• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Robot Carnival

As far as compilations go, this felt relatively weak. Certainly it's not on the level of Memories or Genius Party. The theme of robots and human-robot interaction in particular has historically been fertile grounds for thoughtful sci-fi, but for the most part these shorts didn't go in that direction. What they do provide is lavish mechanical animation, which is always pleasant to see, and lots of destruction, which Otomo certainly is fond of.

Well, it wasn't the most consistent compilation. You didn't care for the Takashi Nakamura piece influenced by Night on Bald Mountain? I thought it was pretty neat to see a robotic and technological take on the apocalyptic imagery. Robots run amuck is a very common theme, but I hadn't seen it done quite like that before.

I still think the weakest piece was the 19th century mecha duel, which somehow managed to be racist in both the Japanese and English dubs, lol.

wonzo

Banned
Shiba Inuko 21-23
shiba22.jpg

the greatest mystery of our time. sounds like a job for the classics club

Shiba Inkuko 21-23

I'm starting to think that Shiba Inuko is Chako's schizophrenic delusion and she actually looks like a perfectly normal human high school girl.
Maybe it's genetic as her brother seems to be in on it too.

It's about as inoffensive as a CG asset can be. Y'all no I'd normally complain about these things but it actually works in this one case.
Yeah, it was easily the best implementation of CG this season, if not the year.

Looks like the second half of the Satojun motorcycle anime OVA One Off is scheduled for an October 7 Nicovideo preview, or something.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv108781518
Best news.

Psycho-Pass animation character design sheets: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=367059853372933

Edit: Just to make things clear, in Fall 2012, Akane is MAI WAIFU. The rest of you who start bandwagoning later on when she is actually cute in the show don't count!
babbys first waifu. pro waifu connoisseurs know that sasako is teh best waifu of the year

Yohoho. Long time no post. Now that TGS business days are done, I can just relax.

I bit the bullet while I was in Akiba today. Had a stupid ass amount of points on my card at Animate and managed to only spend 15,000 yen. Yaaaaaay.

Narag

Gintama 33

For a second, I thought they'd leave the house as it was rebuilt. I've never been so amazed at Gin's ability to bullshit than I was watching him con the carpenters.

Narag

Jormungand 3

Beneath the ugly CG vehicles and strange direction, there's something that fills a niche I hadn't realized I'd been longing for. Good ol' fashioned gunfights & violence are the name of the game. Suspension of disbelief is being sorely tested when stuff like bullets taking 10 seconds to hit a target less than 20 feet away is followed by a scene that shows near instantaneous impact. I'm pretty sure the lengthy part was meant to convey some sort of simultaneous action but damn if it didn't come across as awkward due to that presentation.

Narag

Casshern: Robot Hunter (1993) 2

Episode two? Might as well have been episode twelve given how far removed it is from the first. The whole myth of Casshern has been left behind, he throws a fight to start after murdering robots in the first OVA ep, a bizarre scene where Casshern visits a moonlit lake to admire the beauty of a robotic swan, and it feels like I've missed something between the first and second episodes. I'm left wondering if this was like the Gatchaman OVA where it's just unrepentantly aiming for high points using elements of the older series at the expense of some coherency.

Jarmel

Banned
Accel World-fin

I will say this, the soundtrack was the best for me this season which is very surprising. Absolutely fantastic job with all the themes and background bits. It even beat out AO which I had high hopes for. A perfect mix of mellow as well as great action pieces.

I will also compliment how fucking amazing the animation is during battle sequences. Like holy shit some of them such as the finale, or Red King's scenes, are beyond gorgeous.

Now for the bits I hated, the rest of the show. So where do I start? The overexaggeration on the part of the author, in that of overweight loners. Not only that the level of self-pity really reached insane heights to the point of Shinji at times. Nomi himself was a horrible character in that good god was he a shallow villain. Chiyu being a fucking idiot till the end.
Her bullshit excuse about not notifying her friends made me facepalm. She was working off a theory at best that she didn't know was going to work and hadn't consulted anyone else about. Let's not even mention the fact that she used the excuse that she was worried about being bugged but still was giving info to Hime that would have revealed she wasn't on Nomi's side atleast. Why the fuck would you not let your friends into the reasoning about why you're constantly screwing them over.
Taku and Hime were actually decent although I have a feeling a future season will ruin Hime too.

The first half wasn't bad, it's just Nomi's arc dragged on forever and was god awful to watch. It's like a double whammy. I mean fuck if the show had been like the first half I would probably have liked the whole thing alot more.

I really should have just watched the game bits and cut out the real life drama bullshit.

Steroyd

Accel World - End

What an annoying show, there was enough to keep me watching, yet at the same time there was the awful fuckwit Nomi, Chiyu's bullshit, NAKAMA speeches, and Haru's self loathing that made me want to kill something.

Although the show did bring up the whole animegaf banding together to tear apart a toilet scene, and for that I'll be forever grateful.

Eureka Seven AO 21
tumblr_mar4lnXOzV1qbxqfpo1_500.png

First time seeing a Sabway (subway). Ao eating was memorable as well as the whole Ao Elena stuff. Though
shes awful, he should have fired the canon so then we'd at leas not have her in this world anymore, why she hit Ao so much :(

Nakamura plot as well as Truth's plot are still interesting to me.

trejo

Hyouka 22

Aesthetically speaking, this show was pretty much sublime the whole way through. It's certainly very difficult to not be swayed by the absolutely mesmerizing visuals on display here but, then again, KyoAni are no doubt masters of their craft so obviously this comes as no surprise. If the medium were all about simply gawking at the pretty moving pictures then this would surely be one of my favorite shows ever.

However, pretty much everything else left me feeling quite frankly rather indifferent about the whole thing. Festival arc aside, it has since dawned on me that I just plain and simple don't really care for these characters, their interactions with each other or their dull and boring everyday lives.

I simply cannot shake this nagging feeling that has always persisted in the back of my mind that such amazing production values and craftmanship are completely wasted on material this painfully mundane. Someone very clearly had a lot of passion for this project but it is just not a passion I share in the slightest.

In the meantime I continue to long for the day when I can honestly say I fully enjoyed a KyoAni show again even though, sadly, today is not that day.

near

Gold Member
Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children Who Chase Lost Voices)

I really like Makoto Shinkai like really like he's work, but I can't help but feel that he didn't fulfil the potential this project had. So many good ideas that had pretty much not been executed well - there wasn't a real focal point in each idea that he tried to execute. The story in concept is brilliant, but it was written or cut poorly in terms of how each arc of the story join together. Don't get me wrong the scenario makes sense in the end, but it was more of a compilation of linked short stories rather than one long script. The ending was pretty evident of this, when the credits roll and the ED song plays there are scenes that were almost neglected shown, which kind of took the essence out of the film. There were scenes I loved and some scenes which slowed down the overall pace of the film.

The art direction is beautiful and consistent with the theme described in the film. The score is a joy to listen to and brings certain scenes to life. The characters are charismatic, but they could have been so much more. I'd really like to say that I looooved this film, but its being held back slightly by its own inability to fulfil it's own potential. I still admire Shinkai, and I hope he can prove he's the next best writer/director in the industry. :(

Tari Tari 09

I liked the show but I think I'll conclude it here. Its become a bit too predictable and while it has few things going for it, its not doing much for me. I've kind of forced myself to watch the last few episodes only not to have another unfinished series in my catalogue. PA Works need to pull it together, they have the ability to make a good show but only for it to become pointless.

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 12 (end)

My Kaidou Akki moments. I guess I liked this episode apart from the dumb boob grabbing and numerous panty shots...Though it kind of makes me want a season 2
Everything they introduce here, Kaidou's affiliations, monsters losing control in the other land, some spy for the other land in this world, as well as the Babel Tower and other tower story
. They just have to have an s2 planned or something, they cant leave it like that.
----

I guess overall Id give the anime a 4/10. Too many exposed boobs, panty shots and everything at just the wrong times, the girls peeing on themselves is unforgettable and awful as well as watching girls learn how to put a bra on, that was awkward and something I didn't want. Only time it seemed fitting was Akki in the shower and hot bath and beach, though why he not steal the guys swimshorts but only the girls... Kaidou was a good addition though needed more screentime with Akki. The magic and super power stuff was neat with its soundeffects and varied skills for just about all the characters. I think they dropped the ball with the big fight of the anime first by introducing plot too late and then just not making it something worth caring about, in which it was only good in the actual resolution of it
that red blade attack hot, and Kaidou's chain
. Faylan's music was one of my favorite this season and the ending them "my story, aru story" is catchy.

trejo

They should sell these in a bundle with those mind-controlled cat ears.

Or, ideally, they shouldn't sell either at all.

DiGiKerot

The art direction is beautiful and consistent with the theme described in the film. The score is a joy to listen to and brings certain scenes to life. The characters are charismatic, but they could have been so much more. I'd really like to say that I looooved this film, but its being held back slightly by its own inability to fulfil it's own potential. I still admire Shinkai, and I hope he can prove he's the next best writer/director in the industry. :(

Out of interest, have you seen Laputa recently? I know Makoto Shinkai is a self-confessed huge fan of the movie (because he was at the screening of Hoshi o Ou Kodomo I was at and said as much), but, man, I hadn't realised exactly how much he'd artistically cribbed from Laputa visually until I rewatched (Laputa) recently.

(I don't really like Children who Chase Lost Voices very much, to be honest, but not to a degree where I'd argue with people who do).

[Robot Carnival]

Well, it wasn't the most consistent compilation. You didn't care for the Takashi Nakamura piece influenced by Night on Bald Mountain? I thought it was pretty neat to see a robotic and technological take on the apocalyptic imagery. Robots run amuck is a very common theme, but I hadn't seen it done quite like that before.

That was certainly visually creative and striking but for some reason it didn't stick in my head, partly because its imagery is not to my personal tastes and partly because the music isn't as memorable as Mussorgsky's classic.

I still think the weakest piece was the 19th century mecha duel, which somehow managed to be racist in both the Japanese and English dubs, lol.

XUSdJ.jpg

I only watched the Japanese dub, but I was amused that the "American" foreigner was given a vaguely Eastern European accent. Aside from the above comment and his name, there's no way to tell his nationality.

Despite the racism, I didn't feel it was the weakest short, simply because the low-tech mecha were more visually engaging than, say, "Deprive" or "Starlight Angel", which were generically 80s.

Shinkai is a fantastic artist, but a mediocre storyteller. The more elaborate he makes his plots, the weaker they become. He has no sense of how to sustain a narrative from point A to B or how to let visuals serve the story instead of the other way around. He's at his best when capturing the emotion in a single important moment, such as in the first part of 5 Centimeters Per Second, which works very well.

Tari Tari 09

I liked the show but I think I'll conclude it here. Its become a bit too predictable and while it has few things going for it, its not doing much for me. I've kind of forced myself to watch the last few episodes only not to have another unfinished series in my catalogue. PA Works need to pull it together, they have the ability to make a good show but only for it to become pointless.

The fact of the matter is that PA Works doesn't have much talent when you remove Masahiro Ando from the equation.

NewFresh

I really like Makoto Shinkai like really like he's work, but I can't help but feel that he didn't fulfil the potential this project had. So many good ideas that had pretty much not been executed well - there wasn't a real focal point in each idea that he tried to execute. The story in concept is brilliant, but it was written or cut poorly in terms of how each arc of the story join together. Don't get me wrong the scenario makes sense in the end, but it was more of a compilation of linked short stories rather than one long script. The ending was pretty evident of this, when the credits roll and the ED song plays there are scenes that were almost neglected shown, which kind of took the essence out of the film. There were scenes I loved and some scenes which slowed down the overall pace of the film.

The art direction is beautiful and consistent with the theme described in the film. The score is a joy to listen to and brings certain scenes to life. The characters are charismatic, but they could have been so much more. I'd really like to say that I looooved this film, but its being held back slightly by its own inability to fulfil it's own potential. I still admire Shinkai, and I hope he can prove he's the next best writer/director in the industry. :

There is an interesting article about the cloud man himself (Shinkai) over at Tested. It focuses a bit more on digital animation, but his thoughts are worth a read.

http://www.tested.com/news/442545-2...a-interview-japanese-director-makoto-shinkai/

DiGiKerot

Anyone have anything bad to say about Royal Space Force?

There's that... one scene that feels kind of unnecessary (and was cut out from the UK release version, so I didn't even see it until years later), and some people don't like the music (but they're wrong).

That's about it, though.

duckroll

Not sure if anyone cares, but the news out of the opening of Tiger & Bunny The Beginning today in Japan revealed that the second movie will be due in Fall 2013, and it'll be called Tiger & Bunny The Rising. It will be a brand new original movie which takes place after the TV series apparently.

Not sure if anyone cares, but the news out of the opening of Tiger & Bunny The Beginning today in Japan revealed that the second movie will be due in Fall 2013, and it'll be called Tiger & Bunny The Rising. It will be a brand new original movie which takes place after the TV series apparently.

Wow such a long time to wait, I guess thats like 2014 for us in the US, two years from now even :( I wish theyd do a second season during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom