• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rinne no Lagrange 20
p1sza.jpg

When did it become not summer?
This episode, save for the last minute or 2, could have probably aired at any point. Just some Jersey club antics. They get a new member of the club, but lose her after she learns its not a club about piloting robots.
Some sinister plot is slowly emerging, though it looks like it will be a while before anything really takes off.

Jex

[Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood] 58-59

The pacing in this extended finale is unbearable. Who thought this would be a good idea?

It's just occurred to me that by the time this finale has wrapped they'll have probably spent 14 or so episodes on it. That's longer than whole shows like Tsuritama, Madoka and Kids on the Slope.

Dresden

This is good news for the best team, the winning team, the ONLY team that matters.
Team Arata.
Oh, you. Little do you know that this will feature an original direction with a brand-new storyline.
Arata starts playing Starcraft and leaves for Korea, leaving Chihaya alone with Taichi.

Jex

Oh, you. Little do you know that this will feature an original direction with a brand-new storyline.
Arata starts playing Starcraft and leaves for Korea, leaving Chihaya alone with Taichi.

C'mon man, get with the times. He'll pick up Dota 2.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is good news for the best team, the winning team, the ONLY team that matters.
Team Arata.

Otherwise, I'm ready for more unbearably long and boring karuta matches that are long for the sake of being long. lol

I forgot that 26 more weeks of Chihayafuru means 26 more weeks of your evil romantic interloper schadenfreude. Maybe they'll just cut the entire subplot out in favor of more karuta and the joke will be on all of us!

Jex

I have never written at length about ∀ Gundam even though it's easily my favourite Gundam series and one of my favourite shows of all time. I have, from time to time, considered reviewing it at length but it's just one of those many things that I've never had time for. Thankfully someone else has: http://ogiuemaniax.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/a-boy-and-his-universe-turn-a-gundam/

If I had to describe Turn A Gundam using other anime titles, I would say it has the thematic elements of Panzer World Galient, half the grandeur of Legend of the Galactic Heroes (which keep in mind is still a vast amount), and characterization on the level of Eureka Seven. The show is amazing. It’s gripping in a way that shows Tomino at his finest, with its balance of heavy elements with a sort of lighthearted whimsy which also manages to enrich every aspect of the story, its characters, and its ideas. As I finished Turn A Gundam, I could feel it taking over my thoughts and emotions. It’s amazing, and I can’t get it out of my head.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd watch an anime about someone who was really good at DOTA2/SC2/SF4.

Just saying.

Maybe Daigo Umehara: The Animation.

BluWacky

I'd watch an anime about someone who was really good at DOTA2/SC2/SF4.

Just saying.

Maybe Daigo Umehara: The Animation.

I can't remember if Arcade Gamer Fubuki had anything like Street Fighter in it. Given that it mostly seemed to be about Fubuki's panties it probably didn't have the level of sophistication you might be hoping for...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can't remember if Arcade Gamer Fubuki had anything like Street Fighter in it. Given that it mostly seemed to be about Fubuki's panties it probably didn't have the level of sophistication you might be hoping for...

I don't think that it had Street Fighter, but it did have Fighting Vipers 2!

a3NcT.gif

Jex

Well it did have...

Too slow.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood] 58-59

The pacing in this extended finale is unbearable. Who thought this would be a good idea?

It's just occurred to me that by the time this finale has wrapped they'll have probably spent 14 or so episodes on it. That's longer than whole shows like Tsuritama, Madoka and Kids on the Slope.
You wished some of those shows were longer though.
Apollon - End
Perhaps if this series had actually been 26 episodes it might have worked, but in the end there was just too little time for the audience to forge the bonds with the characters that would be needed before this ending became impactful.
But yeah, I found the pacing of Brotherhood near the end to be something that made it difficult to wholly focus my attention on the show.

Soma

So is Hyouka actually a good show? I watched one episode and it doesn't seem terrible.

I legitimately love the show. I like to think that it gradually gets better though I started to really enjoy it by the third episode.

Very well directed, great attention to detail, lovely art and animation, great soundtrack and some pretty entertaining characters.

dimb

So is Hyouka actually a good show? I watched one episode and it doesn't seem terrible.
It has a lot of episodes that are just flat out boring early on, but by the second half it really kicks into gear and does a lot of pretty special things. It's probably my favorite show this season.

Jex

You wished some of those shows were longer though.

But yeah, I found the pacing of Brotherhood near the end to be something that made it difficult to wholly focus my attention on the show.

The difference being that lots of things actually happen in an episode of Kids on the Slope!

The mystery aspect doesn't seem to be the main focus.

The mystery aspect fill 50-80% of each episode. I would say that's the main focus of the show after all.

And I can't stand it if they talk 18 minutes long about a silly radio announcement (with a non-logicial solution)

Oh. Well what makes it a bad mystery show? Stupid mysteries?

stupid mysteries about totally trivial things
overdramatized
and the solutions are then not even logical but "lol, plot"

Many people like the show for the non-mystery elements but I can't ignore the mystery elements of the show.

dimb

dimb
(Today, 04:07 PM)

what the what
Blame duckroll.
Hyouka is a bad mystery show
Even though it deals in mysteries, the focus isn't on the mechanical unraveling of those mysteries but on the relationships between characters. As a mystery show it actually does certain things very right though. The dilemma and the small facets of it are usually laid out very clearly.
So some guy on AnimeSuki had a link to LST's new single that comes out in November. There's a decent chance this is Psycho-Pass's OP and is called abnormalize.
I can already see myself skipping this.

Kazzy

Gonna watch Hyouka then.

The mystery aspect doesn't seem to be the main focus. At least from episode 1.

wqhI1.gif

Oh, it is very much a mystery show, at least in as much as almost every episode is formed around the basis of one. There is certainly other stuff there, but whether or not you stick with Hyouka, will probably rest on your tolerance for those aforementioned mystery aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom