiyore! Nyarlko-san
2nd 209 Nadeko Sengoku @ Nisemonogatari
3rd 63 Mayu Morita @ Morita-san Wa Mukuchi

F12
1st 249 Miyako @ Hidamari Sketch
2nd 207 Takane Shijou @ The Idolmaster
3rd 108 Yuuko Kanoe @ Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia

--------------------------------------------

Another one day break before the final two groups.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I missed that episode and now I'm happy I did from ya'lls reactions :D

No way, man, you have to watch it. You don't even have a choice in the matter. If you've been looking for feels out of the show, this episode has your feels.

Here's some Hell's Angels GIFs for cosmic:

... and that's only the first 10 minutes before it gets really good!

Thanks wonzo, my gif software shits out on hi10p so I probably wasn't going to be able to help cosmic. OceanBlue gave me instructions on how to fix my gif problem a few weeks ago and I suppose it's high time that I take his advice.
wonzo
Ascending the eternal
spiritual elevator

Mad Pierrot
The Light of El Cantare

Awesome tags. When did this happen?

They were always there, but are invisible to the unascended.

Grzi

Mad Pierrot what happened to your MAL?

And more importantly, Getter Robo Armageddon?

First Envelope betrayed me and our deal, and now you? ;____;

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mad Pierrot what happened to your MAL?

And more importantly, Getter Robo Armageddon?

First Envelope betrayed me and our deal, and now you? ;____;

I made a mistake that resulted in my MAL being unusable for a few weeks. I've had a couple of multi-week-long strings of illness that have kept me from watching much in the way of anime, but I haven't forgotten about our deal. I'll get to the rest once I'm caught up with what's airing weekly (which may be never at this point, but still...)

duckroll

Sengoku Collection - Episode 21

This episode is amazing and requires more attention than the previous two I watched, so I will be returning to using visual aid to explain how special this entry is. The story this time centers on Takeda Shingen. There is probably a need to remind everyone how large the gulf is between how the characters are portrayed in popular entertainment, and how they are in Sengoku Collection, so here's a comparison between Takeda Shingen from Sengoku Basara (Capcom) and Sengoku Collection (Konami):

dif3q.jpg
KYyVI.jpg

So, that seems on par with the rest of this ridiculous series. What makes this episode so special? It takes place on an abandoned space colony. Say what? Yes, it takes place on a space colony which has been taken over by a killer AI. It was also apparently run by Russians. This is all delivered with a straight face, as if such a thing would be normal, which I guess it is, considering this is a world which accepts the reality of historical sengoku characters (who happen to be gender swapped) appearing in present day, and society actually helps them integrate. But whatever.

It would already be amazing if the episode was simply about a one-woman sengoku legend fighting a killer AI and her army of drones. But it isn't she also gets a sidekick - a wise-cracking coffee-making robot. This might sound totally insane, but somehow it actually works. There is a good dynamic between the characters and it's pretty funny. Here's the cute guy right here:

wG5OU.jpg

I really enjoyed this episode, and it shows that there are no limits to the sort of wacky nonsense they can think up to fill an episode of this totally off-the-wall series. It's a pity that not every episode was made with as much care and creativity as the stand-out episodes. If that happened to be the case this might actually have ended up being a really solid series instead of just a curiosity with some episodes worth checking out.

I'll leave you with another screen which showcases how anything can happen in this anime:

aduGb.jpg

Grzi

I made a mistake that resulted in my MAL being unusable for a few weeks. I've had a couple of multi-week-long strings of illness that have kept me from watching much in the way of anime, but I haven't forgotten about our deal. I'll get to the rest once I'm caught up with what's airing weekly (which may be never at this point, but still...)

Oh, sorry to hear that man.
Hope you're doing fine now, wish you the best.

Jex

I feel like Brain's Base almost have more creative freedom to do exactly what they want with their 'adaptation' of Sengoku Collection than other studios have doing completely original projects. After all, if you're doing an 'original' anime you've got to write a story and characters and tie it all into a setting etc. where as Sengoku Collection is truly a 'collection' of stories. They can tell whatever stories in whatever style with whatever tone they want and they don't have to worry about linking them all together to make a coherent work.

duckroll

I feel like Brain's Base almost have more creative freedom to do exactly what they want with their 'adaptation' of Sengoku Collection than other studios have doing completely original projects. After all, if you're doing an 'original' anime you've got to write a story and characters and tie it all into a setting etc. where as Sengoku Collection is truly a 'collection' of stories. They can tell whatever stories in whatever style with whatever tone they want and they don't have to worry about linking them all together to make a coherent work.

Did you know the entire modern day setting is also their idea? They really went to town with the entire contract they got. Konami probably didn't give a crap about what they did with it, as long as it helped promote the awareness of the game. Lol.

Characters in Sunrise shows, not just mecha shows, like to make fairly unthinkable decisions from time to for no real reason than to simply keep the series moving forward. Sometimes it just comes out of nowhere and completely demolishes the plot lines that had been developed up to that point. However I don't really think that's what happened in 08th MS Team, I imagine it's probably do with the change of director, which led to a different vision.

Great explanation. Thats just weak directing. Long animes like LoGH shows you don't need to do that in order for the series to keep moving forward.

Lain

Accel World 22

The whole "I'm doing it of my own free will" is such a shitty plot point and I'm sure the explanation of why she is doing it of her own free will will be even more shitty. Also boasting about leveling in that situation? Lol Chiyu is so fucked up.

Jex

Speaking of which...

[Sengoku Collection] - 19

Now that was a fairly impressive episode that really earned it's ending, unlike the consistently depressing episode 18. It's pretty hard to pull off the whole
you were the killer all along
coupled with
it was all a play
coupled with
it was all a dream
and squeeze that all in to one ending that actually makes sense based off the character even though everything about this series is inherently ludicrous. I particularly like how the tone
started off fairly comedic and light-hearted but became a serious piece towards the final scenes.
I think we've all experience many works where that just hasn't worked at all.

This show is super weird. I dunno who came up with all these scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom