• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Will we ever see anything as amazing as Bubblegum Crisis or Dirty Pair again?
I know the answer but I was always kind of a dreamer.

Jex

More Psycho-Pass animation character art from Animate's free mag: http://www.animate.co.jp/special/charaby_tv/pc/charabyebook/

I don't know how I feel about the fact that simply by looking at these characters I can already explain their character-types. I mean, I suppose that good character art should give you an iisight into the character but these feel a little transparent. That guy with glasses is going to be serious and play by the rules, that guy with the white belt is rough around the edges and unpredictable etc etc.

Andrew J.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 04

"What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?"

"It's a basket. I wear a basket now. Baskets are cool."

wonzo

Banned
ibiwDTza9UBrV2.gif

Wonzo, you know what you have to do now.
clint_ew.gif

Kirito ranks high on the list for a good Shounen lead...however he breaks one golden rule so :/

I think its good.

What are the golden rules?

I watched a bit of it (like 3 episodes). I like the premise, and I like that Kirito isn't a dumbass most of the time. He has a few "DURRRRR" moments, but that tends to be rarer than it is for like every other shounen protagonist.

I watched a bit of it (like 3 episodes). I like the premise, and I like that Kirito isn't a dumbass most of the time. He has a few "DURRRRR" moments, but that tends to be rarer than it is for like every other shounen protagonist.

Gary Stu can do no wrong.

/XX/

I agree, but I also think that it's a reason why IG veterans aren't going to touch something like this with a ten-foot pole. That's not to say that you can't have a successful work which was created with the intentional to be successful in a specific niche, but creatively that's always hard and somewhat unnatural.
Yeah. Seeing it from an extremely skewed perspective one could think that once they catch you on a project like this, with such a predefined set of instructions, they can certainly require you twice... if there is no place or value for your creative input and end up only fulfilling the work of others I suppose that could make you lose weight (importance) inside the studio. A sense of self-fulfillment, pride and independence can make someone appear as unique and indispensable in the eyes of many.

I don't know how I feel about the fact that simply by looking at these characters I can already explain their character-types. I mean, I suppose that good character art should give you an iisight into the character but these feel a little transparent. That guy with glasses is going to be serious and play by the rules, that guy with the white belt is rough around the edges and unpredictable etc etc.
Maybe they want to put aside as a secondary matter the protagonist's interactions and focus on their objectives and missions as a team. Those share the same duties while being a seemingly tight ensemble, so an easy visual recognition from the get-go and a predictable attitude from each one helps the staff to achieve this uniqueness without confusing the spectator or dragging the characterization.

This is the kind of things we can see from buddy-cop movies; an heterogeneous cast (not counting cookie-cutter secondaries) that is very recognizable (preferably over-the-top) and show relatable traits or stereotypes to not detract anything from the 'action experience' itself these are immersed in.

Ultimadrago

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 10

X5YMw.jpg

It's not Cookies n Cream, therefore no one wants it.

I got some Terminator vibes from the
holes
in the first half. It didn't do anything for me besides that.

BZMfQ.jpg

This must have some future use...

The second half was much better. Although Soredemo is labeled a comedy, I find myself coming simply for various quirks of the characters themselves much more than for laughs (which come, but not often).

This portion of the episode illustrates my point. There's an old man
that is a spirit and he goes around town interacting (or attempting to, anyways).
In the short time given, I found myself enjoying the screen time spent with him and his various comments. The second half should've broken the rules and encompassed the entire episode.

OceanBlue

In my opinion, generally you want characters who look how they act because it helps you identify with them early on. The problem is when they don't ever develop beyond those stereotypes, but that's not really something you can fix by changing their character design.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fucking spoilers...

Also as far as mistakes go, he acts secretive for no reason and basically gets
a whole bunch of people killed.

I'm not sure if he ever makes any mistakes after that. I'd hope so.

You should tell us what episode you're on so we don't spoil shit for you.

/XX/

In my opinion, generally you want characters who look how they act because it helps you identify with them early on. The problem is when they don't ever develop beyond those stereotypes, but that's not really something you can fix by changing their character design.
Exactly! And I find true that most of the time you can assume those characters aren't going to change much, personality wise.

You should tell us what episode you're on so we don't spoil shit for you.

I did. Like 5 posts up from yours. lol.

And I wasn't being serious. "Married to the wrong character" could mean a lot since I am only 3 episodes in. I dont consider it a spoiler.

@ Poster below me: I KNOWWWWWWW.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Meh.

I did. Like 5 posts up from yours. lol.

And I wasn't being serious. "Married to the wrong character" could mean a lot since I am only 3 episodes in. I dont consider it a spoiler.

@ Poster below me: I KNOWWWWWWW.

Oh sorry. Fail.

sonicmj1

Guess I gotta realize just because I really really love something doesn't mean being super enthusiastic wouldn't be overhyping it :(

Don't blame yourself. Blame wonzo.

Random guess, but I'm assuming he's referring to protagonists creating explicitly defined romantic attachments to female characters.

How are you supposed to have slash fiction when there's a canon pairing in the way?

Ok I watched a bit more of SAO.

They are so inconsistent with the not being able to feel rule. Meh.

It's weird, cause technically the novel describes it as a uncomfortable feedback. So the stronger the attack, the more grating it feels.

I can't remember if the show ever actually describes this though.

Yup. Pretty much.

I'm used to that from other shows. Honestly it doesn't bother me too much.

It's weird, cause technically the novel describes it as a uncomfortable feedback. So the stronger the attack, the more grating it feels.

1st episode has Klein get kicked in the balls and get on the ground in pain, until Kirito tells him that you can't actually feel pain in SAO. It seems to mostly just be reactionary from the expectation of feeling pain.

The novel description makes far more sense.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The other day I read they don't feel anything and it's simply them reacting as they think they should. You literally can't get a straight answer when it comes to SAO.

Only one thing is for certain in that show and that is never buy too many keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom