• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

In a recent interview with Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki, Mamoru Oshii hinted that a live-action Patlabor film is in the works, among other things:

That reminds me of something I read in the Patlabor archive thing tonight (best purchase evar)--how, after Miyazaki's Cagliostro, Oshii had been set to direct the next Lupin movie, but his concept for it--of having a Lupin movie without Lupin, with his absence taking over, or 'stealing,' as it were, the movie--was deemed too complicated and as he had no other ideas to offer, he was forced to resign. Where he then went on to direct the first Patlabor movie, apparently.

Branduil

why would anyone find inception better than paprika?

Paprika has a weak and confused narrative and it's preoccupied with a disgusting fat guy. Not that I have anything against fat people, but the movie goes out of its way to make him act as grossly as possible for some reason.

Nafe

I actually haven't seen Paprika yet.

In Hyouka's case, I don't feel it's KyoAni not trusting the audience so much as them wanting to show off. In direction, animation, art - really all aspects of the production I get the feeling sometimes that they're saying, "We know what we're doing and we're going to make sure you know that we know." Which I can't really blame them for.

That's true. In case it came across that way I didn't mean it to apply in regards to Hyouka. I too can't really blame them, I just thought the show looked so great, so many beautiful shots. Branduil already did it in his impressions post of Episode 20 but I'll just repeat it here if I may:

ibrHEyY2eC1VAv.jpg

Chitanda=KyoAni

why would anyone find inception better than paprika?

Because it is and doesn't rely on typical nonsensical visuals and a plot that's thoroughly confusing. Also...lucid dreams are seldom super weird. People always keep using the excuse Paprika takes advantage of being in a dream by having lots of crazy visuals but really...it's not like that for most people

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lag-Range!! 05

It's not just that the show doesn't know whether it was to be about cute girls doing cute things or a space opera about warring nations, but that it does none of these things well. The fanservice is there, but it's so vapid and the characters so uninteresting that it feels tacked on. Visual titillation can only carry a show so far before the formula gets stale. The first season did the same thing, but it excusable back then because it introduced elements to stir the trio's dynamics. Now that they are best girl friends forever it seems like the writers have given up on fleshing out their characters and exist solely as cardboard cutouts of otaku tropes meant for merchandise advertisement. And then the sci-fi elements are more dressing and technobabble than an actual setting. Lagrange is so tightly structured around the main trio that the politics aspect just doesn't have enough space to effectively dish out all the necessary ingredients for it to blend nicely. For this to work out you should have ideally shown more about the war itself, but, like I said, the focus was never that.

Yurikano and her stupid arc have ruined Flower Declaration of my Heart forever. This should have been a one cour thing.

Jex

I personally don't like it sometimes when shows explain things too much as it feels like they don't trust the audience or are talking down to them or perhaps aren't even confident in their own writing skills.

To switch gears a little bit I watched the film Inception and I feel like it over explains things so I find it quite surprising when many people still ask questions such as "Why does the van fall so slowly?". I think to myself "Really? They explain that about five times in five different ways in the movie. My question would be how can you not understand what's going on there?"
I think it's important to remember that works for a 'general audience' can, apparently, never have enough exposition in them to inform every audience member. The amount of people who are regularly confused by fairly well-explained stories seems to suggest that people are really bad at paying attention to what they're watching, probably because their browsing the internet on their phone.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think it's important to remember that works for a 'general audience' can, apparently, never have enough exposition in them to inform every audience member. The amount of people who are regularly confused by fairly well-explained stories seems to suggest that people are really bad at paying attention to what they're watching, probably because their browsing the internet on their phone.
*coughs*

Anyway, piecing stuff together is hard. Even people who can do it often don't want to.

Jex

*coughs*

Anyway, piecing stuff together is hard. Even people who can do it often don't want to.

Sure, some films definitely require you to put together the pieces and assemble the story for yourself, an extreme example would be something like Primer which is extremely complicated and confusing.

However, I was thinking about movies like Inception which have scripts that are really designed to let the audience know about all the important details of how all the mechanics in the movie works. Even in cases where everything is apparently laid out clearly some people, apparently, cannot follow what's happening. Which I suppose is just inevitable.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sure, some films definitely require you to put together the pieces and assemble the story for yourself, an extreme example would be something like Primer which is extremely complicated and confusing.

However, I was thinking about movies like Inception which have scripts that are really designed to let the audience know about all the important details of how all the mechanics in the movie works. Even in cases where everything is apparently laid out clearly some people, apparently, cannot follow what's happening. Which I suppose is just inevitable.
Inception actually encourages people to completely overthink it to the point of absurdity. Its not surprising people still end up confused. And if anything, the constant barrage of exposition only serves to numb the viewer.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Paprika has a weak and confused narrative and it's preoccupied with a disgusting fat guy. Not that I have anything against fat people, but the movie goes out of its way to make him act as grossly as possible for some reason.
All those things don't matter. Only visuals do, and Paprika is far more interesting than Inception in that aspect.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya Omega 18

Not as pathetic as previous episodes, probably because it wasn't so obviously filler and they had a bigger budget with which to work here. It's still very forgettable despite its half-assed attempts at character drama.

Umakoshi is wasted on material like this.
Isn't this thread a parody?
So what you are saying is that we shouldn't take anyone who posts here seriously.

Why do we always compare Kon's and Nolan's worst films against each other? Why not their best?
Millenium Actress vs
The Prestige
FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom