• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Every single time I enter this thread the posts in the top of the page are talking about Asuna.

I think we've found this year's AnimeGAF waifu.

/XX/

I actually included that in my original post. I'm offended that you didn't read my post closely enough to discover this!
Oh man, sorry for that! I didn't check all the links.
Including above a link the title of the webpage bolded is way cooler, though. And more visible that way, of course!

Jex

Oh man, sorry for that! I didn't check all the links.
Including above a link the title of the webpage bolded is way cooler, though. And more visible that way, of course!

That's what I get for composing my post in Word!

DiGiKerot

I just decided to randomly drop in and say that Nerawareta Gakuen is gonna be the anime of the forever.

Is this the point where I brag about having tickets for a screening of this in October?

Because I have tickets booked for a screening of this in October. Just saying.

TheOddOne

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 10 - Decent episode, but also feels like they drag it just a little to much. Next week is the last episode, right? Dammit, another one of those "Let's wrap this up fast" season ending :(

DiGiKerot

Idolmaster 26

haha yeah that was great. That yakuza movie trailer.

I do hope that you, and everyone else, is looking forward to the Shiny Festa episodes coming in October in GLORIOUS UMD quality.

Oh, Space Travellers! I've seen that!

It's not really a police procedural or anything, though - it's a pretty goofy comedic heist-gone-wrong movie in which three friends try to rob a bank, and end up taking the personas of characters from a terrible SF anime one of them happens to like (then the supposed hostages decide to join in as well, because the heroes are really far too nice to be robbers). It's stupid, but it's quite a bit of fun.

They did actually end up making a Space Travellers anime at one point - I've not seen it, but I've heard nothing but the most terrible of things. I don't think Motohiro was involved in that, though.

duckroll

Oh, Space Travellers! I've seen that!

It's not really a police procedural or anything, though - it's a pretty goofy comedic heist-gone-wrong movie in which three friends try to rob a bank, and end up taking the personas of characters from a terrible SF anime one of them happens to like (then the supposed hostages decide to join in as well, because the heroes are really far too nice to be robbers). It's stupid, but it's quite a bit of fun.

They did actually end up making a Space Travellers anime at one point - I've not seen it, but I've heard nothing but the most terrible of things. I don't think Motohiro was involved in that, though.

Yeah I think procedural might not be the right term here. He's more of a director who likes directing shows about people who are in teams and there's an organizational structure.

DiGiKerot

Yeah I think procedural might not be the right term here. He's more of a director who likes directing shows about people who are in teams and there's an organizational structure.

I can see that. I mean, I suppose Space Travellers in almost deconstructional in that to an extent, given the way that the characters actively equate and talk about themselves in relation to characters from a fictional SF hero team show. They're constructing a team on the fly based upon something else they've seen with a team in it. Gloriously meta and all that.

It's an interesting pull for the staff of Psycho-Pass, though. It shows that they're aiming high at least.

I have to admit that I find the heroine to look incredibly unsure of herself in every piece of promotional art that gets posted here, though. There's just something weird about her expression that doesn't sit quite right with me, though I guess it's yet to be seen whether that carries over in to the animation itself.

-Minsc-

Hrm, so was that mashed into the story with the girl who was a hikikimori and had a cop father?

Which jdrama adaptation do you like more? The old Onizuka definitely looks much more... idol looking than this one. lol

Nah, it was completely different. Bits at the start of that episode reminded me more of Yurumi's introduction (she never appeared in the manga until volume 7). Are there any specifics you'd like in greater detail? I can get more spoilerly in a PM.

As for the adaptations, maybe the original drama. Though it's hard to say without having it fresh in my mind. There certainly was a great chemistry between the actors who played Onizuka and Fuyutsuki. Seeing as the two of them married after they finished GTO, it was a real attraction that filtered through on to the screen.

I'll have to get the manga volumes I loaned out returned. Watching the new drama has sparked an interest in giving the series another read.

duckroll

I have to admit that I find the heroine to look incredibly unsure of herself in every piece of promotional art that gets posted here, though. There's just something weird about her expression that doesn't sit quite right with me, though I guess it's yet to be seen whether that carries over in to the animation itself.

There's definitely something going on with Akane. She appears to be the youngest character in the cast. The Animedia article says she's 19 years old and just joined the force, while two main guys are 28 years old and seem to be pretty experienced. To add to the complexity of the dynamic, she's a Executive Officer, not a Enforcement Officer. Her job is to supervise the performance of the enforcement officers, and apparently executives are chosen from the "top elites" in society, and they're the ones who hold the leash of the enforcers who are seen more as attack dogs so to speak.

Go_Ly_Dow

Great Teacher Onizuka 2012 -10

2dfrs.jpg
NHPGP.png
Noooooooo :(. If Onizuka can get depressed then what hope does the rest of mankind have?

The beast is back!!

...also, I was wrong guys. This wasn't the finale =D

Up until the ending it was a very entertaining 8. The characters could be grating and ridiculous, but I was having a good time.

My plan was to watch all the UC shows/OVA's/movies, so yeah. Onward to ZZ!

Thats my plan aswel, I need to start watching from the very first Gundam show to understand the Feds vs Zeon thing.

Tanken Driland 1-6

Good, fun stuff, a JRPG style romp through a fantasy world, filled with all the tropes, but very self aware. The pace is great, which makes this show pretty easy to sit through, and it can get genuinely funny at times.
I also like the look of the show, it fits it well. Oh, and while the animation isn't actually good, it's not bad either, so there's never a huge discrepancy in the looks department between episodes like in Saint Seiya Omega. It never reaches the lows of that show's animation, so I guess that's something Toei did good with this one.

More people should give this one a shot.

I love the ending theme and the characters are so awesome, especially Wallens. I wish he would tell us if he was or was not a hunter.

DiGiKerot

There's definitely something going on with Akane. She appears to be the youngest character in the cast. The Animedia article says she's 19 years old and just joined the force, while two main guys are 28 years old and seem to be pretty experienced. To add to the complexity of the dynamic, she's a Executive Officer, not a Enforcement Officer. Her job is to supervise the performance of the enforcement officers, and apparently executives are chosen from the "top elites" in society, and they're the ones who hold the leash of the enforcers who are seen more as attack dogs so to speak.

Ah, right - that probably explains the constant look of "oh heck I'm totally in over my head here" she has on her face, which will no doubt end up being half of what the show is about.

-Minsc-

Great Teacher Onizuka 2012 -10

Noooooooo :(. If Onizuka can get depressed then what hope does the rest of mankind have?

The beast is back!!

...also, I was wrong guys. This wasn't the finale =D

Ha ha, I was thinking that when watching it.

Differences between episode 10 and the manga source:

One big difference with this series is the character of Kikuchi. I was rather surprised to see him so socially distanced from the rest of the class. He was one of the first students Onizuka befriended. .The only similarity is his intellect. I figured he was taking over the role of Mayu in the Daimon arc, however, that seems to be shared by this other kid introduced at the end of the episode.

Kagami

Kokoro Connect 10

This ep had me grinning by the end.

I liked the first arc better.
But I do agree the first arc was more interesting. I wonder if they could have shortened the second arc by an episode or so. Or maybe worked in some of the more amusing unleashed-desire stuff mentioned in passing in the novel to provide a little more contrast with the drama.

Damn, what a fantastic episode; probably my favorite of the entire show.
I think my favorite episode may actually be the first. The way it brought all these fun characters to life really grabbed my interest. But I need to watch the whole the series over again from the beginning to make up my mind.

Inaba's confession and the kiss she gave Taichi at the end were utterly fantastic and satisfying moments.
Yeah that last bit was fantastic.

All in all, Kokoro Connect continues to excel with it‘s direction, writing, and character development and, as each episode passes, it solidifies itself as one of the very best shows of the year.
Don't forget voice acting!

But I will say, it hasn't been terribly interesting visually much of the time, which is a problem for a visual medium. In the other shows I'm watching, I can easily recall scenes with lively animation or visually interesting shots, but KC doesn't have much to praise in that regard. I've seen some people comparing KC to eroge/VNs and I can't really argue. It's definitely being carried by the character design and voice acting, though I seem to remember the first episode being more lively than the rest.
Obviously when you've got a conversation-focused story there's not much action to animate, but I can't think of any scenes in KC that impressed as much as the globe scene in episode 2 of Nobuna, and that was purely conversation, too.

flawfuls

Space Bros 23

The funny thing about extraterrestrial biology dude is that he is absolutely shit at it. I mean he though there would be huge creatures if there was life on Jupiter because of the gravity, but it would clearly be the opposite.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sword Art Online 10

This surely lived up to the hype generated from the last episode!

...for about five minutes or so. Then things got boring. Then stupid. Then stupider.

Asuna and Kirito have no chemistry together. Their entire relationship is just sort of there and it suuuuuuucks.

Heathcliff is a badass at least.

hahaha - jman loses once again :D

duckroll

kayos90 has been asking for a photo of what the F/Z BD-Box II packaging looks like for a while now, so I finally noticed that they actually have a photo of it at the end of their commercials promoting the set:

4uYLe.jpg

Up until the ending it was a very entertaining 8. The characters could be grating and ridiculous, but I was having a good time.

That was my plan also but I was so Indifferent to 79 that I decided to watch Seed and now Destiny before the rest of them.
absolutely loved 0080 though.

BluWacky

Is this the point where I brag about having tickets for a screening of this in October?

Because I have tickets booked for a screening of this in October. Just saying.

As, now, do I, plus flights and hotel for the night. Sod the cost - I really, really want to see this (and Blood-C). And I'll book to see Wolf Children in London the week before when tickets go on sale.

The last time I was in Edinburgh I was giving evidence in court. I would like to have a better memory to replace that one...

Reknoc

This is what I've been doing as well. Only ultra slowly, so far I've only got through 0079, Zeta, ZZ and Char's Counterattack over the space of a good few years.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
why can't Yurimates be a little bit longer. I like the show.
Have you watch the previous series?

I'm actually eating some right now. Green tea ice cream is godlike.
It is certainly lovely.

Thanks! I'm finally branded forever.

In celebration of my official recognition as GAF's biggest Kofuku-no-Kagaku fan, I suppose I'll change my avatar to this most excellent image I found on Happy Science's European website for a couple of days and then switch back to Yayoi.
I really should finish off the other films. Especially if..

They'll be showing the new Happy Science movie in October!

You know.. at the begining of this season, I did something I never did before in my 20 years of watching anime
Well I certainly have a long way to go.

Youre thinking too much about it. I dont think the show is intended for that.
Overthinking is what makes the show good. Don't take away what little entertainment value it has.

You can dye your hair in the game. I thought you'd know that by now after seeing Lizbeth.
So you're saying if you dye in the game you dye in real life? Wow. The stakes in SAO certainly decreased now.

Sword Art Online 09

Asuna and Kirito meet up with some old friends after scoping out the Boss of the area.
A really stupid legion Leroy Jenkins it into battle with the monster taking on heavy damage in the process.
Now I wish they really did scream that. Would have made the show much much better. Thanks SAO, you found another way to disappoint me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom