• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagami

Beats me, I don't watch the show and I have very little context here. I just find the entire thing weird and dumb. Kagami actually watches the show and follows stuff though, so he's in a better position to speculate about that.
I generally don't follow this kind of stuff too much, but read up a little on it now.

A couple days ago Kikuchi from the music group eufonius (Kokoro Connect OP singers) made a flippant remark toward Halko Momoi that pissed people off.

Then unrelated to that, there was an odd occurrence in which the head of Silverlink, Kaneko Hayato, tweeted that Ichiki Mitsuhiro (the pranked VA) would be in Kokoro Connect after all, starting with episode 14, and that that had been planned from the beginning...but the tweet was promptly deleted for some reason. Maybe they'd wanted to keep it a secret.

That seemed to have started people who weren't aware of the original pre-air event searching to find out what this deal with Ichiki was, and it turned out to be ammo to pile on the Kokoro Connect hatetrain that was just starting to roll with eufonius.

Defuser

I thought your post was about Kirito in the second half of the episode, not the forever alone guildy.

The whole episode was about Asuna earning Kirito's respect and him finally, finally putting his trust in someone as an equal. The show shot itself in the dick by having Kirito go full whiteknight for Asuna against the bodyguard.
Well Asuna isn't exactly doing a good job of putting down her bodyguard although she is higher authority and before intervening the at the last minute

Andrew J.

What is this HOME you speak of?

435088716_9MqAz-L-2.jpg

Jex

Apparently there be a shitstorm brewing around Kokoro Connect.

-Apparently the producers gave an VA audition for a new character in Kokoro Connect to a low-level VA.
-At an event they brought the guy out implying that he got the part and e would be on the show.
-What they actually did at the event was show a video of his audition with some changes mocking him and reveal that the part was completely bogus in the first place and say he'll work for them as a janitor instead.
-Huge uproar from otaku as they flood the amazon page for Kokoro Connect with 1 star reviews.

Video of event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh2_joRXGXc

Fucking shameful display from Silver Link. Who thought this would be funny or a good PR move?

That seems more weird than anything else. How bizarre.

I don't recall you ever doing a formal ranking of Utena's waifus, but I'm pretty sure I would hate it regardless.

Besides, she only has one waifu, so it'd be a pretty pointless exercise.
Nanami was at the top, fyi. Am I watching the Utenas right?
Why not make one?
It would be a failure that would haunt me for years. I wouldn't be able to read the letters "OT" without entering a PTSD-like state of dissociation.

"You don't miss any of the shots that you don't take."
-Ben Franklin

Well Asuna isn't exactly doing a good job of putting down her bodyguard although she is higher authority and before intervening the at the last minute
Which was bad writing, imo. If the scene had to take place at all, Asuna should have stepped up and shoved her sword up foreveralone's ass.

Which was bad writing, imo. If the scene had to take place at all, Asuna should have stepped up and shoved her sword up foreveralone's ass.

That wouldn't be possible unless she challenged her own guild member to a duel. Kirito had to do it anyways, because the whole point was that he was proving to Creepy Bodyguard Guy that he could do a better job guarding the Perfectu Waifu than that loser could.

Narag

That wouldn't be possible unless she challenged her own guild member to a duel. Kirito had to do it anyways, because the whole point was that he was proving to Creepy Bodyguard Guy that he could do a better job guarding the Perfectu Waifu than that loser could.

I couldn't figure out how she was able to intervene though. I assumed a duel in a safe zone would only enable combat between the two.

Says the person who thinks Angel Beats! looks fine.

Is this just a jab at cajun or extollere too?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I liked the duel but the entire situation was stupid and very forced. Asuna ordered Kuradeel to back off by ordering him, right? Why the hell didn't she do that in the first place? Did she need a crowd to show his insolent behavior? Asuna is like a frightened girl in the beginning of that situation, hiding behind Kirito. Yet, at the end she acts like a total boss. It's extremely inconsistent and moronic imo.

That's what I wanted! She's his superior. She should be laying down the law, not some unrelated hobo merc.

I couldn't figure out how she was able to intervene though. I assumed a duel in a safe zone would only enable combat between the two.
I was wondering that, too, but Kawahara seems pretty slavish about his game mechanics so I figure there's a legitimate reason for it
I liked the duel but the entire situation was stupid and very forced. Asuna ordered Kuradeel to back off by ordering him, right? Why the hell didn't she do that in the first place? Did she need a crowd to show his insolent behavior? Asuna is like a frightened girl in the beginning of that situation, hiding behind Kirito. Yet, at the end she acts like a total boss. It's extremely inconsistent and moronic imo.
Indeed. Except for the part about liking the duel. I thought that was lame as well.

kayos90

I was wondering that, too, but Kawahara seems pretty slavish about his game mechanics so I figure there's a legitimate reason for it

Oh. that's not a contradiction. The duel was already decided by that point. If you checked it was a one-hit duel. Since it had gone off the duel had ended at that point. Also, you can do whatever you want in towns. It's just that you can't kill anyone so idk why Kuradeel even bothered trying to attack a second time. Also, this explains why Asuna could intervene.

Defuser

Apparently there be a shitstorm brewing around Kokoro Connect.

-Apparently the producers gave an VA audition for a new character in Kokoro Connect to a low-level VA.
-At an event they brought the guy out implying that he got the part and e would be on the show.
-What they actually did at the event was show a video of his audition with some changes mocking him and reveal that the part was completely bogus in the first place and say he'll work for them as a janitor instead.
-Huge uproar from otaku as they flood the amazon page for Kokoro Connect with 1 star reviews.

Video of event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh2_joRXGXc

Fucking shameful display from Silver Link. Who thought this would be funny or a good PR move?
I always wonder how the hell those producers ever think its a good idea to pull this kind of prank, that like crossing the line.

Oh. that's not a contradiction. The duel was already decided by that point. If you checked it was a one-hit duel. Since it had gone off the duel had ended at that point. Also, you can do whatever you want in towns. It's just that you can't kill anyone so idk why Kuradeel even bothered trying to attack a second time. Also, this explains why Asuna could intervene.
So you can just beat the shit out of anyone you want? They just won't drop below 1 health?

Hey, stop spoiling volume 14.
Is that what that's from? I just skipped to Kawahara's incredibly erotic fapfic of Kirito's IRL encounter with Kayaba.

kayos90

So you can just beat the shit out of anyone you want? They just won't drop below 1 health?

Is that what that's from? I just skipped to Kawahara's incredibly erotic fapfic of Kirito's IRL encounter with Kayaba.

They won't lose any health. Period. Technically you learn this in the Murder in the Area SS but they skimmed over a lot of stuff. This was one of them. You absolutely cannot lose health unless you're in a duel.

Narag

They won't lose any health. Period. Technically you learn this in the Murder in the Area SS but they skimmed over a lot of stuff. This was one of them. You absolutely cannot lose health unless you're in a duel.

What was up with the delay in declaring Kirito winner?
Lag? :lol

A few things about anime vs. LN/manga:

(1) The duel was set to First Strike mode but Kirito attacked Creepy Bodyguard Guy's weapon, not him. That didn't count as a strike, so the duel didn't end. That's why CBG was able to summon another weapon out of his inventory and attempt to attack again. It's also why the duel didn't end until CBG teleported out of the area, which automatically ended the duel. In unrelated news, SAO has a long-ass duel start countdown timer. 60 seconds, really?

(2) Asuna hiding behind Kirito was added to the anime, it's not in the LN/manga. Asuna intervening to disarm CBG was added to the anime too. It may or may not be inconsistent with the rules of the game, since disarming someone by knocking their weapon away isn't explicitly stated to be possible or not. However, since this game has collision, technically Asuna could have stood between Kirito and CBG and allowed herself to be attacked by both to no effect since she wasn't in a duel with either of them. She could physically stand there and block them even if she couldn't disarm one of them.

Jex

[Joshiraku] 2 - 5

This show isn't nearly as boring as I originally thought it would be. However the mix of Japanese cultural references and lengthy sketches based around puns makes this work something that I am not particularly interesting in watching any more of. Yes, there's also sketches based on physical humour as well but I don't feel the ratio is tipped in a way that I enjoy.

I will admit that it looks surprisingly good for one of these kinds of comedies.

kayos90

(1) The duel was set to First Strike mode but Kirito attacked Creepy Bodyguard Guy's weapon, not him. That didn't count as a strike, so the duel didn't end. That's why CBG was able to summon another weapon out of his inventory and attempt to attack again. It's also why the duel didn't end until CBG teleported out of the area, which automatically ended the duel. In unrelated news, SAO has a long-ass duel start countdown timer. 60 seconds, really?

(2) Asuna hiding behind Kirito was added to the anime, it's not in the LN/manga. Asuna intervening to disarm CBG was added to the anime too. It may or may not be inconsistent with the rules of the game, since disarming someone by knocking their weapon away isn't explicitly stated to be possible or not. However, since this game has collision, technically Asuna could have stood between Kirito and CBG and allowed herself to be attacked by both to no effect since she wasn't in a duel with either of them. She could physically stand there and block them even if she couldn't disarm one of them.

Alright. I'm a bit confused though. Are you saying this just for the sake of the differences between the two or to prove me wrong. I"m lost lol.

tumblr_m1r9u3gxNv1rsjyv2o1_500_thumb.jpg

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnever have I been so interested in fictional game mechanics!

Defuser

Kinda irks me that Kirito has almost no flaws and imba in having all kinds of rare items, unique skills and intimate knowledge of the game. This guy is beyond batman.

Narag

Strangely informative. It's amazing how the in-game stuff leads to so many questions!

Well done.

Is there a wrong way?
It seems like wrong is right.
It still seems weird that Asuna could just knock his sword away like that. What if she grabbed it and ran away with it instead? I know that PK guilds kill people and loot their corpses or whatever, but is there theft in the towns?

kayos90

Kinda irks me that Kirito has almost no flaws and imba in having all kinds of rare items, unique skills and intimate knowledge of the game. This guy is beyond batman.

I'm telling you the dude's a prodigy. *sigh*

It seems like wrong is right.

It still seems weird that Asuna could just knock his sword away like that. What if she grabbed it and ran away with it instead? I know that PK guilds kill people and loot their corpses or whatever, but is there theft in the towns?

Oh. Shit. Okay. So if you don't want to know more about the PK Guild don't read the following.

The PK Guild, Laughing Coffin, is pretty much gone by this point in time. They were anihilated by many of the other guilds because they were causing too much trouble. That small segment in the last episode never happened in the LN so... yeah.

Basically, Kirito is just really fucking smart. Unfortunately, the anime has relegated this to glancing mentions and subtext, which is admirable but not really helpful when it's such an important part of the character.

edit: Kayos, I'm too scurred to highlight that. I've already spoiled a bunch of stuff for myself before I started caring about SAO. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom