• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am, as always, immensely, undoubtedly trustworthy.

Trust me.

InjuO.gif
Please don't do this. I'm trying to relax before resuming my buttpounding courtesy of Ornstein and Smough.

Go_Ly_Dow

lol @ Chuunibyou PV. This show looks like it will be very fun.

I'm also happy about Tari Tari's sales. Part of me would like to believe that this is a result of Wein.

Tari Tari 11

That was nice. I was surprised and happy how the big drama moment didn't actually cause any drama.

Taichi and Sawa moment... :lol

wonzo

Banned
Tari Tari 11

I was expecting something to go down with the school but I certainly wasn't expecting
it to completely close down! It's pretty creative in the way they used Japan's declining birth rate as a very significant factor.
I was expecting some kind of incredibly dramatic revelation but the way in which they handled it was really well done. I guess the students are now
gonna have their futile moment of defiance
and while I thought it was gonna be pretty laughable if they eventually decided to go down that route, the execution of everything so far has me genuinely looking forward to it.

That's actually about where it should "normally" be, I'd guess. Volume 2 also only sold 3,239 in its first week. Volume 1 only sold bigger numbers than usual because it was sold at a discount.
They're doing the same thing with Moyashimon Returns, too; the volume that barely charted this week is almost 2000 yen cheaper than normal. So if you thought its numbers were bad now...
there are not enough unflipped table's in the world... :(

trejo

New Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai PV!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-3VnX8Rs0

Looks fantastic.

On second thought, I think it's for the best if I avoid this show altogether as from the looks of it it seems like something I'd hate with pretty much every fiber of my being.

I've mentioned before that I don't care about more FMP if it's just gonna be all srs bsns from here on out but Jesus H. Christ at this point I would gladly take anything from Kyoani just as long as it's not set primarily in a fucking high school setting yet again.

fertygo

Why KyoAni can't make at the very least.. let say cute girl drink tea show in samurai's era or hell, school in Taishou's era.

Seriously why they insisting make all their show in damn same setting.

cajunator

Banned
Why KyoAni can't make at the very least.. let say cute girl drink tea show in samurai's era or hell, school in Taishou's era.

Thats why I love SHAFT so much. They try all kinds of settings and backgrounds.

Thoraxes

Tari Tari - 11

Why are Wakana and Wien stuck with all this badness? The ending is gonna be kinda corny as fuck, but it was kinda predictable. I don't hate it, but it's just so cheesy.

Anyone wanna make a bet that they show Vice-Principal seeing Wakana's Mom's Ghost watching the kids during their performance of her song?

Because your high school years are generally considered to be the best part of your life here. By placing it in that setting, filmmakers/studios can immediately create an artificial nostalgia, even if your actual HS life wasn't that great. It's more of an ideal, I guess.

It's the same thing with childhood friends. Most kids are together through middle school at the very least, so a lot of folks have very long term friends early on in life. It's an easy way to get your audience to relate to the characters and avoid having to create a relationship from zero.

Of course that hardly justifies either of the above, but I do see why they do it. I too wish that storytellers would leave HS behind. Japanese live action film and TV aren't much better.

Thoraxes

I would kill for more shows in a semi-collegiate setting like Nodame, Genshiken, Honey and Clover, or even something like Welcome to the NHK!

Firemind

I don't really have a problem with the setting. Now I'm not familiar with the source material, but from the pv it seems like yet another KyoAni show where romance, comedy and drama blend, making it both noncommittal, unfunny and nondramatic. Either make a proper romance, a proper comedy or a proper drama. None of this half-assed stuff.

Boy meets girl. Stuff happens. How hilarious and original!

fertygo

Because your high school years are generally considered to be the best part of your life here. By placing it in that setting, filmmakers/studios can immediately create an artificial nostalgia, even if your actual HS life wasn't that great. It's more of an ideal, I guess.

It's the same thing with childhood friends. Most kids are together through middle school at the very least, so a lot of folks have very long term friends early on in life. It's an easy way to get your audience to relate to the characters and avoid having to create a relationship from zero.

Of course that hardly justifies either of the above, but I do see why they do it. I too wish that storytellers would leave HS behind. Japanese live action film and TV aren't much better.

Whatever the reason, the "school" setting that KyoAni love is your usual modern school, nothing extra ordinary, is the exact similar.

That why I said, I don't mind if they just try something different... HS in Taishou era for example, I gonna watch and support the hell out if KyoAni make boring scool moeblob slice-of-life in Taishou Era, that would be goddamn beautiful.

But shit... they would not even consider this.

duckroll

KyoAni needs to go all out and prove that they can do more than just the same shit every other season. Time for them to work on the next Gundam TV series.

Thoraxes

Hen Zemi.
Was the post-release better than the TV airing? I've heard mixed things from many people.
KyoAni needs to go all out and prove that they can do more than just the same shit every other season. Time for them to work on the next Gundam TV series.
May as well let them do some work on the next inevitable Macross series too.
You'll love the first 1/3 of Wolf Children!
Whenever it releases, that will be the time.

Firemind

Was the post-release better than the TV airing? I've heard mixed things from many people.

Both the OVAs and TV series are watchable because of the eccentric humour. There are some weak episodes, but they're just 12 minutes long, so whatever.

Not really in a college setting, but NANA is brilliant.

Whatever the reason, the "school" setting that KyoAni love is your usual modern school, nothing extra ordinary, is the exact similar.

That why I said, I don't mind if they just try something different... HS in Taishou era for example, I gonna watch and support the hell out if KyoAni make boring scool moeblob slice-of-life in Taishou Era, that would be goddamn beautiful.

But shit... they would not even consider this.

What I'm saying is that the usual modern school is exactly what people here are nostalgic for, and why it rears its head into nearly every piece of Japanese media.

KyoAni are practically experts at perfecting the setting at this point. Hell, Hyouka is nostalgic to me and I didn't even grow up here! Just my experiences going to work have effected the way I watch the show.

It's weird, honestly. XD. And I'd love to see something like you described as well, believe me.

Thoraxes

Both the OVAs and TV series are watchable because of the eccentric humour. There are some weak episodes, but they're just 12 minutes long, so whatever.

Not really in a college setting, but NANA is brilliant.
It looks like an older setting though. It's going on the list.
What about Paradise Kiss or Gokinjo Monogatari if you want to go further back.

Both look interesting. To the list.

duckroll

What I'm saying is that the usual modern school is exactly what people here are nostalgic for, and why it rears its head into nearly every piece of Japanese media.

KyoAni are practically experts at perfecting the setting at this point. Hell, Hyouka is nostalgic to me and I didn't even grow up here! Just my experiences going to work have effected the way I watch the show.

It's weird, honestly. XD. And I'd love to see something like you described as well, believe me.

I honestly wonder how much of it is really "nostalgia" and how much of it is actually directly targeting an audience who can relate to the situation because they're in it right now. It's different for everyone I suppose, but it'll be interesting to see which type of person makes up the majority of the audience actually watching and buying said shows and merchandising.

You're probably right and I'm ok with that. I mean... it's only fair :(

He's not in the poster art so you know he's going to eventually die. I don't know why they're trying to lure everyone into a sense of familiarity with the Yuuya just to kill him off. I have a new resolve: If you're an anime and you want to play with ma' motions then you betta bring yo A-game!

I honestly wonder how much of it is really "nostalgia" and how much of it is actually directly targeting an audience who can relate to the situation because they're in it right now. It's different for everyone I suppose, but it'll be interesting to see which type of person makes up the majority of the audience actually watching and buying said shows and merchandising.

It's odd. I have a lot of students in junior high who'll have K-On! pencil boards etc. They're definitely hitting the JHS/HS demographic more than a lot of people probably think. Though I'm not even sure how they would get their hands on the shows so they could watch them due to the ridiculous prices here. Streaming certainly isn't an option and unless you have paid TV, you're not going to be able to watch most anime series. Even if you could, the air times make it difficult too.

duckroll

It's odd. I have a lot of students in junior high who'll have K-On! pencil boards etc. They're definitely hitting the JHS/HS demographic more than a lot of people probably think. Though I'm not even sure how they would get their hands on the shows so they could watch them due to the ridiculous prices here. Streaming certainly isn't an option and unless you have paid TV, you're not going to be able to watch most anime series. Even if you could, the air times make it difficult too.

Have you actually asked them about this? It would be interesting to have some direct answers about how Japanese kids approach anime as a medium. Streaming is actually a bigger option that some might think. There are quite a number of sites out there streaming shows as they air, including Bandai Channel and Niconico Douga. What about DVD rentals? Apparently the rental market in Japan is pretty strong because of how overpriced retail stuff are. I don't know if it's actually true though.

Eden of The East : The King of Eden

Scrap the return of the awful
amnesia
plot device and this could have been a decent 35 minute OVA. Instead it's a terribly paced film consisting almost entirely of filler. I wasn't much of a fan of the TV show, but this film hits some new lows. I hope Paradise Lost is much better than this, but that might be expecting too much.

Have you actually asked them about this? It would be interesting to have some direct answers about how Japanese kids approach anime as a medium. Streaming is actually a bigger option that some might think. There are quite a number of sites out there streaming shows as they air, including Bandai Channel and Niconico Douga. What about DVD rentals? Apparently the rental market in Japan is pretty strong because of how overpriced retail stuff are. I don't know if it's actually true though.

Now that you mention it, I've never bothered to ask. I think I unconsciously just assumed they were watching on TV but that's probably the least realistic option.

I also completely forgot about the rental space. Given how most kids are terrible at using computers/internet over here, it's more likely that they're renting shows for 100 Yen a pop.

Of course I also don't live in a city center like Osaka or Tokyo so it's hard to say offhand, but most young adults in the 13-15 range are painfully awful at using computers. It's a different story if they're really into technology, but that's hardly the norm.

duckroll

Of course I also don't live in a city center like Osaka or Tokyo so it's hard to say offhand, but most young adults in the 13-15 range are painfully awful at using computers. It's a different story if they're really into technology, but that's hardly the norm.

That's an interesting point. Even I often forget that in a country like Japan, aside from the epicenters like Tokyo and Osaka, most of the rest of the country exists on a more leisurely and less advanced general way of life. It's just something you don't really think about when most of the media on the country is focused on the major city areas.

sonicmj1

Hells

These subtitles gave me a headache. Why can't they remember that every sentence needs a subject? They're fine outside of that, but every "Hard to keep going" and the like made me crazy.

This is practically the perfect cosmicblizzard movie. I like the craziness, some of the action, Linne, and basically the entire art direction, but it was the most literal-minded breakdown of shonen haato that I've ever experienced. It makes Spiral Power look subtle. That's not even an exaggeration.

I'm glad I did my part to support fairly-priced anime in Japan, and I had a good time with it, but there are so many parts where the pacing grinds to a halt so people can talk about how much they believe in something or another that I couldn't imagine rewatching it past the first 45 minutes.

You're probably right and I'm ok with that. I mean... it's only fair :(

He's not in the poster art so you know he's going to eventually die. I don't know why they're trying to lure everyone into a sense of familiarity with the Yuuya just to kill him off. I have a new resolve: If you're an anime and you want to play with ma' motions then you betta bring yo A-game!
This is Muv-Luv, man.
I don't expect anyone to live.

wonzo

Banned
Anaru%20Live%201.png

Android Malware Lures Otaku With Anohana's Anaru
Malware infected app promises to allow users to use the touchscreen to manipulate character's body

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day's Naruko "Anaru" Anjō is a pretty eye catching anime character, which is probably why virus writers have coopted the tsundere cutie.

Symantec reporrs that the Android.Maistealer carrying app requests permission to access contact data, then after the installation process, the malware provides the service it advertised: It allows a user to use the touchscreen to manipulate Anaru's body. Unfortunately, it also steals contact data from the victim's device.

Symantec's Joji Hamada said that spam is directing fans to a website that looks like the official Google Play store. "The app is not available on Google Play, as far as I am aware of, and is only available on these dedicated websites," Hamada wrote.

Alternate Source

lmao

That's an interesting point. Even I often forget that in a country like Japan, aside from the epicenters like Tokyo and Osaka, most of the rest of the country exists on a more leisurely and less advanced general way of life. It's just something you don't really think about when most of the media on the country is focused on the major city areas.

Yeah. I'm down in Kyushu so even the cities are still far from the more advanced, worldly epicenters. If I lived up in Fukuoka, it'd be a different story of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom