• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope i'm not confused... Tamayura is the one that starts with them having the same wish (of flying) and it coming true right? Dude... am I getting that old? :(
No, that was Summer Miracle... or whatever it was called.
Ah yeah, Natsuiro no Kiseki. It's basically Tamayura-lite. (or Diet Tamayura)

I freely admit that I've gone off the deep end with the show. Even with individual bad episodes, the whole thing is just kind of endearing and comforting at this point. I kind of hate myself for even typing these words!
Well, I suppose I shouldn't say anything since I like Oda Nobuna.

Sword Art Online 10

Duel was too short and a bit of a letdown. I wasn't expecting for it to take the whole episode, but something perhaps a bit more dramatic in any event.

So Asuna
saves Kirito, then proceeds to force Kirito to save her. The bit where he was confessing his loyalty to her right afterwards reminded me (for whatever weird reason) of Anakin swearing loyalty to Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith...lol.
To be honest, where it went from there felt kinda dumb.

Guess there's always next week...

-Minsc-

I'm curious, have you seen the original anime? How does the jdrama match up to that? It just seems like this "evil student" thing has gone on forever... although I'm still on 8.

The anime follows the manga until it runs out of source material at which point it runs off it's own tangent. There were numerous manga story lines in GTO 2012 which were never adapted in the anime. Of course the TV drama compresses the the story of a 25 volume manga so obviously characters are combined and certain things are cut and toned down. Many of the events are actually original to the TV drama. For example, the episode with the kid who had the tattoo, that whole story never appeared in the manga. However, I found it to be one of my favourite episodes as I didn't try to compare it to the manga source.

The "evil student" thing was there however it was broken up a bit by other plot elements. I found the students had way more characterization in the manga, but that is to be expected. If you get the chance, I recommend reading the manga. Enough material was changed in the 2012 drama that it kept the story from feeling stale to a GTO vet such as myself.

One thing I'm surprised they haven't covered is the Teshigawara storyline. They touched on it at the end of one episode and never want back. I don't think I missed another episode, you never know though.

Defuser

Yessir. Yuta "Dark Flame Master" Togashi.

Looks like something Nomura would design.

Nomura™

Actually I feel they're were basing the design from this
61NAR.jpg

Kokoro Connect 10

Eugh, does everything have to be a stealth harem? I don't know why the show is pretending that Inaba having the hots for Yaegashi is some sort of hidden secret that they have to destroy her character in order to show. She straight out propositions him for sex one episode now she's been returned to the stock lovesick girl who can't control her emotions. She can't even explain herself without crying - why is that this is always done to female characters? Why do you need to break her down? I liked her before this episode decided we needed the girls to fight over Tachi, and in order to do that they had to destroy Inaba's character. She's pathetic now!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The anime follows the manga until it runs out of source material at which point it runs off it's own tangent. There were numerous manga story lines in GTO 2012 which were never adapted in the anime. Of course the TV drama compresses the the story of a 25 volume manga so obviously characters are combined and certain things are cut and toned down. Many of the events are actually original to the TV drama. For example, the episode with the kid who had the tattoo, that whole story never appeared in the manga. However, I found it to be one of my favourite episodes as I didn't try to compare it to the manga source.

The "evil student" thing was there however it was broken up a bit by other plot elements. I found the students had way more characterization in the manga, but that is to be expected. If you get the chance, I recommend reading the manga. Enough material was changed in the 2012 drama that it kept the story from feeling stale to a GTO vet such as myself.

One thing I'm surprised they haven't covered is the Teshigawara storyline. They touched on it at the end of one episode and never want back. I don't think I missed another episode, you never know though.
Yeah, I remember the anime having a bit of a breather... but I only got a few episodes in. You know, I just realized that there was an earlier adaptation of GTO that came out in the 90s... how does this show compare to that one?

I'm surprised about the Yakuza/tattoo story being original though. It seems to fit right in anyway.

That's because it is good.
I don't know about that...

But guys who want a tsundere don't want to put in in, they want to play with themselves on the couch!
So true. lol

Dresden

sengoku collection - 23

It was . . . good. Surprisingly so. The somber presentation coupled with the mock-serious treatment of a rather mundane event (analogous to historical conflicts perhaps? I'm not familiar at all with Tsunehisa Amago, he wasn't featured in the Sengoku Basara anime) was quite entertaining. Asides from that really pedo eyecatch and all the baggage that comes with being a part of sencolle, it was pretty classy stuff.

I think I might check out episode 21 later, but asides from that, not feeling the need to go deeper into the abyss.

Necrovex

Sword Art Online 9 and 10

sword-art-online-ep-10-pre-release-001-614x345.jpg

The opening intro spoiled the fight. It took all the tension away, since I knew Kirito would win! Gah! Don't put spoiler-type aspects into a theme song intro! Look at Space Bros, it can resist that temptation!

The show is certainly getting better. This show isn't anything to write home about, but I am certainly enjoying my time with it. I have a weak-spot for these type of shows. I will watch this all the way to the end, for better or for worse.

Also, it is certain that Team Asuna will win this war. Suck it, every other (inferior) team!

Kirito ruined the ideal opportunity to finally lose his virgin status. I also wish life would allow us to randomly regenerate our hands.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looking up Natsuiro no Kiseki made me remember that there was an OVA. It was basically 6 minutes of them explaining where they were a few years after the end of the anime, so in that respect it was rather pointless, but it gave them to perfect chance to do a title drop in show:
Daw.

Firemind

You do know that tsunderes have a dere mode, right?

That's what makes them cute.
And hot and bothered.

People say Asuna isn't cute this, isn't cute that.

There hasn't been a lot of convincing arguments so far.

wonzo

Banned
SAO is to this thread what the Big 3 (more specifically TOBIIIIIII) is to the manga thread.

Poyopoyo 36

poyopoyo: the dating sim

Thanks wonzo, my gif software shits out on hi10p so I probably wasn't going to be able to help cosmic. OceanBlue gave me instructions on how to fix my gif problem a few weeks ago and I suppose it's high time that I take his advice.
Nowadays I usually use SMPlayer or CCCP's ffdshow grab feature to capture the frames and them stack import em in Photoshop, followed by Making Frames from Layers, adding timings, deleting frames etc

Excellent, thanks! Think you can do some ones of action scenes without being super spoilery (though I guess there wouldn't be much spoilery stuff if seen out of context)? I want to give the best representation of the awesome as possible for the thread.
Yeah, I'll get around to making some more later.

No, that was Summer Miracle... or whatever it was called.
Ah yeah, Natsuiro no Kiseki. It's basically Tamayura-lite. (or Diet Tamayura)

Well I'll be damned!

I guess now I'll re-ask the same question under a different context... Is Tamayura a good watch? Also is Natsuiro no Kiseki a good watch? I feel those two animes just past me by... I'm only even thinking about one of them because of my desire to watch more thing like Kokoro Connect (which when I saw the title originally, I thought would be a sequal to Kokoro Library :p ) but since it's turning out not to be the case, I sure wouldn't mind throwing something(s) different into the hopper.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
sengoku collection - 23

It was . . . good. Surprisingly so. The somber presentation coupled with the mock-serious treatment of a rather mundane event (analogous to historical conflicts perhaps? I'm not familiar at all with Tsunehisa Amago, he wasn't featured in the Sengoku Basara anime) was quite entertaining. Asides from that really pedo eyecatch and all the baggage that comes with being a part of sencolle, it was pretty classy stuff.

I think I might check out episode 21 later, but asides from that, not feeling the need to go deeper into the abyss.

The only person in the Amago clan that I'm aware of is Amago Haruhisa, who was actually a non-playable character in Sengoku Basara 3. If you've played the game, you may recall him as the guy with the desert level who tunnels under the sand to attack and escape. As evidenced by this episode, there is at least some connection between the Amago clan and sand.

The events of the episode didn't match any known era of conflict that I know of--I suppose they were slightly more similar to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms than the Sengoku Era simply by virtue of there being three factions--but as duckroll discovered, every episode of Sengoku Collection is basically a reference to one or more films and I have zero cinema knowledge so it's probably better to ask him about it since he has a list of homages that people on 2ch have compiled.

So how old are the SAO cast?

idolmaster 19

Seriously fuck the baddies. I've seen more interesting baddies in kids show on american tv.

Next eps looks promising, wonder what's up with chihaya.

Defuser

You do know that tsunderes have a dere mode, right?

That's what makes them cute.
And hot and bothered.

People say Asuna isn't cute this, isn't cute that.

There hasn't been a lot of convincing arguments so far.
y
You just made 2 wrongs. Asuna sucks and she isn't tsundere. Stop using the word tsundere wrongly.

y
You just made 2 wrongs. Asuna sucks and she isn't tsundere. Stop using the word tsundere wrongly.

how well does she suck?

btw: with how much health and what not you probably have in your lvl 80s -90s.

could you bang all night long nonstop with some vitality gear/traits?

cajunator

Banned
Allow me to clarify something, at least with how I judge waifus.
When I join a team it doesn't mean I think that the girl will end up with the mc, because MCs normally prefer the boring girl.
Team/best in my case means "I have deemed this girl to be superior waifu material".
These distinctions are important.

-Minsc-

Yeah, I remember the anime having a bit of a breather... but I only got a few episodes in. You know, I just realized that there was an earlier adaptation of GTO that came out in the 90s... how does this show compare to that one?

I'm surprised about the Yakuza/tattoo story being original though. It seems to fit right in anyway.

The original TV drama had it's share of differences, just as the current one does. Like the anime, the manga was still ongoing at the time. Both drama's had certain, and at times different, elements which were faithful to the manga. I was pleased to see Onizuka's german suplex in the 2012 adaptation which was absent in the 90's drama. Fun fact (maybe fact): The facial expressions for Onizuka in the anime were modelled off Sorimachi Takashi, the actor for Onizuka in the first drama.

When I think back, there was a story with the son of a Yakuza in the manga only it was completely different.
The son was a hikikimori and it was Onizuka's task to bring him back to school.

Firemind

Allow me to clarify something, at least with how I judge waifus.
When I join a team it doesn't mean I think that the girl will end up with the mc, because MCs normally prefer the boring girl.
Team/best in my case means "I have deemed this girl to be superior waifu material".
These distinctions are important.

But you've said she isn't cute and I want to know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom