• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least she got to beat him up a little afterwards.

It's funny how the show will go from serious action to ecchi commedy, and sometimes within the same scene. Maybe that's why I like it.

Yeah, I didn't really play it too much on the hardest difficulty. The fifth mission had you going down a tunnel before the doors closed and on the highest difficulty you had about, literally, one second of error room. You pretty much had to play it perfectly and it took me probably about fifty tries before I nailed that second error gap.

Have you ever played the arcade version? I had a chance once a few years ago and it was just as bullshit as the GCN version.

Yeah, I suppose new shows being shorter helps, but even then, if I don't watch it when it airs, it becomes backlog fodder. Honestly, I'm still surprised that I managed to catch up with Breaking Bad or Friday Night Lights. I wanted to write them off, but there was just too much love for both that I couldn't do it.

I suppose if Slate or NPR or AV Culture Club or all the other usual places started doing anime podcasts and kept pushing a great show week after week, it'd be something. But thankfully, most Americans ignore anime (outside of the esteemed ANNCast), so other than people here declaring their love for a random Sengoku Collection episode, there's not really any pressure to watch any of this stuff.

Heck, Slam Dunk is still technically a show I want to watch, simply because of its historical significance as an "important anime", but I can't bring myself to do it. I even gave One Piece the good old college try, and I haven't felt the need to go back after that first arc. Or come to think of it, Utena. lol

Out of curiosity, are you like this with movies too, where you can't bring yourself to go back to older ones you haven't seen? Or is it just with TV shows?

Would Detective Conan count?

I don't think Conan falls into the kind of protagonist firehawk is looking for. That said, I'm pretty sure manga along those lines does exist, though I'm not knowledgeable enough in that area to point to specific series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I decided to take a look at the first episode of this and it was really weird not only in general but the fact that the hamster was voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi/Sailor Moon) and the office worker lady who beat the heck out of the hamster quite a bit was voiced by Michie Tomizawa (Rei/Sailor Mars), it was just really strange to hear those two in voice roles of that nature. Although Mitsuishi does the voice of Misato in Evangelion and the half of the show that I saw she wasn't really the purest of souls either so maybe it's not that strange.
Well, if Wikipedia is to be believed, Mitsuishi is the primary reason the show was animated in the first place. She was reading it and laughing as they were recording her lines for Evangelion and got the staff there interested in the manga. So I suppose it'd be fitting that they'd let her take on the leading role. :)

I don't really hate Ichiko. I enjoy the back and forth between her and Momiji.
She's not a bad character per se, she's just a horrible human being. In the same way as, say, I would find it impossible to enjoy a certain character on Breaking Bad this season. The difference is that Breaking Bad had 4 years to build up to that while Binbougami Ga starts off with the main character being a horrible human being.

Welp, that's that.

I guess I can still watch it just for the animation.

Clear Eyes, Full Heart, Can't Lose...against your backlog.
lol
Also, I think you posted that twice!
(Also, fucking Peter Berg... I watched Battleship because of him!)

My life is lacking in SAO it feels empty.
You just need a good lay.

I honestly have no idea since I've never seen it. I would say that shows like everything on USA network (Psyche, Suits, Leverage, Common Law, whatever) and all the other shows everywhere else (Justified, Breaking Bad, The Mentalist, Person of Interest, Elementary, and so on) have something in common with Lupin III, based on the three episodes of Fujiko that I saw.

Hell, even the generic shit like CSI and NCIS have gotten into the broken-genius character trope now, because having an isolated and standoff-ish leading man be enigmatic while solving crimes makes everything much more interesting.
(NCIS: LA has a character whose first name is simply "G", because he can't find any trace of his personal history. lol)

I just don't think anime is all that interested in going in that direction. I suppose Un-Go and Dantalian are like that as well, but they have to strive off into fantasy scifi junk in order to make it appealing to nerds.

Like, you can easily imagine a version of Hyouka where Oreki is "The Mentalist" and the rest of the cast are the hapless normal police officers standing around while Oreki solves the crime. I mean, that's basically what Elementary is - Oreki is Sherlock, Chitanda is Watson (or Lucy Liu lol), and they go around solving mysteries and having not-quite sexual tension with each other while Sherlock breaks down because he's anti-social.

It's funny though, because I find dead bodies to be as "boring" as some people find the mysteries in Hyouka, but I guess I can understand why some people would want the stakes to be much higher, even if the outcome is exactly the same.

Lurky

Im more afraid of that happening to Kirito
He already escaped death twice :( No way he can escape a third time

Unless kirito
is death himself!
But more importantly,
what was with that arm thing? Asuna made it sound so dramatic and in the next scene it grew back. Unless she was referencing the fact that he just killed someone. But who gives a fuck about that since he was already forced to join a guild?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

The only problem with Conan in this context is that he's not especially aloof or stand-off ish. Arrogant as fuck, sure. But not aloof.

While he doesn't solve mysteries, I'd say the closest anime character I can think of to the broken-genius is Captain Tylor. But even then he's not broken as much as he just appears to be insane or unconnected to reality most of the time. Emphasis on "appears".

Unless kirito
is death himself!
But more importantly,
what was with that arm thing? Asuna made it sound so dramatic and in the next scene it grew back. Unless she was referencing the fact that he just killed someone. But who gives a fuck about that since he was already forced to join a guild?

How can you forget about eps with best girl? Kirito got some hax regen gear.

Just grows shit back like Buu.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Unless kirito
is death himself!
But more importantly,

Dismemberment is a condition in the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Out of curiosity, are you like this with movies too, where you can't bring yourself to go back to older ones you haven't seen? Or is it just with TV shows?
It's easier to go back and watch films because for the most part, I don't feel the need to watch films day one anyway so there isn't the zeitgeist pressure to keep up. Also, films aren't that great a commitment time-wise, so I can say, watch the entire film output of Michael Winterbottom or Terrance Malick in a week and feel like I've gotten a varied experience... whereas I don't know if I could do the same with 50 episodes of One Piece or whatever.
(Actually, I did this recently with Abbas Kiarostami, because of Certified Copy and because of former prof's newish love of Iranian filmmakers).

Although, strangely enough, I've become such a big fan of television that I just don't make film a huge priority anymore. So my reluctance to watch old films has more to do with the fact that I'd rather be watching the new Treme or Boardwalk Empire rather than any reluctance to go back into the catalog.

For anime in particular, it was easier when I was first starting and the idea of "airing" anime just wasn't something that occurred to me - so I watched Aria all the way through like four or five times. Nowadays, I find it miraculous that I took the time to watch through all of Gintama.

You think there aren't manga with broken and smart protagonists solving mysteries? I'm pretty sure that's an entire sub-genre.
I'm genuinely curious - what is the manga that is closest to House? Doesn't necessarily have to be a Sherlock Holmes turned into a doctor, but you know what I mean - dude's a genius, treats everyone like shit because he doesn't want to get close to anyone, but has people who care about him anyway because they understand that deep down inside, he's not that bad of a guy.

The only problem with Conan in this context is that he's not especially aloof or stand-off ish. Arrogant as fuck, sure. But not aloof.

While he doesn't solve mysteries, I'd say the closest anime character I can think of to the broken-genius is Captain Tylor. But even then he's not broken as much as he just appears to be insane or unconnected to reality most of the time. Emphasis on "appears".
I meant to watch Captain Taylor, because I heard it was a scifi comedy in the vein of Nadesico. It's another backlog show. lol

Although I have a feeling that's more like Time Jam, where the hero is "broken", but more in the Han Solo, roguish hero sense and less in the "actually" broken sense.

Oda Nobuna 7
Glk4E.jpg

You're not who I'm looking for!
So many lolis, and they all seem to hang around Sagara too, much to his despair.
Not much happens this episode, just an intro for the new antagonists and new setting. Next episode looks like a pure fan service episode. Looks like fun.

Well, my problem with Dead Leaves wasn't the animation but just how juvenile it was. This movie didn't suffer from that at all.

I don't know, I thought Hells Angels was hella juvenile in its presentation. It just didn't focus on innuendo as much.

I'm surprised that you can't think of any other reasons aside from animation and pacing style that might cause someone to dislike Dead Leaves, such as...

I just feel that over the top kind of implies juvenile. I mean I liked the story in both Hells Angels and Dead Leaves, but I don't imagine it as a selling point for either, though I do guess the former tackles more relateable themes with some kind of consistency while the latter is pretty much insanity for insanity's sake (which there isn't anything wrong with).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I meant to watch Captain Taylor, because I heard it was a scifi comedy in the vein of Nadesico. It's another backlog show. lol

Although I have a feeling that's more like Time Jam, where the hero is "broken", but more in the Han Solo, roguish hero sense and less in the "actually" broken sense.

Tylor >>>> Nadesico IMO. I highly recommend it! :D

But it is somewhat similar in that the main character does things that everyone else thinks is nuts/crazy, but things always seem to work out due to Tylor's incredible luck. But as the show goes on, it becomes clear that while luck is a major factor to Tylor's successful rise, it's not the only factor and there's a hidden genius in there that all of the side characters are trying to wrap their head around.

I'm genuinely curious - what is the manga that is closest to House? Doesn't necessarily have to be a Sherlock Holmes turned into a doctor, but you know what I mean - dude's a genius, treats everyone like shit because he doesn't want to get close to anyone, but has people who care about him anyway because they understand that deep down inside, he's not that bad of a guy.

Probably Black Jack, which preceded House by 31 years, so there's gotta be a ton of stuff like that before House even entered the conception phases.

Sword Art Online - 10

So are Kirito and Asuna done with the guild? Or do they just get a little time to relax since they were just attacked by a crazy guild-member?

Narag

Probably Black Jack, which preceded House by 31 years, so there's gotta be a ton of stuff like that before House even entered the conception phases.

I bought the first volume of that back in the day and wish I'd bought more. I liked the medical aspect of it and the stuff he could pull off and it's amusing, in retrospect, to realize he built a loli out of spare parts.

I do want to hit up the anime sometime as all I've seen is the movie released a few years back in NA.

wonzo

Banned
I don't know, I thought Hells Angels was hella juvenile in its presentation. It just didn't focus on innuendo as much.
I should clarify that I was speaking purely about the innuendo. I really don't see how over the top animation could be considered juvenile at all nor would I call the plot childish, as nonsensical as it is.

survivor

Banned
I want to say Team Medical Dragon, but I can't say for sure cause I read it long time ago. Though I do remember the MC was this genius surgeon that they had to go out of their way to get him back into medicine.

cajunator

Banned

But it is somewhat similar in that the main character does things that everyone else thinks is nuts/crazy, but things always seem to work out due to Tylor's incredible luck. But as the show goes on, it becomes clear that while luck is a major factor to Tylor's successful rise, it's not the only factor and there's a hidden genius in there that all of the side characters are trying to wrap their head around.

This is like ranking two great shows 1a and 1b. I really enjoyed both classics immensely.
So much perfection.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Haha, yeah, that sounds like a classic golden age scifi hero. I have a feeling that he falls under a particular trope as defined by TVTropes, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Well, I mean, House is basically an admitted "homage" to Sherlock Holmes anyway, as I think Hyouka is (given all the mentions of Holmes). I never claimed it was original... it's just the one that sticks out in my mind as the obvious example.

I suppose the recent "modernization" of Sherlock on the BBC works as well as an example as well.

Also, Black Jack sounds exactly like the money lender guy from Yakuza 4, in terms of his code for helping people. Go figure. lol

I want to say Team Medical Dragon, but I can't say for sure cause I read it long time ago. Though I do remember the MC was this genius surgeon that they had to go out of their way to get him back into medicine.
I hope I didn't come off as asking necessarily for medical mangas. I mean, I dunno... if you watch House, you know what House is like. He's a giant asshole who, at times, is incapable of human emotions because that drastically interferes with his identity as a doctor. Both modern TV interpretations of Sherlock Holmes approach the character the same way.

(And come to think of it, I would say that the Guy Ritchie version of Sherlock is basically where anime is now in terms of just playing it safe because you want to sell movie tickets).

I should clarify that I was speaking purely about the innuendo. I really don't see how over the top animation could be considered juvenile at all nor would I call the plot childish, as nonsensical as it is.

I guess the whole "WE'RE IN HELL, SO LET'S ROCK OUT!" screams juvenile to me, but I've never used the word "juvenile" as a negative in the first place, so what do I know.

Necrovex

Unless kirito
is death himself!
But more importantly,

It would be justified for Kirito to leave the guild when he can simply say, "Well, one of your members attempted to MURDER me when I was with one of your stronger guys. Yeah, we had a deal, but your guild is fucked up, and I won't die for your silliness. Sayoonara."

Lurky

It would be justified for Kirito to leave the guild when he can simply say, "Well, one of your members attempted to MURDER me when I was with one of your stronger guys. Yeah, we had a deal, but your guild is fucked up, and I won't die for your silliness. Sayoonara."

I actually hope he does do that.
The jacket they gave him was way too tacky looking.

Well, I mean, House is basically an admitted "homage" to Sherlock Holmes anyway, as I think Hyouka is (given all the mentions of Holmes). I never claimed it was original... it's just the one that sticks out in my mind as the obvious example.

I suppose the recent "modernization" of Sherlock on the BBC works as well as an example as well.

Also, Black Jack sounds exactly like the money lender guy from Yakuza 4, in terms of his code for helping people. Go figure. lol

So do you just want detective stuff? Because that's kind of its own genre. There's even a section for Sherlock Holmes himself (albeit a small one).

And if you want medical manga, there's a bunch of that too.

what was that show with the demon detective dude that always trolls on the girl sidekick?

Soma

Sword Art Online Episode 10

ibvgqorR27Wtub.jpg
ibvp9hMvVPhVYW.jpg

RANK UP! Asuna Social Link has reached level 10!

You shared a special evening with Asuna.

Y'know besides the oddly fast pacing, the cheesiness, and the plot armor I'm kind of liking the direction the show has taken. The duel scene was pretty great though I wish it went on a bit longer. The end of it was pretty bullshit too! Oh well. I hope there will be more action scenes like that in the future. The second half was interesting though what was about to go down was pretty damn obvious.
Poor beard dude. What did he do to deserve that? ;_;
. A lot of the events in this episode felt really rushed, which in turn kinda killed some of the drama, but not gonna lie I enjoyed it despite that.

I'm hoping the story continues to stay entertaining.

survivor

Banned
I hope I didn't come off as asking necessarily for medical mangas. I mean, I dunno... if you watch House, you know what House is like. He's a giant asshole who, at times, is incapable of human emotions because that drastically interferes with his identity as a doctor. Both modern TV interpretations of Sherlock Holmes approach the character the same way.

(And come to think of it, I would say that the Guy Ritchie version of Sherlock is basically where anime is now in terms of just playing it safe because you want to sell movie tickets).

Oh yeah I know, but it's just hard trying to find Japanese equivalents of House or Will McAvoy. BTW, there is a manga based on the BBC Sherlock coming out soon. So I guess there is that lol

Necrovex

I actually hope he does do that.
The jacket they gave him was way too tacky looking.

My metrosexual self was in a raging fit after seeing Kirito in his new outfit. It was an abomination and deserved to be tossed in a god-damn fireplace. I want him to dress up as Japanese MMO Batman again.

My metrosexual self was in a raging fit after seeing Kirito in his new outfit. It was an abomination and deserved to be tossed in a god-damn fireplace. I want him to dress up as Japanese MMO Batman again.

He looks way better in black, and the black cloak just looks epic. I hate the white and red for him, it seems against his character

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So do you just want detective stuff? Because that's kind of its own genre. There's even a section for Sherlock Holmes himself (albeit a small one).

And if you want medical manga, there's a bunch of that too.

I guess my thesis was that you can't sell a text with an inherently grumpy and unlikeable main character without grounding it in something else. For the sake of anime, it seems that you need to set it in high school because that's what everyone else does.
For American or British shows, you need either relationship angst or mysteries to solve to make up for the fact that the lead is an asshole who treats everyone else like they're inherently inferior to him in some way.

Of course, Oreki isn't full asshole - he's just anti-social, but still. I have to imagine the high school hook is why a lot of people would have gravitated to the text in the first place.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh yeah I know, but it's just hard trying to find Japanese equivalents of House or Will McAvoy. BTW, there is a manga based on the BBC Sherlock coming out soon. So I guess there is that lol
HOLY FUCK.

BBroo.jpg

Moe Cumberbatch is so moe. I want him on a body pillow.
(Freeman ain't looking too hot though... poor Bilbo Baggins).

Also, this makes so much sense:
gN6v0.jpg

Even nerds can't handle something as simple as that in their anime. They gotta go the jdrama route. lol

It works for House!
Sure, but House is premised on the case of the week. I'm sure they've done episodes where there isn't actually a body for them to look at, but that's a rare occasion.

Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners Movie 1

Was a bit cautious to take another anime suggestion from a friend, but fortunately this was not a P&S affair, but an actually interesting anime of sorts. The plot was alright and really intriguing that kept me hooked largely for the whole part, and a few parts really dragged but my keep the dialogue intriguing and keeping me asking questions wanting to know more it reeled me back in and had be caught. I do like the supernatural to some extent, as long as its not creepy or scary, cant handle frightening stuff, but this stayed on the intriguing supernatural.
The whole suicide thing was intense and then the flying people but I liked how it was handle with decent Shiki showing that she means business risking her arm in the first scuffle and then just obliterating everything else on the second attempt, rewatched the scene twice
. Camera was awkward, it was always focusing on random stuff no one cares about, origami during conversations, zoomed out city scapes, water puddles etc, random.

Mikiya for best character, so many funny lines and riddles, hope he gets more screentime in further ones? Touka had a few decent lines too "flying or falling into the sky" memorable. Though for a main Shiki was boring. 6/10.

Sword Art Online - 10

So are Kirito and Asuna done with the guild? Or do they just get a little time to relax since they were just attacked by a crazy guild-member?

They are on vacation or honeymoon if you prefer.

thats' exactly what will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom