• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

How was Black Rock Shooter?

ibkPlYRBfvMX6j.jpg

iH7ae7O84WVdz.gif

i8rqRWX9djvVY.gif

iGh6salMa1O6J.gif

icLhLfSLlZAmJ.jpg

iSAQczirWvFUu.jpg

isiRmAKn0thP8.gif

izH0mfD6emwfi.jpg

ibessal5dglIip.jpg

Suffering

iOgswwlCp3x8e.jpg

SPOILERS

iw7Ag2p5KYXll.jpg

SUFFERING

ifWg1GXgQ0T4L.jpg

impYQNqxA5itq.jpg

iEFtraiAxyt8c.PNG

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yuru Yuri 11

Wow, I think I actually enjoyed that episode. They even had some sakuga in the beginning for no reason other than to show off that they can put money into the show if they wanted to. lol

The use of the
first OP was pretty cute too

firehawk12

Subete no aware
UtaKoi 11

xLiWFl.jpg

BLUSHING KOBAYASHI MOE.

Ahem. Wow, so all of these episodes have had a feminist slant, but even still most of those stories involved women giving up something in order to advance up the social ladder.

That's not to say this week's episode wasn't equally tragic, but it had a much clearly objective in terms of showing a woman trying to not only working for someone else, but perhaps on behalf of her entire gender. Indeed, they have her say that she's writing her book to show a "graceful strength" that a woman possesses.

5HArSl.jpg

(I also still love that anime does the transparent hair thing for the eyes.  I don't know why, but it's both charming and unique)

I just wonder how much of this is romanticized retconning and how much is true, genuine resistance to a patriarchal society. Like, some people have made feminist readings of Shakespeare and Chaucer, showing that they were trying to write about progressive women at times, but there's always the question of how much contemporary baggage is being ascribed to various historical figures in order to fit a particular narrative.

I mean, based on UtaKoi, they even say that a lot of the women's names weren't known back then because their role as authors or poets was simply not as important as a male poet, so there's a tacit admission that even historically, male writers were more important than the female ones (who were poets presumably because they were idle and needed things to do).

That said, I almost want to believe that there was a group of women who suffered and tried to resist being defined by their gender. At the very least, it makes you think better of the world even in a small, minor way.

Oh, just to make this a little less serious because this is an anime thread full of gifs and whatnot, there's some :sdburton in this episode too:
EPmHkl.jpg

Anyhow, I can't believe UtaKoi is my surprise hit of the season. I knew nothing about it, I couldn't be the furthest person from their target demographic, since I a) don't care about medieval literature and b) don't care about poetry and yet, here I am because of how they decided to frame all of these stories.

It almost makes me wish that someone could make a Jane Austen anime or at least a female writers of the English canon anime and show their struggles at being both idly educated and being expected to marry a man because a woman is essentially nothing on her own.

Rinne no Lagrange 13
Looks like Lagrange. I guess things have happened behind the scenes as Lan and Mugi are fighting I guess.
Mostly just a reintroduction episode. At least they didn't resort to too many flashbacks. The reused animation is left for the OP.
The OP isn't that bad, but it's no where near as good as the first season's. I like the ED a lot, even if it reuses the same chair motif.
8m03P.jpg

She's no Muginami, but she'll do.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yuru Yuri 11

Absolutely fabulous "final" episode for the series. The
time travel shenanigans
an episode after the
time paradoxes
of the last episode was pretty neat.

This episode managed to capture the fun and lighthearted essence that is Yuru Yuri, the scenes between Akari and her sister were great but what made the episode really awesome was the sentimentality. Akari coming to the realization that she wouldn't change anything and the levels of affection between the characters coming to the forefront, which is nice because that gets lost at times thanks to shenanigans of the show.

Sad that theres only one episode to go. I will really miss this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom