• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

Ultimadrago... I feel like a huge dick for doing this right after talking to you. But you made me think of Nichijou again, so I had to take a second and sketch something before bed. I'll probably do a finished version later when I find the time to do so <3 Yuuko

1178396-8KKTTB9.jpg

#ArtBoner

cajunator

Banned
Extollere, what kind of tools do you use? Obviously some sort of drawing tablet.
I'd seriouslyl ike to get into this sort of art, but I have no idea where to start.
I'm still drawing the old fashioned way. I'm such a dinosaur.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Can't speak for Extollere, but I use a WACOM Intuos 4 (Med. size) and for programs I primarily use openCanvas 4.5.

I also use photoshop for layer setup and color pallete selection, touch up work and minor effects.

Though my art usually starts w/ a pencil drawing.

I know you're being flippant because it's the anime thread, but you're kind of missing the whole point of the first two episodes there... that
Utena has absolutely no interest in Anthy being her "slave", unlike Saionji.
Even though
Utena doesn't want Anthy to be her waifuslave
she still is.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hey guys, I started Sword Art Online and that's pretty much the only anime I've started from this season.

Any recommendations? I don't have any specific genre in mind at the moment, so I'm pretty much open to anything that you guys consider decent this season.

Tari Tari
Yuru Yuri Season 2
Binbougami ga
Oda Nobuna

cajunator

Banned
Even though
Utena doesn't want Anthy to be her waifuslave
she still is.

Exactly! What Utena wants her to be does not change what she actually is.

Can't speak for Extollere, but I use a WACOM Intuos 4 (Med. size) and for programs I primarily use openCanvas 4.5.

I also use photoshop for layer setup and color pallete selection, touch up work and minor effects.

Though my art usually starts w/ a pencil drawing.

That sounds awesome. How much do those devices normally set you back?

RurouniZel

That sounds awesome. How much do those devices normally set you back?

Wacom tablet was $350. I don't know about the Intuos5.

openCanvas is about $75 and is my primary coloring tool.

The full Photoshop is stupidly expensive. I got it cheap when a Student/Teacher edition was on sale 'cause my Mother's a teacher.

Going from traditional drawing to a tablet takes some getting used to it. Unless you get one with a screen on it, but those ones are quite a bit more pricey.

RurouniZel

Going from traditional drawing to a tablet takes some getting used to it. Unless you get one with a screen on it, but those ones are quite a bit more pricey.

I admit that I SUCK at drawing on a tablet. Coloring I'm okay, but I'm horrible at drawing on a tablet. >_>

If only Cintiqs weren't so goddamn expensive!

Novid

Banned
Tora-chan to Hanayome

More Tora-chan from 1948, this time some older sibling of Tora-chan is getting married but grandfather is coming to put a stop to it as he won't allow the marriage so long as he's alive. Members of the ceremony take off to the church complete it before he arrives and it's up to Tora-chan and Miike to buy some time in order to save the wedding.

This was another pleasant watch like the first one although I was a little disappointed they got away from the musical bits from the first movie. The physical comedy with the kids & the grandfather nearly made up for it though.

Its fasinating to look at how the the animaton from this period compared to say, the Argeintine, French and American ones. For one of the proto works, this uses a lot of the rubber hose animation style, while Chuck Jones was using limited, and Tex Avery/Joe Hanna/Bill Barbera were using full - Jones and the rest were pure comedic talents, while these dudes were pure dramatics, and you see the result of this today in many ways.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Castle In The Sky

Such an amazing movie, I only wish I had seen it sooner. :(

The one aspect that really felt lacking was the BGM, it was dull synth for the most part. :(

Also, I wish
that they had shown a flashforward to Pazu's completed plane.

The localization wasn't that great, lots of untranslated lines.

Apart from those quibbles, everything else was great. Practically every scene
after they reached Laputa was perfect, I loved the last shot of the robot and his friends walking along the path.

cajunator

Banned
Castle In The Sky

The one aspect that really felt lacking was the BGM, it was dull synth for the most part. :(

Also, I wish

after they reached Laputa was perfect, I loved the last shot of the robot and his friends walking along the path.

Yeah its a great movie. I honestly fell asleep the first two times I watched it, but I made sure to watch it right after waking up last time and it ended up being an amazing movie. It just starts out kind of slow and I zone out. But it rewards patience.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah its a great movie. I honestly fell asleep the first two times I watched it, but I made sure to watch it right after waking up last time and it ended up being an amazing movie. It just starts out kind of slow and I zone out. But it rewards patience.

I'm disappointed in you. :( There wasn't anything slow about the start. :(

Also,
dramatic haircut at the end was a definite improvement over those pigtails.

Theonik

If you watched the Disney Bluray those were dubtitles hence the untranslated lines. A very odd decision since their Japanese release had proper Japanese subtitles as well and so do their other Ghibli BD releases.
If like me you remux everything there is a relatively easy fix for this though

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If you watched the Disney Bluray those were dubtitles hence the untranslated lines. A very odd decision since their Japanese release had proper Japanese subtitles as well and so do their other Ghibli BD releases.
If like me you remux everything there is a relatively easy fix for this though

It was the Disney DVD, but I guess they wouldn't change their subtitles. Yes, I figured out early on they were subtitles for the English track, but that still doesn't change the fact that they left numerous lines untranslated.

Theonik

It was the Disney DVD, but I guess they wouldn't change their subtitles. Yes, I figured out early on they were subtitles for the English track, but that still doesn't change the fact that they left numerous lines untranslated.
Completely different script! and yes it really is jarring. Made watching it difficult when I attempted to just watch the BD.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Completely different script! and yes it really is jarring. Made watching it difficult when I attempted to just watch the BD.

I certainly hope it wasn't completely different! :p Movie was good enough that the awkward localization didn't hurt it, though.

Cajun, I was enjoying the Eng dub, but Pazu's english voice was really offputting, it was way too deep for a young kid like him.

RurouniZel

Castle In The Sky

Also, I wish

Castle in the Sky is my favorite Miyazaki movie!

Theonik

I dont understand, Disney dubs are different then other dubs?
Disney tends to hire more well known voice talent than the usual "Just get Christina Vee on every role" that some other anime dubs like to do. Not that I like that difference because well known actors aren't necessarily good casts! Nausicaa had Patrick Stewart and Umma Thurman for example as well as Mark Hammil.

I certainly hope it wasn't completely different! :p Movie was good enough that the awkward localization didn't hurt it, though.
Well not completely different like say Ghost stories but substantially different. Lots of reworked, removed and added lines. Getting external subs is a must imo.
On the positive note, their release does look great regardless, not as good as the JP one but!

Disney dubs have a pretty sizeable budget and star power behind them. they aren't phoned in and you can tell they put thought into the roles and expressing them.

I dont think they left that much of an impression that would exceed that of most anime dubs, I guess the last one I saw was ponyo and if we go actors...was Frankie Jonas and Noah Cyrus really...well star power?

Actually it seems Ive only seen Ponyo, Spirited Away, and the moving castle?

cajunator

Banned
They also take great care in making certain Japanese-only phrases more understandable to an American audience. For example, in Princess Mononoke, Jiko describes a soup he doesn't like. In the original script he says "this soup tastes like water" which is very offensive to a Japanese cook because it means the soup is awful. Americans don't think of a watery flavor as particularly awful, so to emphasize that the soup was disgusting he says "this soup tastes like donkey piss".

cajunator

Banned
I don't like GOTF. It wasn't sad, it was frustrating because of the kid's pride. I know he was just a naive kid but it was still inexcuseable.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah, Grave of the Fireflies is not for me.

Nope, I haven't seen Porco Russo, I have only seen

Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
and now Castle in the Sky

And I got the Nausicaa DVD as well, so I will be watching that soon.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, Grave of the Fireflies is not for me.

Nope, I haven't seen Porco Russo, I have only seen

Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
and now Castle in the Sky

And I got the Nausicaa DVD as well, so I will be watching that soon.

Dude, Nausicaa is a TREAT. I love that movie so much!

Theonik

I haven't seen enough Ghibli movies to start ranking them. :(
I've only seen Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the heart, The Borrower's Arietty, Grave of the Fireflies and Castle in the Sky myself.
I blame Disney's shoddy BD release schedule.

BluWacky

I dont think they left that much of an impression that would exceed that of most anime dubs, I guess the last one I saw was ponyo and if we go actors...was Frankie Jonas and Noah Cyrus really...well star power?

They're pretty starry for a Disney audience - siblings of the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana - and the rest of the cast are big names like Tina Fey, Matt Damon, Liam Neeson etc. The Ghibli films have always used Hollywood actors instead of the usual VA crowd.

Whether that's for better or for worse I couldn't say, and I haven't watched enough of the Ghibli films more than once. I think the only one I've watched the dub of was Arrietty, which had an outstanding British dub, although I can't comment on the Disney version.

Novid

Banned

Actually it seems Ive only seen Ponyo, Spirited Away, and the moving castle?

Family Star Power if you want to get strict. Ponyo was...diffcult. I mean everything about the dub was fine, but this was Frankies and Noah's start and it wasnt that good. Spiritied Away is the best of the Disney dubs by far. Mononke came at a time when everybody and there mama wanted to beat 4Kids and Pokemon.

I don't like GOTF. It wasn't sad, it was frustrating because of the kid's pride. I know he was just a naive kid but it was still inexcuseable.

That was the point though. The author himself even said writing the novel was an apology to his sister who died during the war. That pride and not wanting to be a burden to others was burned into the culture at the time too and in many ways still is so its just as much a critique on Japanese society during WWII.

Novid

Banned
They're pretty starry for a Disney audience - siblings of the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana - and the rest of the cast are big names like Tina Fey, Matt Damon, Liam Neeson etc. The Ghibli films have always used Hollywood actors instead of the usual VA crowd.

Whether that's for better or for worse I couldn't say, and I haven't watched enough of the Ghibli films more than once. I think the only one I've watched the dub of was Arrietty, which had an outstanding British dub, although I can't comment on the Disney version.

The issue has been with Disney dubs is that they have all this ESPN capital - you might get a few who actually like the work but the work is lacking. I consider the Pokemon the Movie to be the best dub movie ever made because it was the biggest project 4Kids ever did and they knocked it out of the park.

Novid

Banned
I've only seen Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the heart, The Borrower's Arietty, Grave of the Fireflies and Castle in the Sky myself.
I blame Disney's shoddy BD release schedule.

Shoddy is a understatment. SLOWER THAN Molasses is more like it.

cajunator

Banned
That was the point though. The author himself even said writing the novel was an apology to his sister who died during the war. That pride and not wanting to be a burden to others was burned into the culture at the time too and in many ways still is so its just as much a critique on Japanese society during WWII.

That might be the case, but it ruined my sympathy for the characters as a result.

cajunator

Banned
Sometimes I wonder how Sentai makes money, by licensing the less popular series, but then again, Im buying stuff from them like Brighter than the Dawning Blue and Akikan, so maybe they are.

The North American anime licensing company Sentai Filmworks announced on Wednesday that it licensed the ongoing television anime series Love, Elections, & Chocolate (Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...works-adds-love-elections-and-chocolate-anime

Seeing DTL's recaps of this show every week really makes me want to watch it.

Gosh Sentai is getting so much of my money
Phi Brain
Medaka Box
Tsuritama
Hiiro no Kakera
Horizon II
Hakuoki Reimeiroku
Campione
Arcana Famiglia
Kokoro Connect
Koi to Senkyo To Chocolate

Ive been hoping that would be licensed for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom