• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Gonna watch Hyouka then.

The mystery aspect doesn't seem to be the main focus. At least from episode 1.

Episodes 1-11 - most episodes are mystery heavy with some minor attention on character interactions and relationships

Episodes 12-21 - bigger focus on character relationship and interaction, less focus on mystery stuff

Soma

The way I think about it, Hyouka is a drama first and a mystery show second.

The mysteries are definitely a big aspect of the show but I see them as merely vehicles that allow the main characters (specifically Oreki), as well as their relationships between each other, to grow.

trejo

Hells

So what does it say about me if I liked Dead Leaves and Redline way more than this?

I was really feeling the movie up until the
volleyball finals
but shortly after that the "plot" starts spiraling out of control never to recover and nosedives into a hot mess that just keeps going and going and going...

This really has no reason at all to last as long as it does. I get the feeling that if it were at least some 40 minutes shorter I would've enjoyed it a lot more. Say what you will about Dead Leaves, but at least it has the good sense to not overstay its welcome.

BluWacky

What are good actual mystery shows, I think Hyouka's the only mystery one Ive seen or can think of currently.

I can't comment on the following being particularly good as I don't really care for anime/manga treatments of detective stories but the most popular pure detective anime are probably Detective Conan and Kindaichi Case Files.

There's also Mouryou no Hako but I really wouldn't recommend it to you as I don't think it's your kind of show, but I think it's a particularly excellent mystery series.

Kazzy

The mysteries are definitely a big aspect of the show but I see them as merely vehicles that allow the main characters (specifically Oreki), as well as their relationships between each other, to grow.

I would agree with that, but by that same token would feel bad selling the show as such. I only say this because the mysteries have a tendency to dominate episodes, and although that becomes less pronounced as the series rolls on, it will likely still have a significant bearing on whether someone will actually enjoy Hyouka overall.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Spiral anime was decent, if nonsensical.

Looks like Sentai's got their December solicitations up, including the first half of Mawaru Penguindrum for an MSRP of $60 on DVD, $70 on BD.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=111137

I wish they chose a different img for the prelim version of the boxart.
tumblr_ma983zvCfW1qbxqfpo1_250.jpg

Kazzy

well, the 20 minutes format of a standard anime is not really something for a good mystery/detective show.

Even so, the actual mysteries that do take place often span multiple episodes. There are only really a handful of standalone episodes, which are usually character based anyway.

Narag

One Piece 21

Sanji is so fucking cool. I do appreciate the slow buildup to the Grand Line too. What started as just some weird name is growing to be something neat.

Rinne no Lagrange 21
fk6YY.jpg

Fishing + Giant Robots = ?
Christmas episode in August!
I guess that's it for the Jersey club shenanigans. I can only assume Madoka's noncommittal view to her future is a clue as to what's going to happen in the end. I have ideas, but they're just that.
Well that's convenient... Next up is some mecha fighting.
I still like this show, so I guess I'm crazy.
E1Z5o.jpg

Darn, I wanted to see her dance and sing.

Agreed...I'd probably be disappointed if I was watching this purely for the mystery aspect. The character interactions especially between Oreki and Chitanda are what's kept me watching it.

Ultimadrago

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 10

Finally, there's an episode focused on an action-packed Gundam batlle. All I can say is, "About time."

The
"I wanna live and marry Aina" line
was quite an "eye-rolling" moment for me. The actions of Ginueas (to further prove his lunacy) were predictable, but well executed besides that fact that I wanted to see more of his
basking ownership of the super weapon.
It would ideally include some panting, dancing and perhaps a heel click.

Back to the battle, it was entertaining.
Norris
and Shiro's intensity on the battlefield made for some well done animation and shots. Not to mention that they both
complete their missions in the final showdown.

Shiro in the end pulls a move at the end of the episode that is displayed with such a more subtle expression. Yet, it's a blatant cliffhanger for the "hero" type of character. All of the adrenaline builds and it drops in almost an instant for a single line. The motion fits the character introduced to the audience in the first few episodes, but it wasn't executed effectively.

8MmKb.png

I'm not sure if that's possible...but makes for a cool screen.

We'll see how the next episode pans out and deals with this.

Branduil

Remember when you weren't a condescending prick?

Yeah neither do I.

Come on, we both know that post deserved that kind of response. It's not like you were attempting to engender serious discussion. There are posters here who could make that criticism legitimately, but coming from someone who claims to enjoy loli basketball, it's impossible to view it as anything besides a rather lame joke.

All I'm saying is, if you want to be taken seriously, don't make posts that preclude that possibility.

BluWacky

Come on, we both know that post deserved that kind of response. It's not like you were attempting to engender serious discussion. There are posters here who could make that criticism legitimately, but coming from someone who claims to enjoy loli basketball, it's impossible to view it as anything besides a rather lame joke.

All I'm saying is, if you want to be taken seriously, don't make posts that preclude that possibility.

Just as kayos has a Pavlovian response to any post relating to Sword Art Online (however tangentially), darkside will without fail post in response to anything relating to PingDrum with a post that basically says "it sucks". That's just how it goes.

The only reason it bothers me is because I loved PingDrum and it makes me sad that darkside hates it so much (and reminds us of it every chance he can).

Branduil

Just as kayos has a Pavlovian response to any post relating to Sword Art Online (however tangentially), darkside will without fail post in response to anything relating to PingDrum with a post that basically says "it sucks". That's just how it goes.

The only reason it bothers me is because I loved PingDrum and it makes me sad that darkside hates it so much (and reminds us of it every chance he can).

It's not like Penguin Drum is even my favorite anime or anything, or that I even think that's a good cover. It's just that darkside used to at least post his real opinions about things, instead of reducing himself to self-parody and making dishonest arguments for the sole purpose of trolling.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Come on, we both know that post deserved that kind of response. It's not like you were attempting to engender serious discussion. There are posters here who could make that criticism legitimately, but coming from someone who claims to enjoy loli basketball, it's impossible to view it as anything besides a lame joke.

Ro-Kyu-Bu makes no attempts to hide what it is. It's a fun, quirky enjoyable show that is excessive in its fanservice. The characters are interesting and the basketball scenes are actually well done given what you'd expect from the nature of the show. It is not trying to be anything more than it is, and for what it is, it does it well.

Penguindrum was garbage. The characters were somehow more shallow and pathetic than in loli ball, with a forced plot, comedy that wasn't funny, drama that was pointless, side characters and storylines that are completely pointless and never get resolved, supernatural elements which were patently offensive.

So yeah I get why they went with that picture as their cover.

And I really couldn't care less if you think I should be taken seriously or not.

Even so, the actual mysteries that do take place often span multiple episodes. There are only really a handful of standalone episodes, which are usually character based anyway.

Hyouka has 3 different arcs, so I would say it's 50/50.

well, the Hyouka arc was rather three smaller mysteries than a long arc.

Looks like Sentai's got their December solicitations up, including the first half of Mawaru Penguindrum for an MSRP of $60 on DVD, $70 on BD.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?14556-Section23-Films-December-12-Slate

The show was a great ride but I don't think PenguinDrum has a high replay value - too many plot devices and cheap twists and cliffhangers.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
And I really couldn't care less if you think I should be taken seriously or not.
I dunno. It's probably more of a problem than you think it is. I honestly don't know if you're joking with some of your impressions or not when you do stuff like thrash Hyouka and turn around to heap praise on Kokoro Connect.

cajunator

Banned
It's not simply cynicism, it's my experience with the original series. It's pretty hard not to notice that the series experiences a drop in visual quality half-way through (despite the presence of a complete filler episode) which doesn't really make me particularly optimistic about how good a new series is going to look irrespective of the sales of the show.

Of course, some shows have managed to look dramatically worse in their second season despite having a strong first season. Case in point: Gunslinger Girls.

I don't know what you're talking about. Gunslinger Girl NEVER had another season. I mean it would be nice but they would probably fuck it up. Change the art style...you know do other things unbefitting the series. Im sure glad they didn't >_>

I'm listening to some Ling Tosite Sigure stuff... and wow... I dunno. Psycho-Pass is going to have one weird OP.

So some guy on AnimeSuki had a link to LST's new single that comes out in November. There's a decent chance this is Psycho-Pass's OP and is called abnormalize.
http://anonymousdelivers.us/21072

Wow. Umm...I'm not too sold on their music either. It could fit the show though.

I can't remember if Arcade Gamer Fubuki had anything like Street Fighter in it. Given that it mostly seemed to be about Fubuki's panties it probably didn't have the level of sophistication you might be hoping for...

Arcade Gamer is everything right about anime, and a lot of whats wrong with it.

So is Hyouka actually a good show? I watched one episode and it doesn't seem terrible.

Yes. Its a pretty good show all things considered. Skip ahead to episode 3, then 4-5, forget 6 exists, and watch from 7 to the rest. The show is never done badly, but a few episodes are just incredibly mundane mysterious, add nothing to the plot and should only be seen if you think Chitanda being curious is the cutest thing ever.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?14556-Section23-Films-December-12-Slate

Oh man. Can't wait for PINGUS. So excite!

I wish they chose a different img for the prelim version of the boxart.
tumblr_ma983zvCfW1qbxqfpo1_250.jpg

I'm not sold on that cover either, but she has to be there somewhere. Maybe it would have been classier to put her profile looking down the stairs or whatever but since when is anime classy?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
http://mantan-web.jp/2012/09/13/20120912dog00m200038000c.html

Chihayafuru S2 is two-cour. Wtf? How is this possible? It was mega bomba!
Well I heard Kaiji strengths are in its viewing figures rather than it's sales which is why it got a second series. A similar case here I guess.

There's always a reason to stop talking about SAO.
As long as there are silly plot holes to dig we'll keep on digging.

Pscho-gun!
There's a proper Pscho-gun reference (well complete Cobra love letter) much later.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I dunno. It's probably more of a problem than you think it is. I honestly don't know if you're joking with some of your impressions or not when you do stuff like thrash Hyouka and turn around to heap praise on Kokoro Connect.

Really?

Kokoro Connect is very enjoyable and is the most enjoyable show for me this season. The first arc was fantastic, the characters and the relationships between them are quite interesting. I honestly am not sure if you're trying to insinuate Kokoro Connect is somehow a bad show but I would just flat out disagree with that premise.

I respect the work KyoAni does. I just happen to find Hyouka incredibly dull and painful to watch. It's well made - it just also happens to be completely uninteresting.

Branduil

What happened to your name?

Ultimadrago

Haha I remember the debates I had with friends in high school about this.

"nah man he totally went for the cockpit! dude, that's totally blood!"

Hah! Sadly, I never had such fanciful debates for much of high school.

I respect the work KyoAni does. I just happen to find Hyouka incredibly dull and painful to watch. It's well made - it just also happens to be completely uninteresting.

All that said while you keep waving a Chitanda car flag!

Jex

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 10

Back to the battle, it was entertaining.
Norris
and Shiro's intensity on the battlefield made for some well done animation and shots. Not to mention that they both
complete their missions in the final showdown.

Shiro in the end pulls a move at the end of the episode that is displayed with such a more subtle expression. Yet, it's a blatant cliffhanger for the "hero" type of character. All of the adrenaline builds and it drops in almost an instant for a single line. The motion fits the character introduced to the audience in the first few episodes, but it wasn't executed effectively.
Best. Gundam battle. Ever.

Articalys

This cover is honestly offensive.

I guess they'd agree that the actual show itself doesn't have enough merits to sell, so gotta resort to the oldest trick in the book to sell copies.
I have no issues with them displaying the best part of the show.
I'm not sold on that cover either, but she has to be there somewhere. Maybe it would have been classier to put her profile looking down the stairs or whatever but since when is anime classy?
I mean, to be fair, it's pretty much the same cover as the first Japanese Blu-ray volume, just with a different background.

That said, I wonder which cover they'll use for the second half of the collection.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Really?

Kokoro Connect is very enjoyable and is the most enjoyable show for me this season. The first arc was fantastic, the characters and the relationships between them are quite interesting. I honestly am not sure if you're trying to insinuate Kokoro Connect is somehow a bad show but I would just flat out disagree with that premise.

The way you come off is extremely bipolar yet you expect certain responses from people. If it doesn't align with what you want or thinking then you lash at them. Simple observation draws this conclusion.

If people think a certain way about you but you disagree, either the people have a problem or you actually do.

Oh come on. T_T. I'm not that bad...

Dance In My Blood was probably too long or something.
Dimb doesn't have good connotations though if someone doesn't remember his former name.

It's okay. I have alternate names for people anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom