• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sometimes I wonder how Sentai makes money, by licensing the less popular series, but then again, Im buying stuff from them like Brighter than the Dawning Blue and Akikan, so maybe they are.

Gosh Sentai is getting so much of my money
Phi Brain
Medaka Box
Tsuritama
Hiiro no Kakera
Horizon II
Hakuoki Reimeiroku
Campione
Arcana Famiglia
Kokoro Connect
Koi to Senkyo To Chocolate

Ive been hoping that would be licensed for so long.

I dunno!

I don't think their shows are that unpopular. I'll be grabbing Kokoro Connect at least.

Novid

Banned
Sometimes I wonder how Sentai makes money, by licensing the less popular series, but then again, Im buying stuff from them like Brighter than the Dawning Blue and Akikan, so maybe they are.

you do know about leverage do you. They took out a massive loan, then hope they can pay it back within a few years.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sword Art Online - 2 and 3

BGBW.gif

Maybe it's just me, but people really don't seem to give a shit that dying in this game will = no more real life.

Also
did red haired dude and his friends slaughter that entire clan? If so then they also didn't seem to give a damn!

There hasn't been much I've bought from them since they were ADV, but there is more coming from them (such as Horizon and Persona 4) that I'll be picking up. Still need to grab K-On S2 as well.

Branduil

yessir, I found Pazu's deep voice quite offputting, put I could put up with it for better BGM.

Disney actually had Hisaishi redo the entire soundtrack when they dubbed the film in 1999.

"According to Disney's staff, foreigners (non-Japanese) feel uncomfortable if there is no music for more than 3 minutes (laughs). You see this in the Western movies, which have music throughout. Especially, it is the natural state for a (non-Japanese) animated film to have music all the time. However in the original Laputa, there is only one-hour worth of music in the 2 hour 4 minute movie. There are parts that do not have any music for 7 to 8 minutes. So, we decided to redo the music as (the existing soundtrack) will not be suitable for (the markets) outside of Japan.

"If we just add new music, it won't go well with the music made in 14 years ago. So we completely re-recorded everything. Of course, we can not demolish the melody of Laputa, so I changed the arrangement of it while keeping its integrity.

"The American way of putting music in a movie is basically very simple. They just match the music with the characters. For example, when the army shows up on screen, you hear the army's theme. The music explains the screen images--that is the point of Hollywood music. Until this time, I avoided such an approach, as I felt that it would make music dull, although I understand such an approach. But when I redid (the music of Laputa this way), I learned a lot.

I find the re-recorded soundtrack greatly superior, it fits the adventure-movie tone of Laputa much better and is less dated.

Joe Molotov

Hey guys, I started Sword Art Online and that's pretty much the only anime I've started from this season.

Any recommendations? I don't have any specific genre in mind at the moment, so I'm pretty much open to anything that you guys consider decent this season.

YuruYuri

cajunator

Banned
There hasn't been much I've bought from them since they were ADV, but there is more coming from them (such as Horizon and Persona 4) that I'll be picking up. Still need to grab K-On S2 as well.

I think K-on will be their main bread and butter for now.
Also they happily licensed TWGOK season 1 and 2 which now grace my shelf and make it just that much cuter.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh for those that didn't know. The posters I linked are only availabe in Japan as a pre-order bonus meaning you won't get it in the US version. Probably.

Sword Art Online - 2 and 3

Also
did red haired dude and his friends slaughter that entire clan? If so then they also didn't seem to give a damn!
Yeah, I found the contrast between the humanization of The Black Cat and the faceless mook syndrome of the Holy Dragon Alliance to be really jarring.

It could be argued that
Klein and co were only able to kill the Holy Dragon Alliance dudes so easily because of their likeness to generic trash mobs,
but that doesn't really make the scene work much better for me.

Kazzy

Castle In The Sky

The localization wasn't that great, lots of untranslated lines.

They generally have two separate subtitle tracks, one for the dub, and for one for the original Japanese. Well, at least they do in the UK Ghibli sets that I have.

Wow, you haven't watched Porco Rosso?! I know what you should watch next in that case, it's unequivocally brilliant.

kayos90

Yeah, I found the contrast between the humanization of The Black Cat and the faceless mook syndrome of the Holy Dragon Alliance to be really jarring.

It could be argued that
Klein and co were only able to kill the Holy Dragon Alliance dudes so easily because of their likeness to generic trash mobs,
but that doesn't really make the scene work much better for me.

It went down differently in the LN. I could explain it if you'd like.

cajunator

Banned
Oh for those that didn't know. The posters I linked are only availabe in Japan as a pre-order bonus meaning you won't get it in the US version. Probably.

It would be nice, but I doubt it as well. But isnt the release the same in both the US and Japanese version of the show? The first boxsets were identical apparently.

kayos90

It would be nice, but I doubt it as well. But isnt the release the same in both the US and Japanese version of the show? The first boxsets were identical apparently.

The core package is the same. The US version just comes with a booklet translating stuff.

Does that mean all but the sports anime (Kuroko Basketball Ginga e Kickoff and Area no Kishi) and Hyouka/Tanken Driland, airing this season, are licensed (for possible home video release)?

cajunator

Banned
The core package is the same. The US version just comes with a booklet translating stuff.

Probably so. I don't care so much about posters. I already dont have enough room to display the 30+ wallscrolls I have bought. Im too lazy to rotate displaying them anyway.

Sentai has SUPER CHEAP releases, with not even an insert in the case or inside artwork. Its pretty sad, but if it keeps them afloat, then I guess its alright.

kayos90

Probably so. I don't care so much about posters. I already dont have enough room to display the 30+ wallscrolls I have bought. Im too lazy to rotate displaying them anyway.

Sentai has SUPER CHEAP releases, with not even an insert in the case or inside artwork. Its pretty sad, but if it keeps them afloat, then I guess its alright.

You have to admit that those posters are pretty BA though.

Novid

Banned

Of course it sad.

cajunator

Banned
I also just placed an order for Infinite Ryvius thanks to recommendations. It looks like the best of the sci fi genre that I dont have yet. Unfortunately Scryed is long out of print so I'll have to resort to Ebay for that :(

kayos90

Watch out team silica

554582_449007751811036_1557206734_n.jpg

I also just placed an order for Infinite Ryvius thanks to recommendations. It looks like the best of the sci fi genre that I dont have yet. Unfortunately Scryed is long out of print so I'll have to resort to Ebay for that :(

Well I think it got a Blu ray release and an Alteration release or something, perhaps it will be picked up in the US?

Last thing I ordered was Hakuoki S1 and Fafner Blu Ray and the Movie (hope both are good, seemed to have cool looking cover).

kayos90

Well I think it got a Blu ray release and an Alteration release or something, perhaps it will be picked up in the US?

Last thing I ordered was Hakuoki S1 and Fafner Blu Ray and the Movie (hope both are good, seemed to have cool looking cover).

Fafner movie was bad. It's just... blegh...

Same problem here between that and all my figures. A lot of them are still in packaging until I can move to a place with more room to display everything I want to.

I'll be curious to see what you think of Ryvius when you get that. I'm up through episode 16...pretty good so far, but I'm going to wait until I'm finished before organizing my thoughts on it as a whole.

You have to admit that those posters are pretty BA though.

Yeah, that's some pretty damn good artwork. Oh well.

cajunator

Banned
Same problem here between that and all my figures. A lot of them are still in packaging until I can move to a place with more room to display everything I want to.

I'll be curious to see what you think of Ryvius when you get that. I'm up through episode 16...pretty good so far, but I'm going to wait until I'm finished before organizing my thoughts on it as a whole.

Yeah, that's some pretty damn good artwork. Oh well.

Exactly the problem I had until recently. I bought a nice curio cabinet to display them all and I love how it worked out, althougH I may actually need another one soon.
Particularly when Ultimate Madoka, Kyoko, and Princess of the Crystal figures are released because those will take up a LOT of space by themselves.

Hey guys, I started Sword Art Online and that's pretty much the only anime I've started from this season.

Any recommendations? I don't have any specific genre in mind at the moment, so I'm pretty much open to anything that you guys consider decent this season.

It's from last season, but check out Accel World. It's by the same author and may or may not take place in the same world. Similar concept too, but it's an online fighting game that doesn't kill you instead of an MMORPG that does.

kayos90

It's from last season, but check out Accel World. It's by the same author and may or may not take place in the same world. Similar concept too, but it's an online fighting game that doesn't kill you instead of an MMORPG that does.

It has a better girl than SAO. Plus it's duckroll approved.*

* = Some episodes are not approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom