• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

2012021202131218c8juqp.jpg

looks like a K-On rip-off masterpiece.

cajunator

Banned

Kazzy

But AWO already exists. It just doesn't come out for weeks on end.

Hm, I have that in my library so I must have listened to it at some point. I guess it just never grabbed me, will have to give it another shot.

Ha! Post parodying. I'll take tahat as a good sign.

Ezalc

I adored it but I can see where he's coming from. Sai Saici and the Russians were unlike able at the start and in general Domon vs the world was justified since everyone was a dick. I appreciated the cast better in the second half which also coincided with a softening to Domon's character.

I can agree with the fact that there are unlikeable characters, but all of them? Nope. If you don't like Schwarz there is something wrong man.

Just go ahead and punch me, Domon-style.

I'm good man, I'm more of a Sturm und Drang kind of guy.

Jex

So I've recently picked up the Roujin Z movie from 1991 on Blu-Ray. For those of you who haven't heard of the title, you may be forgiven for thinking that it was directed by big-name director. The marketing the for the Blu-Ray name drops Satoshi Kon (Millenium Actress) and Katshiro Otomo (Akira) but the movie was actually directed by Hiroyuki Kitakubo. His directorial works include Golden Boy, Pop Chaser and Blood: The Last Vampire. Not quite the same calibre of creator.

So what is Roujin Z about? Essentially it's a story about the problem of how a modern, industrialised nation with a robust welfare state deals with the problem of an ageing population that requires more medical treatment and attention as they grow older. This is a real problem for just about every developed nation that promises to provide some level of healthcare for the elderly population - everyone is living longer, the longer you live the more medical conditions you acquire the more expensive you become to keep alive. It's the kind of thing that threatens to bankrupt a country as the ratio elderly to younger people shifts over time. This is only starting to become a problem in European countries but in Japan, due to it's rapidly ageing population, they had to start worrying about it before us.

Roujin Z tells the tale of how a Japanese government might attempt to deal with what looks to be a rather intractable problem. In their case, a company has invented a robotic bed, the titular Roujin-Z, that can take care of a patients every need, doing away with the need for expensive hospital visits and 24/7 nursing. However, something goes awry with the machine and chaos ensues.

RoujinZ4.jpg

Now, that all sounds rather serious, and it is, but the film itself is not a hugely sombre affair. It treats it's subject matter: ageing, death, the loss of dignity associated with growing older etc with great respect. However, that doesn't stop it from being a surprisingly cheerful and light-hearted affair, with silly robots beds doing battles with bulldozers and improbably chase sequences involving helicopters. Which I think, honestly, is a healthy way to approach the material because otherwise this is the kind of piece that could have been fairly depressing.

RoujinZ1.jpg

The film itself has an extremely basic plotline featuring only a few major characters. However they do a pretty good of fleshing out the important characters to the point where you actually care about what's going in the various elaborate action sequences that make up the second half of the film. I guess the important thing for most people is that the main heroine is plucky and resourceful.

RoujinZ7.jpg

The animation for this film is at it's most spectacular when dealing with mechanical animation, it even has what I like to think of as Akira wires, which can magically move on their own and snake all over the place to create cool effects. Some of the final action sequences are particularly spectacular in this regard. Which isn't to say that the character animation is bad, because it's not. In fact I really like how exaggerated and comical they go with some of the character expressions:

RoujinZ2.jpg

I can't really think of any reason not to recommend this movie. It's suitable for all ages, it deals with an important social theme and it's got lots of 2D mechanical animation in it!

A brief note on the disc itself: the quality of the picture is, as you'd hope, good but there are practically no extras, which is a little disappointing. My only real quibble is the fact that there's no Japanese 2.0 track, it's 5.1 or go home. As a result there are some scenes which sound a little weird on a traditional stereo set up.

cajunator

Banned
I thought you might say that.

Well now I have BLurays of K-On season 1 and 2 so all thats left is a night of work and then its time to party.

sleepykyo

Just wait till the inevitable crossover.

Isn't that the premise of
Vampire Knight
?

In the anime, Kaname is revealed to be Yuki's older brother. They are also the result of inbreeding. Seems vampires like to keep it in the family.

So the west just has to remake that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So I've recently picked up the Roujin Z movie from 1991 on Blu-Ray. For those of you who haven't heard of the title, you may be forgiven for thinking that it was directed by big-name director. The marketing the for the Blu-Ray name drops Satoshi Kon (Millenium Actress) and Katshiro Otomo (Akira) but the movie was actually directed by Hiroyuki Kitakubo. His directorial works include Golden Boy, Pop Chaser and Blood: The Last Vampire. Not quite the same calibre of creator.
Please, say nothing bad about Golden Boy.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So.... translations are the following.

Kirito: The meals that Asuna cooks are really tasty...
This is bliss...

Asuna: After we eat this I'll have sex with Kirito-Kun.
Sex with Kirito-Kun Sex with Kirito-Kun Sex with Kirito-Kun Sex with Kirito-Kun Sex with Kirito-Kun Sex with Kirito-Kun
I can have sex I want to have sex I want-

EDIT: Spoilered tag the image cuz apparently even after a few days I can't even post stuff about episode 10 even though yall post information about episodes of other shows spoiling details a few days after. W/e....

Kazzy

Hyouka 21

Chitanda is a psychopath! She has gone from being a bumbling idiot in the culture festival, to this.

The earlier character development continues to pay-off in the best ways possible. This episode was oddly reminiscent of an episode of K-ON! that I watched recently, with a great sense of melancholy being drawn out of the most unassuming of events. A lot of the shots were real eye-candy, and did much to contribute to that prevailing mood

Satoshi's mask continues to slip. When you think about it, his personal outlook is actually quite depressing.

And the astronomy clubs looks like it'd be fun.

Yuri Yuri 11

Akari's gonna Akari. A cool episode, and this is the first time that I've noticed her sister never opens her eyes, which is appropriately unsettling.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SAO doujin is surprisingly terrible honestly.

It's just kirito banging asuna without any semblance of story.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hyouka 21

Chitanda is a psychopath! She has gone from being a bumbling idiot in the culture festival, to this.

The earlier character development continues to pay-off in the best ways possible. This episode was oddly reminiscent of an episode of K-ON! that I watched recently, with a great sense of melancholy being drawn out of the most unassuming of events. A lot of the shots were real eye-candy, and did much to contribute to that prevailing mood

Satoshi's mask continues to slip. When you think about it, his personal outlook is actually quite depressing.

And the astronomy clubs looks like it'd be fun.

Yuri Yuri 11

Akari's gonna Akari. A cool episode, and this is the first time that I've noticed her sister never opens her eyes, which is appropriately unsettling.

If OrekixChitanda doesn't happen at the end i swear i will break something.

SAO doujin is surprisingly terrible honestly.

It's just kirito banging asuna without any semblance of story.

Well... I wasn't talking about doujins. I don't even read them. However, little bits like the one I just posted is so good.

Mandoric

Banned
Okay. That gave me a chuckle. SAO is the gift that keeps on giving. What has it given us so far? It gave us gifs. It gave us a war. It's given us awesome art. Idk...

It's given you two years worth!

if you all are actually still talking about it in 2014, i'm going to hang myself.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's given you two years worth!

if you all are actually still talking about it in 2014, i'm going to hang myself.
I will remember this just for you mandoric.

2014: Year of the gloppening

Branduil

I just had an idea for a new anime. It's about a group of executives who sponsor adaptations of cute girl anime; but get this- the sponsors are cute girls themselves.

Cute girls doing cute girl anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom