• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

One Piece 32

SnIw9.png

It looks like Nami forgot to finish shaving this morning.

Presentation is weird given the split between the three groups but I'll just assume Luffy/Sanji being withheld is going to lead to something awesome before long. I shouldn't complain, I guess, since this is what I wanted.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's like he just stood under an ice cream dispenser and it all cemented to his head afterward.

Uchip

Banned
Completely disagree.
This show felt pretty special.
I have rewatched it at least 5 times.
something about the characters and how they were all fucked up in very human ways.
Its also a rather depressing show and it hits the subject matter squarely on the head.
Plus Misaki is suuuuuuuuper cute!

yep
NHK is amazing
and extremely relateable for me

wonzo

Banned
Accel World 24 END
accel24.jpg
accel24a.jpg

two sides of the same shitty coin

first half owned but i can't say the second half which was so laughable bad, especially the little scene at the end. maybe we'll be lucky and the inevitable second season cuts out as much of the "real world" shit as possible but i doubt it.

Breakdown:

00:00 - 11:59: FUCK YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS OWNAGE SAKUGA, talking and flying naked cartman lololololol
*meh*
*ED*

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, I'm only one episode into them having the full team, so it's subject to change. I may still switch to Team Yayoi, as she is ultra moe. Wait, is there a Team Yayoi? Am I completely off the reservation here?

I was the sole member of Team Nao for the longest time but after every single episode they gave her was subpar I had to give in and join Team Yayoi as well.

Reika is fine, the only problem with her is that she gets the lowest number of character-centric episodes of any of the five mains so what you see of her from the beginning is pretty much what you get. Fortunately the dorky oujosama act is endearing from the get-go.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Completely disagree.
This show felt pretty special.
I have rewatched it at least 5 times.
something about the characters and how they were all fucked up in very human ways.
Its also a rather depressing show and it hits the subject matter squarely on the head.
I don't really feel either of those attributes are particularly unique or special. Honestly it's not even particularly depressing when everything falls into the main character's lap.

Uchip

Banned
I don't really feel either of those attributes are particularly unique or special. Honestly it's not even particularly depressing when everything falls into the main character's lap.

and yet you seem to have no problem with generic characters...
i dont know any other show like NHK, so thats saying something

cajunator

Banned

Im not really referring to the mc. Im referring to the circumstances of the show and how all the characters in it seem miserable.

ACCEL WORLD - 24

WFsUDl.jpg

Well i liked the finale ( even though i knew about it since i'm well ahead in the novels )

I can't wait for season 2

The scene above will lead without a doubt to some delicious moments in season 2.

Can't wait for the 2 best arcs in this franchise to be animated

This episode ended with the game balance totally changed in a casual way ..kuroyuki in this episode recruted :

A rollback player ( do i need to explain how gamebreaking this is ? ), a player that is strong like a king but isn't one and that can also fly , and said player disciple..

Now that i can't get my accel world fix weekly, it's time to start the ps3 game..

Maybe he can have a Gary Stu get trapped in his favorite fantasy novel.
Maybe all of the exposure he's getting will inspire him to write about a videogame that gets trapped in the real world.
SAO and AW are ongoing novels. There's already enough material for both shows to have another full 2-cour season each, and by then, he will probably have written enough for yet another season for both shows. :p
:((

wonzo

Banned
an ln about a gary stu writing an ln about a gary stu playing an mmo

and in that mmo the gary stu writes an ln about a gary stu magically stuck in a fantasy ln

ACCEL WORLD - 24

A rollback player ( do i need to explain how gamebreaking this is ? ), a player that is strong like a king but isn't one and that can also fly , and said player disciple..

Now that i can't get my accel world fix weekly, it's time to start the ps3 game..

Darn so you knew the whole time about Chiyu and her true abilitiy? Must have been hard to resist mentioning it when people were all on the hate chiyu thing, lol. Her ability is awesome though, surprised she thought that far in advance with the stubborn Taku and Haru, who were awesome.

Robot Carnival

As far as compilations go, this felt relatively weak. Certainly it's not on the level of Memories or Genius Party. The theme of robots and human-robot interaction in particular has historically been fertile grounds for thoughtful sci-fi, but for the most part these shorts didn't go in that direction. What they do provide is lavish mechanical animation, which is always pleasant to see, and lots of destruction, which Otomo certainly is fond of.

There were a couple standouts I'd like to mention:

"Franken's Gears" (Koji Morimoto) - As the title implies, this is a Frankenstein-esque story about a mad scientist who brings life to a robot through lightening. There's a "what hath science wrought" moral that usually goes along with this kind of story, though its presentation here is perfunctory. The real point of interest, and what Morimoto was clearly most concerned with, is the sheer density of mechanical eye candy on display. The scientist's lair, besides containing the robot itself, is filled to the brim with pipes, gears, wheels, levers, layered on top of each other in a complex configuration.

Moreover, once the robot wakes up, all the mechanisms start coming apart. Not only does the robot inadvertently crush them, but they also spontaneously break apart of their own accord, rising upwards in defiance of gravity:

It makes for an impressive sight. Also worth nothing is the exaggerated pantomiming of the scientist; all his movements are portrayed as if he was an actor performing to a large theatre, trying to make his actions visible to the distant back row. This and all but two of the nine shorts are wordless, and several of them use character overacting to compensate.

"Presence" (Yasuomi Umetsu) - This is the one short that I felt was actually substantial, in the sense that it tackles meaty topics in a way that gives you things to contemplate. An engineer, unsatisfied with his wife and his mundane daily life, carefully constructs a female robot in a secret laboratory, hoping that she can give him the pleasure he lacks elsewhere. He quickly finds out that the ideal fantasies we create and seek to control can turn around, take on a life of their own, and control us. The obsessions we think we can harmlessly indulge in on the side all too easily grow to consume us until we vanish from the real world altogether.

I particularly like the setting, which mixes late 19th century England with futuristic technology in a manner that doesn't fall into a standard steampunk aesthetic.

The style of animation is very strange. All the characters move in an unnatural, ultra-smooth manner that looks way faster than it should. Thus every little gesture becomes calculated and artificial. At first my thought was that the animators screwed up and didn't make sure there were enough in-betweens, but upon further contemplation I think it's likely a very intentional choice. The nature of their movements turns the humans into the mechanical contraptions that the main character likes to toy with, wind up, and let run. It heightens the general sense of unreality which encourages an escape into the more real feeling fantasy. Similarily, there is a sense of fakeness to the main character's design:

The shape of his jaw, the way his hair connects with his scalp, his facial features - he ends up looking closer to a humanoid robot than the one he creates:

Despite her glassy eyes, the lush detail given to her hair, face, and outfit make her seem more real than real, more human than human, the ultimate escapist lure.

Or maybe Umetsu just likes drawing young females more than anything else and I'm overthinking things. Who knows!

"Cloud" (Mao Lamdo - In contrast to the two well-known figures above, I can find nothing about this person online. It's a shame, because I'd like to see more of his work.) - We follow a robot through his creation, setting out into the world, wandering through time and space, and at the end of his journey
finally becoming a real human through the patronage of an angel
. This is perhaps the most experimental short from a visual standpoint. It looks straight out of a children's storybook, complete with frames and pencil drawings:

The aesthetic is simple but pleasing, and suited to the short's contemplative mood.

As a final note, I found the bookending segments clever in their use of the "Robot Carnival" title as a physical object.

Darn so you knew the whole time about Chiyu and her true abilitiy? Must have been hard to resist mentioning it when people were all on the hate chiyu thing, lol. Her ability is awesome though, surprised she thought that far in advance with the stubborn Taku and Haru, who were awesome.

Yep i knew .. but my purpose here is to let people enjoy their anime and to provide additional information if they want.

But seeing some people reactions was fun indeed ..

I'll mention that i'm looking forward to the ps3/psp game of accel world for several chapters ( that aren't in the novels ) that will probably explain some stuff in a different way.

That's absurd.
It's not.

Accel world is built on a set of rules and you can do anything within those rules as long as your imagination allows.
I'll let you guess what is the chiyu trauma that allowed her to get this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Accel World 24... IN REAL TIME

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THERE'S LASERS AND PUNCHES FLYING EVERYWHERE

hahaha Cartman you impotent twat

hahahahahaha advent children did it first

CHIYU YOU WHORE oh wait

ALL DAT SAKUGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cartman-kun killed a dude? He's come so far. ;-;

2nd half: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

duckroll would love this episode. Well, the first half at least.

Accel World FIN

Great visuals and audio, really stupid in every other matter. I would definitely watch a second season. Four Pink Dinos out of Five.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wrong on both counts, sir! I've been on Team Nao since the beginning, and the bug episode was fuckawesome.

Oh yeah, that was pretty good. After that, though, they just sort of gave up on giving her a character beyond "Nao is athletic", "Nao is dependable" and her episodes were never quite as good again. The biggest problem she faces is being too similar to Akane, who happens to steal the spotlight between the two of them due to her larger-than-life Kansai personality.

Oh, what the hell. Team Nao.

ibwH5ASzXDvl6f.gif

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's not.

Accel world is built on a set of rules and you can do anything within those rules as long as your imagination allows.
I'll let you guess what is the chiyu trauma that allowed her to get this.

She... Wants
to turn back time... Because the past was good?

duckroll

Accel World - Episode 24 (END)

Should have edited all the Brain Burst stuff from ep23 and ep24 into a single episode. It would have fit just right, and saved us from all the other pain lol. At least now it's all over, so I won't have to complain about the shitty characters and real world crap again... until season 2!

I've enjoyed Robot Carnival ever since seeing it on Sci-Fi Channel years ago, but the best parts was the bookend sequences. Those were amazing.

While I liked the bookend sequences, I must admit they didn't greatly grab me. I wasn't particularly fond of the zombie-looking villagers and their grunts.

I'll have to check out Genius Party, I've never seen it.

Definitely do; there's a lot of great stuff contained within its two parts. Wanwa the Doggy in particular is about as close to perfection as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom