• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

To celebrate being able to watch Wolf's Children in cinemas from September 13-26 I though now was a good time to dive into the anime of the decade, SAO.

Sword Art Online 01

SwordArtOnline-01-Large26.jpg

Well that would fucking suck, someone taking that hardcore server concept a little to far, would've been hilarious if during this speech some Koreans had cleared the game and than proceeded to shit on it on their msg boards for not being grindy enough.

Narag

Zeta Gundam completed

Well, that certainly wasn't the ending I was expecting nor was it the one I think I wanted.

I expected friends and foes on both sides to die in the last few episodes, but I didn't think that Kamille would end up mentally disabled in the final moments. It renders his final strike, uniting with the souls of those who were killed, somewhat meaningless. It's not really consistent with the tone of the show and it feels like Tomino just wanted the story to end tragically for the sake of it. It's a shame too, since I was impressed a great deal by the whole production, especially after watching the entire original MS Gundam beforehand.

Oh well. It was definitely worth sitting through 50 episodes even if the last minute left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think your complaint was amended in the New Translation movies. Haven't seen them myself yet and that change is one reason I keep putting them off!

Westlo

Sword Art Online 2

I would be all #Team Asuna but the OP makes it pretty clear already.... speaking of the OP nowhere near as good as the Fate/Zero one, same with the music. Episode was pretty meh outside of the fight, at least Kirito's got some snazzy clothes now, I wonder if this has transmog. Would there be a feedback system to bitch about it getting patched in if there wasn't?

Hunter x Hunter 46
tumblr_ma2jey3Fg51r2z8hto1_r2_500.gif

Uvo and Shalnark better not be defeated whenever they get into a match (I guess that may happen, eventually), so funny. I really like that drum track or whatever that always plays, I need the ost just for it. But otherwise, like where things are going.
Killua and Gon finally back involved with a good tie to the phantom troupe, wonder which they will target first. Oh well whomever will be destroyed brutally.

I think I missed it but what exactly is Hisoka after, in terms of info from Kurapika?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Somebody please make a SAO OT

PLEASE
Sure you can make one. No one will use it.

Your average person aren't going to remember who voiced who or who were part of the staff. They're going to remember Disney or Pixar. Just as with Ghibli, it's a household name in Japan.
I sometimes don't even remember the names of the characters in shows I watch.

Is this the point where I brag about having tickets for a screening of this in October?

Because I have tickets booked for a screening of this in October. Just saying.
But that does involve you going to Scotland.

I wanted to go to Scotland for my summer holiday this year but it was expensive due to the Fringe. Also I'll miss out on the K-On Q&A.

That sounds like a story worthy of... Scotland Yard!

I'm sorry for the corny joke. :(
At least do the complete set of puns.

Advance apologies to the Brits who are not fans of Michael McIntyre. I know he's cool not to like ever since he got popular.

Wouldn't that be reserved for the dub? I doubt the joke would work well in Japanese.
I don't care. If I can complain about SAO I will.

As, now, do I, plus flights and hotel for the night. Sod the cost - I really, really want to see this (and Blood-C). And I'll book to see Wolf Children in London the week before when tickets go on sale.

Hang on. The film people are saying one must see is coming to London. Well looks like I'll have a chance to go. I require more info.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bored Farts Online 10

E5FGr.jpg

Oh goody! It's this scene again!

There are no black bars here because this show is so predictable that it is impossible to spoil.

A hideous concoction of vile vomit and putrid piss blended together that sickeningly oozes into my sockets in the form of Sword Art Online. I'd rather buckaroo off the face of this earth than listen to another girl in this show bicker at the MC calling him a "baka" only to end with them falling in love and getting hitched. I was certainly tempted to hitch my mouse pointer towards the close button without a hitch but that's when the show decided to spare my life and end. So on the plus side I can say this show at least ihas the decency to end before pounding my brain with more useless twaddle and leaving me in a coma for two and a half years. It doesn't help that the show likes to present us with other characters who are far more interesting than our coloured by numbers hero. Then again just having a beard made our latest short lived addition to this show more dimensional than one dimensional Gary Stu.

All in all an episode that blew its load within a minute. I look forward to next week's.

Westlo

Sword Art Online 30 3

Felt like I watched episode 30 in this series or something instead of 3, lmao @ the above scene, seen the gif of that so much. Also joining a guild doesn't make your level known? That shit is wack, how did it make it out of beta.

Jex

There's no point in just linking this without dropping the titles of these works:

Here is a list of 12 titles of “little sister”-themed light novels planned for release through mid-October. See covers in the photo below.

1. Little Sisters, Don’t Hit On Me! (Catch phrase: “A scramble between twin sisters for their favorite older brother becomes a total mess!”)
2. My Little Sister Can Read Kanji (Volume 5)
3. My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute (Volume 11)
4. My Little Sister Who Is Popular With Girls and Me Who Suffers (Volume 5)
5. My Little Sister is a Light Novel Goddess (Getting meta up in here!)
6. My Little Sister is Mad Because My Girlfriend Came Onto Me?
7. I Know You’re My Brother but as Long There’s Love it Doesn’t Matter, Right? (Volume 7)
8. Little Sister Complex (Volume 3)
9. My Childhood Friend and Little Sister Have Delusional Daydreams in My Fantasies
10. There’s No Way I Can Be Empress of a Parallel Dimension!
11. One of These Girls is My Little Sister!
12. I Tried Controlling My Rebellious Little Sister With the Power of the Devil King

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sword Art Online 30 3

Also joining a guild doesn't make your level known?

It's opposite land where the only thing you can't hide is your true gender and I'm sure if you master the cosmetics skill you could even hide that.

Westlo

It's opposite land where the only thing you can't hide is your true gender and I'm sure if you master the cosmetics skill you could even hide that.

Could you imagine the beta msg boards for this game?

12. I Tried Controlling My Rebellious Little Sister With the Power of the Devil King

Sign me the fuck up!

I Tried Controlling My Rebellious Little Sister With the Power of the Devil King

Thats the only one that sounds like it may be close to decent. Though all these little sisters (except for the kanji one) seem like their really annoying.

That twelfth photo on that site, wow...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Could you imagine the beta msg boards for this game?

I heard the community boards for SAO are pretty much dead.

My Little Sister is now my Older Brother!
My Little Sister Started WWIII but my Parents are Blaming me!
My Little Sister is Actually the Reincarnation of Jesus Christ!
My Best Friend is Actually a GIRL!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I guess it's the latest and greatest fad. I wonder if any of them realise the success of My Little Sister Can't be This Cute isn't solely down to the presence of a little sister in the storyline.
It isn't?

That is news to me.

Jarmel

Banned
Lets try and look at this in a reasoned manner. Jarmel is looking to diffuse the weight of this polls conclusions by throwing attacking the methodology involved in gathering the information rather than the answers that the poll found.

Firstly, Jarmel would have us believe that the people who browse ANN and vote on such polls are not typical fans or typical. By this I presume Jarmel is implying that those people who visit ANN are far more hardcore than your average fan and only really hardcore fans will know who Satoshi Kon is (although Jarmel never explicitly states this I assume it to be his argument. You could read Jarmel's statement as suggesting that those who read ANN are atypical because they are less hardcore).

As far as I can see ANN is one of the most mainstream anime websites around. The anime community, like many modern fanbases, is splintered into thousands of tiny fragments that reside at various locations throughout the internet but ANN has to be the most well known source for anime news and information, well either them or 4chan. ANN claims to be "the #1 English language source for anime and manga news on the Internet." Here is their Alexa rankings, for your information: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/AnimeNewsNetwork.com
How much traffic they actually get is debateable but it doesn't really seem like they much competition when it comes to other websites that offer the range of information that they offer. They're basically like a Kotaku or IGN except they have zero rivals.

Sure, I think we can concede that the most casual anime fans probably don't either visit ANN, or read any major website or contribute anything to any kind of discussion. However, as they're going to remain silent on all matters there really doesn't seem to be much point in considering their knowledge of anime directors because we'll never be able to know what, exactly, they know.

So, while ANN may not be able to speak for every single anime fan on the planet I think their reach is broad enough to give us a broad idea of what your average fan might know about a given subject.

But don't take my word for it, here's another source that ranks people in the anime industry, MyAnimeList http://myanimelist.net/favorites.php?type=people&limit=20
As you can see, Satoshi Kon is also the third favourite director when using this site, with 2359 favourites.

I thought there were only a couple of problems with the poll? Anyway, because only 8.8% of the respondents in the ANN poll chose Kon as their favourite director you're saying that it's a "bad indicator". However, it's percentage of respondents who chose Kon is kind of irrelevant to the argument at hand. Even though he only achieved 8.8% he was still the third favourite director in the poll and that can't be escaped from by saying "less than 10%" etc.

Correct, we were talking about methodology of polls in the first place anyway. ANN is indeed the largest anime website but you're talking about a segment of a niche checking out news, of that segment you then have people choosing to vote in a poll. The poll isn't great to use as a matter of scientific analysis, something I was discussing earlier with the Japanese poll as it's not going to be random. That's a problem with many online polls in general as they're susceptible to self-selecting bias. You then have the additional problem of this being a favorites poll which isn't going to be representative of how well people are familiar with someone's catalog or even their name but primarily just choosing their favorites. That means that certain names are going to be skewered. So the primary two issues are that you have self-selecting bias and you're using a poll that isn't really designed to answer that specific question. My secondary issue in regards to the 8 percent was that you can't really use that number to indicate popularity because that on its own is pretty low. This again relates to the problem of it being a favorites poll though, as if this was strictly a knowledge survey, that number would jump up. I was merely commenting on how that number on its own doesn't really stand.

This is a statement, not an argument. The only evidence you have to hand to discuss this with states that the exact opposite is true.

Agreed, I shouldn't have made that statement. Although it does point out how because it's a favorites poll that it will skew certain numbers.

That's part of the problem

This, at least, makes some kind of sense. Your average day film goer probably doesn't know who Satoshi Kon is, but then all they probably only know the names of popular actors.

However, Icarus said:

The important part of that statement is, of course, the caveat at the end. Satoshi Kon is relatively well known to the mainstream western film critics who have a passing and general interest in this kind of thing. They've definetenly heard of Miyazaki and if they know of any other anime director off the top of their heads it's probably going to be Satoshi Kon. Which isn't to say that he's well known to the general public.

Here's an example of the kind of tribrutes that were paid to him by the mainstream press when he died:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/rip-paprika-and-perfect-blue-director-satoshi-kon,44534/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/arts/design/26kon.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/aug/26/anime-satoshi-kon-japanese-cinema
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2036683_2036477_2036995,00.html

Here's the thread on GAF that we had at the time of his passing. As you'll note, the commenter in the thread include a number of regular AnimeGaffers (e.g. hardcore people) but there's also a huge number of other users who are aware of his work -
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405128

In short, I think it's fair to say that he was one of the most well known anime directors of the modern era, both among normal anime viewers and the more mainstream film critics.

In conclusion, fine I agree.

Narag

One Piece 17

So I guess this is Usopp's introduction arc closing out. It was nice to see him grow a bit and for it to actually result in something positive for him. I'm also glad I finally know the source of their ship as that figurehead was driving me crazy as I couldn't figure out the relevance when apparently every other ship I'd seen so far had one related to the crew's theme.

Caesnd

There's no point in just linking this without dropping the titles of these works:

Can I hope that this inevitable over saturation might actually lead into something good? Perhaps they'll start thinking up unique and compelling concepts once again, just to stray away from what they have created?

Jex

Can I hope that this inevitable over saturation might actually lead into something good? Perhaps they'll start thinking up unique and compelling concepts once again, just to stray away from what they have created?

No because the Koi Kaze manga is from 2001 and the anime is from 2004, from way before the current fad. As far as I'm aware it's the sole work in the brother/sister incest genre that's of any worth at all. The current fad isn't concerned with looking at the concept and exploring it in an interesting way, they're trying to be commercially successful.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

You mean like how Romantic stories of Vampires are going away in the West and I didn't read just today that another book series have been commissioned.

I heard the community boards for SAO are pretty much dead.

My Little Sister is now my Older Brother!
My Little Sister Started WWIII but my Parents are Blaming me!
My Little Sister is Actually the Reincarnation of Jesus Christ!
My Best Friend is Actually a GIRL!
I have been waiting for that to be translated.
nobody seems interested in it lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Correct, we were talking about methodology of polls in the first place anyway. ANN is indeed the largest anime website but you're talking about a segment of a niche checking out news, of that segment you then have people choosing to vote in a poll. The poll isn't great to use as a matter of scientific analysis, something I was discussing earlier with the Japanese poll as it's not going to be random. That's a problem with many online polls in general as they're susceptible to self-selecting bias. You then have the additional problem of this being a favorites poll which isn't going to be representative of how well people are familiar with someone's catalog or even their name but primarily just choosing their favorites. That means that certain names are going to be skewered. So the primary two issues are that you have self-selecting bias and you're using a poll that isn't really designed to answer that specific question. My secondary issue in regards to the 8 percent was that you can't really use that number to indicate popularity because that on its own is pretty low. This again relates to the problem of it being a favorites poll though, as if this was strictly a knowledge survey, that number would jump up. I was merely commenting on how that number on its own doesn't really stand.

I think I lost the plot on this debate, but I'm inclined to agree that the average American anime fan - the ones who can name all the American voice actors but none of the Japanese ones - probably aren't going to be staff whores.

BluWacky

I still don't understand how this is a story. Right, so she can read kanji and then what?

It's set in 2202. Moe culture has run rampant, and kanji are no longer in regular usage. Light novels have become the height of literary sophistication. That's why it's so amazing that a 16 year old girl can read kanji in said story.

Apparently there's some kind of time slip but I couldn't be bothered reading the summary any further than that. I guess it's probably hilariously ironic in Japanese.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's important to be told that what you're doing is right and just.
I think this is probably the best way to sell any work of fiction. Find your niche, tell them what they do is morally justified, make millions.

BluWacky

No because the Koi Kaze manga is from 2001 and the anime is from 2004, from way before the current fad. As far as I'm aware it's the sole work in the brother/sister incest genre that's of any worth at all. The current fad isn't concerned with looking at the concept and exploring it in an interesting way, they're trying to be commercially successful.

I would also note that, although it's not as old, the ultra-successful shoujo manga Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru (I'm In Love With My Little Sister), which actually goes there instead of the usual subtext, won the Shogakukan manga prize in 2008.

The OVA from the manga is terrible, and I suspect the manga is as well, but it's not just the providence of male-targetted light novels.

Jarmel

Banned
I think I lost the plot on this debate, but I'm inclined to agree that the average American anime fan - the ones who can name all the American voice actors but none of the Japanese ones - probably aren't going to be staff whores.

Yea the whole argument went way off track as we were initially talking about that Japanese online poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom