• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangely informative. It's amazing how the in-game stuff leads to so many questions!

The only reasons I'm watching SAO are for the fictional game mechanics and the Perfectu Waifu. I actually find discussion of the mechanics quite fascinating, because while the author of SAO isn't much of a writer, it's clear he played a lot of MMOs in his day and thought out SAO's fictive mechanics pretty thoroughly and they are applied consistently all the time.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Basically, Kirito is just really fucking smart. Unfortunately, the anime has relegated this to glancing mentions and subtext, which is admirable but not really helpful when it's such an important part of the character.

Sometimes main characters aren't important. Sometimes they only exist as a means to show the interaction and development of other characters. To me, Kirito is that character. Look at all the stories so far, they're about other people. Kirito is our way to experience these stories. I mean this could change if certain developments arise, but right now, that's all he is.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The only reasons I'm watching SAO are for the fictional game mechanics and the Perfectu Waifu. I actually find discussion of the mechanics quite fascinating, because while the author of SAO isn't much of a writer, it's clear he played a lot of MMOs in his day and thought out SAO's mechanics pretty thoroughly and they are applied consistently all the time.

It's actually pretty cool considering that this was originally conceived in super early 2000s.

Sometimes main characters aren't important. Sometimes they only exist as a means to show the interaction and development of other characters. To me, Kirito is that character. Look at all the stories so far, they're about other people. Kirito is our way to experience these stories. I mean this could change if certain developments arise, but right now, that's all he is.

No. If you look at the SS episodes, they're clearly meant to develop and focus on Kirito. Not the other way around.

Narag

The only reasons I'm watching SAO are for the fictional game mechanics and the Perfectu Waifu. I actually find discussion of the mechanics quite fascinating, because while the author of SAO isn't much of a writer, it's clear he played a lot of MMOs in his day and thought out SAO's fictive mechanics pretty thoroughly and they are applied consistently all the time.

I'm left wondering if he rewrote much of it after the fact. I wish he had an MMO pedigree we could dissect given this was written in what, 2002?

kayos90

I'm left wondering if he rewrote much of it after the fact. I wish he had an MMO pedigree we could dissect given this was written in what, 2002?

The author is releasing the entire SAO arc again this year. It's rewritten with all the contradictions/inconsistencies out. So... yeah.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So what's the deal with Queen's Blade? Is it basically Qwaser meets D&D?

This is true in some cases, but I don't think it's the case here. The episodes thus far have been glimpses into important events in Kirito's SAO life.

These episodes have also allowed us to see what life is like in SAO and how the game works, but it's mostly been about Kirito.

Narag

This is true in some cases, but I don't think it's the case here. The episodes thus far have been glimpses into important events in Kirito's SAO life.

These episodes have also allowed us to see what life is like in SAO and how the game works, but it's mostly been about Kirito.

That's one reason I'm glad they did the side stories when they did. I like to think they can approach the main plot or whatever now without getting tied down by explanation or introduction.

Dresden

Sounds like a cash grab as I thought the current release was selling well as is.

That's pretty much what it is.

It will only make it worse though, since one of the few commendable things about SAO is that the first volume is short and ends conclusively.

kayos90

Sounds like a cash grab as I thought the current release was selling well as is.

Yes. However, it also helps people to recognize what is canon and what isn't and etc. People care so I think it's nice to know that the author cares too.

That's one reason I'm glad they did the side stories when they did. I like to think they can approach the main plot or whatever now without getting tied down by explanation or introduction.
Agreed. We know how the game works, who and what Kirito's fighting for, and why he's such a BAMF, more or less.

Narag

Yes. However, it also helps people to recognize what is canon and what isn't and etc. People care so I think it's nice to know that the author cares too.

I can only imagine he cares while the sales are there. What sort of canonical issues have come up anyhow? I mean, if it's in the LNs, why wouldn't that be canon?

kayos90

SAO's mechanics, especially the PvP flagging system, are very much similar to an early 2000's FFA PvP MMO like Ultima Online, EverQuest, or Asheron's Call, so that makes sense.

Oh, I'm not saying that it didn't exist. I think the idea of borrowing those various ideas and creating game design elements into a cohesive game world package is pretty interesting.

I can only imagine he cares while the sales are there. What sort of canonical issues have come up anyhow? I mean, if it's in the LNs, why wouldn't that be canon?

Asuna didn't party with Kirito until vol 1? He didn't meet her first until a much later later floor. Obviously the Aria SS contradicts that. There are a lot of inconsistencies and contradcitions. You'd be surprised.

kayos90

Queen's Blade is about scantily clad women fighting each other in a tournament to see who should be the reigning queen.

I saw the first episode of Queen's Blade and I lost my entire right half of my brain. It was that bad. Thankfully I restored it.

Wasn't raggin' on you, broski. I'm on Team Kawahara.

I know you weren't. I'm just wishing the author was a bit more.... consistent.

Branduil

Kinda irks me that Kirito has almost no flaws and imba in having all kinds of rare items, unique skills and intimate knowledge of the game. This guy is beyond batman.

Because he's the hero that Sword Art Online deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero...he's a silent guardian, a harem collector... the Gary Stu.

kayos90

That's pretty bad.

Yes. I know. Which is why people flipped shit over what's canonical and what's not when the Anime released.

EDIT: Choose your character/team/girl/whatever

574752_412545042137527_981434412_n.jpg

kayos90

That shouldn't have any bearing on the LNs though if it's adaptation as opposed to some multiple media project.

People think it does. There's a lot of crap to go through. There are the novels. There are the individually released SS like Aria. Then there are Material Editions. it's just freaking bonkers. That's why people care so much about what' canon in this dumb series.

Judging by your comments regarding Evangelion in the last thread, I don't think so.

Was that really necessary?

Narag

People think it does. There's a lot of crap to go through. There are the novels. There are the individually released SS like Aria. Then there are Material Editions. it's just freaking bonkers. That's why people care so much about what' canon in this dumb series.

I hope we get an anime original ending to fuck with them then.

kayos90

LOL. As much as I want the GGO arc, lol, I'd love to see that happen. Sort of like me wanting to see Versus XIII cancelled just to see the shitstorm that would ensue.

Narag

LOL. As much as I want the GGO arc, lol, I'd love to see that happen. Sort of like me wanting to see Versus XIII cancelled just to see the shitstorm that would ensue.

Heat death of the universe will occur before we find out one way or the other.

Dresden

Hyouka - 19

Another enjoyable episode. The growing dynamic between Chitanda and Oreki is enough at this point to be engaging, and I hope that the last few episodes--being the stand-alone stories they are--further this relationship. I know this might be me going too far, and it might not adhere to the kind of work-safe projects that Kyoani produces, but I hope they hold hands at the end.

And as much as I like Mayaka, the episodes feel better when she and Satoshi aren't hanging out with Chintando and Oreki. Something about the way they're reduced to rote responses hewing close to their predetermined characteristics in the presence of others, when, by themselves, they really do feel like the likable moeblobs they are.

7sOlEl.jpg

Btw, all that playful impatience is going to turn into scorn and hate when they get married. The custody battle is going to be fierce as Eru applies all that she absorbed from being in Oreki's presence so much.

kayos90

Hyouka - 19

Another enjoyable episode. The growing dynamic between Chitanda and Oreki is enough at this point to be engaging, and I hope that the last few episodes--being the stand-alone stories they are--further this relationship. I know this might be me going too far, and it might not adhere to the kind of work-safe projects that Kyoani produces, but I hope they hold hands at the end.

And as much as I like Mayaka, the episodes feel better when she and Satoshi aren't hanging out with Chintando and Oreki. Something about the way they're reduced to rote responses hewing close to their predetermined characteristics. I

LOL. I would ROFL if we get a MayakxSatoshi episode without Oreki and Chitanda. Then again... Chitanda would be like.... "I wonder where they are and what they're doing. Oreki-san, aren't you curious?! KININARIMASU!"

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
No. If you look at the SS episodes, they're clearly meant to develop and focus on Kirito. Not the other way around.

Points well made guys... I suppose if that's the case then I just don't buy his development. Or rather I can't seem to see it. Still, I really enjoy the show.

I actually like extollere's artwork.

This... is blowing my mind right now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hyouka - 19

And as much as I like Mayaka, the episodes feel better when she and Satoshi aren't hanging out with Chintando and Oreki. Something about the way they're reduced to rote responses hewing close to their predetermined characteristics. I

It sounds to me like you didn't even watch KyoAni's finest masterpiece ever made in Clannad After Story.

And even Team Mayaka realizes that Mayaka sucks. This episode made it blatantly obvious that Chitanda has been hiding her moe power levels the whole time, she didn't want to make Mayaka cry too much and feel even more useless that she already is.

kayos90

Points well made guys... I suppose if that's the case then I just don't buy his development. Or rather I can't seem to see it. Still, I really enjoy the show.

This... is blowing my mind right now.

You know. After reflecting on it. I wouldn't really call them major developments either. Honestly, Kirito's interactions in those SS develops contrast. We see how Kirito reacts and mirrors those that he encounters and as a result, these SS chars end up being sort of like foils. Idk... maybe i'm reading too much into it.

Soma

Hyouka - 19
and it might not adhere to the kind of work-safe projects that Kyoani produces, but I hope they hold hands at the end.

Whoa whoa whoa

hey now.

Let's not get into such lewd practices.

I'm sure there are doujins for that kind of vulgar thing.

Kirito, about to to deliver the killing blow to the final boss, suddenly freezes. His weapon clatters to the floor.
Asuna: I never asked you to save me.
Slowly, painfully, she pulls her sword out of Kirito's back. As he struggles to voice his disbelief, Kirito is impaled on a flurry of thrusts.
Asuna: gg
Asuna: kthx
Asuna: no re

/credits

Narag

Kirito, about to to deliver the killing blow to the final boss, suddenly freezes. His weapon clatters to the floor.
Slowly, painfully, she pulls her sword out of Kirito's back. As he struggles to voice his disbelief, Kirito is impaled on a flurry of thrusts.

/credits

Throw in a pov shot of him staring up at her from the ground and watching her player indicator slowly shit from green to red as he dies and I think we have something.

Dresden

/credits

What if Kirito was Asuna who was Kayaba who was Kirito's Mr. Hyde?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom