• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
  • Ga-Rei: Zero
  • Witchblade
  • Madoka Magica
  • Code Gease
  • Geneshaft
  • Blue Gender
  • Basilisk
  • Berserk
  • Kurozuka
  • Gungrave
  • Gantz
  • Phantom Requium
  • Bokura no
  • Texhnolyze
  • Narutaru
  • Elven Lied
  • Saikano
  • Blassreiter
  • School Days
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • Broken Blade
  • Casshern Sins

If you just need something to cute to
  • Anything with the word Clannad in it
  • Grave of the Firefly
  • Fruit Basket
  • My Sister Momoko (havent seen yet but I heard the tears flow)
  • Air
  • Kanon
  • Shangri-La
  • Someday`s Dreamers II Sora

I have 90% of that (i guess i have a depressing amount of depressing anime) but I see a few I havent heard of.

Defuser

Kokoro Connect ep 10

SAWASHIRO MIYUKI IS FUCKING EXCELLENT! This is why is she is the best seiyuu around.

Okay solution to the conclusion. Dammit Iori how can you be so ignorantly optimistic? How can you out-Kanna a Kanna'ed Inaba? Friendships do end over 1 guy. Whatever man, I hope you lick your wounds when Inaba wins.

Kokoro Connect ep 10

SAWASHIRO MIYUKI IS FUCKING EXCELLENT! This is why is she is the best seiyuu around.

Okay solution to the conclusion. Dammit Iori how can you be so ignorantly optimistic? How can you out-Kanna a Kanna'ed Inaba? Friendships do end over 1 guy. Whatever man, I hope you lick your wounds when Inaba wins.

I hope the power of friendship blurs their gender identity just enough to allow them to combine forces for the BEST END :D

Those are two I havent seen.

I have seen just about everything on that list released here on disc.

You have to see Bokura no... it's Narutaru levels of disturbing. Basilisk is a great tragety... really ruins your day nicely <3

Edit:
Somedays Dreamers 2 is a good one. It's like a crow and his walnut. That bird will carry you high and show your heart the wonders and majesty of flight ;)

cajunator

Banned
You have to see Bokura no... it's Narutaru levels of disturbing. Basilisk is a great tragety... really ruins your day nicely <3

Edit:
Somedays Dreamers 2 is a good one. It's like a crow and his walnut. That bird will carry you high and show your heart the wonders and majesty of flight ;)

Sounds suitably depressing. Ill check out bokurano.

Jex

So like, originally hosanna said:
Among mainstream Western film critics, Kon is probably the most visible Japanese animation director behind Miyazaki, although he would be way behind Miyazaki.
and then Jarmel said:
Among film critics, you're right. However among otakus as a whole in the west, I wouldn't say he's mainstream.
to which Dresden said:
Even here he's one of the most well-known. This is a guy who is about as mainstream as you can get in the west without being associated with Ghibli.
which I would agree with, by the way. Then Jarmel said:
If you asked a normal anime-watcher who Satoshi Kon is, I doubt many would know. They might have seen Paprika but again he definitely isn't mainstream to any extent that anyone from Ghibli is. I would also be very surprised if many had seen Perfect Blue. Edit: I'm trying to see if I can find sales numbers for Paprika but not finding anything.
So it's pretty clear that, right now Jarmel is saying that Satoshi Kon isn't well known to average anime watchers.
To which icarus points out:
This ANN poll shows that Satoshi Kon is the third favourite director among ANN users at the time the poll was conducted. As ANN seems to be a representation of 'normal anime-watchers' as any site you could hope to find one might assume that Jarmel might concede that he (or she!) was wrong. Instead we get this:
Considering Watanabe isn't even known for his movies, that says something.
Which is basically unrelated to the argument at hand. Icarus aptly points this out:
Yeah, considering that he's known for one or two of the most popular anime tv series in the west (even among non-anime fans!) it...says nothing.

You're kind of bending over backwards to make Satoshi Kon seem like some obscure director when he's anything but. When I was getting into anime in the early aughts, Perfect Blue was definitely part of the standard anime movie recommendations given to newbies along with the likes of Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Jin-Roh, etc. and certainly with Paranoia Agent & Paprika he had kept a prominent profile on the scene that I feel has held up since his passing.
As I said above, I don't really know how this argument can continue, but it does:
That right there. He's only produced really one movie of note and that's the Cowboy Bebop movie. The fact that people chose a guy who is mainly known for television series over a guy known for movies is pretty indicative either that they haven't seen his works or they prefer Watanabe with his very low track record. Either case that definitely doesn't help your argument. I'm not saying he's unknown but I also wouldn't say he's exactly mainstream either.
This section of Jarmel's argument is a bit of a muddle. Jarmel seems to be under that the ANN poll was simply a poll of user's favourite anime film directors, not just directors in general. As such, Jarmel thinks that Watanabe beating Kon as a director of anime films with only movie under his belt compared to Kon's four must mean that Kon isn't really that well known. The assumption here is that someone with four movies should be more well known than someone with one movie, but I don't really think that argument holds any water either. Nevertheless, I digress.

Jarmel has reiterated: "I'm not saying he's unknown but I also wouldn't say he's exactly mainstream either" which doesn't make any sense when he's responding to an ANN poll which has Kon come out as the third most well known director out of a list of over fifty directors.

Icarus responds thusly:
But your average western anime fan is a teenager watching shit on tv, so I don't see how that hurts my "argument" when Cowboy Bebop got tons of exposure over here after being aired on tv for what feels like years on end (and when Samurai Champloo was chiefly known for being done by the Cowboy Bebop guy.)

Unless you want to count non-anime fans (which you don't, for some odd reason) in which case Kon is inarguably well-known and mainstream, relatively-speaking.
As you can see, Icarus has responded to the comments regarding Watanabe but they're ultimately of no relevance to this matter because Jarmel was clearly confused in the first place. Importantly Icarus opens the door to a wider discussion about how popular Satoshi Kon is with people who aren't 'normal anime-watchers'.

Jarmel, of course, responds; this time at some length. I hope you don't mind that I am going to break it up into small chunks for the sake of smoother digestion.
I actually misread the poll. I thought the poll only included the top directors of movies.
Sue me, it's 4am in the morning
This gets the earlier confusion re: Watanabe out of the way.
There's a couple of problems with this poll anyway as an indicator of popularity. The first being that it's self-selective on a self-selective website, similar to the Japanese poll earlier. People who browse and especially vote on ANN are not going to be typical fans or even typical otaku. That means it's going to be skewered a certain way.
Lets try and look at this in a reasoned manner. Jarmel is looking to diffuse the weight of this polls conclusions by throwing attacking the methodology involved in gathering the information rather than the answers that the poll found.

Firstly, Jarmel would have us believe that the people who browse ANN and vote on such polls are not typical fans or typical. By this I presume Jarmel is implying that those people who visit ANN are far more hardcore than your average fan and only really hardcore fans will know who Satoshi Kon is (although Jarmel never explicitly states this I assume it to be his argument. You could read Jarmel's statement as suggesting that those who read ANN are atypical because they are less hardcore).

As far as I can see ANN is one of the most mainstream anime websites around. The anime community, like many modern fanbases, is splintered into thousands of tiny fragments that reside at various locations throughout the internet but ANN has to be the most well known source for anime news and information, well either them or 4chan. ANN claims to be "the #1 English language source for anime and manga news on the Internet." Here is their Alexa rankings, for your information: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/AnimeNewsNetwork.com
How much traffic they actually get is debateable but it doesn't really seem like they much competition when it comes to other websites that offer the range of information that they offer. They're basically like a Kotaku or IGN except they have zero rivals.

Sure, I think we can concede that the most casual anime fans probably don't either visit ANN, or read any major website or contribute anything to any kind of discussion. However, as they're going to remain silent on all matters there really doesn't seem to be much point in considering their knowledge of anime directors because we'll never be able to know what, exactly, they know.

So, while ANN may not be able to speak for every single anime fan on the planet I think their reach is broad enough to give us a broad idea of what your average fan might know about a given subject.

But don't take my word for it, here's another source that ranks people in the anime industry, MyAnimeList http://myanimelist.net/favorites.php?type=people&limit=20
As you can see, Satoshi Kon is also the third favourite director when using this site, with 2359 favourites.
For example no way is Kon more well-known than Anno
This is a statement, not an argument. The only evidence you have to hand to discuss this with states that the exact opposite is true.
The second problem is that this is a popularity poll not a survey.
While a survey, done properly, would certainly be more methodologically sound and exhaustive I don't think that you can simply ignore the results of a popularity poll on a very popular website, especially if it's corroborated elsewhere by multiple sources. All that you originally said was:
Among film critics, you're right. However among otakus as a whole in the west, I wouldn't say he's mainstream.
which is looking increasingly less likely as the argument drags on. But I digress:
Third is that even then, you're looking at a less than 10% number. So this is a bad indicator regardless.
I thought there were only a couple of problems with the poll? Anyway, because only 8.8% of the respondents in the ANN poll chose Kon as their favourite director you're saying that it's a "bad indicator". However, it's percentage of respondents who chose Kon is kind of irrelevant to the argument at hand. Even though he only achieved 8.8% he was still the third favourite director in the poll and that can't be escaped from by saying "less than 10%" etc.
The reason I don't count non-anime fans anyway is because there wouldn't be an argument. He straight up isn't mainstream among non-anime fans. There is no way on Earth I would believe he's mainstream unless you can cite something that proves otherwise. People might know Paprika mainly due to Inception but that's primarily it.
This, at least, makes some kind of sense. Your average day film goer probably doesn't know who Satoshi Kon is, but then all they probably only know the names of popular actors.

However, Icarus said:
Unless you want to count non-anime fans (which you don't, for some odd reason) in which case Kon is inarguably well-known and mainstream, relatively-speaking.
The important part of that statement is, of course, the caveat at the end. Satoshi Kon is relatively well known to the mainstream western film critics who have a passing and general interest in this kind of thing. They've definetenly heard of Miyazaki and if they know of any other anime director off the top of their heads it's probably going to be Satoshi Kon. Which isn't to say that he's well known to the general public.

Here's an example of the kind of tribrutes that were paid to him by the mainstream press when he died:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/rip-paprika-and-perfect-blue-director-satoshi-kon,44534/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/arts/design/26kon.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/aug/26/anime-satoshi-kon-japanese-cinema
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2036683_2036477_2036995,00.html

Here's the thread on GAF that we had at the time of his passing. As you'll note, the commenter in the thread include a number of regular AnimeGaffers (e.g. hardcore people) but there's also a huge number of other users who are aware of his work -
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405128

In short, I think it's fair to say that he was one of the most well known anime directors of the modern era, both among normal anime viewers and the more mainstream film critics.

Grzi

Sword Art Online - 10

Not bad, the fight was nice, too bad it was so short.

The whole
villain
twist was unexpected for me, so that was cool.

The scenes at the end deserved a better soundtrack though, here's what I had in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn4i8bAfnMY
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1xf_RWhwso

Or something similar.
There was a romantic comedy vibe there which I found pretty charming.

Show's still far from good though.
I hope they keep this up, the last two episodes were the best so far.

Firemind

I wouldn't say ANN is a portal for 'normal' anime viewers, unless by normal you mean looking up which character is voiced by who and what staff were responsible for a given show. I doubt many go to ANN for the reviews.

Your average person aren't going to remember who voiced who or who were part of the staff. They're going to remember Disney or Pixar. Just as with Ghibli, it's a household name in Japan.

Not that I'm disputing that Kon is a well-known figure. It's that the studio he's most associated with, Madhouse, doesn't get as much publicity as Ghibli. Perhaps that will change with Summer Wars and Wolf Children. If that happens, Hosoda will probably get most of the credit.

cajunator

Banned
Satoshi Kon was pretty well known in the anime community.
He was by far my favorite director and he created some genius mindfuck movies as well as the underrated Tokyo Godfathers. That man is a fuckin legend and I miss him terribly.

duckroll

I feel bad for Jarmel. As much as that debate went on for far longer than it should have, that sort of smackdown is just... brutal. ;_;

Not that I'm disputing that Kon is a well-known figure. It's that the studio he's most associated with, Madhouse, doesn't get as much publicity as Ghibli. Perhaps that will change with Summer Wars and Wolf Children. If that happens, Hosoda will probably get most of the credit.

Madhouse aint getting no mainstream credit for Wolf Children. It's being pushed as a Mamoru Hosoda and Studio Chizu movie all the way, everywhere.

Kazzy

I've abandoned my Lightning avatar for Flash...

Still looking for a better pic, though.

Maybe you could use one of these:

590px-Asuna_ACD_2.png

You should probably just ask Cajunator, though. He is the resident Asuna super-fan.

Kazzy

cajunator

Banned
I'll not dispute here the integrity or true relevance of this magazine as a whole nowadays, but as far as mainstream "popular" reputation (specially for this their TIME 100 list) goes TIME is still pretty significant, and they published this:

Satoshi Kon - Person of the Year 2010 - TIME
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2036683_2036477_2036995,00.html

Misleading title as he actually wasnt person of the year, but definitely important enough to be mentioned there.

And Asuna fucking sucks.

Zeta Gundam completed

Well, that certainly wasn't the ending I was expecting nor was it the one I think I wanted.

I expected friends and foes on both sides to die in the last few episodes, but I didn't think that Kamille would end up mentally disabled in the final moments. It renders his final strike, uniting with the souls of those who were killed, somewhat meaningless. It's not really consistent with the tone of the show and it feels like Tomino just wanted the story to end tragically for the sake of it. It's a shame too, since I was impressed a great deal by the whole production, especially after watching the entire original MS Gundam beforehand.

Oh well. It was definitely worth sitting through 50 episodes even if the last minute left a bad taste in my mouth.

/XX/

Misleading title as he actually wasnt person of the year, but definitely important enough to be mentioned there.
It maybe is a little misleading, yeah, as this is part of their TIME 100 list with a hundred people in there that were all a relevant 'Person of the Year' for them. Nevertheless, in the terms of this discussion I think it still was something worth to point out.

/XX/ swiftly adds to the pile, debate over? I think so.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgs0safnCc1qamo7fo1_400.jpg
You know, maybe I shouldn't have posted something like that, as instead I'd prefer people to only rejoice on his legacy and influence, so let's just see something more sweet and leave pointless arguments aside:

A Tribute to Satoshi Kon - The Exhibition
http://www.catsuka.com/satoshikon/en/tributes

Zeta Gundam completed

Well, that certainly wasn't the ending I was expecting nor was it the one I think I wanted.

I expected friends and foes on both sides to die in the last few episodes, but I didn't think that Kamille would end up mentally disabled in the final moments. It renders his final strike, uniting with the souls of those who were killed, somewhat meaningless. It's not really consistent with the tone of the show and it feels like Tomino just wanted the story to end tragically for the sake of it. It's a shame too, since I was impressed a great deal by the whole production, especially after watching the entire original MS Gundam beforehand.

Oh well. It was definitely worth sitting through 50 episodes even if the last minute left a bad taste in my mouth.

On a scale of 0-10, how will you rate it? Will you watch the horrible sequel?

Kazzy

You know, maybe I shouldn't have posted something like that, as instead I'd prefer people to only rejoice on his legacy and influence, so let's just see something more sweet and leave pointless arguments aside:

Indeed. After all, Paprika remains one of my favourite movies.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 24

Once upon a time, mice were the strongest beings to wander the face of the earth, pebbles and tree branches were used instead of emoji to communicate feelings and it was incredibly foolish to get between an old couple and there last remaining rice ball.

The second short stood out to me if only for just how visually unique it was. the first shorts for episodes 14 and 18 also come to mind in this regard and I highly recommend you check 'em out sometime.

zeroshiki

I just decided to randomly drop in and say that Nerawareta Gakuen is gonna be the anime of the forever.

I don't know if someone's already posted the cast but its:

Natsuki - Watanabe Mayu (AKB0048)
Kenji - Honjou Koutarou (E7 Ao)
Kahori - Hanazawa Kana (every other anime the past few seasons)
Kyougoku - Ohno Daisuke (Haruhi)

/goes back to being dead

Jex

I'll not dispute here the integrity or true relevance of this magazine as a whole nowadays, but as far as mainstream "popular" reputation (specially for this their TIME 100 list) goes TIME is still pretty significant, and they published this:

Satoshi Kon - Person of the Year 2010 - TIME

I actually included that in my original post. I'm offended that you didn't read my post closely enough to discover this!

Jex

I find Alexa's search information for ANN pretty amusing:

Search Traffic on the Rise and Decline

The top queries from search engines driving relatively more/less traffic to animenewsnetwork.com in the current month than the previous month.
Updated monthly.

Search Query 1 Month Decline
1 tsuritama 0.09%
2 last exile fam the silver wing 0.08%
3 m&#333;ry&#333; no hako plot 0.08%
4 full metal alchemist anime vs manga 0.08%
5 top 10 anime 0.08%
6 monster 0.08%
7 princess knight catue 0.07%
8 akb0048 0.07%
9 stringendo 0.06%
10 animation vs anime 0.06%

BluWacky

I just decided to randomly drop in and say that Nerawareta Gakuen is gonna be the anime of the forever.

I don't know if someone's already posted the cast but its:

Natsuki - Watanabe Mayu (AKB0048)
Kenji - Honjou Koutarou (E7 Ao)
Kahori - Hanazawa Kana (every other anime the past few seasons)
Kyougoku - Ohno Daisuke (Haruhi)

/goes back to being dead

Can Watanabe act? I didn't watch AKB so I have no idea. Otherwise I am joining you on this hype train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom