• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

Not sure if anyone cares, but the news out of the opening of Tiger & Bunny The Beginning today in Japan revealed that the second movie will be due in Fall 2013, and it'll be called Tiger & Bunny The Rising. It will be a brand new original movie which takes place after the TV series apparently.

Oh, that's cool. I've heard that The Beginning (which I should be seeing tomorrow!) introduces a new plot thread which isn't in the 2.5 episodes of the TV show it supposedly covers, so I'd figured they'd continue on with re-adapting the TV show. Completely new content is cool, though!

Uchip

Banned
Not sure if anyone cares, but the news out of the opening of Tiger & Bunny The Beginning today in Japan revealed that the second movie will be due in Fall 2013, and it'll be called Tiger & Bunny The Rising. It will be a brand new original movie which takes place after the TV series apparently.

more tiger and bunny is a good thing

near

Gold Member
Out of interest, have you seen Laputa recently? I know Makoto Shinkai is a self-confessed huge fan of the movie (because he was at the screening of Hoshi o Ou Kodomo I was at and said as much), but, man, I hadn't realised exactly how much he'd artistically cribbed from Laputa visually until I rewatched (Laputa) recently.

(I don't really like Children who Chase Lost Voices very much, to be honest, but not to a degree where I'd argue with people who do).

It's on my to watch list if I can get a hold of a copy for cheap. Its interesting that you'd mention that because a friend said the same thing and that he'd sampled a few ideas from other Ghibli films. I haven't noticed that much, but I'll look out for comparisons upon a second viewing especially when I see Laputa.

Shinkai is a fantastic artist, but a mediocre storyteller. The more elaborate he makes his plots, the weaker they become. He has no sense of how to sustain a narrative from point A to B or how to let visuals serve the story instead of the other way around. He's at his best when capturing the emotion in a single important moment, such as in the first part of 5 Centimeters Per Second, which works very well.

I agree that it wasn't able to sustain narrative upon segments of the film especially in regards to relevant and key narrative pieces. In terms of letting visuals serve the story I felt it did very well in some scenes, but not so much in others. In the end it just appears that the concept was too ambitious for he's writing abilities, too much time was spent on the overall world and themes, rather than how the world and themes are connected. It was so close to working.

The fact of the matter is that PA Works doesn't have much talent when you remove Masahiro Ando from the equation.

I think they need to recruit serveral key writers, or perhaps pick projects that wouldn't require much emotional investment to enjoy. I felt that Tari Tari was trying too hard to evoke an emotion that wasn't really there, Ando is a loss but a bigger loss would be trust I have in them! They're letting me down. :(

There is an interesting article about the cloud man himself (Shinkai) over at Tested. It focuses a bit more on digital animation, but his thoughts are worth a read.

http://www.tested.com/news/442545-2...a-interview-japanese-director-makoto-shinkai/

Thanks for the link, will definitely read through it. ;)

duckroll

I have a feeling the movies are kinda meant to be a gateway for the larger masses to get into the franchise before they launch the second season. The first movie seems to be more of an origin story movie than a straight "compilation" movie, which explains why it's an extended version of the first two episodes. So I guess with the second movie they plan on doing something more interesting with the world and characters in a movie form, rather than just taking stuff from the existing series.

Lain

Welcome To The NHK 1-24

It was pretty boring, predictable, and on the nose. Most of the time it was also fairly long winded, taking forever to really say anything, and when the words finally came out they weren't particularly moving, unique, or substantial. It really didn't do very much for me, and it certainly didn't help that every character was fairly one-dimensional.

That's because Welcome to the NHK anime is shit. People should rather read the novel or the manga and not subject themselves to such a shitty show. The only good things about it were the 1st ED and the OST.

I think they need to recruit serveral key writers, or perhaps pick projects that wouldn't require much emotional investment to enjoy. I felt that Tari Tari was trying too hard to evoke an emotion that wasn't really there, Ando is a loss but a bigger loss would be trust I have in them! They're letting me down. :(

What did P.A. Works do to create that trust? Was True Tears that good?

Uchip

Banned
That's because Welcome to the NHK anime is shit. People should rather read the novel or the manga and not subject themselves to such a shitty show. The only good things about it were the 1st ED and the OST.

some people such as myself prefer the audiovisual medium regardless of how it compares to the source material.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's the Honda-sponsored Junichi Sato OVA with Round Table feat. Nino performing both the opening and ending themes.
Hopefully it's not as disappointing as the last two animu sponsored by car manufacturers. (i still don't get why subaru would even approve a magical girl show based on their licence)

The worst feeling ever, I liked the show, characters and the information dumps
But no one made more than 2 volumes in english
Even the scanslators stopped at chapter 12
So now for the first time, I want to continue a story past the anime but CAN'T

No. And the Manga was inferior to the anime. Try again!

Campione! 12

Well for the big moment, Ive seen/heard much better and more intense passion in my yaoi manga and anime.
Erica and Kusanagi Godou's kiss was so long. Glad the bodies was kept separate as I would have closed it if it went too far, I didnt think they needed to do all of that for so long. Thought she would die though

I guess for plot, it was going in an interesting direction need more explanation on the final big event of the episode
Why two Athenas, did she split personalities or something? She was hilarious with Kusanagi Godou's sister though

Lain

Considering the manga has better character art as well as a better delivery for the type of dark humor the story makes use of, on top of not being a boring dreg to go through, I don't see how that could ever be true.

BluWacky

I didn't read the manga but I had a real issue with the way the anime portrayed events. The novel is deeply self-loathing, whereas tonally I found that the anime almost seemed to "glorify" the hikkikomori lifestyle, certainly in the early parts of the series. It just seemed like the audience was supposed to have fun watching Satou and Yamazaki doing crazy otaku things, rather than really thinking about how screwed up Satou in particular was.

Plus the anime suffers from some major moments of LOL GONZO janky art quality, as was common for Gonzo shows at the time.

Still, great OP.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The worst feeling ever, I liked the show, characters and the information dumps
But no one made more than 2 volumes in english
Even the scanslators stopped at chapter 12
So now for the first time, I want to continue a story past the anime but CAN'T

Fuck Kodansha.

So I just finished watching the latest Sword Art Online on TV, and a commercial for the upcoming Little Busters adaptation played after the credits.

Between the dead eyes and the narration by (assuming) a little girl who sounds mentally handicapped, I think I'm gonna pass.

Considering the manga has better character art as well as a better delivery for the type of dark humor the story makes use of, on top of not being a boring dreg to go through, I don't see how that could ever be true.

I prefer the anime's character art over the manga, and I found the manga just as "boring" as the anime. Plus I found the delivery of the anime to be superb, partly thanks to the great voice acting (for the most part) and the fact that it was animated made a big difference.

DiGiKerot

I didn't read the manga but I had a real issue with the way the anime portrayed events. The novel is deeply self-loathing, whereas tonally I found that the anime almost seemed to "glorify" the hikkikomori lifestyle, certainly in the early parts of the series. It just seemed like the audience was supposed to have fun watching Satou and Yamazaki doing crazy otaku things, rather than really thinking about how screwed up Satou in particular was.

The manga is somewhere in between the two tonally - it's mostly the fact that you aren't directly in Satou's head resulting in it coming across as being rather less self-loathing than the original novel was. It also goes on longer than it probably should have, continuing on way past where the novel ended.

Honestly, I kind of feel the anime completely missed the point of the novel in favour of being a vehicle to shill Misaki figures, but then I never did see it until the end, so maybe that changes.

trejo

Hopefully it's not as disappointing as the last two animu sponsored by car manufacturers. (i still don't get why subaru would even approve a magical girl show based on their licence)

It's okay. Kobayashi's character is the best thing about it.

Seriously.

Between the dead eyes and the narration by (assuming) a little girl who sounds mentally handicapped, I think I'm gonna pass.

Sounds like Key, alright.

Uchip

Banned

comparing black and white stills to animation? what madness is this?
How are you even comparing delivery? acting, editing and music vs written dialogue and panels? what?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
One Off OVA

CG Bikes.

This is unacceptable.

Also the main character was annoying for 99% of the 30 minutes, and no, the pay off wasn't worth it.

So I just finished watching the latest Sword Art Online on TV, and a commercial for the upcoming Little Busters adaptation played after the credits.

KyoAni always made the Key character art look better than the original, whereas J.C. Staff has performed the remarkable feat of making it look worse.

Lain

Estetica 12

Not bad all in all, though I would have liked the final battle to be a bit longer, given how the whole thing stretched so many episodes. Then again, that way there was enough time to show some of the other going ons behind the scenes.
Now I can only hope for a second season to come out, and do so soon.

Pachael

Moyashimon Returns 7-11

That Paris arc was more worth it than initially thought. All in all I'm quite satisfied with how S2 turned out.

KyoAni always made the Key character art look better than the original, whereas J.C. Staff has performed the remarkable feat of making it look worse.

I don't see the big difference between Clannad, the last Key adaptation of KyoAni, and Little Busters!.

92fv-2t4osjl.jpg

are all pretty subpar.

jman2050

Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden 3

Fannnservice~ So after a first third of the episode which is literally nothing we see Suguru, Mahoro, and the teacher Saori go to a bathhouse, which means more tits and breast envy jokes. Suguru has the more interesting story as he visits Miyuki's(one of his classmates) home (which is also the bath house) and see her family, which is relevant because Suguru currently doesn't have one.

Speaking of which, next day has Mahoro and him visiting the grave of his parents. And then we get a PLOT TWIST: Suguru's dad was a commander at the place Mahoro used to work for and she was forced to kill him in the process of killing an alien. Funeral, crying child-Suguru and guilt ensue. Shock, applying to be Suguru's maid wasn't an accident!

I think I've forgotten most of episode 3 already, that's how unremarkable it was. Next episode is a beach episode. Fannnservice~

Lain

I prefer the anime's character art over the manga, and I found the manga just as "boring" as the anime. Plus I found the delivery of the anime to be superb, partly thanks to the great voice acting (for the most part) and the fact that it was animated made a big difference.

I'm the opposite. I found the anime so boring that once the ED changed, I dropped it as I had nothing left to bring me to watch it (by then I had already ordered/bought the OSTs and the ED single too, so on the audio side I was set).
I started reading the manga after that and found it to be better both on the art department as well as the tone used to deliver the story, given the dark humor the story is filled with shone through way more than what I saw in the anime.

comparing black and white stills to animation? what madness is this?
How are you even comparing delivery? acting, editing and music vs written dialogue and panels? what?

Character art is character art.

Delivery, the manga made a better use of the dark tone the story is filled with. The dark humor came out better through jokes, exchanges, facial expressions, situations than what I found in the anime. There is so much awkwardness in the story that the anime didn't really convey to me yet the manga did.

jbug617

Banned
Kokoro Connect 12

Episode starts off with
baby Iori and Aoki making a joke about breast milk.
This episode revolves around Aoki and Yui but had a good mix of Taichi in it.
Nana did look like Yui and was kind of nice of Aoki's personality shine a little and the explanation of why he acts that way. Yui has another breakthrough again with Aoki and it was great to see that Aoki at age 10 now recognizes Yui.
I do like how a random conversation about Aoki ends up in argument about Taichi.

The ending and preview of the next episode is crazy.
When Inaba finally put the pieces together and discovers the reason why Taichi isn't transforming, you know Heartseed is going to punish Taichi. I could totally see Taichi being the only one to transform in the next episode as punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom