• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Because boring/bland/generic is just good sometimes. It's good to go for simplicity and just enjoy the character for what he/she does. Not every person has to be complicated, unorthodox, unique for people to like. I guess some of you don't understand the concept that even boring can be peaceful sometimes. Everything has to be unique, eye-popping.

The one trend I hate in anime is they always make the obvious love interest girl boring as hell and the other girls a lot more interesting. I'm not sure why its usually written like that. Silica, Sachi, Lisbeth are all WAY more interesting characters than Used goods.

Sachi was great.

Asuna doesn't seem that bad. I assume she gets worse as the series goes on?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Because boring/bland/generic is just good sometimes. It's good to go for simplicity and just enjoy the character for what he/she does. Not every person has to be complicated, unorthodox, unique for people to like. I guess some of you don't understand the concept that even boring can be peaceful sometimes. Everything has to be unique, eye-popping.

Tragic victim of split personality.

jman2050

No, you see, you're confusing "boring" with "familiar". Familiar characters are fine. Many of my favorite characters are archetypal in nature while not necessarily being eye-popping or unique. This is not the problem.

The problem with Asuna isn't that she's familiar, it's that she has little to no identifying characteristics whatsoever. She's like Kanade from Angel Beats or Kyousuke from Madoka, a walking plot device. And that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on the story you're trying to tell (that is essentially what Sachi is after all), but I'm pretty sure that type of character doesn't work as a central love interest

Or maybe it does and I just watch romantic relationships in fiction for entirely the wrong reasons.

kayos90

No, you see, you're confusing "boring" with "familiar". Familiar characters are fine. Many of my favorite characters are archetypal in nature while not necessarily being eye-popping or unique. This is not the problem.

The problem with Asuna isn't that she's familiar, it's that she has little to no identifying characteristics whatsoever. She's like Kanade from Angel Beats or Kyousuke from Madoka, a walking plot device. And that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on the story you're trying to tell (that is essentially what Sachi is after all), but I'm pretty sure that type of character doesn't work as a central love interest

Or maybe it does and I just watch romantic relationships in fiction for entirely the wrong reasons.

No. I'm sure that I know the difference between boring and familiar.

Grzi

Horizon - 10

Not bad, some pretty nice fights, the Shakespeare fight as especially well done.
Still, the best fight of the show remains the Kazuno fight from the first season. Hopefully we'll see something as great as that in the remaining three episodes, at least something that is animated as good as that scene.
How far into the novels is the show? I kind of feels this season only focused on something minor, like there's a lot more to come, I don't know. Hopefully there will be more seasons.

I also caught up on Estetica, not much to write about it, really, except it's extremely bad in every aspect, definitely something that ranks next to Kanazuki no Miko as one of the worst shows I've seen.
I'm not paying that much attention to it while watching, I do other stuff so I don't feel like I'm wasting time.

Now I need to catch up to Moyashimon Returns (which should be a bit of a problem since I stopped at the second episode) and Natsuyuki Rendezvous so I can watch the finale to both shows tomorrow.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was just being fecetious.

Akari is my favourite character.

If I were to use a more accurate comparison, Yui would be at the head of that line.

ibmtKb1DcyRRBs.gif

cajunator

Banned
No. I'm sure that I know the difference between boring and familiar.

I have no problems with you liking Asuna, I just want to know what you like about the character. Why you prefer her to the other characters. Everybody has preferences when it comes to characters in a story so any choice is not "wrong" but Im just curious.

OceanBlue

Can you explain to me what a "familiar" character is? I don't think I've seen those terms used to create that distinction, so I don't really know what you're talking about.

kayos90

I have no problems with you liking Asuna, I just want to know what you like about the character. Why you prefer her to the other characters. Everybody has preferences when it comes to characters in a story so any choice is not "wrong" but Im just curious.

Lizbeth didn't feel all that developed in the LN and the same goes for Silica. I feel like the author just wrote them in to expand Kirito's "harem" or for the sake of "competition." As for Asuna she has an interesting family background, her personality shows more as the series progresses. If you're talking why I like her prior to this point in the story is because she's headstrong, bold, and is steadfast in her beliefs. At the same time she has cracks and is easily exposed as a vulnerable, weak teenage girl. To me, she's portrayed as just another human being try to survive and get out the hellhole that is SAO. I also enjoy the contrasts in personality/characteristics between Asuna and Kirito.

Meh I don't care if Asuna is generic or whatever. If people want to idolize her and buy body pillows of her, they can.

Gross...

Kazzy

I can kind of understand your rationale, because it does become grating when characters are continually presented as being unique and eccentric. I think "boring" is the wrong way to describe it, though.

Jarmel

Banned
But it does have Kanno... lol. :)

And this one doesn't plagiarize!

lol

Yuugo is actually pretty good so I'm not worried. The biggest X-factor for me is Shiotani and the stuff I've seen from him is pretty neat so far.

This is going to be a hell of a ride. I want a PV with actual animation so bad right now.

kayos90

I can kind of understand your rationale, because it does become grating when characters are continually presented as being unique and eccentric. I think "boring" is the wrong way to describe it, though.

Yeah, I can go with that. Perhaps... boring wasn't the best word.

I still don't really understand...

You can have various archetypal characters with different personalities. I thought an archetype doesn't refer to a type of personality. Maybe I've misunderstood what the term means.

Think of more along the lines a theme for a character.

OceanBlue

Yeah, I can go with that. Perhaps... boring wasn't the best word.

Think of more along the lines a theme for a character.

Maybe I can't stop associating "boring" with specific character traits that people find boring, and that's why I'm confused. If, by "boring", he means characters that only exist to serve a specific function in the plot or something, I guess I understand.

jman2050

I still don't really understand...

You can have various archetypal characters with different personalities. I thought an archetype didn't refer to a type of personality. Maybe I've misunderstood what the term means.

Archetypes describe characters in a general sense while their individual quirks and characterizations is what distinguishes them (or contrasts them with their established archetype), this is true.

But in most cases, characters are identified as belonging to an archetype because they behave a certain way. That's the entire idea behind using the term in a narrative context in the first place.

I just realized many of the LoGH soundtrack is not even on YouTube. I shall upload them. Kei Ogura has a very lovely voice.

@PdotMichael: why? :p Btw, I'm still not sure wether
he is in love with his sister or not.

Jex

Sailor Moon 19

Fuck this asshole for not only trying to discredit the good and incredibly fabulous name of Tuxedo Mask, but for also using Naru like that. ;_____;

i'm so mad i could flip a an endless supply of tables

Just a warning, if Naru-abuse gets your angry you might end up running our of tables to flip.

K-ON!! 01

b1PLBl.jpg

I suppose this was an okay episode. A nice refresher on the characters and where the story is at along with the usual lightheartedness. I still really freaking hate Yui. Everything about her is annoying, her mannerisms, the way she talks, the way she walks and runs, the way she looks, it’s all kuso. Ritsu is still the best.

If it helps the show starts to focus more on Azusa. There's a few episodes even that are just Azusa and her friends for most of the episode.

And Nodoka does get more screen time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom