• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Otome wa Boku ni Koishteru: Futari no Elder 02
This episode was a better self contained story than the first, but with only one episode remaining it is difficult to imagine things appropriately coming to a close in any meaningful manner. As an outlet for fairly tactful drama you could do worse I suppose.
Yeah, I wonder why they even bothered. Well, unless this is just an ad for the game. :p

A foolish question, you can choose both!
But that violates the law of waifus or something. lol

Poor Shinji. :p

BluWacky

Watching this immediately after Ghost in the Shell provides an unexpected point of comparison, as the two films have some vague similarities in the mood they seek to create and how they go about trying to create it. It makes the shortcomings of The Garden of Sinners stand out in greater relief. Two things stood out to me in particular: the writing and the music. Both scripts have a lot of vaguely philosophical rambling, but while in Ghost in the Shell clear themes of the mind-body dichotomy and personal identity emerge that engage with the thinking on those subjects present in both science fiction and philosophy, the ruminations of The Garden of Sinners are considerably more vague and airy, using metaphors with no substance behind them, bringing up life and death while asking no discernible questions about their nature. It made me appreciate the moments where Ghost in the Shell doesn't talk much more; The Garden of Sinners rarely stays quiet even when the visuals seem to demand it. A similar problem can be seen in Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack - while I am somewhat fond of the music itself, it is almost always over-orchestrated and bombastic, at odds with the contemplative nature of the rest of the film. On the other hand, Kenji Kawai's soundtrack for Ghost in the Shell is always understated, leaning towards ambient, tribal sounds, and fits into a cohesive whole.

I couldn't agree more with this entire paragraph.

It's been a long time since I watched the first Garden of Sinners film (I've only seen the first three) but what struck me at the time was not just that the dialogue in the film is empty and pointless, but also that the actual content of the film - the events that actually take place - is resolutely non-philosophical. It's a monster of the week story, but dressed up with flowery dialogue that adds absolutely nothing to the experience except tedium.

DiGiKerot

It's been a long time since I watched the first Garden of Sinners film (I've only seen the first three) but what struck me at the time was not just that the dialogue in the film is empty and pointless, but also that the actual content of the film - the events that actually take place - is resolutely non-philosophical. It's a monster of the week story, but dressed up with flowery dialogue that adds absolutely nothing to the experience except tedium.

I seem to remember reading quote from Nasu about KnK a while back, in which he claimed that he felt that regular novels had to be "at least twice as interesting" as Visual Novels in order to compensate for the lack of sound and visuals. The stupid dialogue is clearly just his attempt to overcompensate!

I think that stuff probably at it's worst in the first couple of instalments, and maybe part four as well. Part five (Paradox Paradigm) isn't quite so bad about that, and benefits from being an interesting idea with superb execution. Part six (Oblivion Recorder) isn't too bad about that either.

-edit- On the subject of the music, I didn't actually think it was that bad in the first movie at least - the only point at which it got particularly bombastic was during the rooftop battle. Most of the other music is strangely downplayed and ambient in comparison to Kajiuras usual work. Some of the later instalments are somewhat more Kajiura-as-usual, but I thought the score for the first picture was pretty interesting.

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 7
i2pLY.png

So you went with this instead? Oh, ok...
Beach episode. Pretty much what I expected from this show. Then it had some sort of political mumbo jumbo in the demon world or whatever. I'm still not sure what the show is trying to do besides being about a pervert in a school full of hot magical girls. At least Queen's Blade had some sort of focus. Oh well, I still enjoy the show for what it is.

cajunator

Banned
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 7

Beach episode. Pretty much what I expected from this show. Then it had some sort of political mumbo jumbo in the demon world or whatever. I'm still not sure what the show is trying to do besides being about a pervert in a school full of hot magical girls. At least Queen's Blade had some sort of focus. Oh well, I still enjoy the show for what it is.

Is this show trying to out-Toloveru Toloveru?

fertygo

I seem to remember reading quote from Nasu about KnK a while back, in which he claimed that he felt that regular novels had to be "at least twice as interesting" as Visual Novels in order to compensate for the lack of sound and visuals. The stupid dialogue is clearly just his attempt to overcompensate!

I think that stuff probably at it's worst in the first couple of instalments, and maybe part four as well. Part five (Paradox Paradigm) isn't quite so bad about that, and benefits from being an interesting idea with superb execution. Part six (Oblivion Recorder) isn't too bad about that either.

Part 3 also not bad at this... the final movie is the worst offender of this though LOL.

I only read the novel counterpart for the first movie.. the writing actually more interesting n less boring and empty than what shown in the movie. The movie cut a lot of it n just insert some of it for just being there also not helping.

I want comment a little about Kajiura's OST, I really don't mind if its feel too bombastic cause its capture the nature of series (or especially nature of Type-moon's works)perfectly IMO. TYPE-MOON overdramatic gothic nature captured well in the OST. Kenji Kawai make the score for F/SN TV and UBW movie just feel underwhelming compared to Kajiura's work in KnK and F/Z.

BluWacky

I should check out part 5 as everyone says it's the best one. I remember quite enjoying 3 because I felt it toned down the mumbo jumbo and "embraced" the fact that it was a monster of the week story better.

Alas, with my anime blog now dead, I don't have a record of what I thought at the time any more. I did find a post I made on here in 2008 basically saying "wtf????" about the first two films, but not many people had watched them at that point :(

DiGiKerot

I should check out part 5 as everyone says it's the best one. I remember quite enjoying 3 because I felt it toned down the mumbo jumbo and "embraced" the fact that it was a monster of the week story better.

Alas, with my anime blog now dead, I don't have a record of what I thought at the time any more. I did find a post I made on here in 2008 basically saying "wtf????" about the first two films, but not many people had watched them at that point :(

You should at least give part five a go. I don't really think it needs a huge amount of franchise knowledge (it doesn't specifically have any obvious immediate story ties to the other parts, at least in terms of requiring knowledge of ongoing story threads). It is a very deliberately obtuse movie, though, and it's also one of the only two parts of KnK that are actually movie length. It's actually pretty draining to watch, and it's definitely not something to watch when tired.

Part six is also somewhat closer in style to part three than to the rest of the series, though it's a little goofier about it (and probably has my favourite soundtrack of the series as well - I think parts one and six are the only ones I bothered to rip the OST disks for).

I actually remember reading (and commenting upon) your blog post on the matter, not that I can remember what either of us said about it at this point ^^;

That's true. The film should have cut half the dialogue and embraced its pulpy supernatural horror. The writing really is its weakest link.

If only Nasu learned that twice as much doesn't translate into twice as interesting.

-edit- On the subject of the music, I didn't actually think it was that bad in the first movie at least - the only point at which it got particularly bombastic was during the rooftop battle. Most of the other music is strangely downplayed and ambient in comparison to Kajiuras usual work. Some of the later instalments are somewhat more Kajiura-as-usual, but I thought the score for the first picture was pretty interesting.

I like the score as music taken in itself, but its volume and energy was at odds with Shiki's cool, detached demeanor and the nearly deserted world she wandered through. It needed more pensive melancholy to complement the visual atmosphere. The style Kajiura used for Fate/Zero was more understated, and would have been a better fit for this.

Grzi

Space Brothers 19

This was one of the slowest episodes of this show, and that's saying something.
But it was also utterly amazing.
What a great show.

cajunator

Banned
Part 3 also not bad at this... the final movie is the worst offender of this though LOL.

I only read the novel counterpart for the first movie.. the writing actually more interesting n less boring and empty than what shown in the movie. The movie cut a lot of it n just insert some of it for just being there also not helping.

I want comment a little about Kajiura's OST, I really don't mind if its feel too bombastic cause its capture the nature of series (or especially nature of Type-moon's works)perfectly IMO. TYPE-MOON overdramatic gothic nature captured well in the OST. Kenji Kawai make the score for F/SN TV and UBW movie just feel underwhelming compared to Kajiura's work in KnK and F/Z.

Seventh Heaven is one of my favorite Kalafina soundtracks. I haven't seen the show but I sure as hell love the music.

Branduil

I seem to remember reading quote from Nasu about KnK a while back, in which he claimed that he felt that regular novels had to be "at least twice as interesting" as Visual Novels in order to compensate for the lack of sound and visuals.

So basically he never understood the appeal or strengths of novels in the first place.

fertygo

Tari Tari 4
I put this show onhold for awhile n want to catch up, but.. is the face always this weird?
I know the design in on derpy side but its never really bothering me till now.
So basically he never understood the appeal or strengths of novels in the first place.

Nasu is a hack and bad writer, but come on you know what he really mean with that.

Narag

Any chance the wayback machine on archive.org cached it?

Reknoc

Diagnosis: SAO (5-6)

If this show was just Kirito solving murders around the world of Sword Art Online I would probably be enjoying this series a lot more, and I'm already enjoying it as it is! Ditch Asuna though, she's a crappy sidekick. Now Klein, he would be a good sidekick.

cajunator

Banned
Diagnosis: SAO (5-6)

If this show was just Kirito solving murders around the world of Sword Art Online I would probably be enjoying this series a lot more, and I'm already enjoying it as it is!

Its pretty good so far. Except like...
Cute characters die too much

Ultimadrago

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 8

i8tgzFYSSBhxv.PNG

You callin' me a liar?

Guineas is one wacky dude. Anyhow, I always love when I happen upon .gif origins by chance. Someone here posted it at some point, but I can't remember who:

I forgot who here posted it, but it's a fun "laugh at someone's expense" scene. As for the story,
Aina is starting to see the beast inside her brother. The man is obsessed with full control over his power and doesn't want funding cut off before his vision is complete. Along with an interesting contrast from Shiro in terms of his values as a commander. This latest mission was risky and he went into it without fail while Michel reminded him, "Can't we have the same objective we used to before? Let's all live?" This was the objective given from Shiro on the first mission with his squad. Things have changed up a bit since, but it could be argued that Shiro relied on faith of the members to begin with at this point.

I liked the destruction of mechas in this one. Plenty of explosions to go around and loud falls to be had between the few involved. The ending was neat as well, I seem to enjoy the
"You can't always be the hero you want to be"
catch in stories. Though I wonder what
the last soldier Shiro killed had left to fight with. She said "Ill finish you, but her Anti-personal shots were used and her mech's shooting arm was out of commission, I believe.

This episode was an enjoyable experience. The elements regarding the war, personal relations and issues upon "humanizing the enemy" were executed in a fashion that flowed well through and through.

On a side note, I'm alright with the eyecatch, but must it always be a droopy-eyed Aina?

Articalys

Saimoe Round 1 - Group D, Day 3 Results:

D03
1st 266 Hajime Kunihiro @ Saki
2nd 236 Suzu Hagimura @ Seitokai Yakuindomo
3rd 125 Henriette Mystere @ Detective Opera Milky Holmes

D07
1st 328 Madoka Kyouno @ Rinne No Lagrange
2nd 291 Teru Miyanaga @ Saki
3rd 28 Tomoki Sawamura @ Saki

D11
1st 250 Makoto Kikuchi @ The Idolmaster
2nd 241 Karuta Roromiya @ Inu X Boku SS
3rd 140 Fear Kubrick @ C Cubed

-----------------------------------------------

BluWacky

Any chance the wayback machine on archive.org cached it?

You're a genius.

Bear in mind I was younger then, and more prone to hyperbole:

me from 2008 said:
Let’s talk positives. This first film in the Kara no Kyoukai sequence is undeniably beautiful, from the almost photographic backgrounds to the subtle CGI shading that gives the whole film a slightly ethereal look. There’s some totally pointless bits where the animators were obviously just showing off - the sequence where Shiki eats a tub of ice cream with only one hand, for instance. The voice acting is really rather excellent, if somewhat downbeat, and for all of Yuki Kajiura’s incapability to stop writing the same score over and over again her work does fit the film.

Now, unfortunately, we must talk negatives. Specifically OH GOOD GOD HOW BORING IS THIS TWADDLE???!?!?!

I’m a patient man when it comes to anime, I really am. I also watch all sorts of pseudo-pretentious stuff quite happily. It’s saying something that whoever directed this “film” deserves a slow, lingering death involving nonsensical dialogue and forcing him to look at crumbling buildings for five seconds at a time.

I’m not an idiot. I know when I’m being bullshitted. The script for this is boring and pedestrian, dressed up in a cavalcade of flowery bollocks about floating and flying as metaphors for existence and adding in ridiculous plot contrivances.
A bedridden woman with powers of sort-of astral projection and compulsion I can buy - but somehow she magically knocks a bloke she has nothing to do with into a coma, that a woman who makes magic living puppet arms doesn’t even seem to care about? And if anyone actually understood her reasons for killing the girls I top my hat to you, good sirrahs, because I think she neatly sidestepped the question; doesn’t she say something like “she just wanted to talk to them”? If so, WHY COMPEL THEM TO JUMP OFF A BUILDING???
Furthermore, most of the dialogue goes round and round in circles signifying nothing at all; it gives us no insight, the characters just spout empty words that seem profound purely because they’re confusing, and when they’re not doing that they tend to be walking around veeeeeeeeery sloooooooooowly or not at all.

Kara no Kyoukai makes me angry for many reasons. Mostly, however, I’m angry at myself. I’m angry because I really want to see the next part, because in between all the “I dreamt of a butterfly. LET US EAT ICE CREAM AND PONDER ITS SYMBOLISM” crap there’s some gorgeous action and an interesting setup for some intriguing characters, and I hope that a different director and possibly a different script writer will mean that it’s not quite so frustratingly obtuse.

(addendum - has anyone watched this that isn’t either Type Moon mad or just knows Tsukihime fairly well? I can’t imagine how impenetrable this film must be if you’re not familiar with Shiki’s magic…cutting…thing… that I’ve forgotten the name of, amongst others. Talk about pandering to a fanbase.)

I did write about the second film but I'm not reposting that because I mixed up schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder the whole way through the original post which I'm a bit embarrassed about now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom