• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

So it's not Wit Studio after all? Or could they still be classified as part of IG?

Yeah, there are several possible reasons for this. All signs still point to the fact that Wit Studio is doing work on this, so they'll probably get a production assistance credit or something. The show definitely started at Production IG though, since it's been in development for over a year, and Wit Studio was established in... June. Lol.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah, there are several possible reasons for this. All signs still point to the fact that Wit Studio is doing work on this, so they'll probably get a production assistance credit or something. The show definitely started at Production IG though, since it's been in development for over a year, and Wit Studio was established in... June. Lol.

WHy do I feel like this is going to be the next GC....

The Garden of Sinners Part 3 - Remaining Sense of Pain

This was almost shockingly straightforward. Tight plotting, good twists (
I really liked the appendicitis element
), snappy pacing, an exciting climax: it all makes for a solid thriller. No individual scene stood out as much as some of the scenes from the first film, but since the overall narrative was much more comprehensible, it was a more pleasurable experience. I particularly enjoyed how the villain was set up and developed. Her surface motivations were presented at the very beginning and gradually more pieces were revealed until you had a fairly complete picture of her by the end. She made a good foil for Shiki. Ironically, Shiki and Kokuto had more chemistry here, as investigation partners, than in the film focused on their relationship.

If there's a criticism I could give, it would be that the film's depiction of rape felt a bit too casual, the opening scene in particular, though that could have been an attempt to depict Fujino's lack of pain sensitivity.

The Garden of Sinners Part 4 - The Hollow Shrine

This is pretty much what I had been expecting from the series: Nasuverse nonsense. But its real problem isn't throwing terminology like "Mystic Eyes of Death Perception" around; rather, it is that Shiki is not compelling as a character to sustain a story exclusively about her development. If you're invested in the larger universe and ideas I could see this interesting you, but I'd rather the series focused exclusively on post-hospital Shiki investigating various supernatural cases, when her personality is suitable as an axis for the stories being told, and skipped the dull story of how she got to be that way.

But it was worth watching solely to see Kokuto burst out into an Engrish rendition of "Singin' in the Rain" out of nowhere. It was unintentionally hilarious.

On a positive note, you can definitely see an improvement in ufotable's digital art. Most obviously, the sky doesn't have that unattractive, simplistic gradient shading anymore. You didn't see a shot like this in the previous three films:

The look of the environments is more cohesive in general. In fact, the larger world of the hospital is so well realized that I wish the film had spent more time there instead of staying locked away in Shiki's private world for the most part.

The best part of the film was the post-credits scene, which reveals that
someone's been pulling the strings! And he's voiced by Jouji Nakata!
The next film should be fun.

Great reading your impressions. At least according to Aniplex's site this is getting a DVD rerelease so unless it's stupidly expensive I'll give this a go.

WHy do I feel like this is going to be the next GC....

While there is certainly the possibility that this will turn out poorly, the premise of Psychopass has the potential for good whereas the premise of Guilty Crown only had potential for stupidity. Moreover, I trust Naoyoshi Shiotani and Gen Urobuchi more than Tetsuro Araki and Hiroyuki Yoshino.

duckroll

While there is certainly the possibility that this will turn out poorly, the premise of Psychopass has the potential for good whereas the premise of Guilty Crown only had potential for stupidity. Moreover, I trust Naoyoshi Shiotani and Gen Urobuchi more than Tetsuro Araki and Hiroyuki Yoshino.

Hopefully Shiotani and Urobuchi are actually working on this, and they were not secretly just helping Araki and Yoshino to promote their new show! :D

cajunator

Banned

I have enjoyed everything Gen has been involved with lately so thats a good sign.

duckroll

I hope the animation character designs are better than the original designs for Psycho-Pass. Aside from the main character, the other characters have pretty... weird faces... ^^;

duckroll

I just noticed something... incredibly sexist about the Psycho-Pass key visual. Holy crap. I'm kinda... offended even. Notice how all the guys are holding their large oversized guns with just one hand, while both female characters need BOTH HANDS to hold them. Wtf? :(

cajunator

Banned
I just noticed something... incredibly sexist about the Psycho-Pass key visual. Holy crap. I'm kinda... offended even. Notice how all the guys are holding their large oversized guns with just one hand, while both female characters need BOTH HANDS to hold them. Wtf? :(

I think you are looking way too much into that picture, Duckroll.

well, it shows that the female characters are smater than the guys.

The woman in the back is only using one hand.

fertygo

I hope the animation character designs are better than the original designs for Psycho-Pass. Aside from the main character, the other characters have pretty... weird faces... ^^;

I wonder if there is possibility Hayama Kenji is the anime chara designer.

Oh you're right. The one I'm talking about looks to be holding either a bow or a sword, and you can tell she's only using 1 hand from the position of her visible arm.

If you're talking about the upper right female character with the white coat, I think you're mistaken. She appears to have her hands in her pockets. The line to the right of her is part of the larger figure of a character behind her that can be partially made out.

If you're talking about the upper right female character with the white coat, I think you're mistaken. She appears to have her hands in her pockets. The line to the right of her is part of the larger figure of a character behind her that can be partially made out.

Maybe? I can't really make another character out there, but I guess the way the line curves up makes it possible.

duckroll

Don't forget that the teaser footage has tons of graphical overlays and filters running on top, so they add to the visual confusion.

Holding a gun with two hands is sexier.

Dresden

Typical Amano. She probably felt bad about having to draw girls at all.

BluWacky

So are we ever going to see some actual animation for this animated series?

There's still a good four weeks or so to WAIT FOR. Clearly the teasing is working to get us interested, and they obviously want to give absolutely nothing away until the last minute.

Has anyone been following the ARG type promotion they've been running? The Noitamina producer tweeted something about it earlier today but I didn't really look at it properly.

Binbougami ga 09

G4CTD.jpg

She finally gets her time to shine.

Not a bad episode, just having Sakura and Momiji compete against each other in tennis and cooking was pretty enjoyable to watch and not heavy handed with the emotions and supposed feels.

I also wouldn't have imagined there's a worst cook than Otae-san.

There's still a good four weeks or so to WAIT FOR. Clearly the teasing is working to get us interested, and they obviously want to give absolutely nothing away until the last minute.

Has anyone been following the ARG type promotion they've been running? The Noitamina producer tweeted something about it earlier today but I didn't really look at it properly.

Arent we still missing animation for lots of other fall anime, dont recall seeing anything for the Gyrozetter anime.

duckroll

I think next week could be the end of the teasing. Only 2 more weeks of noitaminA left. They need the staff info out by next week anyway, since all the anime mags are coming out on the 10th.

cajunator

Banned
My little cute Imouto show can't be this stupid 01

This show is very by-the-numbers and the premise is a lot like Onegai Twins. However the girls are cute, if not forceful. This is a rather typical haremshit as these things go.
Its dumb, but fun.

My little cute Imouto show can't be this stupid 01

This show is very by-the-numbers and the premise is a lot like Onegai Twins. However the girls are cute, if not forceful. This is a rather typical haremshit as these things go.
Its dumb, but fun.

Yeah, there really isn't much else to it. It's cute and can be funny when it wants to. I think it gets better later on, especially for your case.

Articalys

Binbogami ga 9

Oh man, the tennis match was a goldmine of references. I'm glad Shueisha is letting them get away with it all. And in the second half, loved how
they kept Kuroyuri's suffering entirely offscreen with Ichiko and Momiji just blankly looking on.

By the way, what sort of dialect was Kuroyuri speaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom