• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Fairy Tail movie 3 minute promo. Once the Celtic music kicks in around the 1:50 mark, shit gets real. This is going to be epic. And it's still nice to see Natsu's flames not look like ass.

Seems odd to release it after the movie, I guess.

Regardless, I hope Gray gots lots of screentime in addition to Natsu, really liked it
tumblr_m9ktieqTVo1qfe17zo1_500.gif

duckroll

Some general info about Psycho-Pass:

The show takes place in a future where technology has advanced enough such that a person's psychology and personality can be assessed and quantified in an instant. This technology has allowed the governing body to record and study such data to determine what constitutes a "good lifestyle" as determined by values. The measurement used to calculate the value of a person's mental self is known as "Psycho-Pass".

The tagline on the official site is "Justice will be dictated by the muzzle of this gun." But what's interesting is that the "gun muzzle" Kanji characters have an alternate reading above them in Katakana which says "system". So we can be pretty sure that those high tech guns the characters are using aren't the sort that are meant to shoot to kill. Instead they're probably part of an oppressive dystopian government technological system controlling society's standards.

Both lead characters revealed so far work for the Public Safety Bureau, but they're not partners working in the same department. Shinya is an enforcer in the criminal investigation department. The enforcers are the detectives who do the field work. Akane on the other hand is a rookie monitoring officer in the bureau. The monitoring officers are assigned to watch over enforcers.

It's a pretty typical set up for this sort of show, but it's so rare in anime these days. It seems likely that Shinya is going to "betray" the government organization at some point, and Akane will have to decide if she wants to call him in as a rogue or to trust in him because they have a bond. That's just an educated guess, but even if the relationship is predictable, I like these kind of stories. :)

cajunator

Banned

The show takes place in a future where technology has advanced enough such that a person's psychology and personality can be assessed and quantified in an instant. This technology has allowed the governing body to record and study such data to determine what constitutes a "good lifestyle" as determined by values. The measurement used to calculate the value of a person's mental self is known as "Psycho-Pass".

The tagline on the official site is "Justice will be dictated by the muzzle of this gun." But what's interesting is that the "gun muzzle" Kanji characters have an alternate reading above them in Katakana which says "system". So we can be pretty sure that those high tech guns the characters are using aren't the sort that are meant to shoot to kill. Instead they're probably part of an oppressive dystopian government technological system controlling society's standards.

Both lead characters revealed so far work for the Public Safety Bureau, but they're not partners working in the same department. Shinya is an enforcer in the criminal investigation department. The enforcers are the detectives who do the field work. Akane on the other hand is a rookie monitoring officer in the bureau. The monitoring officers are assigned to watch over enforcers.

It's a pretty typical set up for this sort of show, but it's so rare in anime these days. It seems likely that Shinya is going to "betray" the government organization at some point, and Akane will have to decide if she wants to call him in as a rogue or to trust in him because they have a bond. That's just an educated guess, but even if the relationship is predictable, I like these kind of stories. :)

That premise sounds very similar to certain well known sci-fi movies, but its still a pretty fun idea. What matters though is the execution of it.

Seems like it may be good, even if I guess that means are a bit on the olderish side of things.

Sounds like something Funimation would license though.

Articalys

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 9

Wow, that was quite the episode.
So now that the supernatural element has been completely unveiled to Rokka, where will they go from here, I wonder. And another damn cliffhanger for Hazuki in fantasy land.

BluWacky

Witch Hunter Robin, Darker than BLACK (S1), Un-Go.... anything else?

I'd say Himitsu The Revelation (police force investigating murder through dead people's brains) counts, but it's not totally dystopian - just a near-future Japan where such things are possible. It's the show I think of every time I read about Psycho Pass.

duckroll

I'd say Himitsu The Revelation (police force investigating murder through dead people's brains) counts, but it's not totally dystopian - just a near-future Japan where such things are possible. It's the show I think of every time I read about Psycho Pass.

I watched that show. I remember it being pretty bad. :(

Jarmel

Banned
Ergo Proxy?

Got me thinking about ABe, which in turn led to thinking about Despera :/

Ugh. Please don't remind me of the show. Utter utter disappointment.

I'm not very fond of them either.
Not just because they don't look cute at all, but because they simply look awful.

I can understand not liking them(not really) but there is no way it's awful. Silver Link with Prism Ilya is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom