• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Saimoe Round 2 - Groups A & B, Day 4 Results

A4
1st 307 Koromo Amae @ Saki
2nd 264 Miki Hoshii @ The Idolmaster
3rd 95 Yuno Gasai @ Future Diary

B4
1st 323 Mei Misaki @ Another
2nd 199 Yozora Mikazuki @ Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
3rd 102 Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke @ Strike Witches

------------------------------------------

Today's match previews:

- Shizuno vs. Elia vs. Cthugha (pictures on this one might be a tad risque, fyi)

- Houki vs. Chihaya vs. Hajime

Goddamn Saki fans are going to ruin this match, I guarantee it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I don't see the big difference between Clannad, the last Key adaptation of KyoAni, and Little Busters!.

are all pretty subpar.

They moved the eyes up a bit and the mouth down a bit so it.

Makes a pretty big difference IMO.

Hyouka Series finale.
An amazing episode to end the series. This series started out really slow and boring but it definitely picked up and I loved the characters except for Chitanda. Going to miss this anime. Now I need a new series...

Jex

Hyouka 22

In the meantime I continue to long for the day when I can honestly say I fully enjoyed a KyoAni show again even though, sadly, today is not that day.
Somehow I get the feeling that won't be any time soon. What was the last KyoAni show that you 'fully enjoyed'?

Horizon II 11

hRcMr.jpg

Nice end to the England side of the story. The confession was nicely done, not as heavy worded as last season's which made it more enjoyable.

The remaining fights from England wasn't too bad. Nice to see the witch do something useful. Boring Spain intermission with whatever problems they have and no one really cares about but then even more action! The fights were once again really well done, nice to see even more fights starting up especially using the characters that didn't do anything in England.

Hopefully the fights would be decent at the very least.

Jex

The fact of the matter is that PA Works doesn't have much talent when you remove Masahiro Ando from the equation.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think makes their most recent works so popular with a certain fanbase?. Afterall, Angel Beats is a very well liked show in many places, although obviously not in this thread,

Jex

The manga is somewhere in between the two tonally - it's mostly the fact that you aren't directly in Satou's head resulting in it coming across as being rather less self-loathing than the original novel was. It also goes on longer than it probably should have, continuing on way past where the novel ended.

Honestly, I kind of feel the anime completely missed the point of the novel in favour of being a vehicle to shill Misaki figures, but then I never did see it until the end, so maybe that changes.

Last time I read up about the author of the novels he had become a NEET himself, which is a fairly depressing place to end up.

survivor

Banned
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 2

az4Pa.jpg
aIzmb.jpg

My favourite part of the episode. They really need to spam this moe version of Potte every episode

Will they go over how Potte became friends with Norie and Maon? I thought with the ending of the previous episode they would go through Potte's life right after she arrived, but they skipped right past the OVA.

Speaking of the OVA, the middle of the episode eyecatch thingy is really a huge downgrade compared to the OVA's version. No more dancing Potte :( On the plus side, I really like this trend of playing sentimental music right before the episode ends, very effective.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 2

Will they go over how Potte became friends with Norie and Maon? I thought with the ending of the previous episode they would go through Potte's life right after she arrived, but they skipped right past the OVA.

Speaking of the OVA, the middle of the episode eyecatch thingy is really a huge downgrade compared to the OVA's version. No more dancing Potte :( On the plus side, I really like this trend of playing sentimental music right before the episode ends, very effective.
a)
Yes.
And it's very
:firehawk-esque

b) It's the Aria touch. lol

Emunoz, what would it take for you to visit consistently?

What do I have to do for you?
Put out more!

---

Polar Bear Cafe 25

This is still generically pleasant, but as someone who still watches shows like Modern Family, I suppose there's nothing wrong with churning through the same character stories over and over again.

9FtUPl.jpg

Forever alone Grizzly-kun, for one. I mean if you look closely, you can see the tear roll down his cheek. :p

----

Kokoro Connect 12
Oh yeah, casual homophobia. lol
I suppose I don't mind the gay joke, because, hey, that's just the way the world works. And Louie made one of the best gay "jokes" this year anyway, so they can be very insightful. But they had to go and add that second line. :p

Also,
Yui's fake confession must have been a lampshading moment. I suppose that makes the triangle okay. :p

----

Campione 12
I've been quietly scrubbing through this and it's an awfully generic harem. I just thought this was the most hilarious thing I've seen in one of these generic harems in a while though:
I'll leave you to imagine the context. :p

----
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 12
And speaking of generic harems...
I can't believe they're setting up a sequel to this show.

Dresden

Accel World - 24

At some point I will go back and catch up.

Some day.

The first half was shonen haato as fuck. Shit was fucking awesome. Props for not dragging out the final execution, and for actually doing it without some redemptive bullshit. Despite everything I'm actually looking forward to the second season. I survived the NoumiTR arc, I can take anything now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Accel World - 24

At some point I will go back and catch up.

Some day.

The first half was shonen haato as fuck. Shit was fucking awesome. Props for not dragging out the final execution, and for actually doing it without some redemptive bullshit. Despite everything I'm actually looking forward to the second season. I survived the NoumiTR arc, I can take anything now.
So is it better than SAO?

And fuck, they're doing more of this show? 24 episodes WASN'T ENOUGH?

Ultimadrago

Paranoia Agent 11

No one thought of sitting Shounen Bat down and
giving him a good ol' talking to
? Shows what society knows!

Crack aside, it would seem that my interpretation about Shounen Bat's philosophy has been laid out...very openly. Regardless, of reading forward to this conclusion regarding Shounen Bat's mindset a while back, I moderately found myself at peace with the episode. The transition to Keiichi and the elderly man speaking about their hard times briefly was nice.

Keiichi's wife, however, interesting (if not, very impudent) display between her and Shounen Bat. The whole episode lays things on hard, but I find a decent reasoning as to why it pounded the central tidings home.

To state it simply,
she figured out Shounen Bat.

Now, whether this was a great general direction for the series with a couple of episodes left is more up for debate. However, Shounen Bat's
growing size, laughing, taming
along with Mrs. Ikari's laughter and bold nature set the stage for exposing the "mystery." The subtle handling and heavy shading are blown to the side by a
dying woman who already knows what manifestation she is dealing with.
I didn't adore the fact that she made a majority of Shounen Bat's existence clear when there's space left in the shoe of Paranoia Agent, but hopefully the remaining episodes will deliver a stretch that will surpass this in intrigue, while not relying on Shounen Bat. It has happened before, I can't see a reason it couldn't happen again.

I found it to be a fair episode for the series. The scenes with visual quirks were good, as usual. Of course, I wonder
"What the heck happened to Keiichi?"
Shounen Bat's size alteration
also comes to mind. Was it Mrs. Ikari's visualization from information she may have overheard in the beginning of the episode or were the rumors simply correct?

Campione 12
I've been quietly scrubbing through this and it's an awfully generic harem. I just thought this was the most hilarious thing I've seen in one of these generic harems in a while though:

I'll leave you to imagine the context. :p
----
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 12
And speaking of generic harems...
I can't believe they're setting up a sequel to this show.

It was the camera and where it would pan to whenever Erica would say something that could be taken so out of context.

Campione! > Estetica imo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's good where it counts--shit blowing up.

The Kawahara Fad is going to take some time to resolve, and in the meantime, expect lots of anime adapting his books. :D
So we're going to get another 2-cour AW and a 2-cour SAO? Fucking Japan.

Besides, if nerds are so desperate for shitty wishfulfillment, where the fuck is Infinite Stratos 2? That shit printed money!

Pain and suffering never ends. Sadly.
Anime. :(

It was the camera and where it would pan to whenever Erica would say something that could be taken so out of context.

Campione! > Estetica imo.
Yes, but they want you to think of the subtext. I mean, that was basically
an orgasm. :p

I figure the two bad shows, just in terms of both looking bad and being generic battle harems, are Dakara and Hagure. Except that Dakara went weird and deadly series (to the point where there is this ugly filter over the
"post event"
episodes to show that things have changed... so maybe it's slightly better because they're trying to do the best they can do with the material. lol

Hell no..

We need a second season and plenty of oavs ..there is plenty of material to go on ..and the best fights are yet to come .
So you're telling me that Accel World is a more complicated story than Cross Game? lol

Dresden

Besides, if nerds are so desperate for shitty wishfulfillment, where the fuck is Infinite Stratos 2? That shit printed money!
IS never had this:

iPT7Q78kqZw8H.gif

Besides, it was poised for continued success but the author was a lazy fucker who pissed away every chance he had. Reki Kawahara, on the other hand, is an honest, hard-working hack whose dedication to his craft should be rewarded with success!

Kokoro Connect 12

This was a great episode; one that sets up the conclusion to this arc quite well.

I really enjoyed the increased focus on
Aoki and Yui
, as it allowed for a significantly heightened level of insight into their personalities and struggles, which, up to this point, had been one of the very few noticeable flaws present within the story, due to their relative lack of development compared to the others.
Yui was excellent throughout this episode, as she regained the strength of her former self, due, in large part, to Aoki's considerable help. The moment where Aoki talks with his ex was a great touch, since it finally gave him the clairvoyance he needed in order to wholly distinguish between his past love for her and the love he now has for Yui. There seemed to be a distinct understanding on her part as well, which was rather unexpected, but nice. I loved the moment where Yui tightly hugs him, as it strongly develops their relationship, while also serving as a rather important breakthrough, since she was finally able to shed the particular trauma that had tormented her for so long. As such, I felt that the development of Yui and Aoki's relationship was terrific here.

Iori as a baby was adorable, especially when Inaba was carrying her in her arms.
The ending was terrific,
as Inaba realizes the meaning of Taichi's inability to be affected by this particular phenomenon.
This cliffhanger of sorts leads into the next episode exceptionally well, since
Taichi will likely be forced to endure some form of repercussion for his failure in following the one directive Heartseed had given him.
There was another excellent peek into
Iori's potentially fractured emotions, as alluded to in her brief conversation with Taichi, where it, yet again, seems as though her mother might be entirely absent from her life. This was highlighted brilliantly by the subtle change in her voice
, as it transitioned into a sort of monotonous, false recital of manufactured words.

The new OP is pretty great, and, of course, that ED really is incredibly good.

Kokoro Connect continues to excel and thoroughly satisfy with it’s story, direction, and the nuanced character development that has been gradually woven into each episode. I’m really looking forward to the conclusion of this arc, since, judging by the preview, it looks to be a rather intense episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IS never had this:

http://i.minus.com/iPT7Q78kqZw8H.gif

Besides, it was poised for continued success but the author was a lazy fucker who pissed away every chance he had. Reki Kawahara, on the other hand, is an honest, hard-working hack whose dedication to his craft should be rewarded with success!

IS had "Ichiki no echiiiiii~~~~~". That's all an anime of this sort ever needs. lol

Also Reki Kawahara - Fifty Shades of Glop?

Dynedom

Not sure if anyone cares, but the news out of the opening of Tiger & Bunny The Beginning today in Japan revealed that the second movie will be due in Fall 2013, and it'll be called Tiger & Bunny The Rising. It will be a brand new original movie which takes place after the TV series apparently.

Third movie: Tiger & Bunny Rising: Revengeance?

Jex

Not sure if anyone cares, but the news out of the opening of Tiger & Bunny The Beginning today in Japan revealed that the second movie will be due in Fall 2013, and it'll be called Tiger & Bunny The Rising. It will be a brand new original movie which takes place after the TV series apparently.

I care! I mean, I think Sunrise really butchered the writing of the show towards the end, or rather, they Sunris'd it, but that doesn't mean that future works might not be worthwhile.

Jex

It's on my to watch list if I can get a hold of a copy for cheap. Its interesting that you'd mention that because a friend said the same thing and that he'd sampled a few ideas from other Ghibli films. I haven't noticed that much, but I'll look out for comparisons upon a second viewing especially when I see Laputa.

I would even go so far as to say he's lifted various visuals from them as well, not that there's anything wrong with borrowing from the best.

Kuroko's Basketball 25 (end)

Glorious final episode even if I did cry.
Wanted Kise to win so much, why does Aominecchi have to be so overpowered like that and then to find out that wasnt all that he can do, what even?! lol wow. Oh well Kise was still amazing as well as his teammates, teamwork > individual strength everyday. Aominecchi should have helped him up there at the end when he was struggling to stand, oh well at least his captain did it.

And such a tease for the winter cup, which needs to get animated at some point in time, end anime moment
Akashi there pre and post credits looked amazing. I like his dual eye color and cant even imagine what his ability may be. Murasakibara also, like the hair color and surprised he didnt talk to Kuroko or Kuroko to him.

-------------

Overall awesome sports anime for all the ones I tried this year, blows the others out of the water and such awesome cast members and interactions, Kuroko, Kise, Kagami, Midorima, Takao, Sakurai, Aomine, for all my favorites and then most of the other opposing team side characters too. Basketball was never more amazing and always looked pretty well done especially when the special "abilities" were thrown. Only odd moment was a certain episode where part of the game basically was an AMV :( Soundtrack really was stellar, and second OP and ED were good. 10/10.

My favorite game was the last one of the inter-high.

Didn't Yumizuru stop doing IS because he got in argument with publisher over chinese publishing?

DiGiKerot

I would even go so far as to say he's lifted various visuals from them as well, not that there's anything wrong with borrowing from the best.

Well, the reason I raised Laputa specifically is because there's some obvious visual parallels between the two - the very specific artistic style in which the flashback sequences are rendered, for example, mirror similar sequences from Laputa.

Soma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom